Dennis Lotis

Peter Grange

Nov 25, 2009, 10:37:51 AM11/25/09
Went to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra at Yeovil last night with our
local Probus club. Completely by surprise (he was not billed) they had
Dennis Lotis as a guest singer. We were amazed, a figure from the past
we had completely forgotten about, and there he was on the stage. He
was quite good too! Googled him today, he was born in 1928, which
makes him nearly 82. He used to sing with the Ted Heath (NO!, not the
former Prime Minister) band in the 50s.

I wonder how many more of the stars of yesteryear are still out there
performing?

--

Pete

Flyi�g �u� 2��9 +

Nov 25, 2009, 10:45:02 AM11/25/09

No idea Peter, but I certainly remember Denis Lotis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBP-LQqL3I0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AGMHWkhqZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPMzZX0TQY

I believe he featured in one or two horror 'B' movies as well. :)
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2��9 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Rabbit

Nov 25, 2009, 10:51:33 AM11/25/09
"Peter Grange" <pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Went to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra at Yeovil last night with our
> local Probus club. Completely by surprise (he was not billed) they had
> Dennis Lotis as a guest singer. We were amazed, a figure from the past
> we had completely forgotten about, and there he was on the stage. He
> was quite good too! Googled him today, he was born in 1928, which
> makes him nearly 82. He used to sing with the Ted Heath (NO!, not the
> former Prime Minister) band in the 50s.

Oh that's definitely one of those *I thought he was dead years ago* moments.
IIRC he used to smoke a pipe in a lot of films/TV shows.
--
Sandra
People will forget what you said.

Derek F

Nov 25, 2009, 12:07:00 PM11/25/09
I used to like him a lot in the late 40's and early 50's along with Eve
Boswell and Lita Rosa... remember them and of course Alma Cogan.
Denis Lotis was on a TV programme in the recent past about the bands of
that time.
I noticed that Cleo Laine was on with Paul O'Grady the other day. I
remember her and Johnnie Dankworth from when they played the Eldorado
Ballroom (what a dump)in Leith around 1952.
The one who in my opinion was Britain's best crooner was Denny Dennis
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-denny-dennis-1501988.html
who I sadly watched going downhill and end up as an afterthought at the
Windmill and then third rate variety theatres.
Another on a TV documentary recently was John Barry who wrote the music
for the Bond films. I remember meeting him in a Milk Bar opposite the
Edinburgh Empire when he toured in his pre Bond days with the John Barry
Seven.
Derek.

linedancer

Nov 25, 2009, 12:53:33 PM11/25/09

"Peter Grange" <pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Pete

What a nice surprise for you :-)
I didn't know he ws still alive, I remember Dickie Valentine and Lita Roza
singing with the Ted Heath band, I have danced to them lots of times, the
last time was in the Winter Gardens at Blackpool.

Good old times :-)

Pat

Peter Grange

Nov 25, 2009, 2:10:34 PM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:53:33 -0000, " linedancer" <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

Indeed.

He mentioned Dickie Valentine and Lita Roza on stage. That caused me
to google them too. Dickie died in a car crash in 1971, but Lita died
only last year. He also mentioned Russ Conway, his pianist for a
while, but he died in 2000. Depressing innit?

--

Pete

Derek F

Nov 25, 2009, 2:59:18 PM11/25/09
Never mind Bobby Crush is still around:-)
Derek

Michaelangelo

Nov 25, 2009, 4:01:39 PM11/25/09
Derek F burst on the scene, and said:

> Another on a TV documentary recently was John Barry who wrote the
> music for the Bond films. I remember meeting him in a Milk Bar
> opposite the Edinburgh Empire when he toured in his pre Bond days
> with the John Barry Seven.
> Derek.

I've never met John Barry but I remember that milk bar. :)

--
Michaelangelo
Self-catering, holiday accommodation in the Scottish Highlands, for

Derek F

Nov 25, 2009, 5:12:35 PM11/25/09
Michaelangelo wrote:
> Derek F burst on the scene, and said:
>
>> Another on a TV documentary recently was John Barry who wrote the
>> music for the Bond films. I remember meeting him in a Milk Bar
>> opposite the Edinburgh Empire when he toured in his pre Bond days with
>> the John Barry Seven.
>> Derek.
>
> I've never met John Barry but I remember that milk bar. :)

There were quite a few in Edinburgh at that time. I remember another in
Leith Street and one at St Andrews Square.
I can't remember who we were going to see at the Empire that night but
the John Barry Seven were a support act.
A memory from outside the Empire. They had a picture outside from the
Perry Como show with two kilted figures. An old man pointed to Perry and
asked his wife, Who's that in the kilt with Jackie Dennis?
Who remembers Jackie or the Purple People Eater now?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Dennis
Derek.

Peter Grange

Nov 25, 2009, 6:15:24 PM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:59:18 +0000, Derek F <lordp...@NOXo2.co.uk>
wrote:

>> He mentioned Dickie Valentine and Lita Roza on stage. That caused me
>> to google them too. Dickie died in a car crash in 1971, but Lita died
>> only last year. He also mentioned Russ Conway, his pianist for a
>> while, but he died in 2000. Depressing innit?
>Never mind Bobby Crush is still around:-)

Well, I had to google Valentine, Roza and Conway to see if they were
still around. I had to google Bobby Crush to find out who he is :-( I
guess I'm just a square, man.

--

Pete

Derek F

Nov 25, 2009, 6:32:11 PM11/25/09
You must as Jimmy Young and Nat King Cole sang be Too Young to know:-)
Derek.

BunnyHare

Nov 26, 2009, 3:09:46 AM11/26/09

"Peter Grange" <pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I wonder how many more of the stars of yesteryear are still out
> there
> performing?

Certainly makes you wonder - bet there are quite a few

--
Barb

james

Nov 25, 2009, 5:15:45 PM11/25/09
In message <UudPm.39877$X01....@newsfe07.iad>, Derek F
<lordp...@NOXo2.co.uk> writes

>The one who in my opinion was Britain's best crooner was Denny Dennis

Denny Dennis! There's a nice alliterative name that jangled
my wotsits. In our Mansard attic I discovered a single-sided Decca
shellac 'The Umbrella Man' with vocal refrain by Denny Dennis.

--
James Follett

james

Nov 25, 2009, 5:26:17 PM11/25/09
In message <mnvqg5pmtr3nf4b8j...@4ax.com>, Peter Grange
<pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> writes

>He mentioned Dickie Valentine and Lita Roza on stage. That caused me
>to google them too. Dickie died in a car crash in 1971, but Lita died
>only last year.

I saw Richard Valentine getting into his car in Shepperton a couple of
days before he died. I think it was a Hillman Avenger. A deathtrap car
if I recall.

Perhaps he'll perform a miraculous return and come back as the CE of a
large public company just as Marc Bolam is the new CE of M&S.

--
James Follett

BunnyHare

Nov 26, 2009, 3:15:47 AM11/26/09

"Derek F" <lordp...@NOXo2.co.uk> wrote in message

> Who remembers Jackie or the Purple People Eater now?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Dennis

Me! I remember La Di Da too

--
Barb

james

Nov 26, 2009, 3:23:14 AM11/26/09
In message <qgerg5pou8d7vk193...@4ax.com>, Peter Grange
<pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> writes

Vivisimo is much more efficient than the clumsy Google.

--
James Follett

james

Nov 26, 2009, 3:28:04 AM11/26/09
In message <held8c$h8s$1...@news.albasani.net>, BunnyHare
<bin...@lineone.net> writes

Poor Ruby Murray has become England's national dish and gets eaten
often. JF

Peter Grange

Nov 26, 2009, 5:27:50 AM11/26/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:32:11 +0000, Derek F <lordp...@NOXo2.co.uk>
wrote:

Well I guess I am dragging the average age on here down a bit, nearly
64 you know! I remember Jimmy Young and Nat King Cole though.
I can claim to have seen The Beatles live when they were third on the
bill behind Chris Montez and Tommy Roe (Gloucester, about 1962 or 3).

--

Pete

Peter Grange

Nov 26, 2009, 5:29:19 AM11/26/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:26:17 +0000, james <ja...@marage.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

Now there's a plot for a book...

--

Pete

Peter Grange

Nov 26, 2009, 5:33:55 AM11/26/09
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:28:04 +0000, james <ja...@marage.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

At least she gave our kids an idea for where to go for our 40th
wedding anniversary. I'm not so sure they knew the name otherwise ;-)

--

Pete

Rabbit

Nov 26, 2009, 7:20:24 AM11/26/09

> Well I guess I am dragging the average age on here down a bit, nearly
> 64 you know! I remember Jimmy Young and Nat King Cole though.
> I can claim to have seen The Beatles live when they were third on the
> bill behind Chris Montez and Tommy Roe (Gloucester, about 1962 or 3).

Oh I can beat that. I saw the Beatles when they were bottom of the bill to
Roy Orbison and others I can't remember. Them were the days 15/6 for front
stalls and you got several acts and no fancy pyrotechnics, just the acts
jbexing their way up the bill.

james

Nov 26, 2009, 10:57:11 AM11/26/09
In message <58msg5d8s0s8uvh8r...@4ax.com>, Peter Grange
<pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> writes

Looking through my wife's old nicked knacks from her past in the shape
of her 1950s and 1960s 'recurds' I realise that I honestly don't know
the difference is between a 'Ruby Murray' and a 'Kathy Kirby'. It's one
of those questions like what does 'lol' mean? that one doesn't like to
ask in polite company.

In a box is an unused bumber sticker that says: 'Don't just feel it!
Kathy Beale it!' That one's mystified me but it doesn't sound like the
sort of thing that a Catholic Eucharist minister would allow on her car
so I've resisted the temptation.

--
James Follett

Flyi�g �u� 2��9 +

Nov 26, 2009, 1:12:49 PM11/26/09

I remember those hot lips well, and I'm not referring to Loretta Swit in
Mash.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/cozan/KathyKirby-TheCollection.jpg

Derek F

Nov 26, 2009, 5:44:00 PM11/26/09
Rabbit wrote:
> "Peter Grange" <pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Well I guess I am dragging the average age on here down a bit, nearly
>> 64 you know! I remember Jimmy Young and Nat King Cole though.
>> I can claim to have seen The Beatles live when they were third on the
>> bill behind Chris Montez and Tommy Roe (Gloucester, about 1962 or 3).
>
> Oh I can beat that. I saw the Beatles when they were bottom of the bill to
> Roy Orbison and others I can't remember. Them were the days 15/6 for front
> stalls and you got several acts and no fancy pyrotechnics, just the acts
> jbexing their way up the bill.
I used to wonder why the girls in our office used to go over to the
Raith Ballroom in Kirkcaldy to see a group that may have even been
called the Silver beetles at that time. A couple of years later they
were queuing up for days to see them play the ABC in Edinburgh.
Derek

Derek F

Nov 26, 2009, 5:56:34 PM11/26/09
I had not heard that expression before and can only guess that it refers
to the sex act the Sun alleged was performed by Gillian Tallyforth (who
played Kathy Beale) on her boy friend as he drove down the M25. So it
must be a later nick knack.
Derek

Derek F

Nov 27, 2009, 2:10:12 PM11/27/09

I used to have an old Jimmy Dorsey record bought second hand of I'll
Never Smile Again with vocalist. The vocalist turned out to be Frank
Sinatra.
Derek

james

Nov 28, 2009, 5:39:43 AM11/28/09
In message <muVPm.36420$ZF3....@newsfe13.iad>, Derek F
<lordp...@NOXo2.co.uk> writes

>I used to have an old Jimmy Dorsey record bought second hand of I'll

>Never Smile Again with vocalist. The vocalist turned out to be Frank
>Sinatra.

From the age of about eight my daughter developed a passion for music.
Particularly the clarinet when she discovered it had the same fingering
as the recorder. Her music coach discovered she had perfect pitch what
ever that is which was why she hated having to play in the school
orchestra especially with choral accompaniment.

One day she was captivated by a Frank Sinatra recording and sat down to
listen to it all the way thru. At the end she asked who he was. I told
her and asked why Frank Sinatra seemed to fascinate her. She said that
he was rather good; every note he sang was spot on key and you never
heard him breath.

Until then it had never occurred to me that Frank Sinatra was good.

One day she marched into my office and demanded to see one of my novels.
I gave her one, expecting her to take it to her room for a week or so,
but she merely glanced at the first page and handed the book back. When
quizzed she said that all she wanted was to see how I started a story
without saying 'once upon a time'.

'Ice' tonight on BBC Radio 7.

--
James Follett.