Viable form of transport?

Tarcap

May 31, 2015, 11:00:57 AM5/31/15
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32950173

Quote........."It appeared Mr Kerry hit a curb and there was no vehicle
involved in the accident, a state department official was quoted as saying
by the Associated Press"........

I wonder who the psycholists ( or fuckwits, as Peter Keller insists they
should be known as) are going to blame for that one?

Peter Keller

Jun 1, 2015, 5:19:24 AM6/1/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 16:00:53 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

> fuckwits,

Thanks very much kind sir for that great honour.
Now please give me the further accolade from you of being devious,
revisionist, narrow and manipulative.
After all I do use a bike as a very viable form of transport for many
things.

TPT

Jun 1, 2015, 4:26:54 PM6/1/15
How is Michael Schumacher these days?

Tarcap

Jun 2, 2015, 4:14:27 AM6/2/15

"TPT" wrote in message
Do you mean the racing driver who used to drive round the track at extremely
high speeds safely?
Or do you mean the skier who was not using a viable means of transport, when
he received life threatening and life changing injuries?

Simon Jester

Jun 2, 2015, 5:49:04 PM6/2/15
On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:14:27 AM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "TPT" wrote in message

> How is Michael Schumacher these days?
>
> Do you mean the racing driver who used to drive round the track at extremely
> high speeds safely?

We all know Schumacher never crashed his racing car

> Or do you mean the skier who was not using a viable means of transport, when
> he received life threatening and life changing injuries?

Not possible, he was wearing a helmet.

Tarcap

Jun 3, 2015, 2:42:14 AM6/3/15

"Simon Jester" wrote in message
You'll have to show us where anyone has ever claimed a helmet would make
someone invulnerable, other than safer.
Other than in your very fertile mind, of course.
I won't be holding my breath.

Mrcheerful

Jun 3, 2015, 3:09:16 AM6/3/15
"Doctors credit his helmet with saving his life, saying he likely would
have died had he not been wearing one. But this weekend a new fact
emerged: the GoPro mounted to his helmet is reportedly what caused the
brain damage.

The claim was made by French journalist Jean-Louis Moncet who, after
speaking to Schumacher’s son (who was on that skiing trip), went on a
radio show and stated that, “The problem for Michael was not the hit,
but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet that
injured his brain.”

When I taught road safety to young motorcyclists we stressed that
anything attached to a helmet could reduce its integrity or even make it
life threatening in a crash situation. So the fashion of cyclists to
stick a camera to their skid lids is really counterproductive.

TPT

Jun 3, 2015, 4:06:37 AM6/3/15
On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 23:49:04 UTC+2, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:14:27 AM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> > "TPT" wrote in message
>

> > How is Michael Schumacher these days?
> >
> > Do you mean the racing driver who used to drive round the track at extremely
> > high speeds safely?
>
> We all know Schumacher never crashed his racing car

Only into Damon Hill!

> > Or do you mean the skier who was not using a viable means of transport, when
> > he received life threatening and life changing injuries?
>
> Not possible, he was wearing a helmet.

Yes - his magic hat protected him from serious head injuries - oh wait.

Mrcheerful

Jun 3, 2015, 4:09:57 AM6/3/15
He is still alive thanks to his helmet:

"While skiing through an unsecured area in the French Alps, Schumacher
crashed and slammed his head into a rock.

Tarcap

Jun 3, 2015, 6:41:18 AM6/3/15

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message news:nDybx.609699$JH2....@fx11.am4...
Yes, but that's hardly going to be a problem with cyclists, is it?

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 2:23:14 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:09:16 AM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:

> "Doctors credit his helmet with saving his life, saying he likely would
> have died had he not been wearing one.

More medical Gods complex.

Doctors are not trained in mechanics or materials.

There is no way to predict what would have happened without the helmet.

Alycidon

Jun 3, 2015, 3:09:25 PM6/3/15
Don't doctors have to pass a degree in material sciences as well as the medical stuff? If not then they have no clue as to the construction and properties of expanded polystyrene hats vs concrete.

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 3:37:05 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:09:25 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:

> Don't doctors have to pass a degree in material sciences as well as the medical stuff? If not then they have no clue as to the construction and properties of expanded polystyrene hats vs concrete.

Some years ago a driver told me I was 'going to die' if I kept 'cycling like that.'
I was cycling about a metre out from the kerb, safe but not obstructing secondary traffic.
Apparently the driver was a 'brain surgeon' and therefore an expert on cycling.

JNugent

Jun 3, 2015, 3:39:14 PM6/3/15
Are you always so credulous?

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 4:02:14 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:39:14 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

> Are you always so credulous?

Being a medical professional does not make you an expert on cycling.
Or the efficacy of helmets, skiing or cycling.

Alycidon

Jun 3, 2015, 4:08:23 PM6/3/15
My obese and unfit ex gaffer told me that cycling was dangerous - I told him that it was more dangerous NOT to cycle. He retired at 50 and is now dead from a heart attack. Point proved.

JNugent

Jun 3, 2015, 4:12:00 PM6/3/15
And neither does being a "motorist" make you a brain surgeon.

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 4:13:48 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 9:06:37 AM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 23:49:04 UTC+2, Simon Jester wrote:

> > We all know Schumacher never crashed his racing car
>
> Only into Damon Hill!

Is that the time Schumacher continued to drive with only 3 wheels?
no grip, no steering, no brakes, perfectly safe.

Tarcap

Jun 3, 2015, 4:16:45 PM6/3/15

"Simon Jester" wrote in message
Were they both badly injured?
Or not at all, perhaps?

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 4:18:24 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 9:12:00 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

> And neither does being a "motorist" make you a brain surgeon.

Thanks for proving my point.

Tarcap

Jun 3, 2015, 4:19:10 PM6/3/15

"Alycidon" wrote in message
Oh, so there is no alternative exercise to cycling, then?
And all those who don't cycle die prematurely?

Could we possibly have a cite for this, please?

Simon Jester

Jun 3, 2015, 4:21:02 PM6/3/15
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 9:16:45 PM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "Simon Jester" wrote in message

> Were they both badly injured?
> Or not at all, perhaps?

So it's OK for motorists to drive with defective vehicles so long as they don't 'badly injure' someone?

David Lang

Jun 3, 2015, 7:45:24 PM6/3/15
On 03/06/2015 19:23, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:09:16 AM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
>
>> "Doctors credit his helmet with saving his life, saying he likely would
>> have died had he not been wearing one.
>
> More medical Gods complex.

Swimming in Egypt again?

> Doctors are not trained in mechanics or materials.

But they are trained and experienced in trauma injuries. And you are - not.

> There is no way to predict what would have happened without the helmet.

I'm afraid there is. If you are an experienced medical professional and
not a cyclists idiot.

David Lang

Jun 3, 2015, 7:46:25 PM6/3/15
Oh dear, another retard in denial.

David Lang

Jun 3, 2015, 7:49:03 PM6/3/15
On 03/06/2015 20:37, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:09:25 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
>
>> Don't doctors have to pass a degree in material sciences as well as the medical stuff? If not then they have no clue as to the construction and properties of expanded polystyrene hats vs concrete.
>
> Some years ago a driver told me I was 'going to die' if I kept 'cycling like that.'

Alas the contract failed.

> I was cycling about a metre out from the kerb, safe but not obstructing secondary traffic.

You were clearly obstructing tax paying drivers. Your place is in the
gutter.

> Apparently the driver was a 'brain surgeon' and therefore an expert on cycling.

You actually believed that? Oh dear.

David Lang

Jun 3, 2015, 7:50:19 PM6/3/15
He believes a push bike is a form of transport, so he clearly is.

David Lang

Jun 3, 2015, 7:52:34 PM6/3/15
On 03/06/2015 21:02, Simon Jester wrote:
Being a cyclist does not make you an expert on trauma.

Or indeed anything else.

Alycidon

Jun 4, 2015, 2:59:14 AM6/4/15
On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 22:02:14 UTC+2, Simon Jester wrote:

> Being a medical professional does not make you an expert on cycling.
> Or the efficacy of helmets, skiing or cycling.

If it did, then would the said medic advise car occupants who he has treated for head trauma after a RT collision to wear driving helmets in the future?

Peter Keller

Jun 4, 2015, 5:25:54 AM6/4/15
> He believes a push bike is a form of transport, and it clearly is.

IFYPFY

Peter Keller

Jun 4, 2015, 5:28:39 AM6/4/15
Why do people insult others?

In their own real life, most of the insulters are probably insecure and
have low self-esteem, but online they can be anyone they want to be, like
a bully or religious fundie, and no one knows who they really are. They
can get the drama, but not pay the consequences of starting it.

Tarcap

Jun 4, 2015, 5:52:15 AM6/4/15

"Peter Keller" wrote in message news:mkp5ls$7th$6...@dont-email.me...
Why do pots insist on calling the kettle black?

Tarcap

Jun 4, 2015, 6:00:58 AM6/4/15

"Simon Jester" wrote in message
Are you calling Michael Schumaker and Damon Hill motorists?

Perhaps I should point out that they were racing on a private purpose
designed circuit, and neither were injured at all.
Unlike the cyclists we have seen killed or injured by racing on public
roads.
Or riding into the back of parked cars because they were not looking where
they were going.

David Lang

Jun 4, 2015, 12:36:53 PM6/4/15
Oh dear, another retarded cyclist.

Motorists have seat belts, pre tensioners, air bags, crumple zones and a
steel cage. Cyclists have Lycra.

David Lang

Jun 4, 2015, 12:39:02 PM6/4/15
Well, my obese and unfit ex gaffer told me that cycling was dangerous -
an idiot told him that it was more dangerous NOT to cycle. He retired at
70 and died of natural causes at 89. Point proved.

Alycidon

Jun 4, 2015, 2:41:57 PM6/4/15
Yet car occupants make up the majority of head injuries in hospitals, followed by pedestrians.

Mrcheerful

Jun 4, 2015, 3:06:39 PM6/4/15
and how many of each class of road user are there? otherwise your
'point' is useless. You really have not improved at all.

David Lang

Jun 4, 2015, 3:43:25 PM6/4/15
On 04/06/2015 19:41, Alycidon wrote:
But not by miles traveled.

Alycidon

Jun 4, 2015, 3:49:04 PM6/4/15
So much for the air bags and other contraptions if car occupants STILL make up the majority of head trauma cases DESPITE these devices. Better to have none at all and to drive more carefully instead.

David Lang

Jun 4, 2015, 4:03:10 PM6/4/15
Oh dear, my dim witted lycra clad retard.

There are 33,000,000 motorists doing an average of 12,000 mile per year.
1,754 were killed. Do the math.

Alycidon

Jun 4, 2015, 4:18:02 PM6/4/15
Already done.
Chances of being killed in a car crash - 1 in 698.
Chances of being killed in a cycling accident - 1 in 6568.

HTH.

Bret Cahill

Jun 5, 2015, 12:51:43 AM6/5/15
> Quote........."It appeared Mr Kerry hit a curb

The Denver - Boulder area has beveled curbs, not only safer for cyclists but it's easier for motor vehicles with a large turning radius to do U turns.

Some places like Mexicali have 90 degree straight up curbs that are over 35 cm high.

Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill

Jun 5, 2015, 12:54:04 AM6/5/15
> > So much for the air bags and other contraptions if car occupants
> > STILL make up the majority of head trauma cases DESPITE these
> > devices. Better to have none at all and to drive more carefully
> > instead.
> >
> Oh dear, my dim witted lycra clad retard.
>
> There are 33,000,000 motorists doing an average of 12,000 mile per year.
> 1,754 were killed. Do the math.

Everyone dies sooner or later. The difference is cyclists leave behind a good looking cadaver.

Peter Keller

Jun 5, 2015, 5:13:41 AM6/5/15
I don't give a stuff.
My post stands.

Peter Keller

Jun 5, 2015, 5:15:02 AM6/5/15

Peter Keller

Jun 5, 2015, 5:15:53 AM6/5/15
On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 17:37:03 +0100, David Lang wrote:

> Motorists have seat belts, pre tensioners, air bags, crumple zones and a
> steel cage. Some cyclists have Lycra.

IFYPFY

Tarcap

Jun 5, 2015, 7:59:49 AM6/5/15

"Peter Keller" wrote in message news:mkrp5p$6bt$7...@dont-email.me...
But is completely rendered invalid and pointless by your continual posting
of insults on here.

David Lang

Jun 5, 2015, 12:32:28 PM6/5/15
Not true. They leave behind a cadaver looking like a tosser.

David Lang

Jun 5, 2015, 5:38:10 PM6/5/15
Sorry, it doesn't. Figures from an idiot who doesn't understand them
rarely help.

3.1 billion vehicle miles were travelled on pedal cycles, 1% of all
vehicle miles taken on the roads

Per billion passenger kilometers 1.2 car passengers died compared to
21.7 cyclists. Only motorcyclists have a higher death rate.

Peter Keller

Jun 6, 2015, 4:28:21 AM6/6/15

Peter Keller

Jun 6, 2015, 4:29:25 AM6/6/15
That is a real compliment coming from you.
Thanks very much.

Judith

Jun 19, 2015, 6:42:18 PM6/19/15
On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 12:09:23 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 20:23:14 UTC+2, Simon Jester wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:09:16 AM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
>>
>> > "Doctors credit his helmet with saving his life, saying he likely would
>> > have died had he not been wearing one.
>>
>> More medical Gods complex.
>>
>> Doctors are not trained in mechanics or materials.
>>
>> There is no way to predict what would have happened without the helmet.
>
>Don't doctors have to pass a degree in material sciences as well as the medical stuff? If not then they have no clue as to the construction and properties of expanded polystyrene hats vs concrete.

Perhaps they have just read all the scientific research which shows the
benefits of them.

Judith

Jun 19, 2015, 6:44:05 PM6/19/15
On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 11:41:56 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Yet car occupants make up the majority of head injuries in hospitals, followed by pedestrians.

Does the pedestrian figure include those hit by cyclists on the pavements who
have then buggered off smartish?

Judith

Jun 19, 2015, 6:45:08 PM6/19/15
I bet you don't wear your seat belt - do you?

Judith

Jun 19, 2015, 6:48:31 PM6/19/15
Chances of been run in to by a car whilst walking on the pavement and requiring
a hospital visit: negligible
Chances of being run in to by a cyclist whilst walking on the pavement and
requiring a hospital visit: highly likely.