can deaf people hear themselves?

Nez13625

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

i don't mean to sound ignorant but my anatomy class has been assigned to find
this out. we think that yes deaf people could hear themselves talk because
sound is transmitted through bone-UNLESS there was some sort of nerve/brain
damage that caused the deafness.

any takes?

thanks in advance.
-scott

p.s. please e-mail your responses and a list of your qualifications if
appropriate

Catty

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

nez1...@aol.com (Nez13625) wrote:

>i don't mean to sound ignorant but my anatomy class has been assigned to find
>this out. we think that yes deaf people could hear themselves talk because
>sound is transmitted through bone-UNLESS there was some sort of nerve/brain
>damage that caused the deafness.

I can hear people shouting, but I can't hear myself, unless I am
wearing my hearing aid (which, in that case, I can hear everything).
I can only feel (without touching) the sensation of my voice in my
neck. However, when I am submerged in the water, I can hear
my voice. Go figure.

>thanks in advance.
>-scott

>p.s. please e-mail your responses and a list of your qualifications if
>appropriate

LOL! Do I need a doctorate in Deafness to qualify my comment?

Catty

andrew joseph

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

You will probably find that those deaf people who do hear or feel some
of their own speech, will talk at a pitch that is nearest to their
best hearing frequency. People like my daughter have a greater
hearing loss at high frequencies. She hears low frequencies easier
(with aid) so her voice is quite low pitched. She can sometimes hear
me shouting up the stairs but never hears her mother (I have a low
pitched voice as well).

--
You have the mind of a genius, unfortunately, Leonardo da Vinci has
been dead for over 470 years.

Nez13625

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

thanks again for your response:)

-scott

Stuart Baldwin

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:00:17 GMT, ca...@zen-centaur.demon.co.uk (Catty )
wrote:

>nez1...@aol.com (Nez13625) wrote:
>
>>i don't mean to sound ignorant but my anatomy class has been assigned to find
>>this out. we think that yes deaf people could hear themselves talk because
>>sound is transmitted through bone-UNLESS there was some sort of nerve/brain
>>damage that caused the deafness.
>

>I can hear people shouting, but I can't hear myself, unless I am
>wearing my hearing aid (which, in that case, I can hear everything).
>I can only feel (without touching) the sensation of my voice in my
>neck. However, when I am submerged in the water, I can hear
>my voice. Go figure.

Same here, except that I can't hear people shouting unless my aids are in
and on and even when they are I can't make out speech without a lot of
luck and lipreading. Odd that thing about the water, because as far as I
am aware my deafness is sensorineural (sp?), yet I can get at least a
sensation of sound when my ears are full of water.
--
Stuart Baldwin
uk.people.deaf FAQ etc.: http://www.boxatrix.demon.co.uk/upd/

Jennifer Owen

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

I'm profoundly deaf, and I can feel the vibrations when I talk, so in that
way I can 'hear' myself.
If I am in the bath and I submerge my head, but leave my face out, and then
talk, I can actually hear every thing I say and sing. Normally I cant hear
my own voice. Does that help?
Jenny

Chris Hills

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

In article <01bd0725$8af469e0$LocalHost@default>, Jennifer Owen
<J.A....@btinternet.com> writes

Very tempted to ask for a demonstration (for sientific reasons of
course;-)

Seriously it was an intesting question along the line of do blind people
dream in colour. What the mind sees and hears may not be what what is
actually out there. In the case of speach are you hearing the vibrations
or the thought in you head? In this case it appear to be the vibrations.

\/\/\/\/\/\ Chris England /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Mark Hester

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Jennifer Owen wrote in message <01bd0725$8af469e0$LocalHost@default>...

>I'm profoundly deaf, and I can feel the vibrations when I talk, so in that
>way I can 'hear' myself.
>If I am in the bath and I submerge my head, but leave my face out, and then
>talk, I can actually hear every thing I say and sing. Normally I cant hear
>my own voice. Does that help?
>Jenny

Same me too. If someone shout at me, I can feel vibrate or telepathy.

IT IS DEAF CULTURE WAY TO DO IT.

Deaf people did not stupid that with hearing's ignorant...

I look forward to hearing from you, shortly. Please don't hesitate to
contact
me the mail.

Kindness regards

Webmaster of DeafScape Internet UK.

email - n...@deafnet.demon.co.uk
http://www.deafnet.demon.co.uk
NOTICE new@*IHATESPAM*demon.co.uk
~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
- Remove -

begin 666 Mark Simon Hester.vcf
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Beesli

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

I got the following request over the wires from a young English woman who is
studying to be an ASL/English interpreter in the USA (it's a long story!).
She's asked me to pass on her request:
"Do you know of anyone in the Reading or London area who signs ASL? I was
wondering if you could help me as I am coming home for the holidays and would
like to keep up the practice! Can you help?"
If there's a native ASL user in the London or Reading areas who'd like to
respond, either contact me or contact her direct on <ENGC...@AOL.COM>
Cheers!
BEESLI

Stuart Baldwin

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 02:03:23 -0000, "Mark Hester"
<ne...@deafnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>begin 666 Mark Simon Hester.vcf

>M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"DXZ2&5S=&5R.TUA<FL[4VEM;VX-"D9..DUA<FL@4VEM

Binaries and encoded files contravene the uk.people.deaf newsgroup
charter. Apart from being unreadable content in a text-based medium, if
we allow binaries then it may result in news administrators dropping some
or all uk.* newsgroups.

M.A. Fox

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

andrew joseph wrote:

> You will probably find that those deaf people who do hear or feel some
> of their own speech, will talk at a pitch that is nearest to their
> best hearing frequency. People like my daughter have a greater
> hearing loss at high frequencies. She hears low frequencies easier
> (with aid) so her voice is quite low pitched. She can sometimes hear
> me shouting up the stairs but never hears her mother (I have a low
> pitched voice as well).

The same thing applies to me - my father "shouts" whereas my mother
"whispers".

I speak at a low pitch - just as well I'm a man!!

Mark

Simon Mctighe

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

your ideas about bone conduction and nerve conduction are correct as far
as they go. The vast majority of deaf people have nerve deafness, also
known as sensorineural deafness, so it makes no difference whether they
are trying to hear their own voice or an external sound. If the deafness
is "conductive" due to problems in the middle or outer ear, then the
intact auditory nerve picks up the sounds via the bones with no problem.

what your question did not allow for is that many deaf people have some
hearing. It may not be enough to understand speech, particularly without
hearing aids, but if your question is then "can deaf people who have some
residual hearing hear the sound of their own voices" then the answer is
probably yes.

If you lose your hearing completely after you have learned to speak, as
my husband did, you can no longer hear your own voice, and it can be very
difficult to speak at an appropriate level of loudness. In addition, you
cannot hear if your patterns of speech become altered. Deafened people
sometimes have a rather characteristic way of speaking, with slurring of
sounds and a loss of intonation.

I hope this helps

Ruth

smct...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Alan Gould

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

In article <EL8qB...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, Simon Mctighe
<smct...@cix.compulink.co.uk> writes
snip......

>what your question did not allow for is that many deaf people have some
>hearing. It may not be enough to understand speech, particularly without
>hearing aids, but if your question is then "can deaf people who have some
>residual hearing hear the sound of their own voices" then the answer is
>probably yes.

Yes, I'm in that category, very little hearing at all now, but due to
damage and gradual age loss, rather than congenital. Without any hearing
aids in, I can hear very little of my own speaking, or anyone else's.

I remember when I was beginning to struggle with hearing that I used to
speak more loudly than necessary, due apparently to adjusting my voice
until I could hear it myself.

With hearing aids in, the amount I hear varies with the volume of the
aids, so if I have them turned up high, I either speak less loudly, or
hear my voice booming through my head.
--
Alan Gould | al...@agolincs.demon.co.uk

Melissa Mostyn

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

In article <349575...@durham.ac.uk>, "M.A. Fox"
<m.a...@durham.ac.uk> writes

>I speak at a low pitch - just as well I'm a man!!

<falsetto> Oooooh!

------
Tony Barlow

Email : toy...@miss-lissa.demon.co.uk (Home)
barl...@sbu.ac.uk (Work)
Text/Fax: 0171 624 4652
Pager : 01426 187 185

gru7...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 3:40:22 PM8/31/16
On Wednesday, December 10, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Nez13625 wrote:
> i don't mean to sound ignorant but my anatomy class has been assigned to find
> this out. we think that yes deaf people could hear themselves talk because
> sound is transmitted through bone-UNLESS there was some sort of nerve/brain
> damage that caused the deafness.
>
> any takes?
>
> thanks in advance.
> -scott
>
> p.s. please e-mail your responses and a list of your qualifications if
> appropriate
I have been partially deaf in one ear since my teens, gradually my hearing has gone in both ears, Iam 77 and I wear aids, without them I can hear my own voice.I have been told that , with my aids in I tend to talk too loud. This morning I was riding my scooter and singing , I thought to myself, but a couple walking about 15 yards in front of me heard me, so even a what I think is a low volume is actually louder than I think it is.

Message has been deleted