Scottish pedestrians are hard men, cyclist in hospital with serious facial injuries

MrCheerful

Jan 19, 2017, 11:43:12 AM1/19/17
A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
with a man in Edinburgh.
Both men are being treated at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
The pedestrian suffered a minor head injury during the incident which
happened on Queen's Drive at about 09:45 .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38676929

TMS320

Jan 20, 2017, 5:54:00 AM1/20/17
On 19/01/17 16:43, MrCheerful wrote:
> A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after
> colliding with a man in Edinburgh.

This is inconsistent. It ought to say either -

"A man is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
with a man in Edinburgh."

or

"A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
with a pedestrian in Edinburgh."

> Both men are being treated at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. The
> pedestrian suffered a minor head injury during the incident which
> happened on Queen's Drive at about 09:45 .

The second man is lucky the first man wasn't in a car.

MrCheerful

Jan 20, 2017, 8:13:17 AM1/20/17
Why do cyclists attempt to divert the story on to some fanciful other
possibility that did not occur?

It is certainly a good job that the cyclist did not plough into a parked
van at 20mph:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1778662.cycling_fanatic_died_after_riding_into_van/

Judith

Jan 20, 2017, 11:42:53 AM1/20/17
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:13:15 +0000, MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
It sounds from the report that the cyclist was racing.

Are races allowed on the public highway?

Still - he won't race on the public highway again.

TMS320

Jan 20, 2017, 12:16:58 PM1/20/17
On 20/01/17 13:13, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 20/01/2017 10:53, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 19/01/17 16:43, MrCheerful wrote:
>>> A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after
>>> colliding with a man in Edinburgh.
>>
>> This is inconsistent. It ought to say either -
>>
>> "A man is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
>> with a man in Edinburgh."
>>
>> or
>>
>> "A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
>> with a pedestrian in Edinburgh."
>>
>>> Both men are being treated at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. The
>>> pedestrian suffered a minor head injury during the incident which
>>> happened on Queen's Drive at about 09:45 .
>>
>> The second man is lucky the first man wasn't in a car.
>
> Why do cyclists attempt to divert the story on to some fanciful other
> possibility that did not occur?

What point were you trying to make?

> It is certainly a good job that the cyclist did not plough into a parked
> van at 20mph:

It's curious how you think that would have hurt the man on foot.

MrCheerful

Jan 20, 2017, 12:50:17 PM1/20/17
My link is relevant to cycling, your surmise is nothing to do with
cycling. Please try to stay on topic.

mycro...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 1:12:23 PM1/20/17
On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 4:43:12 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
> A cyclist is in hospital with serious facial injuries after colliding
> with a man in Edinburgh.
> Both men are being treated at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
> The pedestrian suffered a minor head injury

Was the pedestrian wearing a helmet?
If not, why not?
If yes this proves the helmet saved his life.

TMS320

Jan 22, 2017, 12:30:04 PM1/22/17
So is mine - to genuine bicycle users. You post a link, add one of your
sarky comments and leave it. What is the moral of the story?

MrCheerful

Jan 22, 2017, 12:56:34 PM1/22/17
No, you spoke of the pedestrian and a car.

The moral of my story is that cyclists need to be more careful NOT to
run into ANYTHING, in order to avoid serious injury to themselves.

TMS320

Jan 22, 2017, 6:57:10 PM1/22/17
Yes, it is totally relevant to genuine bicycle users.

> The moral of my story is that cyclists need to be more careful NOT to
> run into ANYTHING, in order to avoid serious injury to themselves.

If people harm themselves, that's entirely up to them.

mycro...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2017, 7:15:24 PM1/22/17
Removing car driver airbags and seat belts and replacing them with a large spike in the middle of the steering wheel would be a good solution.

JNugent

Jan 22, 2017, 9:37:51 PM1/22/17
On 23/01/2017 00:15, mycro...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 5:56:34 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
>> On 22/01/2017 17:30, TMS320 wrote:
>>> On 20/01/17 17:50, MrCheerful wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> So is mine - to genuine bicycle users. You post a link, add one of your
>>> sarky comments and leave it. What is the moral of the story?

>> No, you spoke of the pedestrian and a car.

>> The moral of my story is that cyclists need to be more careful NOT to
>> run into ANYTHING, in order to avoid serious injury to themselves.

> Removing car driver airbags and seat belts and replacing them with a large spike in the middle of the steering wheel would be a good solution.

Congratulations.

You are now firmly in the running for UKRC "Funny" post of the year, 1997.

MrCheerful

Jan 23, 2017, 3:02:20 AM1/23/17
I can remember hearing the proposal over 50 years ago, petrol tanks
mounted on the front bumper was a similar jolly idea. Could be good
though, mow down and barbecue cyclists at the same time, could also
reduce the expense of cremation, just put the remains straight into the
cremulator.