I blame the TV ads!

jbm

Nov 29, 2016, 8:56:51 PM11/29/16
Sunday it was 3.
Monday 4.
Today 5 out of 12 houses.

Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
Eve evening.

jim

Col

Nov 30, 2016, 2:34:29 AM11/30/16
Grumpy old man alert!

--
Col

Stephen Wolstenholme

Nov 30, 2016, 4:15:11 AM11/30/16
I can't blame TV ads because I never watch any. We don't put our
decorations up until Christmas eve.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Norman Wells

Nov 30, 2016, 4:32:19 AM11/30/16
"Stephen Wolstenholme" <st...@easynn.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:56:48 +0000, jbm <n...@home.ok> wrote:
>
>>Sunday it was 3.
>>Monday 4.
>>Today 5 out of 12 houses.
>>
>>Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
>>to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
>>Eve evening.
>
> I can't blame TV ads because I never watch any. We don't put our
> decorations up until Christmas eve.

On the forty-second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...

Mike Swift

Nov 30, 2016, 5:45:51 AM11/30/16
In article <ea7do3...@mid.individual.net>, Col
<reddw...@btinternet.com> writes
>> Sunday it was 3.
>> Monday 4.
>> Today 5 out of 12 houses.
>>
>> Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
>> to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
>> Eve evening.
>>
>Grumpy old man alert!

That time of year again, I must seek out my black & white Santa hat with
Bah Humbug written on it that my daughter in law bought me.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

GordonD

Nov 30, 2016, 6:22:23 AM11/30/16
On 30/11/2016 01:56, jbm wrote:
Think I'll go on Dragon's Den with my new idea - Advent calendars with
54 windows, that you start opening on 1st November...

--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

tim...

Nov 30, 2016, 7:26:37 AM11/30/16

"jbm" <n...@home.ok> wrote in message news:o1lbil$uq6$1...@dont-email.me...
Really?

Surely you put the decs up so that they are there for when "the family"
comes to call

and in my family [1] they would turn up the week before, not after Christmas

tim

12 Aunts and Uncles we had (that's 12 of each)

Calum

Nov 30, 2016, 7:35:05 AM11/30/16
On 30/11/2016 01:56, jbm wrote:
Yup. Nowadays they often go up when the kids have been to see Santa
arriving in town, and round here that's usually last week in November
these days.

Andy Burns

Nov 30, 2016, 9:12:53 AM11/30/16
Martin wrote:

> Received our first Xmas card today.

I received a card 2 days ago, but it's for the same number at the
adjoining road, waitrose sent a tacky advent calendar advert today.

Mike Swift

Nov 30, 2016, 9:26:04 AM11/30/16
In article <0oit3ch2n1h65tuj9...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>Received our first Xmas card today.

Got our first yesterday, admittedly it was a commercial one from Bay
Hotels where we stay when we visit Scotland every spring and autumn so
we're good customers.

Mike Swift

Nov 30, 2016, 9:33:57 AM11/30/16
In article <9mgt3ctmlgc6jpgqv...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>>That time of year again, I must seek out my black & white Santa hat with
>>Bah Humbug written on it that my daughter in law bought me.
>
>LOL I'll put one on my Xmas present wish list.

Found one for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bah-Humbug-Christmas-Santa-Hat/dp/B005ZFR936

GordonD

Nov 30, 2016, 10:40:01 AM11/30/16
11 next-door neighbours
10 distant cousins
9 little brothers...

Jim S

Nov 30, 2016, 12:04:59 PM11/30/16
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:20:34 +0100, Martin wrote:
> Ours was from a very old woman, who still thinks mail travels from abroad to UK
> by sea.

Sound familiar.
--
Jim S

jbm

Nov 30, 2016, 5:53:45 PM11/30/16
Why not go the whole hog, and put in 365 windows (366 for the year
before a leap year)? Then you can start opening it on Boxing Day and
make yourself sick on top of all the turkey and mince pies.

jim

jbm

Nov 30, 2016, 5:55:20 PM11/30/16
On 30/11/2016 09:11, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:56:48 +0000, jbm <n...@home.ok> wrote:
>
>> Sunday it was 3.
>> Monday 4.
>> Today 5 out of 12 houses.
>>
>> Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
>> to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
>> Eve evening.
>>
>> jim
>
> I can't blame TV ads because I never watch any. We don't put our
> decorations up until Christmas eve.
>
> Steve

Some of them aren't too bad. The Waitrose ad is rather sweet with the
robins.

jim

GordonD

Dec 1, 2016, 4:39:06 AM12/1/16
On 30/11/2016 23:37, Martin wrote:
> Luckily Cadburys have discovered a way to reduce the amount of sugar
> in their sweets by 50%. They are way ahead of sugar with their
> chocolate reductions.

When did they start putting chocolates in advent calendars anyway? WIWAL
you just got a picture and we were 'appy with that. My favourite was
Ruud Gullit sitting on a shed...

GordonD

Dec 1, 2016, 1:08:53 PM12/1/16
On 01/12/2016 12:05, Martin wrote:
> better than sitting on the fence? :-)

Did you miss the reference?

Col

Dec 1, 2016, 3:01:52 PM12/1/16
Must admit I was in two minds as to whether Martin got the reference or
not :)

--
Col

damdu...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 1, 2016, 3:04:38 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 09:39:02 +0000, GordonD <g.d...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> Luckily Cadburys have discovered a way to reduce the amount of sugar
>> in their sweets by 50%. They are way ahead of sugar with their
>> chocolate reductions.
>>

>When did they start putting chocolates in advent calendars anyway? WIWAL
>you just got a picture and we were 'appy with that. My favourite was
>Ruud Gullit sitting on a shed...

Missus has hung one up that just has little cloth pockets,
Looked in the first one this morning and found that my treat was a
solitary Brussel Sprout, if the rest of them have one as well I
suppose that will be enough for my Christmas dinner but hopefully
there will a carrot or two for variety.

G .Harman

GordonD

Dec 2, 2016, 4:27:55 AM12/2/16
On 01/12/2016 23:16, Martin wrote:
> Looks like it. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bn0wFvEJow

GordonD

Dec 2, 2016, 12:47:53 PM12/2/16
On 02/12/2016 11:27, Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 09:27:52 +0000, GordonD <g.d...@btinternet.com>
> LOL
>
> Thanks That explains everything. Until I we got Freesat 4 years ago,
> we could receive BBC on Dutch cable, but no UK commercial channels.
> Father Ted is one of the many series we've never seen.

Not sure whether to pity you or envy you as you'll have the chance to
watch it for the first time.

Melanie Sands

Dec 4, 2016, 9:29:45 AM12/4/16
I agree totally. I have discovered instagram, and onit ppl are sharng little
videos and pix of their Christmas trees all decorated - and here in
Luzern, Switzerland you can't even buy any trees yet!

So I wrote to one celebrity "Already?!" when I saw the picture of her
Christmas tree and she reprimnded me that it was the first Sunday of Advent.

Yes, but on the first Sunday of Advent you put a green wreath on the table
with 4 candles and light the first candle.

I buy a tree not before the 20th December and keep it in my flat till
February.

If you put it up now, it'll be threadbare by Christmas.

And don't even mention those plastic monstrosities.

Melanie

Vidcapper

Dec 4, 2016, 11:46:09 AM12/4/16
On 04/12/2016 14:29, Melanie Sands wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 02:56:51 UTC+1, jbm wrote:
>> Sunday it was 3.
>> Monday 4.
>> Today 5 out of 12 houses.
>>
>> Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
>> to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
>> Eve evening.
>>
>> jim
>

> I agree totally. I have discovered instagram, and onit ppl are sharng little
> videos and pix of their Christmas trees all decorated - and here in
> Luzern, Switzerland you can't even buy any trees yet!
>
> So I wrote to one celebrity "Already?!" when I saw the picture of her
> Christmas tree and she reprimnded me that it was the first Sunday of Advent.
>
> Yes, but on the first Sunday of Advent you put a green wreath on the table
> with 4 candles and

2 Ronnies? :p

light the first candle.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

tim...

Dec 5, 2016, 7:18:24 AM12/5/16

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 06:29:44 -0800 (PST), Melanie Sands
> <Melani...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 02:56:51 UTC+1, jbm wrote:
>>> Sunday it was 3.
>>> Monday 4.
>>> Today 5 out of 12 houses.
>>>
>>> Not even out of November yet, and Xmas decorations are going up. It used
>>> to be the first weekend in December. When I was small, they went up Xmas
>>> Eve evening.
>>>
>>> jim
>>

>>I agree totally. I have discovered instagram, and onit ppl are sharng
>>little
>>videos and pix of their Christmas trees all decorated - and here in
>>Luzern, Switzerland you can't even buy any trees yet!
>>
>>So I wrote to one celebrity "Already?!" when I saw the picture of her
>>Christmas tree and she reprimnded me that it was the first Sunday of
>>Advent.
>>
>>Yes, but on the first Sunday of Advent you put a green wreath on the table
>>with 4 candles and light the first candle.
>>
>>I buy a tree not before the 20th December and keep it in my flat till
>>February.
>
> Traditionally you get rid of Xmas trees on the Feast of Three Kings.

Otherwise something really nasty happens (forgotten what it is though)

tim

Ar

Dec 7, 2016, 10:12:33 AM12/7/16
Nobody got their Festivus "tree" ready?