Chart Commentary 27/10/16

Vidcapper

Oct 22, 2016, 12:34:05 PM10/22/16
Singles
-------
Little Mix take over at #1, despite only 5 days sales.

New Entries/New Peaks
---------------------
Top 5 : Hailee Steinfeld #5
Top 10 :
Top 20 : Neiked #12, Maroon 5 #16
Top 30 :
Top 40 : 5th Harmony #31, Galantis #37, Shaun Mendez #40

Re-entries T40 :

New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Vamps #42, Kideko & George
Kwali #50, James TW #54, John Gibbons #59, Craig david #64, Andy Grammer #69

Re-entries T75 : KoL #45, OR #58

Albums
------
New Entries/New Peaks
---------------------
Kings Of Leon take the #1 spot

Top 5 : Phil Collins #2, Tom Chaplin #3, Two Door Cinema Club #5
Top 10 : Rebecca Ferguson #7, Blackberry Smoke #8, Katie Melua #9
Top 20 :

New entries & new peaks outside the top 20 : Beth Hart #28, David Teie
#33, John Cooper Clarke & Hugh Cornwell #34, Hillsong Worship #36, Game
#38, Jojo #46, Dillinger Escape Plan #47, Motion Picture Cast Recording #57

Re-entries : Oasis #4,UB40 #51, 5th Farmony #61, Madonna #62, Elvis #65,
#66, Madonna #72

Next Week
---------
Singles
-------
Little Mix will surely remain #1

Top 5 : Hailee S (T3)
Top 10 : Neiked, Maroon 5
Top 20 : Emeli Sande, Neiked
Top 30 : 5th Harmony
Top 40 : Vamps

Albums
------
Big battle this week between Lady Gaga, Elvis, and Michael Buble - I
expect the latter to prevail.

Top 5 : Lady Gaga, Elvis
Top 10 : Leonard Cohen
Top 20 : Korn, Pretty Reckless, Mel C

Outside Top 20 : Agnes Obel, I Prevail, Jimmy Eat World, NxWorries

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

John

Oct 22, 2016, 5:30:10 PM10/22/16
In article <0yMOz.981394$zE....@fx46.am4>, Vidcapper, vidcapper1
@yahoo.co.uk says...

> Singles
> -------
> Little Mix take over at #1, despite only 5 days sales.

So, James Arthur, the man who could be moved :-)

Chris Brown

Oct 23, 2016, 7:35:40 PM10/23/16
On 22/10/2016 17:33, Vidcapper wrote:
> Singles
> -------
> Little Mix take over at #1, despite only 5 days sales.

Less than that, in fact, as the release was only on Sunday night.
Nonetheless they are the first act to go straight in at 1 since Major
Lazer, and the first female act to take lead credit on a Number One
single since Adele late last year. That Adele release was also the last
time we had consecutive Number One singles by British acts.

> New Entries/New Peaks
> ---------------------
> Top 5 : Hailee Steinfeld #5

Zedd is rather sporadically successful.

> Top 20 : Neiked #12,

Not the best record ever made by Swedish people.

> Maroon 5 #16

I "Don't Want To Know" about a new Maroon 5 single, but somehow I have
to find out anyway. It gives Kendrick Lamar two simultaneous hits.

> Top 40 : 5th Harmony #31,

Seems to be climbing a lot faster than the last single did.

>Galantis #37,

I haven't heard exactly how annoying this is.

> Shaun Mendez #40

I know he's doing the Teen Awards this weekend. I'm not sure whether he
was already here during this chart week, though. If so that might have
been an opportunity to make this single slightly less of a flop.

> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Vamps #42,

Jumping on the tropical house bandwagon hasn't quite worked out for
them, although the introduction of streaming (and to a lesser extent,
OAOS releases) has been difficult for all but the biggest boy bands to
adjust to.

> Kideko & George Kwali #50,

The other people credited on this single include Sweetie Irie, who has
previous hits to his name.

>James TW #54,

I assumed this would be doing better on streaming than sales. But I was
wrong.

>John Gibbons #59,

This is going to take ages to get into the high end of the chart.

>Craig david #64,

This also seems less frontloaded than he has been recently.

>Andy Grammer #69

Second hit from the American Olly Murs. One track that really is doing
better on streams; I assume it's on a special "irritatingly smug" playlist.

> Re-entries T75 : KoL #45,

Remarkably big boost from the album release, considering it peaked in
its first week.

>OR #58

You wait ages for a re-entry and then two turn up in the same week.
As usual, they were on XF.

> Albums
> ------
> New Entries/New Peaks
> ---------------------
> Kings Of Leon take the #1 spot

I hadn't particularly noticed that it was almost exactly three years
since their last album. I hadn't noticed at all - until it was pointed
out - that all their previous album titles had five-syllable titles. If
sventh album Walls initially seems an exception to that rule, it turns
out that it's actually an acronym for We Are Like Love Songs.
They seem to be on the verge of drifting into Oasis territory, where
each new album is a return to form until the next one, but it was
inevitable that they'd get to the top here.

> Top 5 : Phil Collins #2,

Continuing and presumably concluding his "Take A Look At Me Now"
re-issue programme, the baldly-titled The Singles coincides with the
publication of his autobiography and the announcement of his return to
live performance next year. It's available as a 3CD set - which as far
as I can tell does cover all his UK/US singles from 1981-2010 in
chronological order - or as a 2CD/4LP selection in a seemingly random
order. Despite the title, though, it doesn't use any single edits or
mixes, preferring album versions. It even includes studio versions of
his live singles. Obviously a lot of people won't care about this, but
it is something of a missed opportunity for his fans.

> Tom Chaplin #3,

Solo debut album from the man who is widely described as the "former"
lead singer of Keane, in a way that implies they've split up although I
can't say I'd noticed. Whilst he was the vocalist, he didn't write songs
or the band so this was his first opportunity to sing about his personal
demons, including the well-publicised drug problems that occasioned
those "Charlie Chaplin" headlines. Mind you, I suspect there are a lot
of people who own one or more Keane albums and couldn't name any member
of the band, so it's not a shock that this has sold less than a quarter
as much as Kings Of Leon.
At least fans are well-provided for with the five additional tracks on
the deluxe version.

> Two Door Cinema Club #5

After two successful albums, the trio signed to a major label and scored
their first Top 40 single in 2013. Then things went very quiet. Finally,
three years and a couple of weeks later, they return with a third album
(which doesn't include the hit). Many fans have been critical of the
band's new sound, objecting to the "disco" beats and falsetto vocals.
Which is odd, because that's what I thought they sounded like already.
Presumably if you're not into their new direction the four bonus tracks
on the deluxe version only make things worse.

> Top 10 : Rebecca Ferguson #7,

Her fourth album and a return to original material after the perhaps
ill-advised Billie Holiday covers. Superwoman is apparently inspired by
her troubled personal life over the last couple of years.
I'm not sure whether she's trying to look like a rabbit on the cover though.

> Blackberry Smoke #8,

Fifth album from the country-rockers and their first Top 10 as they've
gradually worked their way up. So far up that they've managed to secure
a guest appearance from Gregg Allman on this album. Their growing
audience apparently also means that the limited edition "signed" edition
actually just has their signatures printed on it.

> Katie Melua #9

Her first album since parting company with Mike Batt, In Winter is a
seasonal (if slightly early) album featuring the Gori Women's Choir.
Like Melua herself they are from Georgia and they back her on a
selection that includes four new compositions, some traditional tunes
and a staple of such releases, Joni Mitchell's 'River'.

> New entries & new peaks outside the top 20 : Beth Hart #28,

Like the aforementioned Tom Chaplin, Hart has had her problems with
substance abuse in the past, but she's been clean for over ten years
now, so the song on this album entitled 'Coca Cola' probably isn't
euphemistic. It's her eighth solo album and her highest-charting to
date, after her collaborations with Joe Bonamassa boosted her UK profile.

> David Teie #33,

Promoted as the first album released by a major label for a non-human
audience, Music For Cats is supposedly the product of scientific
research to appeal to feline listeners and was originally produced by a
successful crowdfunding campaign. However, at the much-promoted London
launch party, many of the cats in attendance seemed to be more
interested in the sandwiches than the music. Mind you, that probably
happens at the launches of a lot of albums aimed at humans too.

> John Cooper Clarke & Hugh Cornwell #34,

Two men who between them have a 134-year lifespan and three surnames
beginning with C. "Dr" John Cooper Clarke was of course the Salford poet
who came to prominence during the punk era and scored an unlikely Top 40
single with 'Gimmix!! Play Loud', though he reached a much wider
audience when his poem Evidently Chickentown was used in an episode of
The Sopranos, and when he appeared in adverts for Sugar Puffs. Cornwell,
meanwhile, was the guitarist and usual singer from the Stranglers from
their inception until 1990. Now they've teamed up for an unlikely album
of mostly 50s and 60s cover versions sung by Cooper Clarke in his own
unique style.

>Hillsong Worship #36,

In line with their apparent policy, this is out on downloads first
before the CD/DVD release. It's their 25th live album and apparently
features the return of some early group members. Apparently there are a
lot of songs about Jesus on here, which doesn't seem entirely surprising
for a Christian act.

> Game #38,

His third album in 13 months, 1992 is as the title suggests a retro
album about the LA gangsta rap scene in the early 1990s. One hopes,
therefore, that 'F***k Orange Juice' is not some kind of diss track to
Edwyn Collins.

>Jojo #46,

On Friday, as this chart was being announced, I had the unusual
experience of seeing her second album in a charity shop. It's usually
the first one.
After many years of record company disputes and other problems, she's
finally returned with a third and despite no longer having the novelty
value of being a child she's still found a market for it. She's also
found the budget for guest appearances by Alessia Cara and Wiz Khalifa.

>Dillinger Escape Plan #47,

Whilst my main memory of this band is of trying not to get them mixed up
with the Dillinger 4, they managed to build up a loyal fanbase over the
years. Now they are themselves escaping, with this announced as their
final album and almost giving them a Top 40 position as a farewell.

>Motion Picture Cast Recording #57

Inexplicably in the main chart rather than the compilations listing were
it belongs, this soundtrack to the cartoon Trolls arrived a week before
the film made it to cinemas and months after Justin Timberlake's lead
single 'Can't Stop The Feeling!', which is on the album twice.
As well as Timberlake, other tracks feature Gwen Stefani, Ariana Grande,
Anna Kendrick and Zooey Deschanel.

> Re-entries : Oasis #4,

Third in the series of 20th anniversary album reissues, although unlike
the first two albums this has been scheduled for the anniversary of the
recording process starting, rather than finishing. Be Here Now was of
course released in August 1997, to a famously rapturous reception which
was no less famously regretted by many soon afterwards. The album -
which runs to 72 minutes with only 12 tracks, including the reprise -
has become almost synonymous with overambition, poor timing, group think
and the effects of excessive cocaine use. Even Noel Gallagher was quick
to disown the album, starting the cycle that continued for the rest of
their career.
Given the album's still poor reputation it's unlikely that there will
have been many takers for the single CD remaster. More fans will be
drawn to the deluxe edition which adds a second CD with the original
B-sides from the album (curiously, their cover of "Heroes" is omitted)
and the usual assortment of demos and rarities plus Noel Gallagher's
2016 "rethink" of the lead single 'D'You Know What I Mean?' A third CD
reproduces the original demo recordings Noel Gallagher made on the
Caribbean island of Mustique. Some might say that this was where it all
went wrong.

>UB40 #51,

Presumably the special offer is back on? I think I saw some copies of
this in Morrisons in Hatch End but I didn't buy them.

>5th Farmony #61,

Is Farmony what they pay people who drive combine harvesters?

> Madonna #62,

Sainsburys have released a batch of limited edition coloured-vinyl LPs
in some of their stores, although many people reported difficulty in
finding out which branches. Evidently some people managed to find them,
though, and this pressing of 1986 album True Blue in the appropriate
colour has sold the best. It's at 3 on the vinyl-only chart, behind
Oasis and Kings Of Leon.

>Elvis #65, #66,

ELV1S and last year's orchestral album, respectively, boosted by promo
for the latest orchestral nonsense.

> Madonna #72

1989 album, and arguable career highlight, Like A Prayer on Red vinyl.
Which makes as much sense as any other colour.

> Next Week
> ---------
> Singles
> -------
> Little Mix will surely remain #1

Easily, they've got a video and everything.

> Top 5 : Hailee S (T3)

Quite possible. Can't envisage her overtaking James Arthur for the
Number 2 yet.

> Top 10 : Neiked,

Seems more likely than not.

>Maroon 5

Really not sure about this - does it have the momentum?

> Top 20 : Emeli Sande,

How does a run of 22-22-27-22-27 suggest that?

>Neiked

Is it going to climb and drop in the same week?

> Top 30 : 5th Harmony

Wouldn't need much.

> Top 40 : Vamps

No way. It's not completely impossible that it might get there
eventually, but there's no imaginable way for it to happen this week.

Speaking of XF, Shawn Mendes was on there so he can probably have an
actual hit for a couple of weeks. Clean Bandit look like having a decen
sized hit. And John Legend was on XF too but he might be too boring even
for their viewers.,

> Albums
> ------
> Big battle this week between Lady Gaga, Elvis, and Michael Buble - I
> expect the latter to prevail.

I'm sure Buble will win out.

> Top 5 : Lady Gaga, Elvis

I'm even surer Elvis will outdo Gaga, although I'm not sure what order
you'd put them in.

> Top 10 : Leonard Cohen

Yep. He's obviously picked too busy a week for any better than that.

> Top 20 : Korn,

Probably still enough fans. Since nobody else cared anyway.

> Pretty Reckless,

If the charts were decided by how often the OCC tweeted uninteresting
interview quotes, this would go T5.

> Mel C

Seems about right.

> Outside Top 20 : Agnes Obel,

Agreed.

>I Prevail,

No idea but I presume it's some sort of metal.

>Jimmy Eat World,

I agree, at current rates.

> NxWorries

Did a cat jump on your keyboard or is there actually somebody called that?

Also, Chrissie Hynde could probably get an album into the T75 even as
herself, let alone The Pretenders. David Crosby still has his fans too.
Status Quo can reliably draw out their fans too. Note that the Lazarus
cast recording will probably be eligible for the chart and includes
three exclusive David Bowie tracks.

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 24, 2016, 2:39:39 AM10/24/16
On 24/10/2016 00:35, Chris Brown wrote:

>> Singles
>> -------
>> Little Mix take over at #1, despite only 5 days sales.
>
> Less than that, in fact, as the release was only on Sunday night.

I couldn't tell that just from my iT chart archive though.

> Nonetheless they are the first act to go straight in at 1 since Major
> Lazer, and the first female act to take lead credit on a Number One
> single since Adele late last year. That Adele release was also the last
> time we had consecutive Number One singles by British acts.

Didn't notice that.

>> New Entries/New Peaks
>> ---------------------
>> Top 5 : Hailee Steinfeld #5
>
> Zedd is rather sporadically successful.

It's always confusing when you do that.

>> Galantis #37,
>
> I haven't heard exactly how annoying this is.

A slightly ambiguous statement. :)

>> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Vamps #42,
>
> Jumping on the tropical house bandwagon

What's 'tropical house'?

>> John Gibbons #59,
>
> This is going to take ages to get into the high end of the chart.

If ever?

>> Craig david #64,
>
> This also seems less frontloaded than he has been recently.

You make him sound like Pamela Anderson. :D

>> Albums
>> ------
>> New Entries/New Peaks
>> ---------------------
>> Kings Of Leon take the #1 spot

it was
> inevitable that they'd get to the top here.

And they would have still done so if they'd released at any time in the
last 23 weeks...

>> Top 5 : Phil Collins #2,
>
> Continuing and presumably concluding his "Take A Look At Me Now"
> re-issue programme, the baldly-titled The Singles coincides with the
> publication of his autobiography and the announcement of his return to
> live performance next year. It's available as a 3CD set - which as far
> as I can tell does cover all his UK/US singles from 1981-2010 in
> chronological order

How many did he even release in the latter part of that period?

>> Top 10 : Rebecca Ferguson #7,
>
> Her fourth album and a return to original material after the perhaps
> ill-advised Billie Holiday covers. Superwoman is apparently inspired by
> her troubled personal life over the last couple of years.

Is there any pop singer who *doesn't* have that? :p

>> Katie Melua #9
>
> Her first album since parting company with Mike Batt

Again?

>> David Teie #33,
>
> Promoted as the first album released by a major label for a non-human
> audience, Music For Cats is supposedly the product of scientific
> research to appeal to feline listeners and was originally produced by a
> successful crowdfunding campaign. However, at the much-promoted London
> launch party, many of the cats in attendance seemed to be more
> interested in the sandwiches than the music. Mind you, that probably
> happens at the launches of a lot of albums aimed at humans too.

Grin.

>> Jojo #46,
>
> On Friday, as this chart was being announced, I had the unusual
> experience of seeing her second album in a charity shop.

I have expected you to say 'seeing her in a charity shop'...

It's usually
> the first one.
> After many years of record company disputes and other problems, she's
> finally returned with a third and despite no longer having the novelty
> value of being a child she's still found a market for it.

A very small market - less than 2k

>> Re-entries : Oasis #4,
>
> Third in the series of 20th anniversary album reissues, although unlike
> the first two albums this has been scheduled for the anniversary of the
> recording process starting, rather than finishing. Be Here Now was of
> course released in August 1997, to a famously rapturous reception which
> was no less famously regretted by many soon afterwards. The album -
> which runs to 72 minutes with only 12 tracks, including the reprise -
> has become almost synonymous with overambition, poor timing, group think
> and the effects of excessive cocaine use.

By the band, or their fans? :p

>> Next Week
>> ---------
>> Singles
>> -------
>> Little Mix will surely remain #1
>
> Easily, they've got a video and everything.

Why wouldn't they have had a video?

>> Maroon 5
>
> Really not sure about this - does it have the momentum?

Hard to tell from just one chart week!

>> Top 40 : Vamps
>
> No way. It's not completely impossible that it might get there
> eventually, but there's no imaginable way for it to happen this week.

I can imagine a way - the Viola Beach way...

>> Albums
>> ------
>> Big battle this week between Lady Gaga, Elvis, and Michael Buble - I
>> expect the latter to prevail.
>
> I'm sure Buble will win out.

How come?

>> Top 5 : Lady Gaga, Elvis
>
> I'm even surer Elvis will outdo Gaga, although I'm not sure what order
> you'd put them in.

Reverse alphabetic?

>> NxWorries
>
> Did a cat jump on your keyboard or is there actually somebody called that?

Check the iTunes album chart.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 24, 2016, 6:39:44 AM10/24/16
On 24/10/2016 07:39, Vidcapper wrote:
> On 24/10/2016 00:35, Chris Brown wrote:
>
>>> Singles
>>> -------
>>> Little Mix take over at #1, despite only 5 days sales.
>>
>> Less than that, in fact, as the release was only on Sunday night.
>
> I couldn't tell that just from my iT chart archive though.

No particular reason you should have (depending on what time of day you
check iTunes, I suppose).

>> Nonetheless they are the first act to go straight in at 1 since Major
>> Lazer, and the first female act to take lead credit on a Number One
>> single since Adele late last year. That Adele release was also the last
>> time we had consecutive Number One singles by British acts.
>
> Didn't notice that.

I had been wondering, so I looked it up.

>>> New Entries/New Peaks
>>> ---------------------
>>> Top 5 : Hailee Steinfeld #5
>>
>> Zedd is rather sporadically successful.
>
> It's always confusing when you do that.

I suppose this single has only been in the charts for two months.

>>> Galantis #37,
>>
>> I haven't heard exactly how annoying this is.
>
> A slightly ambiguous statement. :)

Yeah, because I haven't heard it there's a tiny possibility it might not
be as irritating as all their other singles.

>>> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Vamps #42,
>>
>> Jumping on the tropical house bandwagon
>
> What's 'tropical house'?

I don't always know how to tell different subgenres of dance music
apart. But this single credits Matoma, an act associated with the style.

>>> John Gibbons #59,
>>
>> This is going to take ages to get into the high end of the chart.
>
> If ever?

I think the consistency with which it climbs and the fact that it's
obviously not a fanbase seller, strongly suggests that it will get
there. It's the sort of thing that used to get held back for 10 weeks
end go straight in at 3.

>>> Craig david #64,
>>
>> This also seems less frontloaded than he has been recently.
>
> You make him sound like Pamela Anderson. :D

Well, he is also famous for his chest.
As far as I know, nobody has ever accused him of poisoning Julian
Assange though.

>>> Albums
>>> ------
>>> New Entries/New Peaks
>>> ---------------------
>>> Kings Of Leon take the #1 spot
>>
> it was
>> inevitable that they'd get to the top here.
>
> And they would have still done so if they'd released at any time in the
> last 23 weeks...

...Assuming of course that they'd sold the same amount.

>>> Top 5 : Phil Collins #2,
>>
>> Continuing and presumably concluding his "Take A Look At Me Now"
>> re-issue programme, the baldly-titled The Singles coincides with the
>> publication of his autobiography and the announcement of his return to
>> live performance next year. It's available as a 3CD set - which as far
>> as I can tell does cover all his UK/US singles from 1981-2010 in
>> chronological order
>
> How many did he even release in the latter part of that period?

Depends when you think "the latter part" is. If you say that it's the
second half, then there are 17 tracks from 1996 onward, ie the entire
third disc and the last two tracks of the second.

>>> Top 10 : Rebecca Ferguson #7,
>>
>> Her fourth album and a return to original material after the perhaps
>> ill-advised Billie Holiday covers. Superwoman is apparently inspired by
>> her troubled personal life over the last couple of years.
>
> Is there any pop singer who *doesn't* have that? :p

Lots of people who aren't pop singers have too, it's just that we don't
hear about it.

>>> Katie Melua #9
>>
>> Her first album since parting company with Mike Batt
>
> Again?

Properly. I know there was a time before when he was less involved in
the actual records, then he started writing more of the songs again. But
she's now actually left his record company as well.

>>> Jojo #46,
>>
>> On Friday, as this chart was being announced, I had the unusual
>> experience of seeing her second album in a charity shop.
>
> I have expected you to say 'seeing her in a charity shop'...

I wouldn't be entirely confident of recognising her.

>> After many years of record company disputes and other problems, she's
>> finally returned with a third and despite no longer having the novelty
>> value of being a child she's still found a market for it.
>
> A very small market - less than 2k

Still much more than I'd expected though.

>>> Re-entries : Oasis #4,
>>
>> Third in the series of 20th anniversary album reissues, although unlike
>> the first two albums this has been scheduled for the anniversary of the
>> recording process starting, rather than finishing. Be Here Now was of
>> course released in August 1997, to a famously rapturous reception which
>> was no less famously regretted by many soon afterwards. The album -
>> which runs to 72 minutes with only 12 tracks, including the reprise -
>> has become almost synonymous with overambition, poor timing, group think
>> and the effects of excessive cocaine use.
>
> By the band, or their fans? :p

The band and especially the record company. AIUI the stuff is pretty
expensive.

>>> Next Week
>>> ---------
>>> Singles
>>> -------
>>> Little Mix will surely remain #1
>>
>> Easily, they've got a video and everything.
>
> Why wouldn't they have had a video?

They didn't have one last week.

>>> Maroon 5
>>
>> Really not sure about this - does it have the momentum?
>
> Hard to tell from just one chart week!

Well, you can look at its progress during the week. They fell between
the Monday mids and Friday.

>>> Top 40 : Vamps
>>
>> No way. It's not completely impossible that it might get there
>> eventually, but there's no imaginable way for it to happen this week.
>
> I can imagine a way - the Viola Beach way...

I don't think the Vamps are on tour though.

>>> Albums
>>> ------
>>> Big battle this week between Lady Gaga, Elvis, and Michael Buble - I
>>> expect the latter to prevail.
>>
>> I'm sure Buble will win out.
>
> How come?

Because he has new material to offer, and is still alive to do
promotion, and even has a deluxe version to stimulate early sales.
But as I said, Elvis will give him more of a run for his money than Gaga
will.

>>> Top 5 : Lady Gaga, Elvis
>>
>> I'm even surer Elvis will outdo Gaga, although I'm not sure what order
>> you'd put them in.
>
> Reverse alphabetic?

That works. Or even forwards alphabetic if you've put Elvis under "P".

>>> NxWorries
>>
>> Did a cat jump on your keyboard or is there actually somebody called
>> that?
>
> Check the iTunes album chart.

But if I did that it would ruin my hilarious reference to the Music For
Cats album.

Anyway, I have now and he/she/they/it is at 104. But I did see the
higher position in the thread on Buzzjack. Looks like it might all have
been pre-orders then, though T75 still looks possible.

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 24, 2016, 9:59:18 AM10/24/16
On 24/10/2016 11:39, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Zedd is rather sporadically successful.
>>
>> It's always confusing when you do that.
>
> I suppose this single has only been in the charts for two months.

You were supposed to ask what it was I think you were doing.

>>> Jumping on the tropical house bandwagon
>>
>> What's 'tropical house'?
>
> I don't always know how to tell different subgenres of dance music
> apart. But this single credits Matoma, an act associated with the style.

To me sub-genres are meaningless anyway.

>>> This also seems less frontloaded than he has been recently.
>>
>> You make him sound like Pamela Anderson. :D
>
> Well, he is also famous for his chest.
> As far as I know, nobody has ever accused him of poisoning Julian
> Assange though.

Huh??

>> it was
>>> inevitable that they'd get to the top here.
>>
>> And they would have still done so if they'd released at any time in the
>> last 23 weeks...
>
> ....Assuming of course that they'd sold the same amount.

>>> Continuing and presumably concluding his "Take A Look At Me Now"
>>> re-issue programme, the baldly-titled The Singles coincides with the
>>> publication of his autobiography and the announcement of his return to
>>> live performance next year. It's available as a 3CD set - which as far
>>> as I can tell does cover all his UK/US singles from 1981-2010 in
>>> chronological order
>>
>> How many did he even release in the latter part of that period?
> Depends when you think "the latter part" is.

I was thinking of the Noughties. I don't remember any after 2003.

>>> On Friday, as this chart was being announced, I had the unusual
>>> experience of seeing her second album in a charity shop.
>>
>> I have expected you to say 'seeing her in a charity shop'...
>
> I wouldn't be entirely confident of recognising her.

Good point.

>>> I'm sure Buble will win out.
>>
>> How come?
>
> Because he has new material to offer, and is still alive to do
> promotion, and even has a deluxe version to stimulate early sales.

So has Gaga.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 24, 2016, 5:02:19 PM10/24/16
On 24/10/2016 14:59, Vidcapper wrote:

>>> It's always confusing when you do that.
>>
>> I suppose this single has only been in the charts for two months.
>
> You were supposed to ask what it was I think you were doing.

Perhaps so, but I already knew.

>>> What's 'tropical house'?
>>
>> I don't always know how to tell different subgenres of dance music
>> apart. But this single credits Matoma, an act associated with the style.
>
> To me sub-genres are meaningless anyway.

Taking the sub-genres out of it, though, the Vamps have not
traditionally been associated with dance music of any kind.

>>> You make him sound like Pamela Anderson. :D
>>
>> Well, he is also famous for his chest.
>> As far as I know, nobody has ever accused him of poisoning Julian
>> Assange though.
>
> Huh??

Ms Anderson visited him in the embassy shortly before he briefly went
incommunicado. Some of his nuttier fans assumed he'd been bumped off,
and the very nuttiest thought she'd done it with a Pret A Manger sandwich.

>>> it was
>>>
>>> And they would have still done so if they'd released at any time in the
>>> last 23 weeks...
>>
>> ....Assuming of course that they'd sold the same amount.

>>> How many did he even release in the latter part of that period?
>> Depends when you think "the latter part" is.
>
> I was thinking of the Noughties. I don't remember any after 2003.

No hits after that (except re-entries) but he did some songs for Disney
movies and a couple of singles from the Motown covers album, then he
retired. He can legitimately claim to have had hits since his last
compilation, at least.

>>> I have expected you to say 'seeing her in a charity shop'...
>>
>> I wouldn't be entirely confident of recognising her.
>
> Good point.

Just saw a banner ad for Amazon saying they were selling that second
album for £20! I could have made a profit of £19:50 there.

>>> How come?
>>
>> Because he has new material to offer, and is still alive to do
>> promotion, and even has a deluxe version to stimulate early sales.
>
> So has Gaga.

Yeah, but Elvis hasn't (yet)

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 25, 2016, 2:15:55 AM10/25/16
On 24/10/2016 22:02, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Well, he is also famous for his chest.
>>> As far as I know, nobody has ever accused him of poisoning Julian
>>> Assange though.
>>
>> Huh??
>
> Ms Anderson visited him in the embassy shortly before he briefly went
> incommunicado. Some of his nuttier fans assumed he'd been bumped off,
> and the very nuttiest thought she'd done it with a Pret A Manger sandwich.

Bizarre.

>>> I wouldn't be entirely confident of recognising her.
>>
>> Good point.
>
> Just saw a banner ad for Amazon saying they were selling that second
> album for £20! I could have made a profit of £19:50 there.

Well you could have bought it for 50p, but good luck getting anyone to
buy it off you for £20!

>>> Because he has new material to offer, and is still alive to do
>>> promotion, and even has a deluxe version to stimulate early sales.
>>
>> So has Gaga.
>
> Yeah, but Elvis hasn't (yet)

Possibly because it's difficult to do promo when you are dead...

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 25, 2016, 3:55:06 AM10/25/16
On 25/10/2016 07:15, Vidcapper wrote:

>>> Huh??
>>
>> Ms Anderson visited him in the embassy shortly before he briefly went
>> incommunicado. Some of his nuttier fans assumed he'd been bumped off,
>> and the very nuttiest thought she'd done it with a Pret A Manger
>> sandwich.
>
> Bizarre.

Not every day you get to tell a story where Pamela Anderson walking into
the Ecuadorian Embassy is the least weird part.

>>> Good point.
>>
>> Just saw a banner ad for Amazon saying they were selling that second
>> album for £20! I could have made a profit of £19:50 there.
>
> Well you could have bought it for 50p, but good luck getting anyone to
> buy it off you for £20!

Fair point. I looked at the listing and secondhand copies sell from 13p.

>>> So has Gaga.
>>
>> Yeah, but Elvis hasn't (yet)
>
> Possibly because it's difficult to do promo when you are dead...

How does being dead stop you having a deluxe version?

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 25, 2016, 6:26:48 AM10/25/16
On 25/10/2016 08:55, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Yeah, but Elvis hasn't (yet)
>>
>> Possibly because it's difficult to do promo when you are dead...
>
> How does being dead stop you having a deluxe version?

Sorry, I though promo was the issue, not deluxe editions. :)

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 25, 2016, 1:30:49 PM10/25/16
Buble theoretically has has both those advantages over Elvis, although
in practice Priscilla Presley can do some promotion for this, as she did
for the equivalent album last year.
Gaga is of course alive, but she has cancelled her planned UK promotion.

Chris