SELENA VEGA 215

GI7B

Jul 30, 2010, 6:56:21 PM7/30/10
I wanted one of these when I was 12, are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190423427834

Gerry ....

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Jul 31, 2010, 1:31:52 AM7/31/10

"GI7B" <gi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>I wanted one of these when I was 12, are they any good?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190423427834
>
> Gerry ....

I think I had one some years ago...think it was OK....but I have so many
russian radios a dozen or so brand new in the box full of fullersearth like
that one.....turret tumer????

G4KFK

Jul 31, 2010, 2:36:35 AM7/31/10

I wanted one too ... and I bought one when I saw it come up on ebay.

I paid about £20 and it wasn't worth it. A big disappointment.

I now believe that Russian radios of that era are about as good as the
Russian cars of that era :-(

Spike

Jul 31, 2010, 3:10:53 AM7/31/10

GI7B wrote:

I see it comes with seven-section extendable motorcycle.

Spike

Rambo

Jul 31, 2010, 5:59:18 AM7/31/10
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:10:53 +0100, Spike <Aero.Spike@S&T.invalid>
wrote:

Had one of these a few years ago.......That turret tuner is a pile of
c**p. Will need a good clean even though its "new".

Find a good hacker or a roberts instead.

Scrowtal Sachs

Jul 31, 2010, 6:46:59 AM7/31/10
Wasn't that one of those Russian radios with transistors mounted in sockets?
I remember another model where the band change slider switch used to drop to
bits when you removed the back cover to change the battery!

Spike

Jul 31, 2010, 6:56:21 AM7/31/10

Rambo wrote:

One wonders why it tunes 'backwards'.

Spike

Rambo

Jul 31, 2010, 9:08:02 AM7/31/10

ISTR that the trannies were mounted on pink plastic pads. The problem
I had was oxidisation in the turret switch, had to make sure that i
switched bands weekly to keep it going....Amazing bit of kit
though..I'm almost tempted to buy one............Nah leave it!

Anyone remember those little Rigonda/Vega TVs.....now they were fun!

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/vega/v342/v342.htm

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Jul 31, 2010, 2:05:11 PM7/31/10

> Anyone remember those little Rigonda/Vega TVs.....now they were fun!
>
> http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/vega/v342/v342.htm

bought a red one in 1973...rubbish.....

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Jul 31, 2010, 2:06:16 PM7/31/10

"Rambo" <Ra...@thisaintreal.org> wrote in message

no not that one...the metal cased long one.....

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 3:36:13 PM7/31/10

Yes I had one, bought it for £15 s/h from a shot on London Road In
Glasgow. I converted it to a monitor to use with my ZX Spectrum (also
converted)

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 4:30:34 PM7/31/10

I had to program a 48K Spectrum for the first time the other day - how
did anyone ever put up with those things?

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Jul 31, 2010, 4:58:22 PM7/31/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

i had the rubbery buttons one and the later hard black plastic one...i think
that was what put me off digital things for life ...

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 5:04:52 PM7/31/10

I had the full line up at one time complete with twin microdrives and
full sized printer. It had a very good following with lots of amateur
radio programs and a dedicated amateur radio user group.

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 5:13:43 PM7/31/10

You could buy and upgrade kit to change the rubbery keyboard to the
Spectrum + keyboard. The hard plastic Spectrum + keyboard one wasn't any
worse than some of the cheap notepads these days.

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Jul 31, 2010, 5:20:17 PM7/31/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

i had the micro drive and the wee printer with that metalic paper...used to
do sstv in thelate 80's....like i said ...put me off digital for life....

Message has been deleted

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 6:06:30 PM7/31/10
On 31/07/2010 21:58, Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile... wrote:

I was an Atari XL/XE man myself.

Got a BBC Micro here still, an Amiga and these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290458084355

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290458089731

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 6:08:00 PM7/31/10

I was given two along with the BBC I went to pick up.

Microdrive, two ZX printers, and parallel printer cable. I'm keeping the
9 pin dot matrix in the box though, they're too handy ;-)

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 6:12:35 PM7/31/10

:D Got those too.

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 6:14:47 PM7/31/10
On 31/07/2010 22:48, Chronos wrote:

> Yeti wrote:
>
>> I had to program a 48K Spectrum for the first time the other day -
>> how did anyone ever put up with those things?
>
> Most people didn't. One prod at the dead flesh was enough to push
> people to a Beeb or a C64 almost immediately.

I had to persevere - I wanted to know the two ZX printers were working.

Almost any other micro of the time was preferable to having to type in
programs with keyword buttons like that.

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 6:49:31 PM7/31/10
On 31/07/2010 22:20, Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile... wrote:
How that printer didn't set fire to itself I'll never know! They banned
it in the USA and they went for a proper thermal printer instead.

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 6:58:16 PM7/31/10
On 31/07/2010 22:48, Chronos wrote:
> Yeti wrote:
>
>> I had to program a 48K Spectrum for the first time the other day -
>> how did anyone ever put up with those things?
>
> Most people didn't. One prod at the dead flesh was enough to push
> people to a Beeb or a C64 almost immediately.

I did and even had the programs published in the user group newsletter.
Once you got a hang of it it wasn't the worst machine in the world to
program.

The C64 had very little in the way of amateur radio programs in the UK
and was largely ignored by UK radio amateurs. I bought one for my oldest
son but it was only good for games.

Len GM0ONX

Jul 31, 2010, 7:13:24 PM7/31/10

I had an Atari ST and that was a half decent machine for its time. I
wrote a Field Day logging program using compiled GFA basic (more of a
Pascal)for the club long before the days of Supadupa etc. No hard drives
so it only backed up every 10 QSO's to floppy due to the time it took,
with the rest echoed to a huge dot matrix printer in case of loss of
power (a regular occurrence). Everyone in the field knew when you made a
QSO due to the noise (even with a hush hood fitted).

One of the other club members build an interface to read band info from
an Icom IC730 and we used the spare mouse port as a data interface (BCD).

Primitive by today's standard but it beat the 6 foot long dup check
board we were using up to then.

Yeti

Jul 31, 2010, 7:42:00 PM7/31/10

Reading the old Radcom's that Cyril gave Annemarie at the Magnum made me
proud of all the 'old timers' who made the effort to make QSOs via
amateur radio satellites without computers and GPS to help them find the
birds.

I'm a lot younger than most on this newsgroup, but sometimes I do miss
the days when doing something that's considered basic (pardon the pun)
on a computer these days was looked upon as impressive.

Steve Terry

Jul 31, 2010, 9:09:15 PM7/31/10
"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
?? I had a prestel / compuserve modem on my C64, loads of software
of all kinds for it, and i eventually got the unbelievably slow serial
connected
1541, 5 1/4" floppy drive

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of £1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Aug 1, 2010, 1:20:13 AM8/1/10

> I'm a lot younger than most on this newsgroup, but sometimes I do miss the
> days when doing something that's considered basic (pardon the pun) on a
> computer these days was looked upon as impressive.

your right....everybody is too blasé these days ...

Chris Kirby

Aug 1, 2010, 2:09:19 AM8/1/10
Len GM0ONX <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote:

>I had an Atari ST and that was a half decent machine for its time. I
>wrote a Field Day logging program using compiled GFA basic (more of a
>Pascal)for the club long before the days of Supadupa etc. No hard drives
>so it only backed up every 10 QSO's to floppy due to the time it took,
>with the rest echoed to a huge dot matrix printer in case of loss of
>power (a regular occurrence). Everyone in the field knew when you made a
>QSO due to the noise (even with a hush hood fitted).
>
>One of the other club members build an interface to read band info from
>an Icom IC730 and we used the spare mouse port as a data interface (BCD).
>
>Primitive by today's standard but it beat the 6 foot long dup check
>board we were using up to then.

The Atari ST was an excellent machine. Musicians loved them due to the
inbuilt midi ports and a good selection of sequencing software.

I programmed mine to decode POCSAG paging transmissions. It would
capture a batch at a time, and then in a gap in the transmission, it
would analyse the waveform, and print out the decoded data.

I recall the Atari ST went head-to-head with another popular games
computer, in a VHS/Betamax-like war, and the Atari lost out. What was
the name of other machine that became more popular?

--
Chris
G4FZN

Len GM0ONX

Aug 1, 2010, 2:43:33 AM8/1/10

Commodore Amiga, but that too lost to the IBM compatible once it got
decent graphics and sound.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ian Jackson

Aug 1, 2010, 3:22:33 AM8/1/10
In message <i335od$8dj$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Chronos
<m...@privacy.net> writes

>Yeti wrote:
>
>> I wanted to know the two ZX printers were working.
>
>Oh, those things are a joy to behold in a darkened room! Impossible to
>print a straight line, of course ;o)

Guaranteed to wipe out all amateur bands and SW within 1/2 mile radius.
And to think we now have the nerve to complain about PLC!
--
Ian

Message has been deleted

Yeti

Aug 1, 2010, 4:06:55 AM8/1/10
On 01/08/2010 07:09, Chris Kirby wrote:

Commodore Amiga - got one of those here.

Yeti

Aug 1, 2010, 4:07:35 AM8/1/10

never checked that...

Ian Wade G3NRW

Aug 1, 2010, 4:28:05 AM8/1/10
From: Chronos <m...@privacy.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 Time: 08:58:32

>On the subject of PLAs, is it now time to resurrect the phased QRM
>eliminator? A friend and I have been experimenting with various
>designs to counter his XYL's choice of a 50" plasma TV, amongst other
>things, and we have had remarkable success with a very simple German
>design called the X-Phase.

Chronos, can you point us to more information about X-Phase. Is it
anything to do with:

<http://gretchen.geo.rpi.edu/roecker/manuals/Xphase/Xphase.html> ?

Many thanks

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

A Leaky Prune

Aug 1, 2010, 6:56:55 AM8/1/10

"Walt Davidson" <g3...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 00:42:00 +0100, Yeti <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote:
> I used to like that "ping-pong" game on my ZX-81.
>
> 73 de Wlat

Here you go sir. Look under 1986 for a bit of nostalgia. The interface isn't
very intuitive, but then again, neither was the original :)

http://www.zxspectrum.net/
--
All the best, Walter.

Ian Wade G3NRW

Aug 1, 2010, 6:56:49 AM8/1/10
From: Chronos <m...@privacy.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 Time: 10:02:48

>Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
>
>> Chronos, can you point us to more information about X-Phase.
>

>Original page:
>http://www.mydarc.de/dh3wl/dk9nl/X-Phase-Dateien/X-Phase.htm
>
>Babelfish translation (quite comical):
>http://bit.ly/cSb4Gw
>
>If you download the PDF of the schematic and board layout, all becomes
>clear.

Very interesting. Definitely worth trying out by the look of it.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

Message has been deleted

Scrowtal Sachs

Aug 1, 2010, 1:58:54 PM8/1/10

"Walt Davidson" <g3...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 00:42:00 +0100, Yeti <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm a lot younger than most on this newsgroup, but sometimes I do miss
>>the days when doing something that's considered basic (pardon the pun)
>>on a computer these days was looked upon as impressive.
>
> I used to like that "ping-pong" game on my ZX-81.

Wasn't "ping pong" the Pekingese dog friend of Rupert bear?

Message has been deleted

Jimbo...

Aug 1, 2010, 5:33:44 PM8/1/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

I also...somewhere.......

Yeti

Aug 1, 2010, 7:14:22 PM8/1/10

Dont' suppose you have a spare mouse?

Jimbo...

Aug 2, 2010, 3:33:01 AM8/2/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

did it have a mouse? I can't remember..been in a box somewhere for well over
10 years .....

Yeti

Aug 2, 2010, 6:43:02 AM8/2/10

It's meant to have a mouse - but mine's missing. Means I can't play
Walker...

I'll get one on ebay shortly - but everyone puts them up at 6-10 buy it
now. Unlike me, not everyone starts their stuff at 99p with no reserve.

Jimbo...

Aug 2, 2010, 6:58:39 AM8/2/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

unlike you they pay for a listing ........

Jimbo...

Aug 2, 2010, 6:58:39 AM8/2/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

unlike you they pay for a listing ........

GI7B

Aug 6, 2010, 5:13:33 PM8/6/10
On 31/07/2010 10:59, Rambo wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:10:53 +0100, Spike<Aero.Spike@S&T.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>> GI7B wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted one of these when I was 12, are they any good?
>>>
>>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190423427834
>>>
>>> Gerry ....
>>
>> I see it comes with seven-section extendable motorcycle.
>>

>> Spike
>
> Had one of these a few years ago.......That turret tuner is a pile of
> c**p. Will need a good clean even though its "new".
>
> Find a good hacker or a roberts instead.

I think you may be right, it arrived today. Turret works ok but
the tuning knob is far too small for SW and FM only covers 88 to 104.
My shed has a better finish than the wooden case but it sounds nice
enough on radio 2.

Gerry ....

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Aug 7, 2010, 3:12:28 AM8/7/10

"GI7B" <gi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

what about radio 4 on LW ????.........all my russian radios are superb on
LW.....

GI7B

Aug 7, 2010, 4:06:49 AM8/7/10
Sounds good considering all the noise from the next door neighbors
server farm, should be OK down the garden. Switched it on this morning
on the local RSL and the robot was playing T-Rex, 12 years old again......

Gerry ....

Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile...

Aug 7, 2010, 6:46:21 AM8/7/10

"GI7B" <gi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

I get that feeling with the Byrds....brian probably gets it with churpy
churpy cheep cheep........

geord...@gmail.com

May 3, 2015, 10:49:06 AM5/3/15
On Friday, July 30, 2010 at 7:56:21 PM UTC-3, GI7B wrote:
> I wanted one of these when I was 12, are they any good?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190423427834
>
> Gerry ....

Mine did a superb 25 years or so of service and got me into journalism. Now its buttons are pretty knackered - I must see if I can repair it. For 30 quid or so it was an absolute bargain.