Most reliable car of all time???

Matt

Jul 20, 2007, 6:13:07 PM7/20/07
Any thoughts.

I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

SteveH

Jul 20, 2007, 6:24:46 PM7/20/07
Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Any thoughts.

Don't really care - if the only thing you can say about a car is that
it's reliable.....

> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

Why sadly? - they're just about the dullest car ever produced.

I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

Matt

Jul 20, 2007, 6:28:24 PM7/20/07

"SteveH" <st...@italiancar.co.uk> wrote in message

> Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts.
>
> Don't really care - if the only thing you can say about a car is that
> it's reliable.....
>
>> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)
>
> Why sadly? - they're just about the dullest car ever produced.

In what way. I have a friend who owns one and it is lovely.

> I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.

Steve, even I dont think that you're being totally honest! I had a Montego
which was comfortable. But crap.

SteveH

Jul 20, 2007, 6:32:38 PM7/20/07
Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "SteveH" <st...@italiancar.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Any thoughts.
> >
> > Don't really care - if the only thing you can say about a car is that
> > it's reliable.....
> >
> >> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)
> >
> > Why sadly? - they're just about the dullest car ever produced.
>
> In what way. I have a friend who owns one and it is lovely.

'Lovely'. That just about sums things up.

'Reliable' and 'lovely'.

> > I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.
>
> Steve, even I dont think that you're being totally honest! I had a Montego
> which was comfortable. But crap.

Crap, they may be, but they have infinitely more character than an
Avensis.

Matt

Jul 20, 2007, 6:41:08 PM7/20/07

> Crap, they may be, but they have infinitely more character than an
> Avensis.

Having character is a great thing. But being a character at 2am on the hard
shoulder on a December's morning?. Give me lovely!!!

Stuart G Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 7:03:51 PM7/20/07
"Matt" <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:Traoi.572$4_3.75
@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Any thoughts.
>
> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

In my personal experience, a Volvo 740.

--
Stuart G Gray (Tunku)

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in the
above post"

SteveH

Jul 20, 2007, 7:05:41 PM7/20/07
Stuart G Gray <stuartggr...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> "Matt" <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:Traoi.572$4_3.75
> @fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
>
> > Any thoughts.
> >
> > I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)
> >

> In my personal experience, a Volvo 740.

You sick bastard.

Guy King

Jul 21, 2007, 5:23:29 AM7/21/07
The message <1i1koyn.15mjvd9k1qjw2N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>
from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

> I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.

I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the turbo
Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.

--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

Guy King

Jul 21, 2007, 5:25:26 AM7/21/07
The message <1i1kpco.7c7py1qw85ehN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>

from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

> > Steve, even I dont think that you're being totally honest! I had a Montego

> > which was comfortable. But crap.

> Crap, they may be, but they have infinitely more character than an
> Avensis.

My old Montego's still going, still lugging five kids about, still
towing the caravan, still climing the pass from Rhigos to Treherbert,
still starting every time. Sometimes wish I hadn't flogged it!

SteveH

Jul 21, 2007, 5:32:04 AM7/21/07
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The message <1i1koyn.15mjvd9k1qjw2N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>
> from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:
>
> > I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.
>
> I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the turbo
> Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.

Erm, they did, didn't they?

Very late on, though - in 1992.

R D S

Jul 21, 2007, 5:35:01 AM7/21/07

"Matt" <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Any thoughts.
>
> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

My first car was a 1.2 Corolla, the old S reg, it was the same as the white
one Lumley used to drive in The (new?) Avengers but in bright orange.

It looked like shit but never ceased to amaze me, unfortunately it met it's
demise when my dickhead mate drove it into a tree.

Elder

Jul 21, 2007, 6:21:15 AM7/21/07
In article <5ge2afF...@mid.individual.net>, rsa...@gmail.com
says...

>My first car was a 1.2 Corolla, the old S reg, it was the same as the white
>one Lumley used to drive in The (new?) Avengers but in bright orange.
>
>It looked like shit but never ceased to amaze me, unfortunately it met it's
>demise when my dickhead mate drove it into a tree.

My ex boss had a corolla executive that he drove for a month with the
rad hoses connected together because the rad eventually failed after 6
MOTs had "advised" him about external radiator corrosion.

He was cheap he couldn't find a seconhand corolla radiator he was
willing splash out on for so long.

He would just top it up somehow at the start and end of each drive.

He had the car for 10 years and it was his only car until he bought a
merc AMG.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Yvan

Jul 21, 2007, 9:58:06 AM7/21/07
Nedavno R D S napisa:

> My first car was a 1.2 Corolla, the old S reg

I often find this sort of information in uk.* newsgroups, but I found
no information on UK car registration system.

Can you explain? What is S reg? N reg?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

asahartz

Jul 21, 2007, 10:20:25 AM7/21/07
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:58:06 +0200, Yvan <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Nedavno R D S napisa:
>

>> My first car was a 1.2 Corolla, the old S reg
>

>I often find this sort of information in uk.* newsgroups, but I found
>no information on UK car registration system.
>
>Can you explain? What is S reg? N reg?

It's a bit complicated as there are several systems in existence. Try
here http://www.ukcar.com/features/reg_year.htm and here
http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/ukregistrations.html for a full explanation.
--
asahartz woz ere

Guy King

Jul 21, 2007, 1:52:24 PM7/21/07
The message <1i1ljwd.18mea6ubygj6iN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>

from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

> > I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the turbo

> > Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.

> Erm, they did, didn't they?

> Very late on, though - in 1992.

Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.

SteveH

Jul 21, 2007, 1:55:17 PM7/21/07
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The message <1i1ljwd.18mea6ubygj6iN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>
> from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:
>
> > > I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the turbo
> > > Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.
>
> > Erm, they did, didn't they?
>
> > Very late on, though - in 1992.
>
> Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.

I googled for it, and that's what I found.

Could be wrong, I suppose.

Yvan

Jul 21, 2007, 2:42:22 PM7/21/07
Nedavno asahartz napisa:

> >I often find this sort of information in uk.* newsgroups, but I found
> >no information on UK car registration system.
> >
> >Can you explain? What is S reg? N reg?
>
> It's a bit complicated as there are several systems in existence. Try
> here http://www.ukcar.com/features/reg_year.htm and here
> http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/ukregistrations.html for a full
> explanation.

Woooow, what a complicated system(s).

Over here (Serbia) it's two letters for a city (like BG for Belgrade)
and five or six numbers (depending of size of the city).

Pete M

Jul 21, 2007, 7:59:37 PM7/21/07
In news:Traoi.572$4_3...@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wittered on forthwith;

> Any thoughts.
>
> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

I've never known a properly serviced Avensis to break down either.

They're dull but infinately capable, good on fuel and comfy too.

Most reliable car I've ever owned was a truly horrible old Datsun Bluebird
1.8. Bought it for £60 when it was about 12 years old from a friends dad
who'd had it from new. It had 70k miles or so on the clock and needed a
clutch - not the cars fault as the clutch had been slipped in the bloody
thing everywhere it'd been driven by his wife. Clutch cost £40 and took
about half an hour to fit. I owned it when I was severely skint and living
in a flat that was above my budget. Drove the Bluebird for about 6 months
and did zero servicing to it apart from front brake pads. Totally 100%
reliable in every way no matter how badly abused.

I later discovered from my mate that his dad had never had the thing
serviced in the 13 years he'd had it. Not one oil change, no plugs, even the
battery was the original one. It had had an exhaust and a set of tyres
though.

--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi Mk2 2.0 8v

Currently listening to The Fools - Enjoy it!

asahartz

Jul 21, 2007, 8:17:06 PM7/21/07
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:42:22 +0200, Yvan <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Nedavno asahartz napisa:
>
>> >I often find this sort of information in uk.* newsgroups, but I found
>> >no information on UK car registration system.
>> >
>> >Can you explain? What is S reg? N reg?
>>
>> It's a bit complicated as there are several systems in existence. Try
>> here http://www.ukcar.com/features/reg_year.htm and here
>> http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/ukregistrations.html for a full
>> explanation.
>

>Woooow, what a complicated system(s).
>
>Over here (Serbia) it's two letters for a city (like BG for Belgrade)
>and five or six numbers (depending of size of the city).

I guess we just have so many more cars here! I've driven in France,
Belgium, Holland, Germany, even the dreaded Paris Peripherique at 5pm.
Nowhere have I ever found the roads as congested as in Britain.
--
asahartz woz ere

Yvan

Jul 22, 2007, 2:24:19 AM7/22/07
Nedavno asahartz napisa:

> >Woooow, what a complicated system(s).
> >
> >Over here (Serbia) it's two letters for a city (like BG for Belgrade)
> >and five or six numbers (depending of size of the city).
>
> I guess we just have so many more cars here! I've driven in France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, even the dreaded Paris Peripherique at 5pm.
> Nowhere have I ever found the roads as congested as in Britain.

You certainly have more cars than over here. But I guess you could find
a simpler system for registration. I wonder how is it in the EU. I
noticed that some of the members have similar (if not the same)
registration system, the only difference is the (small) country sign in
front.

But I guess that you (being British) had to stick to your tradition,
and have the system similar to the original one from 1904.

Zathras

Jul 22, 2007, 3:08:34 AM7/22/07
My requirements for a *reliable* car are: starts without any
difficulty and performs the task of driving from A to B without any
car-related problem that affects speed, comfort or safety - every
time.

In this respect, and I'm genuinely surprised to be saying it, my Alfa
156 2.4JTD which I've had for over six years and done 50,000 miles in
has been bullet proof. Easily, and vastly, better than any previous
car I've had experience of in over 25 years of driving. I've totally
wasted my AA membership money!

Perhaps I have the *only* reliable Alfa considering their reputation
but..no..the petrols were a too delicate, the selespeeds much more so
and the reputation continued to be hammered as a result. This obscured
the possibility of people noticing that Alfa diesels are actually
superb cars - something I've been saying for seven years now..(fingers
well crossed for today's morning start!..)

DervMan

Jul 22, 2007, 4:17:09 AM7/22/07
"Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> The message <1i1ljwd.18mea6ubygj6iN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>
> from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:
>
>> > I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the
>> > turbo
>> > Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.
>
>> Erm, they did, didn't they?
>
>> Very late on, though - in 1992.
>
> Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.

Nope - there was a MG Turbo version of the Maestro. And it was bonkers.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Steve B

Jul 22, 2007, 4:39:20 AM7/22/07

"Pete M" <pete....@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:f7u6l9$t38$1...@registered.motzarella.org...

> In news:Traoi.572$4_3...@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
> Matt <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wittered on forthwith;
>> Any thoughts.
>>
>> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)
>
> I've never known a properly serviced Avensis to break down either.
>
> They're dull but infinately capable, good on fuel and comfy too.
>
> Most reliable car I've ever owned was a truly horrible old Datsun Bluebird
> 1.8. Bought it for £60 when it was about 12 years old from a friends dad
> who'd had it from new. It had 70k miles or so on the clock and needed a
> clutch - not the cars fault as the clutch had been slipped in the bloody
> thing everywhere it'd been driven by his wife. Clutch cost £40 and took
> about half an hour to fit. I owned it when I was severely skint and living
> in a flat that was above my budget. Drove the Bluebird for about 6 months
> and did zero servicing to it apart from front brake pads. Totally 100%
> reliable in every way no matter how badly abused.
>
> I later discovered from my mate that his dad had never had the thing
> serviced in the 13 years he'd had it. Not one oil change, no plugs, even
> the battery was the original one. It had had an exhaust and a set of tyres
> though.

The Bluebird replacement Primera in about 1990 was much nicer to drive, and
very reliable still, especially once it had been in production a couple of
years, up to 99 when some cost cutting took place but was still OK until the
Renault partnership took its toll in 2002. In 87,000m my '97 2.0 has had
one exhaust system (at 8yrs), one rear washer non-return valve (at 9yrs) and
a front suspension top link that I decided was too noisy (at 9yrs) which the
MOT garage said it was fine. It's also had oil changes every 6k, more than
recommended, as had my last Primera with a similar record that got smacked
by a Granada at 158,000m. The 96 on ones don't rust either, and older ones
are still pretty good apart from radiators that corrode.

The thing about some cars though is that they may be reliable, but do they
drive any good when they're old? Primeras do. In fact, with modern tyres
they drive better than ever, mileage doesn't seem to matter but I'm not sure
they could put up with NO oil changes like a Bluebird could.

SteveH

Jul 22, 2007, 4:56:55 AM7/22/07
DervMan <thede...@gmail.com> wrote:

Erm, we're talking about the diesel.

Guy King

Jul 22, 2007, 5:00:11 AM7/22/07
The message <46a312a5$0$24747$da0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
from "DervMan" <thede...@gmail.com> contains these words:

> >> Erm, they did, didn't they?
> >
> >> Very late on, though - in 1992.
> >
> > Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.

> Nope - there was a MG Turbo version of the Maestro. And it was bonkers.

Yes, but that was petrol. What I said was that I didn't think they put
the turbo Prima engine in the Maestro. I know they put it in the Montego
- I had one!

Guy King

Jul 22, 2007, 5:03:22 AM7/22/07
The message <46a312a5$0$24747$da0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
from "DervMan" <thede...@gmail.com> contains these words:

<MG-turbo Maestro>
> And it was bonkers.

Only on corners.

Colin Wilson

Jul 22, 2007, 5:12:21 AM7/22/07
> I've never known a properly serviced Avensis to break down either.

I'm not a mechanic, but I know two people in our place with company
cars had engines blow on the Avensis - and had been properly serviced.
AFAIK they were complete replacement engine jobs, so it was a "major"
fault.

A third, possibly just a really unlucky guy - had three (IIRC) tyres
blow out on him in his Avensis what I think was a very short period of
time. His car had laid idle for around 12 months due to a health
problem - whether the blow-outs occurred before it was laid up I don't
know (but should be able to find out).

DervMan

Jul 22, 2007, 6:03:35 AM7/22/07
"Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <46a312a5$0$24747$da0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
> from "DervMan" <thede...@gmail.com> contains these words:

>> > Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.
>

>> Nope - there was a MG Turbo version of the Maestro. And it was bonkers.
>
> Yes, but that was petrol. What I said was that I didn't think they put
> the turbo Prima engine in the Maestro. I know they put it in the Montego
> - I had one!

D'oh.

However, Rover did use the turbodiesel in the Maestro. Optional power
steering and a sunroof: my Dad leased two, one without PAS, one with. PAS
made it a much, much nicer machine.

It was advertised as "100 mph 100 mpg."

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

DervMan

Jul 22, 2007, 6:06:26 AM7/22/07
"Colin Wilson" <REMOVEEVERYTHI...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk> wrote
in message news:MPG.210d2fcf...@news.individual.net...

>> I've never known a properly serviced Avensis to break down either.
>
> I'm not a mechanic, but I know two people in our place with company
> cars had engines blow on the Avensis - and had been properly serviced.
> AFAIK they were complete replacement engine jobs, so it was a "major"
> fault.

I should say. Sounds unusual. We used to give our cretins, sorry, our
"less than mechanically sympathetic" company car drivers the Toyota Carina
E, because when the Laguna "just died" and then the Peugeot "just died," we
figured this oaf was the cause.

(This idiot had no mechanical sympathy and didn't bother to check the
fluids, which was a sackable offence - but my boss was too stupid to try to
sack him heh).

> A third, possibly just a really unlucky guy - had three (IIRC) tyres
> blow out on him in his Avensis what I think was a very short period of
> time. His car had laid idle for around 12 months due to a health
> problem - whether the blow-outs occurred before it was laid up I don't
> know (but should be able to find out).

Incorrect inflation perhaps. Three again sounds unusual!

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

asahartz

Jul 22, 2007, 2:44:22 PM7/22/07
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:24:19 +0200, Yvan <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Nedavno asahartz napisa:
>
>> >Woooow, what a complicated system(s).
>> >
>> >Over here (Serbia) it's two letters for a city (like BG for Belgrade)
>> >and five or six numbers (depending of size of the city).
>>
>> I guess we just have so many more cars here! I've driven in France,
>> Belgium, Holland, Germany, even the dreaded Paris Peripherique at 5pm.
>> Nowhere have I ever found the roads as congested as in Britain.
>

>You certainly have more cars than over here. But I guess you could find
>a simpler system for registration. I wonder how is it in the EU. I
>noticed that some of the members have similar (if not the same)
>registration system, the only difference is the (small) country sign in
>front.
>
>But I guess that you (being British) had to stick to your tradition,
>and have the system similar to the original one from 1904.

In part maybe. But there are also commercial forces involved here. The
motor retailers like a system with something showing the year. This is
so that they can sell new cars to all those people who like to show off
that they have a new car, with the latest registration letter/number.
--
asahartz woz ere

Colin Wilson

Jul 22, 2007, 3:09:34 PM7/22/07
> > A third, possibly just a really unlucky guy - had three (IIRC) tyres
> > blow out on him in his Avensis
> Incorrect inflation perhaps. Three again sounds unusual!

I was close to buying it too (it was end-of-lease, to be sold off
cheap) but the valuation came in a couple of thousand more than other
Avensis' had sold for (possibly a higher spec) - only then did I find
out about the blowouts and I started to get worried :-p

Yvan

Jul 22, 2007, 3:47:38 PM7/22/07
Nedavno asahartz napisa:

> In part maybe. But there are also commercial forces involved here. The
> motor retailers like a system with something showing the year. This is
> so that they can sell new cars to all those people who like to show
> off that they have a new car, with the latest registration
> letter/number.

Where I am, when you buy used car, (usually) old plates are returned,
and new owner gets new plates.

Duncan Wood

Jul 22, 2007, 4:38:03 PM7/22/07
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:56:55 +0100, SteveH <st...@italiancar.co.uk> wrote:

> DervMan <thede...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > The message <1i1ljwd.18mea6ubygj6iN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>
>> > from st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

>> > Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.
>>

>> Nope - there was a MG Turbo version of the Maestro. And it was bonkers.
>
> Erm, we're talking about the diesel.

Somewhat different. But thet did fit the TD towards the end.

Zimmy

Jul 23, 2007, 5:01:30 AM7/23/07

"Matt" <ma...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Any thoughts.
>
> I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

For me its the Mk3 Polo, but the Mk2s lasted well too.

gazzafield

Jul 23, 2007, 5:19:12 AM7/23/07

"asahartz" <asah...@hotMEATPIEmail.com> wrote in message

The police also wanted to keep an age related plate as that is usually the
part witnesses remember if they remember nothing else from the plate.

Chris Bartram

Jul 23, 2007, 5:07:55 PM7/23/07
And for it's time wasn't a bad diesel. I never drove the maestro, but
the Montego with that engine went quite well. Horrific turbo lag though.

Zathras

Jul 24, 2007, 4:19:00 AM7/24/07
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:07:55 GMT, Chris Bartram
<ne...@delete.me.piglet-net.net> wrote:

>And for it's time wasn't a bad diesel. I never drove the maestro, but
>the Montego with that engine went quite well. Horrific turbo lag though.

..don't forget the vast amounts of smoke you could get from them
either (usually on demand!).

DervMan

Jul 26, 2007, 3:04:29 PM7/26/07
"Zathras" <webnew...@nospamthanks.hotmail.com> wrote in message

That was a good point, though. If I put my Saab's DieselTune unit to the
right setting, I can hide the car behind. :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com