BBC Callsign

Ken Williams

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
(during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).

My grandparents were born in Manchester and Liverpool, respectively, and
I proudly cherished my call. I was told that the call would be mine for
life; however, I subsequently found out that they did away with the "G5"
calls.

I would like to write to the appropriate authorites to see if I can
regain that call. The GPO no longer handles callsigns. Any help on who
to write. I know it will be fruitless, but I want to try.

Cheers and best of 73,

Ken Williams
N3CCI

Walt Davidson

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Ken Williams <kj...@erols.com> wrote:

>I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
>(during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
>G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).

Hi Ken!

It is not the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK. The staff radio club
of the BBC (The Ariel Radio Club) hold the callsigns G2BBC, G3BBC, G6BBC
G7BBC, G8BBC and GW0BBC. (So much for the rule which says a Club should
only have one Class A and one Class B callsign!)

I'm pretty sure you will not get back the G5BBC callsign, as the G5***
series is now defunct. However, you could always ask for M0BBC to be
reserved for you, provided nobody else has already reserved it! If you
succeded in reserving it, you would then have to wait until it came up
in normal sequence ... probably about a year's wait.

Alternatively, you could ask for M0CCI, but you would have to wait even
longer for that one!

The address to write to is:

The Radio Licensing Centre (Amateur Radio)
Subscription Services Limited
P.O. Box 885
BRISTOL BS99 5LG

You may also telephone them and they will tell you instantly whether
M0BBC is still available to be reserved! However, to make the
reservation you MUST put it in writing. The phone number is:
011-44-117-925-8333.

Good luck!
Walt (G3NYY)

--
Walt Davidson E-mail: wa...@servelan.co.uk
10052...@compuserve.com

David Hough

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <317AC3...@erols.com>

Ken Williams <kj...@erols.com> writes:
> I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
> (during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
> G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).
>
> My grandparents were born in Manchester and Liverpool, respectively, and
> I proudly cherished my call. I was told that the call would be mine for
> life; however, I subsequently found out that they did away with the "G5"
> calls.
>
> I would like to write to the appropriate authorites to see if I can
> regain that call. The GPO no longer handles callsigns. Any help on who
> to write. I know it will be fruitless, but I want to try.

No way will you get a G5 call re-issued. FWIW amateur licences are now
issued by SSL in Bristol, although if you were serious about trying to
get your old call back you would probably need to contact the
Radiocommunications Agency (3rd pile of rubble from the left, Canary
Wharf was their address until recently).

Dave
--
da...@llondel.demon.co.uk
Any advice above is worth what I paid for it.

Nigel Roberts

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Ken Williams wrote:

> I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
> (during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
> G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).
>
> My grandparents were born in Manchester and Liverpool, respectively, and
> I proudly cherished my call. I was told that the call would be mine for
> life; however, I subsequently found out that they did away with the "G5"
> calls.

Ken:

All G5 callsigns were summarily revoked some years ago, even those
which held by permanent residents of the UK, with the excuse that
they were to be re-issued en bloc for new Class B stations. They
never were.

SSL no longer issues G- callsigns now that the M series are in use.

You could, however, write to Angelika Voss, ex-G5CCI (who is
now G0CCI, mailto:ange...@enterprise.net ).

Reliable sources ;^) tell me she is thinking of taking
m'learned friends advice with a view to asking for G5 calls to
be re-issued to their original holders.

73

Nigel G4IJF

John Boyer

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96

:
: >I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
: >(during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
: >G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).
:
: Hi Ken!
:
: It is not the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK. The staff radio club

: of the BBC (The Ariel Radio Club) hold the callsigns G2BBC, G3BBC, G6BBC
: G7BBC, G8BBC and GW0BBC. (So much for the rule which says a Club should
: only have one Class A and one Class B callsign!)
:
Don't forget g0arg and g8ots. Both at Research and Development Department.

Last time I spoke to SSL they said a callsign was for life.

J.

* John Boyer, BBC Research & Development Department *
* Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 6NP *
* email: john....@rd.bbc.co.uk *
* phone: 01737 836580 fax: 01737 836665 *

Richard Lamont

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
wa...@servelan.co.uk (Walt Davidson) writes:

>It is not the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK. The staff radio club
>of the BBC (The Ariel Radio Club) hold the callsigns G2BBC, G3BBC, G6BBC
>G7BBC, G8BBC and GW0BBC. (So much for the rule which says a Club should
>only have one Class A and one Class B callsign!)

FWIW, the Ariel Radio Group has (had?) many more callsigns, often for
club stations at rural sites, including:

Daventry G5XX
Evesham G3PPG
Sutton Coldfield G3SUT

--
Richard "What politicians and bureaucrats cannot
stand about the Internet is that it has

Walt Davidson

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Nigel Roberts <ni...@roberts.co.uk> wrote:

>Reliable sources ;^) tell me she is thinking of taking
>m'learned friends advice with a view to asking for G5 calls to
>be re-issued to their original holders.

Not even XYLs of RSGB Council Members (on sabbatical or otherwise)
should be accorded that privilege .....

:-)))))

73 de G3NYY

Harv

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Ken Williams <kj...@erols.com> wrote:

>I would like to write to the appropriate authorites to see if I can
>regain that call. The GPO no longer handles callsigns. Any help on who
>to write. I know it will be fruitless, but I want to try.

>Cheers and best of 73,

>Ken Williams
>N3CCI

Maybe you could try the Radio Society of Great Britain. They may have
a callbook from 1972 or some other documentation which could help you
with the RA. The address is Lambda House, Cranborne Road, Potters Bar,
Herts, EN6 3JE, United Kingdom.

They helped my Dad persuade the authorities here to let me have his
old callsign (he is now a G4.) I must admit the RSGB were very helpful
and I have a G6 callsign. I passed my RAE in 1992.

73 Simon,
UKRS Founder Member (ex-RSGB member)
_____________________________________________________simon....@zen.co.uk
Packet: G6ACT @ GB7NRY.#19.GBR.EU
http://www.zen.co.uk/home/page/simon.harvey
"Jarvis Cocker is a star. He should get an MBE for what he did at the Brits."
- Noel Gallagher

Ariel Radio Group, London

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4lfejj$j...@tube.news.pipex.net>,
wa...@servelan.co.uk (Walt Davidson) wrote:

> It is not the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK. The staff radio club
> of the BBC (The Ariel Radio Club) hold the callsigns G2BBC, G3BBC, G6BBC
> G7BBC, G8BBC and GW0BBC. (So much for the rule which says a Club should
> only have one Class A and one Class B callsign!)

The Ariel Radio Group is notorious for snapping up callsigns with the
letters "BBC", and to date only G1BBC, G(W?)4BBC and G5BBC have escaped our
grasp. You may not be surprised that even GB7BBC has fallen into our
clutches !

The group is an association of "Ariel Radio Clubs", most of which are a
section of a regional BBC Club, although the London group has four club
stations and publishes the newsletter.

The group's current special project is GB60BBC celebrating 60 years of the
television service. In November we aim to organise an event on the air to
bring together many radio amateurs involved in broadcasting, past and present,
worldwide.

73, Gareth.

Walt Davidson

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
ar...@lightfox.demon.co.uk (Ariel Radio Group, London) wrote:

>The Ariel Radio Group is notorious for snapping up callsigns with the
>letters "BBC", and to date only G1BBC, G(W?)4BBC and G5BBC have escaped our
>grasp. You may not be surprised that even GB7BBC has fallen into our
>clutches !

Ha ha! Yes, I note you also hold G2LO and G5XX (London and Daventry),
which is fair enough as both callsigns were shown as BBC Broadcasting
Stations in the 1923 callbook! (minus the G prefix, of course). Also
G3AYC, which I think was the original Ariel Radio Group callsign.

>The group is an association of "Ariel Radio Clubs", most of which are a
>section of a regional BBC Club, although the London group has four club
>stations and publishes the newsletter.

Nice loophole!

>The group's current special project is GB60BBC celebrating 60 years of the
>television service.

I know ... I have been trying to find this station on the air, but have
failed so far. I believe it was aired from S. Wales a few days ago, but
nothing heard here. Never mind ... I managed to work 25 Marconi Day
stations on Saturday, including one at the site of "2 Emma Toc" which
was a Broadcasting Station before the BBC started!

The callsign G2MT was reissued and is now held by an individual radio
amateur.

73 de G3NYY
(Holder of only one Club Call ... M0ADJ)

Stephen Kennedy

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
Nigel Roberts wrote:>
> You could, however, write to Angelika Voss, ex-G5CCI (who is
> now G0CCI, mailto:ange...@enterprise.net ).
>
> Reliable sources ;^) tell me she is thinking of taking
> m'learned friends advice with a view to asking for G5 calls to
> be re-issued to their original holders.

Let's hope she is successful then. It seems very unfair to me that folks
have had their G5 calls taken from them even though it now seems that
the G5 block is _not_ going to be re-used.

-Steve
"If you want to know the things I see, then step inside my skin"

http://users.aol.com/g0lri/ http://users.aol.com/kkingboy/ G0LRI

Frank Erskine

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <830181...@llondel.demon.co.uk>, David Hough
<da...@llondel.demon.co.uk> writes

>No way will you get a G5 call re-issued. FWIW amateur licences are now
>issued by SSL in Bristol, although if you were serious about trying to
>get your old call back you would probably need to contact the
>Radiocommunications Agency (3rd pile of rubble from the left, Canary
>Wharf was their address until recently).

Their address currently is:

Radiocommunications Agency
New King's Beam House
22 Upper Ground
London
SE1 9SA

I believe the amateur radio section is the 9th floor.
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Richard Lamont

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Stephen Kennedy <st...@kalika.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Nigel Roberts wrote:>
>> You could, however, write to Angelika Voss, ex-G5CCI (who is
>> now G0CCI, mailto:ange...@enterprise.net ).
>>
>> Reliable sources ;^) tell me she is thinking of taking
>> m'learned friends advice with a view to asking for G5 calls to
>> be re-issued to their original holders.

>Let's hope she is successful then. It seems very unfair to me that folks
>have had their G5 calls taken from them even though it now seems that
>the G5 block is _not_ going to be re-used.

I very much doubt that G5 callsigns will ever be reissued. Anything that
identifies clusters of foreign radio amateurs is likely to be
considered a security threat.

Look up the G5s in an old callbook. Look at their addresses, and you
will see that many of them are clustered around American military and
intelligence bases in the UK. In particular, you will see that many G5s
lived in the Harrogate area.

They are employees of the USA's National Security Agency (and various
other American government agencies) who work at the Menwith Hill base.

Journalist Duncan Campbell (who had an amateur ticket himself at one
time) spotted this in the RSGB callbook, and this is how he first
discovered the existence of Menwith Hill. What followed ... revelations
of massive, wholesale telephone tapping in the UK, the ABC secrets
trial, the "naming of Colonel B" fiasco in Parliament and so on ... is
history.

--
Richard
"In the dying world I come from,

Paul Lewis

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

In article <4lgqcn$9...@socrates.zensys.co.uk>, Harv
<simon....@zen.co.uk> writes

>Ken Williams <kj...@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like to write to the appropriate authorites to see if I can
>>regain that call. The GPO no longer handles callsigns. Any help on who
>>to write. I know it will be fruitless, but I want to try.
>
>>Cheers and best of 73,
>
>>Ken Williams

Hi Ken.. out of interest g5bbc listed in your name in the
1981 Foreign Listings Radio Amateur Callbook page 262

but is not listed in the RSGB callbook for 1979

73 de Paul g4apl
pa...@skywaves.demon.co.uk

Miles Linley

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Richard Lamont <ric...@stonix.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Journalist Duncan Campbell (who had an amateur ticket himself at one
> time)

AFAIK, he still does ... G8CBL

\|/ \|/ The strong worm
\ / catches the early bird.
\ /
\ / Miles Anthony Linley
O op...@cix.compulink.co.uk

ve7...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 11:48:05 AM11/17/17
On Sunday, 21 April 1996 08:00:00 UTC+1, Ken Williams wrote:
> I was given a reciprocal UK license when I moved to England in 1972
> (during the 50th Anniversary of the BBC). To my surprise, I was issued
> G5BBC (the only "BBC" amateur call in the UK).
>
> My grandparents were born in Manchester and Liverpool, respectively, and
> I proudly cherished my call. I was told that the call would be mine for
> life; however, I subsequently found out that they did away with the "G5"
> calls.
>
> I would like to write to the appropriate authorites to see if I can
> regain that call. The GPO no longer handles callsigns. Any help on who
> to write. I know it will be fruitless, but I want to try.
>
> Cheers and best of 73,
>
> Ken Williams
> N3CCI

ve7...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 11:49:48 AM11/17/17

ve7...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 11:51:05 AM11/17/17
hello g3etk was the bbc Manchester callsgn in 1980,s
colin baker g4kfj

Stephen Thomas Cole

Nov 17, 2017, 12:28:50 PM11/17/17
I hear that "BBC" is one of Jim's saved searches on xhamster.

--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur

mm0fmf

Nov 17, 2017, 1:09:01 PM11/17/17
He is colour themed what that and his pink sock.