Chart Commentary 29/6/17

Vidcapper

Jun 27, 2017, 2:20:55 AM6/27/17
Singles
-------
Artists For Grenfall take over at #1.

New Entries/New Peaks
---------------------
Top 5 : DJ Khaled #3
Top 10 : Little Mix #10
Top 20 : Rita Ora #11, Camilla Cabello #20
Top 30 : Calvin Harris #21, Sigala & EE #23
Top 40 : Major Lazer #31, Imagine Dragons #36

Re-entries T40 : Selena G #33

New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Jax Jones #46, Martin
Garrax #48, Olly Murs & LJ #49, Post Malone #51, Neiked #55, George Ezra #69

Re-entries T75 : Drake #75

Albums
------
New Entries/New Peaks
---------------------
Royal Blood take over at #1.

Top 5 : Nickelback #3, Lorde #5
Top 10 : Fleet Foxes #9
Top 20 : Ride #11, Alison Moyet #12

New entries & new peaks outside the top 20 : Hason Ibbell #26, David
Bowie #27, Goldie #43, beth Ditto #47, Steve Earle #49, Nathan Carter
#51, Young Thug #71

Re-entries : David Bowie #29, #68, Jess Glynne #74, MJ #75

Next Week Predictions
---------
Too late again...
--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Jul 2, 2017, 6:54:43 PM7/2/17
On 27/06/2017 07:20, Vidcapper wrote:
> Singles
> -------
> Artists For Grenfall take over at #1.

And in only 48 hours' sales, despite the continued popularity of Despacito.
Not a record I was much impressed by, with only Stormzy's intro showing
any real thought put into it, but it's undoubtedly for a good cause and
more likely to be effective than most charity singles. AFAIK it's also
the first UK Number One single to feature Roger Daltrey.

> New Entries/New Peaks
> ---------------------
> Top 5 : DJ Khaled #3

DJ Khaled and Rihanna, which probably isn't an insignificant detail in
this instance. It seems unlikely that it's Khaled's ability to shout "we
make the best music" over the intro is the main selling point.

> Top 10 : Little Mix #10

3rd Top 10 hit off the album, which isn't bad going these days.

> Top 20 : Rita Ora #11,

You can tell Ed Sheeran wrote this because it mentions mouth-kissing.

> Camilla Cabello #20

Features a credited excerpt from 'Genie In A Bottle', although they
probably could have got away with it.

> Top 30 : Calvin Harris #21,

Features his previous collaborator Pharrell Williams and new friend Katy
Perry. Already better than his last single did.

> Sigala & EE #23

Only a moderate climb but still decent progress.

> Top 40 : Major Lazer #31,

Good week for Camilla Cabello.

>Imagine Dragons #36

Good news - I finally heard this so I can make an informed comment.
Bad news - it's crap.

> Re-entries T40 : Selena G #33

Didn't really expect this after it dropped in its second week.

> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Jax Jones #46,

A song so trendy the cover is a picture of a Sriracha sauce bottle.

> Martin Garrax #48,

Perhaps Troye Sivan is holding this back.

> Olly Murs & LJ #49,

It is unpredictable how badly this is doing.

>Post Malone #51,

Continuing its odd run.

>Neiked #55,

I didn't even know there was another Neiked song. But there is and if
only by default it's brought their big hit back to the bottom end of the
Top 100.

> George Ezra

A decent comeback track but doesn't it seem like he's been away a very
long time?

> Re-entries T75 : Drake #75

Tiny 2-place climb.
I think his new track was released on Thursday night so too late to have
a chance in this chart.

> Albums
> ------
> New Entries/New Peaks
> ---------------------
> Royal Blood take over at #1.

Inevitable success for the much-hyped second album after the success of
the first one, despite their inability to sell singles.
Limited edition formats include clear and white vinyl (despite the title
How Did We Get So Dark) and - unusually for a contemporary act - a cassette.

> Top 5 : Nickelback #3,

Their highest position since their 2005 album All The Right Reasons
peaked at 2 in 2008.
It's not immediately obvious what might have caused the reversal in
fortune, unless their big hits are so long ago now that people have
forgotten how bad they were.

> Lorde #5

Another long-awaited second album, although it does see at this rate
that some of the excitement around her comeback single has already
dissipated. Still, two Top 10 albums before her 21st birthday isn't bad
going.
Melodrama was co-written with Jack Atonoff of Bleachers and Fun. fame.
If that counts as fame.

> Top 10 : Fleet Foxes #9

Their third album comes six years after their second album almost topped
the chart, since which time their then-drummer Josh Tilman has enjoyed a
bit of solo success as Father John Misty.
The remaining members recorded this album in six different studios which
may account for the disjointed nature of the finished product.

> Top 20 : Ride #11,

Their comeback album equals the chart position of their debut, which was
famously the first such success for the Creation label, though the band
were later overshadowed by Primal Scream and Oasis. Still, they were
briefly a big deal and possibly the biggest act to emerge from the
shoegazing scene in the early 90s. But success brought tensions between
singers/songwriters/guitarists Andy Bell and Mark Gardner, leading to
the infamous incident where their third album had all Bell's songs on
one side and all Gardner's on the other; by the time their fourth album
was released for one week only in 1996, the band had already split.
Bell went on to further success as the main songwriter in Hurricane #1
and later as a member of Oasis and Beady Eye.
Like many acts they eventually re-united, first to re-release old
material, then to tour and finally to record new material. With this
sound more fashionable than it has been for at least 25 years if not
ever, Weather Diaries has been warmly received and scores a respectable
entry, although only slightly better than Slowdive did a few weeks ago.

>Alison Moyet #12

Another act who's been around a long time but she's never really been
away. It's only four years since her last album, during which time she's
combined music with studying sculpture. Like her last album, it's mostly
electronic, and she's warned people not to expect her to sing any jazz
songs on the ensuing tour.
It is of course another great piece of work from one of British music's
greatest talents but not her most obviously commercial effort and it
seems to have paid the price in chart positions.

> New entries & new peaks outside the top 20 : Hason Ibbell #26,

Third "solo" album (it also credits his band The 400 Sound) from the
country singer/songwriter who despite calling this album The Nashville
sound is closer to the so-called Americana genre than mainstream country.

> David Bowie #27,

Not really a new entry, as it charted when released in (obviously not
very) limited quantities on vinyl for Record Store Day.
Now Cracked Actor (the live album, rather than the song) makes it to a
double CD with the same tracks as the 3LP version but additional
packaging. And you don't have to turn it over as much either. It also
makes its debut on download and streaming.

>Goldie #43,

Aside from soundtracks and collaborations, only his third album and his
first this century, though he's kept up his profile from DJ work and
regular television appearances, becoming an odd sort of national
treasure. The Journeyman is an epic 16-track double CD or triple LP, and
if that's not enough there's a deluxe version with an extra track and 11
instrumental mixes. Unusually for a DnB act he's also covered a Pat
Metheny Group song in French.

> beth Ditto #47,

Solo debut from the most famous member of the Gossip, though she
released an EP in January 2011. It's probably for the best that she
didn't rush to release an album at the peak of her celebrity.

>Steve Earle #49,

Seemingly overtaken by Jason Isbell as the British broadsheet reader's
country rocker of choice, despite the usual ecstatic reviews.
So You Wannabe An Outlaw {sic} is his sixteenth album and seen as
something of a return to his roots.
A deluxe version adds four more songs and a DVD.

>Nathan Carter #51,

A Number One album in his native Ireland, but he seems only to appeal to
the diaspora here.

>Young Thug #71

Much-delayed debut album by rapper Jeffery Williams, which features Snop
Dogg and Future. Oddly no Quavo though.

> Re-entries : David Bowie #29,

And to match the album that's re-entered from a CD release, here's one
that's re-entered from a vinyl release. Ziggy Stardust is already one of
the most re-issued albums ever and this latest permutation is on gold
vinyl. Hunky Dory was due out in the same form this week but ended up
coming out early and charting a few weeks ago.

> #68,

After the other re-entries it would seem logical for this to have been
re-issued on cassette or something but it hasn't. It has climbed the
streaming chart though.

Despite this, he misses out on his usual position at the top of the
vinyl singles chart thanks to the surprise Smiths release.

>Jess Glynne #74,

Saw a copy of this on vinyl in HMV at Uxbridge. I didn't buy it but I'd
forgotten it was available in that format.

>MJ #75

Saw a copy of this on CD in a Sainsburys for £3. I didn't buy that either.

> Next Week Predictions
> ---------
> Too late again...

Is this intentional?

Chris

Vidcapper

Jul 3, 2017, 2:14:34 AM7/3/17
On 02/07/2017 23:56, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 27/06/2017 07:20, Vidcapper wrote:
>> Singles
>> -------
>> Artists For Grenfall take over at #1.
>
> And in only 48 hours' sales, despite the continued popularity of Despacito.
> Not a record I was much impressed by, with only Stormzy's intro showing
> any real thought put into it, but it's undoubtedly for a good cause and
> more likely to be effective than most charity singles.

AFAIK it's also
> the first UK Number One single to feature Roger Daltrey.

Really? :o

>> New Entries/New Peaks
>> ---------------------
>> Top 5 : DJ Khaled #3
>
> DJ Khaled and Rihanna, which probably isn't an insignificant detail in
> this instance.

I didn't even check the credits.

>> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Jax Jones #46,
>
> A song so trendy the cover is a picture of a Sriracha sauce bottle.

Never heard of it.

>> Re-entries T75 : Drake #75
>
> Tiny 2-place climb.
> I think his new track was released on Thursday night so too late to have
> a chance in this chart.

What is it called?

>> Albums
>> ------
>> New Entries/New Peaks
>> ---------------------
>> Royal Blood take over at #1.
>
> Inevitable success for the much-hyped second album after the success of
> the first one, despite their inability to sell singles.
> Limited edition formats include clear and white vinyl (despite the title
> How Did We Get So Dark)

Presumably not a comment about unlimited immigration! :p

>> Top 10 : Fleet Foxes #9
>
> Their third album comes six years after their second album almost topped
> the chart, since which time their then-drummer Josh Tilman has enjoyed a
> bit of solo success as Father John Misty.

Oh, that's who he is?

>> David Bowie #27,
>
> Not really a new entry, as it charted when released in (obviously not
> very) limited quantities on vinyl for Record Store Day.

Didn't notice.

>> Jess Glynne #74,
>
> Saw a copy of this on vinyl in HMV at Uxbridge. I didn't buy it but I'd
> forgotten it was available in that format.

Which indicates that you knew that fact beforehand?

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Jul 3, 2017, 9:22:12 AM7/3/17
On 03/07/2017 07:14, Vidcapper wrote:
> On 02/07/2017 23:56, Chris Brown wrote:
>> On 27/06/2017 07:20, Vidcapper wrote:
>>> Singles
>>> -------
>>> Artists For Grenfall take over at #1.
>>
>> And in only 48 hours' sales, despite the continued popularity of
>> Despacito.
>> Not a record I was much impressed by, with only Stormzy's intro showing
>> any real thought put into it, but it's undoubtedly for a good cause and
>> more likely to be effective than most charity singles.
>
> AFAIK it's also
>> the first UK Number One single to feature Roger Daltrey.
>
> Really? :o

The Who famously never had one, and I don't know of any other charity
tracks he's guested on. I'm not sure about Pete Townshend.

>>> New Entries/New Peaks
>>> ---------------------
>>> Top 5 : DJ Khaled #3
>>
>> DJ Khaled and Rihanna, which probably isn't an insignificant detail in
>> this instance.
>
> I didn't even check the credits.

You just guessed DJ Khaled would have a hit then? Well done.

>>> New Entries & new peaks outside the top 40 : Jax Jones #46,
>>
>> A song so trendy the cover is a picture of a Sriracha sauce bottle.
>
> Never heard of it.

I think that makes you less trendy than this song, or something.
It's a Thai spicy sauce which has been around for decades but seems to
have become fashionable in the last couple of years.

>>> Re-entries T75 : Drake #75
>>
>> Tiny 2-place climb.
>> I think his new track was released on Thursday night so too late to have
>> a chance in this chart.
>
> What is it called?

Can't remember so I'm just going to assume it's 'Mumbling About How I've
Got Lots Of Money'

Anyway, that was last week's commentary so it's in the charts now.

>>> Albums
>>> ------
>>> New Entries/New Peaks
>>> ---------------------
>>> Royal Blood take over at #1.
>>
>> Inevitable success for the much-hyped second album after the success of
>> the first one, despite their inability to sell singles.
>> Limited edition formats include clear and white vinyl (despite the title
>> How Did We Get So Dark)
>
> Presumably not a comment about unlimited immigration! :p

I presume not, but I don't know a lot about their politics.

>>> Top 10 : Fleet Foxes #9
>>
>> Their third album comes six years after their second album almost topped
>> the chart, since which time their then-drummer Josh Tilman has enjoyed a
>> bit of solo success as Father John Misty.
>
> Oh, that's who he is?

Technically, yes. I don't know how big a selling point it was though.

>>> David Bowie #27,
>>
>> Not really a new entry, as it charted when released in (obviously not
>> very) limited quantities on vinyl for Record Store Day.
>
> Didn't notice.

It actually charted higher on vinyl, presumably because people thought
they'd have a limited opportunity to buy it.

>>> Jess Glynne #74,
>>
>> Saw a copy of this on vinyl in HMV at Uxbridge. I didn't buy it but I'd
>> forgotten it was available in that format.
>
> Which indicates that you knew that fact beforehand?

Yeah, when I did see it, it rang a bell.

Chris