Re: Cliff playing at Cillas funeral

Phi

Aug 20, 2015, 7:30:30 AM8/20/15

"Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
news:mr45r4$h5m$1...@dont-email.me...
>I didn't realise he was back in the country ...

Thought she would have had her funeral in Spain as she liked it there so
much.

Ar

Aug 20, 2015, 7:32:54 AM8/20/15
On 20/08/15 10:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...

Doing whatever makes sure he doesn't pay tax.

Nick

Aug 20, 2015, 8:06:32 AM8/20/15
On 20/08/2015 10:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...

Maybe the police will use the event to nab him for more questioning,
discretely of course.

unrea...@suremail.info

Aug 20, 2015, 10:11:59 AM8/20/15
They'll have to be quick - he's due to fly back after the funeral to his house
in Albufeira, Portugal. He is to be honoured with the keys to the town,
presented by the mayor, at a concert tonight.

Tiny Waterhouse

Aug 20, 2015, 10:14:46 AM8/20/15
Being them it will be police, dogs, BBC cameras and they will tazer the whole group with him as most probably don't know what he looks like.

Ar

Aug 20, 2015, 3:35:28 PM8/20/15
On 20/08/15 15:11, unrea...@suremail.info wrote:
>> Maybe the police will use the event to nab him for more questioning,
>> discretely of course.
>
> They'll have to be quick - he's due to fly back after the funeral to his house
> in Albufeira, Portugal. He is to be honoured with the keys to the town,
> presented by the mayor, at a concert tonight.

Honoured for what, services to getting copyright extended so Cliff gets
even richer when his early work should have gone public domain?

JNugent

Aug 20, 2015, 6:34:16 PM8/20/15
His earliest work (1958 - 1963) HAS gone PD (subject to refreshed rights
for certain recent digital re-masters).

Phi

Aug 21, 2015, 3:31:40 AM8/21/15

"Ar" <A...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:mr5a2n$cpe$2...@dont-email.me...
I still can't listen to the crap.

Phi

Aug 21, 2015, 4:01:45 AM8/21/15

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> You are Hank Marvin and I claim ...
>

> You need a Summer Holiday.
> --
>
> Martin in Zuid Holland

I always thought he was a pop wannabe, bolstered by excessive publicity and
never reached the quality of some of the others. The Shadows were not that
good, but they did have a few lively hits that I remember and like.

Christie

Aug 21, 2015, 4:49:52 AM8/21/15
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:35:26 +0100, Ar <A...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On 20/08/15 15:11, unrea...@suremail.info wrote:
>>> Maybe the police will use the event to nab him for more questioning,
>>> discretely of course.
>>
>> They'll have to be quick - he's due to fly back after the funeral to his house
>> in Albufeira, Portugal. He is to be honoured with the keys to the town,
>> presented by the mayor, at a concert tonight.
>
>Honoured for what...

The mayor says that the decision was taken because Sir Cliff is a great
ambassador of Albuferia who has done a lot for tourism in the area, especially
in the 60's and 70's.

Sir Cliff bought his first home there in 1961 and then over the years upgraded
his Albufeira flat to a beachfront villa before buying his 16 acre estate in
1993. His neighbours in the Algarve say that he's a local hero.

Neo

Aug 21, 2015, 4:53:53 AM8/21/15
On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 12:30:30 PM UTC+1, Phi wrote:
> "Jethro_uk" wrote in message
>> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>
> Thought she would have had her funeral in Spain as she liked it there so
> much.

Paul O'Grady's Funny Eulogy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5DgBtkDQ0c

John

Aug 21, 2015, 5:07:54 AM8/21/15

"Martin" wrote

> You need a Summer Holiday.

Search for "The Young Ones" (Cliff Richard's first film) and it doesn't even
make the first page on Google - which nicely sums up its and Richard's
popularity.

I always thought (as a pre-teen) it had some very nice totty in the cast -
as did "Summer Holiday", but everything else was naff.

Cliff Richard - Britain's media hyped answer to Elivis Presley - without the
music or anything else for that matter.

John.

Neo

Aug 21, 2015, 5:15:01 AM8/21/15

Christie

Aug 21, 2015, 5:19:43 AM8/21/15
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:07:52 +0100, "John" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>"Martin" wrote
>
>> You need a Summer Holiday.
>
>Search for "The Young Ones" (Cliff Richard's first film) and it doesn't even
>make the first page on Google...

But it does make the first page if you search for "The Young Ones" on Bing
(and everyday you get a nice new picture to look at on Bing).

>...which nicely sums up its and Richard's popularity.

So it depends upon which search engine you use to nicely sum up its and
Richard's popularity.

Neo

Aug 21, 2015, 5:23:11 AM8/21/15

Basil Jet

Aug 21, 2015, 6:37:52 AM8/21/15
On 2015\08\21 09:53, Neo wrote:

> Paul O'Grady's Funny Eulogy
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5DgBtkDQ0c

Great stuff!

michael adams

Aug 21, 2015, 7:33:59 AM8/21/15

"John" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Martin" wrote
>
>> You need a Summer Holiday.
>
> Search for "The Young Ones" (Cliff Richard's first film)

Excuse me but "Expresso Bongo" pre-dates "The Young Ones"
by two years and was reputed to have scenes with scantily
clad young ladies. Hence its "A" rating. At least as
reported by some of the older looking members of the
class, who managed to get in unaccompanied.

Cliff has been so long lasting because he's changed with
the times - while picking up more teenage girl fans with
each transformation, who have all stayed loyal.

michael adams

JNugent

Aug 21, 2015, 8:28:46 AM8/21/15
On 21/08/2015 10:07, John wrote:

> "Martin" wrote

>> You need a Summer Holiday.

> Search for "The Young Ones" (Cliff Richard's first film)

His third film, actually. I wonder why you were so emphatic about it
being the first (it wasn't even relevant to your "point").

> and it doesn't even
> make the first page on Google - which nicely sums up its and Richard's
> popularity.

A singularity. It's only because there are more Google searches for the
BBC TV series (which was, in any event, named after the movie).

You probably don't know that "The Young Ones" was released in the USA as
"It's Wonderful To be Young" (with an extra song on the soundtrack).

That title comes up top of its search, proving that when choosing a
movie title, it's best not to use one that will be a cult hit trendy
yoof TV series twenty-three years later.

For Summer Holiday, the movie (which doesn't share its title with
anything as popular as a hit BBC TV series) comes up top of the list on
Google (the Wikipedia page).

The "Young Ones" film actually comes up as the third "suggestion" in the
dialogue box when typing.

The 1963/64 film "Wonderful life" is relegated to the second page of
Google returns by multiple references to "It's A Wonderful Life". What a
bummer: being beaten by James Stewart's best film.

> I always thought (as a pre-teen) it had some very nice totty in the cast -
> as did "Summer Holiday", but everything else was naff.
> Cliff Richard - Britain's media hyped answer to Elivis Presley - without the
> music or anything else for that matter.

That's very kewl of you. You must be so proud of yourself.

Thumper

Aug 21, 2015, 9:35:49 AM8/21/15
On 20/08/2015 10:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...

Has the man no shame? Anything for publicity.

Ri©ardo

Aug 21, 2015, 11:00:06 AM8/21/15
Wanted or not!

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Christie

Aug 21, 2015, 11:14:49 AM8/21/15
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 16:00:08 +0100, Ri©ardo <he...@glorious-somerset.uk> wrote:

>On 8/21/2015 2:35 PM, Thumper wrote:
>> On 20/08/2015 10:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>>>
>> Has the man no shame? Anything for publicity.
>
>Wanted or not!

The guy is worth an estimated £40 million - he must have done something right.

Ophelia

Aug 21, 2015, 11:47:08 AM8/21/15

"Ri©ardo" <he...@glorious-somerset.uk> wrote in message
> On 8/21/2015 2:35 PM, Thumper wrote:
>> On 20/08/2015 10:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>>>
>> Has the man no shame? Anything for publicity.
>
> Wanted or not!

Well I liked him when I was young. He was no Elvis but he was ok :))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

GordonD

Aug 21, 2015, 12:58:52 PM8/21/15
Was he performing when you were young?

<runs>
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

Ophelia

Aug 21, 2015, 1:49:14 PM8/21/15

"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
... sticks out foot ..... oooops ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

tim.....

Aug 21, 2015, 4:20:39 PM8/21/15

"JNugent" <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
Has it?

I thought that they specifically extended it for this period (not just for
Cliff though)

tim,

tim.....

Aug 21, 2015, 4:21:33 PM8/21/15

"John" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Martin" wrote
>
>> You need a Summer Holiday.
>
> Search for "The Young Ones" (Cliff Richard's first film) and it doesn't
> even make the first page on Google - which nicely sums up its and
> Richard's popularity.

given there a TV prog of the same name, that's a pretty unfair test

tim

JNugent

Aug 21, 2015, 5:47:27 PM8/21/15
AIUI, not for work that had already fallen out of copyright.

This is why for a lot of EMI (now Parlophone) back-catalogue, the date
of the digital re-master is given such prominence.

I suspect that not much of The beatles' EMI back-catalogue has fallen
out of copyright. It might apply only to their 1962 "Love Me Do" / "P.S>
I Love You" single (and only the original red label version of LMD - the
one which features Ringo on drums - at that).

Tiny Waterhouse

Aug 22, 2015, 10:38:54 AM8/22/15
On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 12:30:30 PM UTC+1, Phi wrote:
> "Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
> >I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>
> Thought she would have had her funeral in Spain as she liked it there so
> much.

When Summer Holiday came to our cinema we went to watch the Shadows and were shocked to find a cinema full of screaming girls. Far from it being a Cliff and the Shadows film it was Cliff and a load of assorted actors while the Shadows played one number between riding cycles as Cliff passed driving a bus and later as Greek guards in their uniform. What with the screaming girls and the lack of Shadows numbers to play on our cricket bats it was very poor.
Of course Cliff in films was copying Elvis but after one more rubbish film theb film career died out thank heavens.
On the other hand Morecombe and Wise managed some horrible films too but it didn't spoil there fame which goes on.

damdu...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 22, 2015, 2:31:58 PM8/22/15
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:30:26 +0100, "Phi" <phi...@inbox.com> wrote:

>"Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
>>I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>
>Thought she would have had her funeral in Spain as she liked it there so
>much.

Scousers would have been upset at not having a local version of a
state funeral to attend while they mourn en mass. Ken Dodd better not
depart before stocks of Prozac have been replenished.

G.Harman

tim.....

Aug 22, 2015, 3:15:42 PM8/22/15

"Tiny Waterhouse" <dhsr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 12:30:30 PM UTC+1, Phi wrote:
>> "Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
>> >I didn't realise he was back in the country ...
>>
>> Thought she would have had her funeral in Spain as she liked it there so
>> much.
>
> When Summer Holiday came to our cinema we went to watch the Shadows and
> were shocked to find a cinema full of screaming girls. Far from it being a
> Cliff and the Shadows film it was Cliff and a load of assorted actors
> while the Shadows played one number between riding cycles as Cliff passed
> driving a bus and later as Greek guards in their uniform. What with the
> screaming girls and the lack of Shadows numbers to play on our cricket
> bats it was very poor.
> Of course Cliff in films was copying Elvis but after one more rubbish film
> theb film career died out thank heavens.

And Elvis' films were such a roaring success :-)

It wasn't just Cliff.

Many the Brit pop stars of the 60's made films:

The DC5, Freddy and the Dreamers(!) etc

they were universally crap

tim

GordonD

Aug 22, 2015, 3:50:14 PM8/22/15
Don't forget Cliff and the Shadows' appearance in 'Thunderbirds are
Go!' Well, technically it was Cliff Richard Junior. Now I'm prepared to
believe a civilian organisation providing free world-wide rescue
services with an operational staff of four. I'm prepared to believe
that they could launch from that island without any satellites spotting
them. And I'm prepared to believe that their machines could actually
work.

But Cliff Richard *Junior*? Now you're going too far...

Basil Jet

Aug 22, 2015, 4:23:45 PM8/22/15
On 2015\08\22 20:15, tim..... wrote:

> And Elvis' films were such a roaring success :-)
>
> It wasn't just Cliff.
>
> Many the Brit pop stars of the 60's made films:
>
> The DC5,

I thought you meant the MC5 for a minute! I would love to have seen a
Hollywood film called "Kick Out The Jams Motherfunsters"