Wunderkindlein

Christine McMillan

Oct 27, 2011, 3:29:15 PM10/27/11
Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11. Weight unknown
yet. Spoke to Hazel at 18.57 and she sounded bright and breezy. Photo
received soon after TA. reckon this was probably no more than 3 hours in
total as her Chris went to the hospital at 3.45 (and they live less than
five minutes walk from the maternity unit at a fast walk).

If so, she was in keeping with her future mother in law and sister in
law who have had all their babies in four hours or so from start to
finish (but without all the other trauma).

have a good photo from a mobile phone.

Will be getting our first glimpse tomorrow but that's all we're doing. A
30 second look. Plenty of time to get to know him next week as I'll be
in full time day care at the flat as Chris doesn't have the luxury of
paternity leave.

Sincerely Chris

Dr Nick

Oct 27, 2011, 3:33:13 PM10/27/11
Congratulations Granny McChris.

Serena Blanchflower

Oct 27, 2011, 3:44:47 PM10/27/11
* Christine McMillan wrote, On 27/10/2011 20:29:
> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11. Weight unknown
> yet. Spoke to Hazel at 18.57 and she sounded bright and breezy.
> Photo received soon after TA. reckon this was probably no more than 3
> hours in total as her Chris went to the hospital at 3.45 (and they
> live less than five minutes walk from the maternity unit at a fast walk).

Wonderful news! Many congratulations to all concerned and especially
to the new Wundergrandma!

--
Cheers, Serena
The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising

Nick Odell

Oct 27, 2011, 3:54:36 PM10/27/11
Congratulations to all concerned! I was beginning to wonder if the
length of this delivery was going into the record books and what state
poor Hazel would have been in afterwards.

In what sense is t'other Chris self employed? Is he a sole trader or
has he set up a limited company? If the latter, he might be breakign
the law if he doesn't at least offer himself the opportunity of
paternity leave. :)

Nick

Rosalind Mitchell

Oct 27, 2011, 4:39:13 PM10/27/11
Conga Rats to baby Adam, his Mam and Dad, Grandma and Grandad McToodles!

Roskg

EllTee

Oct 27, 2011, 4:58:16 PM10/27/11
In article <giiqq.9118$na5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
Golly gosh - I was there meself today visiting MERL with G'daughter and
thinking you would soon be in thereabouts and recalling your review of
TA bit of MERL. We were doing the Pumpkin hunt - and jolly good fun it
was too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Congratulations on the new arrival. Trust all will go smoothly and they
will soon be home.
--
Btms

Christine McMillan

Oct 27, 2011, 5:16:51 PM10/27/11
On 27/10/2011 20:33, Dr Nick wrote:
> Christine McMillan<chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11. Weight unknown
>> yet. Spoke to Hazel at 18.57 and she sounded bright and breezy.
>> Photo received soon after TA. reckon this was probably no more than 3
>> hours in total as her Chris went to the hospital at 3.45 (and they
>> live less than five minutes walk from the maternity unit at a fast
>> walk).
>>
>> If so, she was in keeping with her future mother in law and sister in
>> law who have had all their babies in four hours or so from start to
>> finish (but without all the other trauma).
>>
>> have a good photo from a mobile phone.
>>
>> Will be getting our first glimpse tomorrow but that's all we're
>> doing. A 30 second look. Plenty of time to get to know him next week
>> as I'll be in full time day care at the flat as Chris doesn't have the
>> luxury of paternity leave.
>
> Congratulations Granny McChris.

Haven't run it past Hazel yet but the obvious word is 'Grandmum' since
Hazel calls us mum and dad anyway and my mum is 'Granny' - that way I
can avoid the ugly Great word. its a descriptive word, not a nice name.

Mike's mum will probably want to be 'GG' (great grandma) which she asked
her step-grand-daughter's little boy to say but she can also be grandma
because we're unlikely to be with Kerri more than once in a blue moon.

Mike is simply Grandad.

Sincerely Chris

Christine McMillan

Oct 27, 2011, 5:21:09 PM10/27/11
He's set up a company, yes, with a partner and its only been going for a
matter of a less than six months.

Sincerely Chris

Christine McMillan

Oct 27, 2011, 5:23:12 PM10/27/11
Did you get time to go and look at the TA stuff as well? You'll have to
come back and do it before Dec. After all that stuff you wrote for your
thesis you'll find the original documents absorbing.

> Congratulations on the new arrival. Trust all will go smoothly and they
> will soon be home.

thanks

chris

the Omrud

Oct 27, 2011, 5:48:18 PM10/27/11
Excellent, it's very good to hear that everything has gone well.

--
David

Jenny M Benson

Oct 27, 2011, 7:14:08 PM10/27/11
On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.

Congratulations to all concerned!

--
Jenny M Benson

EllTee

Oct 28, 2011, 4:14:40 AM10/28/11
In article <4Zjqq.8554$eC4...@newsfe16.ams2>,
Yes we did browse TA section. We also did hunt the rat and brass
rubbing. We saw videos and did dressing up and generally had a jolly
good time. The little cafe was perfect for lunch too. We thought the
way they ensured the children looked at some of the items by way of the
pumpkin hunt and rat hunt was also very inspired. The range of farm
tools in the collection was excellent because I had no idea just how
much technology of alls sorts had been employed over the years. Still
very hard physical work though.
--
Btms

Jane Vernon

Oct 28, 2011, 7:09:13 AM10/28/11
On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.

Hurray! Congratulations to all and very glad it didn't take long in the
end :)

--
Jane
The potter in the purple socks

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm for recipes supplied by
umrats

Flop

Oct 28, 2011, 7:28:27 AM10/28/11
On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
Congratulations.

I have come to the conclusion that the only reason for having children
is as a source of grandchildren [but dont repeat that].

They really fortify the over fifties....

... and debilitate the over 60s.

If I can be of any help --- I am marvellous at sending youngsters to
sleep. Unfortunately, it also works with adults.

Anyway, enjoy - it only gets better

Flop

Robin Fairbairns

Oct 28, 2011, 7:47:31 AM10/28/11
who's going to gainsay him if he asserts he did offer himself the
opportunity?

> He's set up a company, yes, with a partner and its only been going for
> a matter of a less than six months.

might be good to brief partner on those lines, too.

(oh, and congratulations to all involved in the manufacture and delivery
of the brand-new human ;-)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header. sorry about that.

Liz3Turn

Oct 28, 2011, 8:02:33 AM10/28/11
On Oct 27, 10:16 pm, Christine McMillan <chris.mcmil...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> On 27/10/2011 20:33, Dr Nick wrote:
>

> > Christine McMillan<chris.mcmil...@ntlworld.com>  writes:
Congrats to all (especially Hazel as she had the hardest part).

I like the idea of Mike being known as Simply Grandad... :-)

My sister's eldest knew both grandmothers and referred our Mum as
Nanna Cough and bil's Mum as Nanna Puff Puff.

When sister's eldest had children they referred to Mum as Nanny Sweets
(she always had sweets in a tin and they were allowed one) My bil was
known as Grandad Bus. The kids came up with the names by themselves.

My son always called his grandparents as Nanna/Grandad but when we
were talking about them we added the appropriate surname on the end to
be clear.

LizJ

Nick Leverton

Oct 28, 2011, 8:39:03 AM10/28/11
In article <qf39ed1...@dev-rf10-linux.cl.cam.ac.uk>,
Robin Fairbairns <rf...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> On 27/10/2011 20:54, Nick Odell wrote:
>>>
>>> In what sense is t'other Chris self employed? Is he a sole trader or
>>> has he set up a limited company? If the latter, he might be breakign
>>> the law if he doesn't at least offer himself the opportunity of
>>> paternity leave. :)
>
>who's going to gainsay him if he asserts he did offer himself the
>opportunity?

He would know himself though. It's a type of dilemma not unknown to
Lord Chancellors and Lord High Everything Elses, as well.

>(oh, and congratulations to all involved in the manufacture and delivery
>of the brand-new human ;-)

Seconded !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Axlegrease

Oct 28, 2011, 9:57:46 AM10/28/11

"Christine McMillan" <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Congratulations and best wishes to all.
AG

Jane Vernon

Oct 28, 2011, 12:12:24 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 13:02, Liz3Turn wrote:
> On Oct 27, 10:16 pm, Christine McMillan<chris.mcmil...@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

>>> Congratulations Granny McChris.
>>
>> Haven't run it past Hazel yet but the obvious word is 'Grandmum' since
>> Hazel calls us mum and dad anyway and my mum is 'Granny' - that way I
>> can avoid the ugly Great word. its a descriptive word, not a nice name..
>>
>> Mike's mum will probably want to be 'GG' (great grandma) which she asked
>> her step-grand-daughter's little boy to say but she can also be grandma
>> because we're unlikely to be with Kerri more than once in a blue moon.
>>
>> Mike is simply Grandad.
> Congrats to all (especially Hazel as she had the hardest part).
>
> I like the idea of Mike being known as Simply Grandad... :-)
>
> My sister's eldest knew both grandmothers and referred our Mum as
> Nanna Cough and bil's Mum as Nanna Puff Puff.
>
> When sister's eldest had children they referred to Mum as Nanny Sweets
> (she always had sweets in a tin and they were allowed one) My bil was
> known as Grandad Bus. The kids came up with the names by themselves.
>
> My son always called his grandparents as Nanna/Grandad but when we
> were talking about them we added the appropriate surname on the end to
> be clear.
>
> LizJ

I'm going to be a step-grandparent (again, but to a different family) in
January. The baby will have four grandparents and four
step-grandparents and it's suggested we have our title followed by our
Christian name. So I will be Grandma Jane and there will be three other
grandma's, with their own Christian names added, unless any of them
choose Granny or Nanny or something else. Mike has elected to be Grampy
Mike as his own grandfather was Grampy. I've only ever come across this
in Gloucestershire. Is it regional?

Marjorie

Oct 28, 2011, 12:50:26 PM10/28/11
I've come across it in Devon too.

--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

Kate Brown

Oct 28, 2011, 1:03:54 PM10/28/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Marjorie wrote
We called my maternal grandfather Pop-pop. Still think it's the nicest
Grandpa variant I've heard.

--
Kate B

PS nospam means nospam. But umra at cockaigne dot org dot uk will get through!

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 28, 2011, 3:45:19 PM10/28/11
In message <a8u7oJI6...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, Kate Brown
<elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
>On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Marjorie wrote

[]

Er - Chris might have been said to, 9 months previously ...

IGMC. (And I'll BTN myself, but I know it's only vulgarity ...)

Congrats to all.
[]

Yes, we similarly just had Grandma and Granddad Weightman and Gilliver.
[]
>We called my maternal grandfather Pop-pop. Still think it's the nicest
>Grandpa variant I've heard.

Shouldn't it have been Mom-Pop, though? But it _is_ nice.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right
to hear me tell you how wrong you are.

Christine McMillan

Oct 28, 2011, 4:54:33 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 12:09, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
>> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.
>
> Hurray! Congratulations to all and very glad it didn't take long in the
> end :)

The reason I learnt today (it was good of them to let us savour the
moment yesterday) is that she got into difficulties eventually and it
was a C-section - but she had been offered one early on instead of
trying to go natural. Apparently she was cracking jokes all the way
through which helped her Chris (he told us today). she doesn't cope with
pain well so she's having problems getting moving again but hopefully
the staff will be enough to be able to get her to the loo without
frightening her too much and she'll be more confident tomorrow.

Sadly, the little thing was born with a viral infection and has been
whisked off to special care but he's doing so well he ought to be back
on the ward for a time tomorrow. Hazel has now seen his eyes open too so
that is re-assuring (those who know McT in person will know he only has
one fully formed eye but we've never been able to trace a cause: it'll
be a worry for a generation or two no doubt while I'm here to worry!)

So its Grandmum to be looking after Hazel and babby week days for the
next few weeks.

Sincerely Chris

Christine McMillan

Oct 28, 2011, 4:56:47 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 12:28, Flop wrote:
> On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
>> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11. Weight unknown
>> yet. Spoke to Hazel at 18.57 and she sounded bright and breezy. Photo
>> received soon after TA. reckon this was probably no more than 3 hours in
>> total as her Chris went to the hospital at 3.45 (and they live less than
>> five minutes walk from the maternity unit at a fast walk).
>>
>> If so, she was in keeping with her future mother in law and sister in
>> law who have had all their babies in four hours or so from start to
>> finish (but without all the other trauma).
>>
>> have a good photo from a mobile phone.
>>
>> Will be getting our first glimpse tomorrow but that's all we're doing. A
>> 30 second look. Plenty of time to get to know him next week as I'll be
>> in full time day care at the flat as Chris doesn't have the luxury of
>> paternity leave.
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>

> Congratulations.
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the only reason for having children
> is as a source of grandchildren [but dont repeat that].
>
> They really fortify the over fifties....
>
> ... and debilitate the over 60s.

Sincerely Chris

Christine McMillan

Oct 28, 2011, 4:59:42 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 12:47, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> Christine McMillan<chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> On 27/10/2011 20:54, Nick Odell wrote:
>>>>
>>> Congratulations to all concerned! I was beginning to wonder if the
>>> length of this delivery was going into the record books and what state
>>> poor Hazel would have been in afterwards.
>>>
>>> In what sense is t'other Chris self employed? Is he a sole trader or
>>> has he set up a limited company? If the latter, he might be breakign
>>> the law if he doesn't at least offer himself the opportunity of
>>> paternity leave. :)
>
> who's going to gainsay him if he asserts he did offer himself the
> opportunity?
>
>> He's set up a company, yes, with a partner and its only been going for
>> a matter of a less than six months.
>
> might be good to brief partner on those lines, too.

Partner won't be having any more children (very difficult/expensive and
they returned to the wofe's home country so they aren't going to have
any more)

> (oh, and congratulations to all involved in the manufacture and delivery
> of the brand-new human ;-)

chuckle. thanks. She'll like that comment.

Sincerely Chris

Christine McMillan

Oct 28, 2011, 5:03:32 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 13:02, Liz3Turn wrote:
> My son always called his grandparents as Nanna/Grandad but when we
> were talking about them we added the appropriate surname on the end to
> be clear.

No way would my step-mum allow a child the familiarity of her first
name, and most adults indeed don't seem to be able to manage Dorothea
anyway, never mind a child. and it would be a very brave person who
would take her 'nickname' of 'Charlie' (she was a Chaplin) and say
Granny Charlie. :-)

You can see why everyone followed the process of using surnames, but
these days surnames are becoming a bit too convoluted for anything.

Sincerely Chris

Plusnet

Oct 28, 2011, 5:05:18 PM10/28/11
In article <Mf2dnVGZX_DKQDfT...@brightview.co.uk>,
dontuseth...@springequinox.co.uk says...

> > I'm going to be a step-grandparent (again, but to a different family) in
> > January. The baby will have four grandparents and four step-grandparents
> > and it's suggested we have our title followed by our Christian name. So
> > I will be Grandma Jane and there will be three other grandma's, with
> > their own Christian names added, unless any of them choose Granny or
> > Nanny or something else. Mike has elected to be Grampy Mike as his own
> > grandfather was Grampy. I've only ever come across this in
> > Gloucestershire. Is it regional?
> >
> I've come across it in Devon too.

And I in SE Wales. Although a cow-orker reports that, in his case, the
vowel sound has been transmuted such that he is known as "Grumpy".

He suspects that there could have been some collusion and coaching to
this end from other relatives of the infant.

--
Sam

Christine McMillan

Oct 28, 2011, 5:11:40 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 17:12, Jane Vernon wrote:
Mike has elected to be Grampy Mike as his own
> grandfather was Grampy. I've only ever come across this in
> Gloucestershire. Is it regional?

Not at all. A friend who lives in Bucks (and her dad lived in the
village all his life where she has been living all her life) was Gramps
or Grampy. So I'm assuming that its a Bucks thing - but her mum comes
from St Ives in Cornwall so it could have been a Cornish influence? I
know no one else who calls their Grandpa, Gramps or Grampy.
(Unfortunately I've never heard Jac mention his wofe so I don't know
what she may have been called: maybe she died before Jac was born.)

Sincerely Chris

Anne Burgess

Oct 28, 2011, 6:57:56 PM10/28/11
> We called my maternal grandfather Pop-pop. Still think it's
> the nicest Grandpa variant I've heard.
> Kate B

My mother and her siblings and cousin called their maternal
grandfather 'Pappity'. I always imagined it was spelled 'Paptie'
because that's how they pronounced it.

(KF by proxy: Pappity designed and supervised the building of
the oil refinery at Gramgemouth in the 1920s. I have just
acquired a photograph of him turning the wheel to open the valve
to allow the very first crude oil to flow into the refinery from
an oil tanker, on 22 or 23 February 1924. His Sunday name was
James Bryson)

Anne B

EllTee

Oct 29, 2011, 3:14:56 AM10/29/11
In article <GMEqq.9152$na5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
Dotty Granny?
--
Btms

Christine McMillan

Oct 29, 2011, 6:57:06 AM10/29/11
On 28/10/2011 21:54, Christine McMillan wrote:
> On 28/10/2011 12:09, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
>>> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.
>>
>> Hurray! Congratulations to all and very glad it didn't take long in the
>> end :)

http://flickr.com/gp/mcmillanumra/st0231/

Here's the photo of Adam that Hazel posted on Facebook soon after his
arrival - and for comparison, 2 of Hazel taken when she was 1 to 2 weeks
old.

Sincerely Chris

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 29, 2011, 7:17:47 AM10/29/11
In message <4_Qqq.9648$7o....@newsfe02.ams2>, Christine McMillan
<chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes:
[]
>http://flickr.com/gp/mcmillanumra/st0231/
>
>Here's the photo of Adam that Hazel posted on Facebook soon after his
>arrival - and for comparison, 2 of Hazel taken when she was 1 to 2
>weeks old.
>
>Sincerely Chris

I think that's a lovely picture of _you_ and Hazel.

(I can't see a resemblance - or lack of one - between Adam and Hazel:
similar nose, but then aren't most baby noses that shape ...)

Christine McMillan

Oct 29, 2011, 7:59:29 AM10/29/11
On 29/10/2011 12:17, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <4_Qqq.9648$7o....@newsfe02.ams2>, Christine McMillan
> <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> []
>> http://flickr.com/gp/mcmillanumra/st0231/
>>
>> Here's the photo of Adam that Hazel posted on Facebook soon after his
>> arrival - and for comparison, 2 of Hazel taken when she was 1 to 2
>> weeks old.
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>
> I think that's a lovely picture of _you_ and Hazel.
>
> (I can't see a resemblance - or lack of one - between Adam and Hazel:
> similar nose, but then aren't most baby noses that shape ...)

Not the nose, the chin and the shape of the eye brows.

Sincerely Chris

badriya

Oct 29, 2011, 9:17:13 AM10/29/11
I am getting a feeling of deja vue so have probably posted before that
I called my Austrian grandfather Opapa and grandmother Omama. I never
met the other grandparents.

Grandson calls me Vicky and Capt Ex by his name too, which I hadn't
intended but I was in Spain and just visiting and missed that boat at
the right time. When he calls me anything it is so nice anyway I
don't really mind, and he does know I like the idea of being grandma
and does tack it onto Vicky or before it sometimes.

He calls the other grandparents Nono and Nana as they live in Italy
and Nono is Italian. Nana is sort of international it seems.

--
Vicky

badriya

Oct 29, 2011, 9:19:06 AM10/29/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:57:56 +0100, "Anne Burgess"
<anne.a...@btinternet.com> wrote:

Oh we refer to B's mum, when talking to the dogs, as Nana too. And
they love her and get very excited when they hear they are visiting
her. What's not to love? Whatever meal is being cooked they get a
plateful of it too. Molly heads straight in to the kitchen on arrival
there and sits by the stove.
--
Vicky

badriya

Oct 29, 2011, 9:27:39 AM10/29/11
Yes the chins are in both cases adorable!

--
Vicky

Kirsten Watson

Oct 29, 2011, 11:33:57 AM10/29/11
In article <giiqq.9118$na5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
Christine McMillan <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11. Weight unknown
>yet

Congratulations :)

Kirsten

Dumrat

Oct 29, 2011, 12:38:55 PM10/29/11
badriya wrote:

> Oh we refer to B's mum, when talking to the dogs, as Nana too. And
> they love her and get very excited when they hear they are visiting
> her. What's not to love? Whatever meal is being cooked they get a
> plateful of it too. Molly heads straight in to the kitchen on arrival
> there and sits by the stove.

Hang on, you never mentioned Molly was a Labrador Cross ;)
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat

Dumrat

Oct 29, 2011, 12:42:44 PM10/29/11
Christine McMillan wrote:
> On 28/10/2011 12:09, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> On 27/10/2011 20:29, Christine McMillan wrote:
>>> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.
>>
>> Hurray! Congratulations to all and very glad it didn't take long in the
>> end :)
>>

> The reason I learnt today (it was good of them to let us savour the
> moment yesterday) is that she got into difficulties eventually and it
> was a C-section - but she had been offered one early on instead of
> trying to go natural. Apparently she was cracking jokes all the way
> through which helped her Chris (he told us today). she doesn't cope with
> pain well so she's having problems getting moving again but hopefully
> the staff will be enough to be able to get her to the loo without
> frightening her too much and she'll be more confident tomorrow.

With our recent experience, the doc made sure dorter was on strong
painkillers on a drip for a couple of days after the op (the incision
was as large, if not larger, than that for a Caesarian, I understand).
Make sure Hazel isn't in pain and doesn't try to do too much too soon.
> Sadly, the little thing was born with a viral infection and has been
> whisked off to special care but he's doing so well he ought to be back
> on the ward for a time tomorrow. Hazel has now seen his eyes open too so
> that is re-assuring (those who know McT in person will know he only has
> one fully formed eye but we've never been able to trace a cause: it'll
> be a worry for a generation or two no doubt while I'm here to worry!)

It sounds as if he's already recovering well. Lovely jubbly, it's so
exciting :)
> So its Grandmum to be looking after Hazel and babby week days for the
> next few weeks.

Go, Chris :) I'm sure they'll both be delighted to have you around :)

Congarats from all of us Dumbrat family :)

badriya

Oct 29, 2011, 1:47:47 PM10/29/11
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:38:55 +0400, Dumrat <duu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>badriya wrote:
>
>> Oh we refer to B's mum, when talking to the dogs, as Nana too. And
>> they love her and get very excited when they hear they are visiting
>> her. What's not to love? Whatever meal is being cooked they get a
>> plateful of it too. Molly heads straight in to the kitchen on arrival
>> there and sits by the stove.
>
>Hang on, you never mentioned Molly was a Labrador Cross ;)

No, a labrador cross would be good-tempered. She's a German shepherd
cross and aka Miss Grumpybum. She thinks everyone is Up To No Good.
If anyone is doing anything unusual, opening the boot of their car,
standing outside their front door to smoke, standing near the
children's playground, she growls or barks at them to warn me. She
hates people following us. We mostly stop and let them go first so
she can keep an eye on them.

--
Vicky

Jenny M Benson

Oct 29, 2011, 4:55:05 PM10/29/11
On 29/10/2011 18:47, badriya wrote:
> No, a labrador cross would be good-tempered.

Not necessarily. By far the greatest number of dog bites inflicted on
humans in this country are from Labradors.

She's a German shepherd
> cross and aka Miss Grumpybum. She thinks everyone is Up To No Good.
> If anyone is doing anything unusual, opening the boot of their car,
> standing outside their front door to smoke, standing near the
> children's playground, she growls or barks at them to warn me. She
> hates people following us. We mostly stop and let them go first so
> she can keep an eye on them.

If she is allowed to get away with that sort of behaviour now, I fear
she may well take it further. The dog who attacked me recently was a
much loved family pet (1) who had been allowed to get away with what
started as mild bad behaviour but gradually escalated.

(1) Not a Labrador, but close - a Golden Retriever.
--
Jenny M Benson

Christine McMillan

Oct 29, 2011, 5:23:00 PM10/29/11
On 29/10/2011 17:42, Dumrat wrote:
> Christine McMillan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hurray! Congratulations to all and very glad it didn't take long in the
>>> end :)
>>>

>> The reason I learnt today (it was good of them to let us savour the
>> moment yesterday) is that she got into difficulties eventually and it
>> was a C-section - but she had been offered one early on instead of
>> trying to go natural. Apparently she was cracking jokes all the way
>> through which helped her Chris (he told us today). she doesn't cope
>> with pain well so she's having problems getting moving again but
>> hopefully the staff will be enough to be able to get her to the loo
>> without frightening her too much and she'll be more confident tomorrow.
>>
> With our recent experience, the doc made sure dorter was on strong
> painkillers on a drip for a couple of days after the op (the incision
> was as large, if not larger, than that for a Caesarian, I understand).
> Make sure Hazel isn't in pain and doesn't try to do too much too soon.

Hazel's got such a low pain thresh hold she'll soon holler. I don't
know what she's s taken today but she was well up for sending messages
to the nursing station to make sure she planned her moves about for when
the medications had been in and taken advantage of.

> It sounds as if he's already recovering well. Lovely jubbly, it's so
> exciting :)

He's out of his heated cradle this afternoon apparently. Hazel did well
this morning and got herself up and dressed (and showered) and had a
small walk - but it finished her off. Three days is the usual time for
staying in so in theory she could go home tomorrow evening but as
obviously she and Adam need to be organised still, the longer she stays
there the better for them - and for me.

> Go, Chris :) I'm sure they'll both be delighted to have you around :)

It'll be picnics every day (indoors). Not so much a galley kitchen as an
elongated broom cupboard made for people of above average height. I
wonder how many of Hazel's nearby cow-orkers at local college can manage
to walk round to her over a day's work?

Sincerely Chris

badriya

Oct 29, 2011, 6:04:23 PM10/29/11
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:55:05 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<nemo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/10/2011 18:47, badriya wrote:
>> No, a labrador cross would be good-tempered.
>
>Not necessarily. By far the greatest number of dog bites inflicted on
>humans in this country are from Labradors.

Now I recall I was bitten by a labrador when I was 4, but I believe I
had just shouted in its ear.

> She's a German shepherd
>> cross and aka Miss Grumpybum. She thinks everyone is Up To No Good.
>> If anyone is doing anything unusual, opening the boot of their car,
>> standing outside their front door to smoke, standing near the
>> children's playground, she growls or barks at them to warn me. She
>> hates people following us. We mostly stop and let them go first so
>> she can keep an eye on them.
>
>If she is allowed to get away with that sort of behaviour now, I fear
>she may well take it further. The dog who attacked me recently was a
>much loved family pet (1) who had been allowed to get away with what
>started as mild bad behaviour but gradually escalated.
>
>(1) Not a Labrador, but close - a Golden Retriever.

She is not allowed. She gets told off, made to lie down at once, so as
to look harmless and not upset whoever she barked at. Lie down is the
naughty step for our dogs. And often when she manages not to bark at
things she tends to want to bark at we reward her. We cured her of
barking at buggies and bikes that way. She sits to let bikes pass
safely.

We haven't managed to stop her barking at the postman though when he
delivers letters, or at people coming tot he door. She's very upset
at the moment and dragged B back in at once having performed double
quick this evening. She doesn't like fireworks and has been under the
table most of the evening. It's odd because there was a lot of
hunting near us in Spain and she was used to gunshots.

--
Vicky

EllTee

Oct 30, 2011, 2:07:13 PM10/30/11
On Saturday, 29 October 2011 23:04:23 UTC+1, badriya wrote:

> She is not allowed. She gets told off, made to lie down at once, so as
> to look harmless and not upset whoever she barked at. Lie down is the
> naughty step for our dogs. And often when she manages not to bark at
> things she tends to want to bark at we reward her. We cured her of
> barking at buggies and bikes that way. She sits to let bikes pass
> safely.
>
> We haven't managed to stop her barking at the postman though when he
> delivers letters, or at people coming tot he door. She's very upset
> at the moment and dragged B back in at once having performed double
> quick this evening. She doesn't like fireworks and has been under the
> table most of the evening. It's odd because there was a lot of
> hunting near us in Spain and she was used to gunshots.

But if the postman and others come right up to the door then this is an invasion of
her territory and the barking is surely allowable?

--
btms

Steve Brooks

Oct 30, 2011, 2:20:23 PM10/30/11

"Christine McMillan" wrote

> Adam Terry Rich arrived swiftly at 18.04 on 27.10.11.

Congarats to all concerned!

Now you've met the McTiddles I OP he was astonishingly adorable.

--
SB

Jenny M Benson

Oct 30, 2011, 2:56:29 PM10/30/11
The front door, like the house and garden, are the *owner's* territory
amd the postman is, in effect, an invited guest. It's not a dog's place
to say who can and cannot come into or near the house. Of course, a
"hey Mum! You probably want to know there's someone in the garden" is
quite acceptable - and should cease on comman - but an "oy! This is my
garden and you're not allowed in it" is a different matter.

--
Jenny M Benson

EllTee

Oct 30, 2011, 3:13:52 PM10/30/11
to nemo...@hotmail.co.uk
Yes I take your point - we let our Poppy have a woof but once we make reassuring noises
the barking tends to cease - but I can't every recall hearing her growl and I rather
suspect the barking is more of an excited welcome than an alert. She did used to bark
more ferociously and gruffly when foxes used to visit us in the night (in previous house).

--
btms

Christine McMillan

Oct 30, 2011, 4:38:59 PM10/30/11
I haven't met him yet. But he had his drip removed this afternoon so its
possible he will be on the ward when I arrive tomorrow. McT has met
him: he got gowned up and went to see him on Friday.

McTiddles is a good one. Wunderkindlein McTiddles.

Sincerely Chris

EllTee

Oct 30, 2011, 4:41:01 PM10/30/11
to chris.m...@ntlworld.com
Daddy Rich might have a view on that might he not?

--
btms

badriya

Oct 30, 2011, 7:23:10 PM10/30/11
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:07:13 -0700 (PDT), EllTee <lcj...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I don't make her do the equivalent of naughty step for barking at the
postman. But we do tell her it is ok. We haven't managed to get her
to collect the mail yet and bring it to us.
--
Vicky

Christine McMillan

Oct 31, 2011, 5:31:25 PM10/31/11
Daddy Rich knows next to nuffin' about umra - I think he may have been
at the last BBQ. He's rarely here for TA.

For those not on FlickR (or Facebook)

http://flickr.com/gp/mcmillanumra/Ba41J0/

Though I only put four on Facebook. Life was too short. (And I keep
losing the plot)

Sincerely Chris