This old chart from 1987 wasn't told in a foreign land

Chris Brown

Nov 24, 2019, 3:03:52 PM11/24/19
Well, depends where you are when you read this, I suppose, but it's a UK
chart anyway. There are multiple nationalities in this chart though:
mostly British and American acts(including some Brits I thought at the
time were American) but also Spanish, Australian, French, Swiss, Czech
and Icelandic...
Also in here, a cover version that is less famous than the original
which is in turn probably less famous than another cover of the song.

Playlists here. I'd add a parental advisory for certain tracks if I
thought anyone under 40 would see this.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4RIqnuhWQhfPK6AKCDxGeH?si=93KFhDHUQYiZaSMFR7BlCA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrdlwXKzAHKDaceSFIUsEih

Chart dated: 28th November 1987

1. (1) T'Pau China In Your Hand
2. (2) George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You
3. (3) Rick Astley Whenever You Need Somebody
4. (4) The Communards Never Can Say Goodbye
5. (9) Whitney Houston So Emotional
6. (6) Bill Medley And Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
7. (5) Nina Simone My Baby Just Cares For Me
8. (14) Alexander O'Neal Criticize
9. (11) Whitesnake Here I Go Again 1987
10. (25) The Proclaimers Letter From America
11. (8) Mirage Jack Mix IV
12. (18) Maxi Priest Some Guys Have All The Luck
13. (17) Donna Summer Dinner With Gershwin
14. (20) Barry White Sho' You Right
15. (7) The Bee Gees You Win Again
16. (13) Bananarama Love In The First Degree
17. (10) Freddie Mercury And Montserrat Caballe Barcelona
18. (26) Boy George To Be Reborn
19. (30) The Housemartins Build
20. (16) Eric B And Rakim Paid In Full
21. (12) George Michael Faith
22. (15) Fleetwood Mac Little Lies
23. (NE) Paul McCartney Once Upon A Long Ago
24. (33) Blue Mercedes I Want To Be Your Property
25. (23) The Smiths I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
26. (45) The Tams There Ain't Nothing Like Shaggin'
27. (NE) Shakin' Stevens What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For
28. (58) The Hooters Satellite
29. (NE) Jellybean Who Found Who ft Elisa Fiorillo
30. (44) Cutting Crew I've Been In Love Before {1987}
31. (NE) Def Leppard Hysteria
32. (19) Billy Idol Mony Mony
33. (39) Luther Vandross So Amazing
34. (48) Glen Goldsmith I Won't Cry
35. (64) Johnny Hates Jazz Turn Back The Clock
36. (NE) Prince I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
37. (22) Jan Hammer Crockett's Theme
38. (21) Was (Not Was) Walk The Dinosaur
39. (28) Scarlet Fantastic No Memory
40. (42) Public Enemy Rebel Without A Pause
41. (24) Ray Parker Jr I Don't Think That Man Should Sleep Alone
42. (29) Erasure The Circus
43. (NE) Alison Moyet Love Letters
44. (NE) ABC King Without A Crown
45. (55) Voice Of The Beehive I Say Nothing
46. (51) Joe Cocker Unchain My Heart
47. (40) Rick Astley Never Gonna Give You Up
48. (37) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I See She
Dance)
49. (61) Peter Gabriel Biko {1987 live version}
50. (35) Jellybean The Real Thing ft Steven Dante
51. (36) Kiss Crazy Crazy Nights
52. (68) Labi Siffre Nothing's Gonna Change
53. (54) Desireless Voyage Voyage
54. (27) Marillion Warm Wet Circles
55. (38) Abigail Mead And Nigel Goulding Full Metal Jacket (I Wanna Be
Your Drill Instructor)
56. (32) Pet Shop Boys Rent
57. (76) Errol Brown Body Rockin'
58. (47) All About Eve In The Clouds
59. (31) WASP I Don't Need No Doctor
60. (41) Sting We'll Be Together
61. (34) The Jesus And Mary Chain Darklands
62. (73) Wilson Pickett In The Midnight Hour
63. (72) Sherrick Let's Be Lovers Tonight
64. (NE) Simply Red Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
65. (52) Michael Jackson Bad
66. (49) Zodiac Mindwarp Back Seat Education
67. (66) LL Cool J Go Cut Creator Go
68. (65) Sugarcubes Birthday
69. (46) UB40 Maybe Tomorrow
70. (62) This Year's Blonde Who's That Mix
71. (57) The Fall Hit The North
72. (NE) R.E.M. The One I Love
72. (NE) The Damned In Dulce Decorum
74. (75) Chris Paul Back In My Arms
75. (NE) GOSH The Wishing Well
76. (NE) Icicle Works High Time
77. (85) Miles Jay Let's Start Over ft Roy Ayers
78. (87) Double Devil's Ball
79. (NE) Krush House Arrest
80. (RE) Paul Lekakis Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room)
81. (NE) Bros When Will I Be Famous
82. (69) Elaine Paige The Second Time
83. (78) Cookie Crew Females
84. (NE) Roger Waters The Tide Is Turning
85. (NE) Ray Moore Bog Eyed Jog
86. (NE) Natalie Cole I Live For Your Love
87. (77) Donny Osmond Groove
88. (NE) Chas 'N' Dave Flying
89. (59) Janet Jackson Funny How Time Flies
90. (98) Neil Diamond I Dreamed A Dream
91. (NE) Cher I Found Someone
92. (81) Radio Heart All Across The Nation ft Gary Numan
93. (NE) Party Boys He's Gonna Step On You Again
94. (NE) William Pitt City Lights
95. (RE) Bryan Ferry The Right Stuff
96. (80) The Sisters Of Mercy This Corrosion
97. (82) Sybil My Love Is Guaranteed
98. (91) Zuzan Girls Can Jak Too
99. (84) Edwyn Collins My Beloved Girl
100. (94) Peter Auty And The Sinfonia Of London Walking In The Air {1987}

Chris

Vidcapper

Nov 25, 2019, 1:44:21 AM11/25/19
On 24/11/2019 20:03, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated: 28th November 1987
>
> 1. (1) T'Pau China In Your Hand
> 2. (2) George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You

> 6. (6) Bill Medley And Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of
> My Life

> 15. (7) The Bee Gees You Win Again
> 16. (13) Bananarama Love In The First Degree
> 17. (10) Freddie Mercury And Montserrat Caballe Barcelona

> 21. (12) George Michael Faith

> 37. (22) Jan Hammer Crockett's Theme

> 47. (40) Rick Astley Never Gonna Give You Up
> 48. (37) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I
> See She Dance)

> 51. (36) Kiss Crazy Crazy Nights

> 65. (52) Michael Jackson Bad

> 81. (NE) Bros When Will I Be Famous

I know more than I expected to, given I wasn't actively following the
charts by then.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Nov 25, 2019, 8:24:58 AM11/25/19
I wonder whether it's because we're nearing the end of the year, when
you tend to get more releases from big acts?
Of course there are a few songs in here that are well-known outside the
typical pop musical world anyway.

This seems as good a time as any for my list of songs with other
familiar versions (ignoring the fact that Whitesnake and Wilson Pickett
are effectively covering their own songs here).

4. (4) The Communards Never Can Say Goodbye
6. (6) Bill Medley And Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
12. (18) Maxi Priest Some Guys Have All The Luck
27. (NE) Shakin' Stevens What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For
32. (19) Billy Idol Mony Mony
43. (NE) Alison Moyet Love Letters
46. (51) Joe Cocker Unchain My Heart
64. (NE) Simply Red Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
69. (46) UB40 Maybe Tomorrow
90. (98) Neil Diamond I Dreamed A Dream
93. (NE) Party Boys He's Gonna Step On You Again
100. (94) Peter Auty And The Sinfonia Of London Walking In The Air

Chris

James Heaton

Nov 26, 2019, 12:41:32 PM11/26/19

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, depends where you are when you read this, I suppose, but it's a UK
> chart anyway. There are multiple nationalities in this chart though:
> mostly British and American acts(including some Brits I thought at the
> time were American) but also Spanish, Australian, French, Swiss, Czech and
> Icelandic...
> Also in here, a cover version that is less famous than the original which
> is in turn probably less famous than another cover of the song.
>
> Playlists here. I'd add a parental advisory for certain tracks if I
> thought anyone under 40 would see this.
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4RIqnuhWQhfPK6AKCDxGeH?si=93KFhDHUQYiZaSMFR7BlCA
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrdlwXKzAHKDaceSFIUsEih
>
> Chart dated: 28th November 1987
>
> 17. (10) Freddie Mercury And Montserrat Caballe Barcelona

This seems to be getting a lot of airplay lately, and not just the last week
for the anniversary of his death

> 22. (15) Fleetwood Mac Little Lies

One of the last releases from the classic line up - Lindsay didn't last the
tour

> 37. (22) Jan Hammer Crockett's Theme

Quite often heard this coming up the stairs at night, Dad was a big Miami
Vice fan

> 55. (38) Abigail Mead And Nigel Goulding Full Metal Jacket (I Wanna Be
> Your Drill Instructor)

When we did the Wizard of Oz as a school play, one of the kids and one of
the teachers wrote a parody of this for the Winkie Guards to sing/rap rather
than just chanting oh ee oh ee oh oh.

Can only remember a few lines and no idea where the VHS of that play is (in
spite of being in a fairly poor area, a few parents worked at HTV, the Welsh
regional station, and could borrow kit.)

We belong to the Wizard of Oz
A mighty fine man he's our boss
Protect me now the Wizard said
The witches' monkeys haven't been fed.

I was the Wizard himself, sitting behind a screen and using props to distort
my voice and sound horrible. Made at least one kid in the audience cry most
nights!

> 71. (57) The Fall Hit The North

Same title as one of the defining radio shows of my youth

> 72. (NE) R.E.M. The One I Love

From when they were still an underground band

> 75. (NE) GOSH The Wishing Well

Sickly charity single but in a very good cause. Think mother bought it.

> 81. (NE) Bros When Will I Be Famous

First time in the charts I think? Or had I Owe you nothing grazed the lower
reaches already?

> 86. (NE) Natalie Cole I Live For Your Love

A big hit in 88 or 89 on re-release I think

> 93. (NE) Party Boys He's Gonna Step On You Again

Cover of the John Kongos track which the Happy Mondays went on to cover
(think it was them not Black Grape?)

> 100. (94) Peter Auty And The Sinfonia Of London Walking In The Air {1987}

Christmas seems to get earlier every year...

James

Robbie

Nov 26, 2019, 3:08:07 PM11/26/19
On 26/11/2019 17:41, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> 22. (15) Fleetwood Mac Little Lies
>
> One of the last releases from the classic line up - Lindsay didn't last
> the tour

Did he even start the tour? I thought he left the band just before their
tour started.

>> 81. (NE) Bros When Will I Be Famous
>
> First time in the charts I think?  Or had I Owe you nothing grazed the
> lower reaches already?

'I Owe You Nothing' charted in the lower reaches of the charts in
Septmeber 1987 (#80) so was their first (top 100) hit.

>> 86. (NE) Natalie Cole I Live For Your Love
>
> A big hit in 88 or 89 on re-release I think

I didn't realise that when it made the top 40 a year later it was as a
re-issue.

>> 93. (NE) Party Boys He's Gonna Step On You Again
>
> Cover of the John Kongos track which the Happy Mondays went on to cover
> (think it was them not Black Grape?)

Happy Mondays...

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Nov 26, 2019, 5:05:46 PM11/26/19
On 26/11/2019 17:41, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, depends where you are when you read this, I suppose, but it's a
>> UK chart anyway. There are multiple nationalities in this chart
>> though: mostly British and American acts(including some Brits I
>> thought at the time were American) but also Spanish, Australian,
>> French, Swiss, Czech and Icelandic...
>> Also in here, a cover version that is less famous than the original
>> which is in turn probably less famous than another cover of the song.
>>
>> Playlists here. I'd add a parental advisory for certain tracks if I
>> thought anyone under 40 would see this.
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4RIqnuhWQhfPK6AKCDxGeH?si=93KFhDHUQYiZaSMFR7BlCA
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrdlwXKzAHKDaceSFIUsEih
>>
>> Chart dated: 28th November 1987
>>
>> 17. (10) Freddie Mercury And Montserrat Caballe Barcelona
>
> This seems to be getting a lot of airplay lately, and not just the last
> week for the anniversary of his death

Is this a secret signal?

>> 22. (15) Fleetwood Mac Little Lies
>
> One of the last releases from the classic line up - Lindsay didn't last
> the tour

I didn't think he even started it.
And of course he's left again now although they did manage to release
one EP a few years ago.

>> 37. (22) Jan Hammer Crockett's Theme
>
> Quite often heard this coming up the stairs at night, Dad was a big
> Miami Vice fan

'Course he was, it' not all work work work...

>> 55. (38) Abigail Mead And Nigel Goulding Full Metal Jacket (I Wanna Be
>> Your Drill Instructor)
>
> When we did the Wizard of Oz as a school play, one of the kids and one
> of the teachers wrote a parody of this for the Winkie Guards to sing/rap
> rather than just chanting oh ee oh ee oh oh.

Winkie Guards? I never noticed that name before.

> Can only remember a few lines and no idea where the VHS of that play is
> (in spite of being in a fairly poor area, a few parents worked at HTV,
> the Welsh regional station, and could borrow kit.)
>
> We belong to the Wizard of Oz
> A mighty fine man he's our boss
> Protect me now the Wizard said
> The witches' monkeys haven't been fed.

I wish we'd had that sort of creativity at my school.

> I was the Wizard himself, sitting behind a screen and using props to
> distort my voice and sound horrible.  Made at least one kid in the
> audience cry most nights!

At least you were probably supposed to. Unlike some of my acting.

>> 71. (57) The Fall Hit The North
>
> Same title as one of the defining radio shows of my youth

I presumed it was named after the song, although of course Marc Riley
was long gone from the band by this point.

>> 72. (NE) R.E.M. The One I Love
>
> From when they were still an underground band

Their first UK Top 75 week, I think. Although this had already been a
Top 10 hit in the US.

>> 75. (NE) GOSH The Wishing Well
>
> Sickly charity single but in a very good cause.  Think mother bought it.

I don't really remember it, though it's one of the few charity singles
to have been added to Spotify.

>> 81. (NE) Bros When Will I Be Famous
>
> First time in the charts I think?  Or had I Owe you nothing grazed the
> lower reaches already?

Yes it had, even though this seems the obvious song to release first.

>> 86. (NE) Natalie Cole I Live For Your Love
>
> A big hit in 88 or 89 on re-release I think

Remixed to be exact.

>> 93. (NE) Party Boys He's Gonna Step On You Again
>
> Cover of the John Kongos track which the Happy Mondays went on to cover
> (think it was them not Black Grape?)

It was indeed the Mondays at that point.
As far I know they weren't aware of this version.

>> 100. (94) Peter Auty And The Sinfonia Of London Walking In The Air {1987}
>
> Christmas seems to get earlier every year...

I don't know exactly why it was reissued at this point. Was the film out
on video or something?

Chris