Ansible 329 -- December 2014

David Langford

Dec 1, 2014, 12:42:36 PM12/1/14

ANSIBLE 329
DECEMBER 2014

From DAVID LANGFORD, 94 London Road, Reading, Berks, RG1 5AU, UK. Website
news.ansible.uk. ISSN 0265-9816 (print); 1740-942X (e). Available for SAE
or a pack filled with Big Beaver Essentials.

[NET NOTE. See http://news.ansible.uk/a329.html for the nice HTML version.
Mailing list subscribe/unsubscribe information appears below -- please
don't send such requests to my own e-mail address. DRL]

SEASON'S GREETINGS, as always, to all the _Ansible_ readers out there!

### THE SNUGGILY WINTER ###

ADAM-TROY CASTRO is disconcerted: 'Twitter just suggested that I follow Jay
Lake. / I found that unnecessarily hostile.'

JOHN CLUTE was declared a jolly good fellow -- that is, an Honorary
Visiting Fellow -- at Anglia Ruskin University.

PETER FIRMIN, co-creator with Oliver Postgate of such Smallfilms genre
classics as _The Clangers_ and _Bagpuss_, received a special lifetime
honour at the BAFTA Children's Awards on 23 November. [MPJ]

STEPHEN KING on what still rankles: 'Early in my career, _The Village
Voice_ did a caricature of me that hurts even today when I think about it.
It was a picture of me eating money. I had this big, bloated face. It was
this assumption that if fiction was selling a lot of copies, it was bad. If
something is accessible to a lot of people, it's got to be dumb because
most people are dumb. And that's elitist. I don't buy it.' (Interview by
Andy Greene for _Rolling Stone_, 31 October) [AIP]

URSULA K. LE GUIN's fine National Book Awards acceptance speech caused some
stir. 'Hard times are coming, when we'll be wanting the voices of writers
who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our
fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of
being, and even imagine real grounds for hope. We'll need writers who can
remember freedom -- poets, visionaries -- realists of a larger reality.'
See/read it all at www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html.

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN reassured everyone who complained about inaudible
dialogue in _Interstellar_ -- repeatedly drowned out by loud music and
effects -- that this 'impressionistic' approach was intentional, indeed
'adventurous and creative'. So there. (_Hollywood Reporter_, 15 November)
[] Another view: 'The film's audio and complexity have both been hotbeds
for debate, especially in regard to the scientific soundness of the plot.
In the grand scheme of things, however, _Interstellar_ is not a science
fiction film; it is a film about humanity and the way people live.' (Brett
Stewart in _Liberty Voice_, 30 November) [MK]

### CONPERSEYNER ###

5 Dec [] BRITISH FANTASY SOCIETY XMAS OPEN NIGHT, The Two Chairmen, 1
Warwick House St, London, SW1Y 5AT. 7pm-11pm. Free.

6 Dec [] DRAGONMEET (gaming), ILEC Convention Centre & Ibis Earls Court,
9am-midnight. Pounds10 at door. See www.dragonmeet.co.uk.

18 Dec [] LONDON CHRISTMAS MEETING (NB not at the usual First Thursday
venue): upstairs room, The One Tun, Saffron Hill, near Farringdon tube. All
evening, 4/5pm to late; all welcome. Free.

_Ending soon:_ 4 Jan 2015 [] LONGITUDE PUNK'D (steampunk exhibition), Royal
Observatory, Greenwich. 10am-5pm. Pounds7 adult, Pounds5.50 concessions,
Pounds2.50 child 5-15, under-5s free. Also family rates.

24 Jan 2015 [] SFSF SOCIAL, Eten Cafe, York Street, Sheffield, S1 2ER.
4pm-late with guest readings and Q&A; all welcome. Free.

6-8 Feb 2015 [] CON27ILKIN (filk), Best Western Hotel, Marks Tey,
Colchester. Pounds37 reg, Pounds27 unwaged. Cheques to UK Filk Convention,
c/o 119 Whitehill Lane, Gravesend, DA12 5LU.

7-8 Feb 2015 [] MICROCON, Exeter University. Details awaited; the web page
(and the whole societies.ex.ac.uk subdomain) has vanished.

30-31 Mar 2015 [] SIDEWAYS IN TIME: Alternate History and Counterfactual
Narratives (conference), Liverpool University. Call for papers: deadline 15
December. See sidewaysintime.wordpress.com.

29 Apr 2015 [] BRAVE NEW WORLDS (academic conference on dystopian fiction),
Newcastle University. Call for papers: deadline 15 December. See
dystopianfictionconference.wordpress.com.

19-23 Aug 2015 [] SASQUAN (Worldcon), Spokane Convention Center, Spokane,
WA, USA. $190 reg; $95 YA/military; $80 child; $40 supp. _Rates may rise on
1 January 2015._ See http://sasquan.org/.

23-25 Oct 2015 [] FANTASYCON, East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard
Hotel, Nottingham. Registration cost to follow at the fantasycon2015.org
site. The hotel (linked from there) pretends to be full until you enter the
special corporate booking code FANTASY15.

4-6 Nov 2016 [] BCON (Eurocon), Barcelona, Spain. Euro30 reg to 27 April
2015; under-25s Euro10; under-16s free. See www.eurocon2016.org.

RUMBLINGS. Following ancient tradition, there is no London BSFA pub meeting
in December. Normal service resumes on 28 January.

### INFINITELY IMPROBABLE ###

AS OTHERS SEE US. On PUA (pick-up artist) culture: 'For it is easy to
dismiss the men who look to Dapper Laughs for pulling advice, or who pay a
shade under $3,000 to attend one of Julien Blanc's "boot camps". They're
sci-fi saddos; they're World of Warcraft weirdos.' (Hadley Freeman,
'Comment is free', _The Guardian_, 12 November) [SW]

AWARDS. _Nova Awards._ FANZINE _Vibrator_; FANWRITER Christina Lake; FAN
ARTIST D. West. Hot competition for these fanzine honours led to the
casting of a mighty 17 ballots.
_World Fantasy._ NOVEL Sofia Samatar, _A Stranger in Olondria_;
NOVELLA Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages, 'Wakulla Springs' (Tor.com); SHORT
Caitlin R. Kiernan, 'The Prayer of Ninety Cats' (_Subterranean_); ANTHOLOGY
George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois, eds., _Dangerous Women_; ARTIST
Charles Vess; COLLECTION Caitlin R. Kiernan, _The Ape's Wife and Other
Stories_; SPECIAL/PROFESSIONAL (tie) Irene Gallo, art director of Tor.com,
and William K. Schafer of Subterranean Press; SPECIAL/NON-PROFESSIONAL
_Clarkesworld_. [MMW]

BEARS IN THE NEWS. Michael Bond, creator of Paddington Bear, was 'very
upset' when the British Board of Film Classification gave the new film a PG
certificate owing to 'mild sex references' (man disguised as woman flirts
with another man; after some public mockery the BBFC changed this caveat to
'innuendo'), bad language (one muffled 'bloody') and dangerous behaviour
(e.g. Paddington hides in a fridge). Contrast this with the very much more
violent _The Hunger Games: Mockingjay 1_, given a barely more restrictive
12A certificate. (_Independent_ and BBC, 18 November) [MPJ]
_Winnie-the-Pooh_ was considered as the patron of a playground in
Tuszyn, Poland, but rejected by councillors outraged by the teddybear's
lack of 'a complete wardrobe' (this being the mini-t-shirted Disney
animation rather than the unclad original) and possibly hermaphroditic
nature. 'The author was over 60 and cut [Pooh's] testicles off with a razor
blade because he had a problem with his identity," expostulated councillor
Hanna Jachimska. (_Independent_, 20 November)

R.I.P. _Russell Aitken_, who ran Obelisk Books in Glasgow (a shop
specializing in second-hand sf and crime) from the 1980s to early this
century, died on 21 November. [JS]
_Andre Carneiro_ (1922-2014), distinguished and much-anthologized
Brazilian sf author whose debut collection was _Diario da nave perdida_ ('A
Lost Ship's Log', 1963) and whose latest book appeared in 2013, died on 4
November; he was 92. [CMO'B]
_Leigh Chapman_ (1939-2014), US actress/screenwriter who was in _The
Man from U.N.C.L.E._ (1965-1966) and wrote scripts for _My Favorite
Martian_ (1966) and _The Wild Wild West_ (1966-1968), died on 4 November
aged 75. [AIP]
_Warren Clarke_ (1947-2014), UK actor/producer who played one of the
droogs in Kubrick's _A Clockwork Orange_ (1971), died on 12 November aged
67. [PDF] He was also in _The Avengers_.
_Andre Coelho_, Brazilian artist whose comics appearances included
_X-Men_ and DC's _Flash_, died in early November; he was 35. [PDF]
_Helen Eling_ (1937-2014), UK fan and convention-goer involved with
the Birmingham SF Group and Novacon/Eastercon committees, died on 26
October aged 77. She is survived by her husband Stan, to whom all sympathy.
[RP] Rog Peyton recalls her convention disco fame: 'I shall always remember
her as the best dance partner I ever had.'
_Stefan Ghidoveanu_, Romanian sf editor, translator, publisher and
most famously broadcaster whose long-running nonfiction radio show
_Explorers of Tomorrow's World_ was followed by the Romanian sf community
for 30 years, died at the end of October; he was 59. [SF2C]
_Jesus F. Gonzalez_ (1964-2014), US horror author who as J.F. Gonzalez
published over a dozen novels (some collaborative) and four collections,
died on 10 November; he was 50. [TM]
_Michael Hayes_ (1929-2014), UK producer, director, actor and later
newsreader responsible for the classic BBC sf serial _A for Andromeda_
(1961) and three _Doctor Who_ stories (1978-1979), died on 16 September; he
was 85. (_Independent_, 7 November, whose obituary headline credits him
with 'the sci-fi series "The Andromeda Strain"'.)
_(John) Hayden Howard_ (1925-2014), US author of 19 sf magazine
stories 1952-1971 and one novel, _The Eskimo Invasion_ (1967), died on 23
October; he was 88. [LS]
P.D. James (1920-2014), distinguished UK detective novelist -- made a
baroness in 1991 -- whose one sf venture was _The Children of Men_ (1992,
filmed 2006), died on 27 November. She was 94.
_Glen A Larson_ (1937-2014), US tv producer whose sf series included
_Battlestar Galactica_ (1978-1979), _Buck Rogers in the 25th Century_
(1979-1981), _Knight Rider_ (1982-1986), _Manimal_ (1983) and _Automan_
(1983-1984), died on 14 November; he was 77. [LP]
_Larry Latham_, US artist, animator, producer and director known for
the Emmy-winning Disney series _Talespin_ (1990-1991) and the web comic
_Lovecraft is Missing_ (2008-2004), died on 2 November. Further credits
include _The Smurfs_ (1981), _Challenge of the GoBots_ (1984-1985) and
_DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp_ (1990). [SJ]
_Michael Lennick_ (1952-2014), visual effects artist whose films
include _Videodrome_ (1983), _The Dead Zone_ (1983), _Millennium_ (1989)
and _Earthquake in New York_ (1998), died on 7 November aged 62. [SFS]
_Alan L. Lickiss_, US author of some ten short stories since 1996
(five collected as _High Heeled Distraction_, 2010), died on 10 November.
[PDF]
_Walter W. Lee Jr_ (1931-2014), author of the monumental _Reference
Guide to Fantastic Films_ (three volumes 1972-1974) -- an important early
study of sf cinema that earned him a special award from the 1975 Worldcon
-- died on 23 November aged 83. [SL via KN] He also wrote the horror-sf
novel _Shapes_ (1987) with Richard Delap.
_John Moat_ (1936-2014), UK poet and novelist who with John Fairfax
founded the Arvon creative writing workshops, and who contributed to
Fairfax's _Frontier of Going: An Anthology of Space Poetry_ (1969), died on
11 September; he was 78. [JWS via CC]
_R.A. Montgomery_ (1936-2014), US author of many genre-themed 'Choose
Your Own Adventure' gamebooks and the 1990 _Trio: Rebels in the New World_
post-holocaust sf series, died on 9 November aged 78. [PDF]
_Mike Nichols_ (1931-2014) Oscar-winning US director/producer whose
genre ventures were _The Day of the Dolphin_ (1973), _Wolf_ (1994) and
_What Planet Are You From?_ (2000), died on 19 November; he was 83. [LP]
_Stu Shiffman_ (1954-2014), long-time US fanzine fan, artist and
connoisseur of alternate history, died on 26 November aged 60. [DKMK] His
quirkily distinctive artwork earned him the 1990 Hugo for best fan artist
and the 2010 Rotsler Award for life achievement; he won TAFF in 1981; he
was a friend. Much sympathy to his partner Andi Schechter.
_George Slusser_ (1939-2014), US academic critic whose sf studies
range from _Robert A. Heinlein_ (1976) to _Gregory Benford_ (2014), and who
also edited/co-edited many critical anthologies, died on 4 November aged
75. He was a co-founder and Curator Emeritus of the J. Lloyd Eaton
Collection of SF & Fantasy Literature. [SHS]
_Edward Summer_ (1946-2014), best known as founder of the Buffalo
International Film Festival but also (amid much else) a former New York
comic-shop proprietor, writer for Marvel and DC, and associate producer and
story writer of _Conan the Barbarian_ (1982), died on 13 November aged 68.
[MF]

SCHOLARLY INSIGHT DEPT. 'I believe that [Sax] Rohmer's texts aim at effects
that differ fundamentally from the effects that high modernist literature
aspires to.' (Ruth Mayer, _Serial Fu Manchu -- The Chinese Supervillain and
the spread of Yellow Peril ideology_, 2014)

MAGAZINE SCENE. _Terraform_, a new online sf news/fiction site at
motherboard.vice.com/terraform, launched in November with a manifesto by
editor Claire Evans (late of _OMNI Reboot_) that feigned ignorance of the
vast competition: 'But, weirdly, there's a distinct dearth of science
fiction in its purest, arguably its original, form -- short fiction -- in
the environment to which it seems best-suited. The internet.' After many
comments pointing out the existence of _Strange Horizons_, Tor.com and the
rest, subtle changes were made: the first two words of 'In fact, it's
strange that there isn't more fiction commingling with the newsy posts and
personality quizzes and status updates ...' became 'There are tons of great
publishers of science fiction online -- but still ...' [ED]

SCIENCE CORNER. 'Amateur and professional astrologers alike captivated by
"incredible" storms across Uranus.' (Headline on the _Independent_ website,
14 November) [PE]

RANDOM FANDOM. _Steve Green_ has stepped down after more than ten years as
administrator of the Nova Awards (see above).
_Kim Huett_ sends a Chicon III progress report's 'officialdom' page,
revealing that this 1962 Worldcon had a Morals Committee chaired by Algis
Budrys. Gosh!
_Scott Lynch_ tweeted: 'Holding out hope for Peter Jackson's _Leaf by
Niggle_, because I hear Legolas is only in it for about forty-five
minutes.' [PNH]
_Adam Roberts_ facebooked: 'Ridley Scott has finally explained his
decision to use an all-white cast in his movie of Alex Hayley's _Roots_.
Perfectly reasonable.'
_Jeff VanderMeer_ revealed the secret 2014 WFC code: 'You can't use
the word party for World Fantasy Convention ... parties 'cause of the con
hotel. So instead of the word "party" we're using the words "orwellian
sh*tstorm".' (His asterisk.)

MEDIA AWARDS. _Hollywood Film Awards:_ Animation, _How to Train Your Dragon
2_; Blockbuster, _Guardians Of the Galaxy_. [MPJ]
_International Emmys:_ the best drama series award went to _Utopia_,
which in anticipation of this triumph had already been axed by Channel 4.
[MPJ]

THE DEAD PAST. _70 Years Ago_, Arthur C. Clarke reviewed Willy Ley's
_Rockets: the Future of Travel Beyond the Stratosphere_: 'The first fifty
pages of the book contain a detailed history of interplanetary fiction
since the first imaginary voyage to the Moon, written in A.D. 120. It is a
little odd to think that these stories, which have been popular for
eighteen centuries, will soon be written no more.' (_Futurian War Digest_
38, December 1944)
_Prediction Dept:_ Kenneth Tynan foresees _Time Bandits_ (1981): '...
if a playwright were to revive the anthropomorphic conception of the deity
and write a play about God himself, and if he were then to ask my help in
picking an actor for the central role, I know exactly in which direction I
would point him. I would find it entirely credible that the creator of the
universe as we know it was someone very like Sir Ralph [Richardson].' (_The
New Yorker_, 1977)
_50 Years Ago:_ 'Another BBC sf feature, the children's programme,
Dr.Who, is to be censored after complaints that recent episodes have not
been "ideal children's viewing."' (_Skyrack_ 73, December 1964)
_30 Years Ago:_ 'Frank Herbert turned up for a brief press conference
on the _Dune_ debacle -- er, film -- a few weeks ago. There were only two
people there who had actually read anything he'd written -- myself, and a
bald journalist in a shabby mac (yes, I know that describes most of them)
who tended to ask magnificent questions like "I read _Dune_ the first time
it came out and the thing that struck me then as indeed it seems to have
struck most of the reading populace is that it's a great story, a wonderful
story, I thought the way it unfolded, the way it was sustained, there was
so much imagination involved in it. Later on as the years went on, I
suppose people have read things into it, I suppose the same thing happened
with _Lord of the Rings_ and lots of other things. The whole SF genre in
general ... I'm sorry I shall get to the question ... is entertainment
still your first priority, Mr Herbert?" _Herbert:_ I'd feel a helluva lot
more comfortable if you'd call me Frank, guys. _Bald Journalist in Mac who
Woffled:_ Er, thank you, er, Frank... _Herbert:_ Yes it is. Next question?
... etc, etc. Mainly he said what a nice, good, great, magnificent,
marvellous, fab, cool, groovy, hip, zowie-gosh film _Dune_ was. [...] It
might have been a livelier time if _anybody_ there had seen the film, but
since it still hadn't been previewed a scant month before release date ...'
(Neil Gaiman in _Ansible_ 41, December 1984)

C.O.A. _Wilf James_ writes: 'I will be evicted in a Dickensian manner from
my flat at 106 Jarden Letchworth G. C. after 51 years residency by North
Hertfordshire Homes Ltd (NHH) on Tuesday 25th November. This means that I
will not be able to support and promote Science, SF conventions and jazz
events for the indefinite future.' This sad development follows long legal
conflict with NHH. New address not yet known.

FANFUNDERY. _TAFF:_ Declared candidates so far for the 2015 westbound race
from Europe to the Spokane Worldcon (Sasquan) are Nina Horvath and Wolf von
Witting. Ballot forms are expected to appear on 1 January: the voting
deadline will be midnight on 7 April 2015.

THOG'S MASTERCLASS. _Dept of Nuance._ 'This planet was different, but quite
similar.' '"Their brain is so much like ours, but different," the doc
said.' 'Their blood is kind of like ours, only totally different.' (all
Mike Shepherd, _Kris Longknife: Tenacious_, 2014) [PM]
_Diet Fads Dept._ 'I noticed that she'd stopped smelling of yogurt, so
she's either sorted out her thrush problem or given up eating it.' (Denise
Mina, _Deception_, 2003) [PB]
_Neat Tricks._ 'Arcadia's head moved sharply back of itself.' (Isaac
Asimov, '... And Now You Don't', November 1949 _Astounding_) [CG]
_Dept of Phase Change._ 'Arcadia solidified.' (_Ibid_)
_Cognitive Centres Dept._ 'Dorothy's eyes were turned inward to her
long-buried memories.' 'Thoughts ran thick and furious inside her head,
pulsing through her unmoving body, throbbing between her legs.' (both Debra
Ginsberg, _The Neighbors Are Watching_, 2010) [PB]

### GEEKS' CORNER ###

SUBSCRIPTIONS. To receive Ansible monthly via email, send a message to:
ansible-news+subscribe [at] googlegroups.com
You will be asked to confirm by email that you want to join the group. To
resign, send email to:
ansible-news+unsubscribe [at] googlegroups.com
More details here:
http://news.ansible.uk/asubs.html
Home page -- http://news.ansible.uk/
RSS feed -- http://news.ansible.uk/rss.html
LiveJournal syndication -- http://www.livejournal.com/users/ansiblezine/
Back issues -- http://news.ansible.uk/aseries2.html
Email the editor -- http://news.ansible.uk/contact.php
Books Received -- http://ansible.uk/books.php

CONVENTION AND EVENT LINKS
[] British Isles -- http://news.ansible.uk
[] London -- http://news.ansible.uk/london.html
[] Overseas -- http://news.ansible.uk/conlisti.html

### ENDNOTES ###

APPARITIONS.
[] 2 December 2014: Brian Aldiss in conversation at Big Green Bookshop,
Unit 1, Brampton Park Road, Wood Green, London, N22 6BG. 7-8:30pm. Tickets
Pounds5.
http://www.biggreenbookshop.com/
[] 5 December 2014: Brum Group Christmas Social at (not the usual venue)
Selly Park Tavern, 592 Pershore Road, Selly Oak. 7:30pm for 8pm. Normal
meetings resume in the New Year at the Briar Rose Hotel, Bennett's Hill,
Birmingham city centre. 7:30pm for 8pm; Pounds4 or Pounds3 for members.
Contact bhamsfgroup at yahoo co uk or rog dot peyton at btinternet dot com.
Future meetings: 9 January 2015, AGM (ooh, the excitement); 13 February
2015, Quiz; 13 March 2015, TBA; 10 April 2015, Ian Stewart; 8 May 2015,
TBA; 12 June 2015, Stephanie Saulter; 10 July 2015, TBA; 14 August 2015,
Summer Meal.

PAYPAL TIP JAR THINGY. Support _Ansible_, cover website costs and keep the
editor happy! Or just buy his books.
http://ansible.uk/paypal.html
http://ansible.uk/books/index.html
http://ansible.uk/books/leaky.html
http://ansible.uk/books/starcomb.html

CHRIS PRIEST remarks, perhaps regretfully, that 'I have become a mini
internet storm again ...'
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=111644

LATE EVENT NOTICE. 8 Jul 2015 [] LOCATING FANTASTIKA (conference),
Lancaster University. Call for papers deadline: 1 April 2015. See
fantastikaconference.wordpress.com.

EDITORIAL. Juliet McKenna and Cheryl Morgan have been researching the
disastrous implications of imminent "VATMOSS" European VAT rules changes,
which are meant to nobble Amazon _et al_ but are fraught with (perhaps)
unintended consequences. Countless small businesses selling digital
products -- including individual authors with their own ebooks -- must now
jump through tricky bureaucratic hoops. These include applying VAT at the
appropriate local rate for sales to each EU country and recording two
independent confirmations of each buyer's geographical address: PayPal, a
highly popular payment route, provides at most one. Some ebook publishers
are already shutting down in despair. Advice supplied to date by HM Customs
& Excise ranges from the unhelpful to the contradictory. Read and weep:
http://www.julietemckenna.com/?p=1502
http://www.julietemckenna.com/?p=1509
http://www.julietemckenna.com/?p=1516
http://www.julietemckenna.com/?p=1524
http://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=20082
http://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=20100
http://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=20108
http://digitalmicrobusinessactiongroup.wordpress.com/

And on that cheerful note: Happy New Year!

Ansible 329 Copyright (c) David Langford, 2014. Thanks to Paul Barnett,
Charles Christian, Ellen Datlow, Moshe Feder, Paul Di Filippo, Carl Glover,
Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Martyn P. Jackson, Steve Johnson, Mark Kelly, David
K.M. Klaus, Steve Lee, Kenneth C. Mann, Todd Mason, Petrea Mitchell, Kim
Newman, Christopher M. O'Brien, Lawrence Person, Rog Peyton, Andrew I.
Porter, Private Eye, Laurie Sargent, Science Fact & Fiction Concatenation,
SF Site, Steven H Silver, John W Sexton, Jim Steel, Steve Wall, Andrew
Wells, Martin Morse Wooster, Hero Distributors: Dave Corby (BSFG), SCIS,
Alan Stewart (Australia).

David Langford | http://ansible.co.uk/ | http://news.ansible.co.uk/

David Langford

Dec 2, 2014, 4:11:01 AM12/2/14
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:42:36 +0000, David Langford <ans...@cix.co.uk>
wrote:

>ANSIBLE 329
>DECEMBER 2014

Although it's noted on the page below, I forgot to include an advance
warning that the London "First Thursday" pub meeting will be delayed to 8
January as usual when 1 January is a Thursday.

http://news.ansible.uk/london.html