Re: [OT] Street map with house numbers

Tam Nguyen

Mar 13, 2016, 11:02:58 AM3/13/16
pamela wrote ... on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:57:58 +0000 ...

> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

Zillow?

Jim Chisholm

Mar 13, 2016, 11:13:46 AM3/13/16
On 13/03/2016 14:57, pamela wrote:
> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

OpenStreetMap does in some, but not all areas eg:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.22647/0.11637

RJH

Mar 13, 2016, 11:28:09 AM3/13/16
On 13/03/2016 14:57, pamela wrote:
> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

If you have access:

http://digimap.edina.ac.uk

--
Cheers, Rob

R. Mark Clayton

Mar 13, 2016, 11:58:35 AM3/13/16
Via Michelin has them on street corners.

My Nokia phone's internal maps have most street numbers, you just position the cursor and it tells you, but annoyingly does not give the full post code.

TheChief

Mar 13, 2016, 12:02:36 PM3/13/16
pamela <inv...@nospam.com> Wrote in message:
> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

Go on street view and zoom in to house sign?

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

NY

Mar 13, 2016, 12:11:04 PM3/13/16
"TheChief" <x.phi...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> pamela <inv...@nospam.com> Wrote in message:
>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>
>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>
>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>>

> Go on street view and zoom in to house sign?

Sadly that often doesn't work. Either because people's house numbers/names
are not decipherable even when zoomed in or because Streetview's algorithm
for blurring car number plates has blurred out the number/name sign on the
house. Very annoying.

When I go to visit clients, I usually look on Streetview beforehand to try
to work out which is their house, and often fall foul of the blurring
algorithm.

---

Chris in Makati

Mar 13, 2016, 12:45:12 PM3/13/16
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:57:58 GMT, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
>I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
>How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

http://surreymaps.surreycc.gov.uk/public/viewer.asp

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 13, 2016, 1:21:39 PM3/13/16
Just tried that one. It took me one hell of a long way round.

tlvp

Mar 13, 2016, 1:31:16 PM3/13/16
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:57:58 GMT, pamela wrote:

> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

Whatever the Maps app is on my Android v. 2.3.5 Droid X2, it just shows
house numbers, once one zooms in close enough, most of the time.

HTH. YMMV. Cheers, -- tlvp

Norman Rowing

Mar 13, 2016, 2:46:05 PM3/13/16
On 13/03/2016 16:02, TheChief wrote:
> pamela <inv...@nospam.com> Wrote in message:
>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>
>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>
>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>>

> Go on street view and zoom in to house sign?
>
> Phil

Or the rubbish bins

Arno Welzel

Mar 13, 2016, 3:56:12 PM3/13/16
pamela schrieb am 2016-03-13 um 15:57:

> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?

OpenStreetMap

> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

Use OpenStreetMap - e.g. with OSMAnd.

--
Arno Welzel
http://arnowelzel.de

Whiskers

Mar 13, 2016, 4:50:17 PM3/13/16
On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street Map seem to make a
good guess most of the time.

Good printed street maps indicate the house numbers on major streets by
showing the numbers at major intersections.

Some streets aren't numbered sensibly, or at all. You just have to
know or find someone who does.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Rod Speed

Mar 13, 2016, 5:00:45 PM3/13/16

"Whiskers" <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>
>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>
>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>
> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
> do that.

Google maps does it in some places.

> It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

That has already been done, that's why it can show
you when you include the street number in the search.

> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street
> Map seem to make a good guess most of the time.

No they do not and google maps does show the street
numbers when you zoom in close enough with some streets.

> Good printed street maps indicate the house numbers on
> major streets by showing the numbers at major intersections.

And google maps does much better than that.

> Some streets aren't numbered sensibly,

Yes.

> or at all.

Not all that many in a place like Britain.

> You just have to know or find someone who does.

Or get real radical and use street view.

Tim Watts

Mar 13, 2016, 5:14:18 PM3/13/16
On 13/03/16 20:50, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>
>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>
>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>
> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

It's already been done for planning purposes amongst other things.

davi...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 5:23:32 PM3/13/16
On Sunday, 13 March 2016 20:50:17 UTC, Whiskers wrote:

> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

Ordnance Survey's large scale maps have full details of house numbers/names - but not freely available online e.g.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/products/mastermap-products.html

Frank Slootweg

Mar 13, 2016, 6:12:49 PM3/13/16
Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
[...]
> > How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>
> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

A good digital map (online or offline isn't the issue) 'even' shows the
shape of buildings. With this amount of detail, including a 'house'
number in the data is a trivial addition.

> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street Map seem to make a
> good guess most of the time.

No guessing in case of OSM. Just hard data. (Whether that data is
correct or absent is another matter.)

[...]

Davey

Mar 13, 2016, 8:44:39 PM3/13/16
It shows no house names in my village, but does include a business
that has been closed for more than 2 years.

Oh well.

--
Davey.

tlvp

Mar 13, 2016, 9:24:10 PM3/13/16
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:59:58 GMT, pamela wrote:

> Can you see what that app is called?

Yes: that app is called Maps :-) . Its version is 5.6.2; it uses 404 KB of
data, maintains an 8 KB cache, and has access to just about everything.

More than that I do not know. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Chris French

Mar 14, 2016, 4:14:16 AM3/14/16
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> Wrote in message:
It's an Android phone, it will be Google Maps, unless the user has
installed something different
Chris French

RJH

Mar 14, 2016, 4:25:36 AM3/14/16
On 13/03/2016 21:14, Tim Watts wrote:
> On 13/03/16 20:50, Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>>
>>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>>
>>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>>
>> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
>> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.
>
> It's already been done for planning purposes amongst other things.
>

>> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street Map seem to make a
>> good guess most of the time.
>>
>> Good printed street maps indicate the house numbers on major streets by
>> showing the numbers at major intersections.

Indeed, and minor streets - the OS maps available on Digimap (and
elsewhere) for example - linked above in this thread. We used to use
them for surveying reports, and widely used for conveyancing etc.

--
Cheers, Rob

Arno Welzel

Mar 14, 2016, 6:11:27 AM3/14/16
pamela schrieb am 2016-03-13 um 21:37:

> On 19:56 13 Mar 2016, Arno Welzel wrote:
>
>> pamela schrieb am 2016-03-13 um 15:57:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> OpenStreetMap
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Use OpenStreetMap - e.g. with OSMAnd.
>>

> When I downloaded that I found it doesn't show house numbers for
> the street I am interested in.

Well - OpenStreetMap is an collaborative project. Someone has to put the
house numbers there and it seems nobody did so far.

Theo

Mar 14, 2016, 6:45:23 AM3/14/16
In comp.mobile.android Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.
>
> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street Map seem to make a
> good guess most of the time.

For what it's worth, the OP posted to two uk.* groups and
comp.mobile.android, which is international. I think they implied they
wanted a UK map with house numbers, and most of the responses have assumed
that too.

A map with house numbering over many different countries is a much harder
problem - as you say Google or OSM are some of the few people to have
tackled that. I note Bing also has (for some areas at least). Both Google
and Bing don't display them on maps, though.

Theo

(mentioning this because often on Usenet an unstated part of questions is
'...in America', which can get a bit tiresome if the question is lacking in
context)

Whiskers

Mar 14, 2016, 11:37:56 AM3/14/16
On 2016-03-13, Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Whiskers" <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> On 2016-03-13, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>>>
>>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
>>> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
>>> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>>>
>>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>>
>> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
>> do that.
>
> Google maps does it in some places.

I've never seen it.

>> It would need someone to survey every street house by house.
>
> That has already been done, that's why it can show
> you when you include the street number in the search.

I don't believe it has been done. There's a chance that someone may
have done it for selected streets or bits of street for Open Street Map.

>> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street
>> Map seem to make a good guess most of the time.
>
> No they do not and google maps does show the street
> numbers when you zoom in close enough with some streets.

The streets I zoom in on close enough don't; I can right-click and get a
menu that includes 'what's here' which if chosen brings up a box
claiming to show the street number(s) and postcode - but the accuracy is
not great even on streets whose numbering is consistent and sensible.
At best, the mapper may have noted the house numbers at major
intersections to give the navigation tools something to hold on to.

>> Good printed street maps indicate the house numbers on
>> major streets by showing the numbers at major intersections.
>
> And google maps does much better than that.
>
>> Some streets aren't numbered sensibly,
>
> Yes.
>
>> or at all.
>
> Not all that many in a place like Britain.
>
>> You just have to know or find someone who does.
>
> Or get real radical and use street view.

Quicker to find a friendly native, in my experience. Even when plots or
buildings display their street numbers in real life, Google Street View
often fails to resolve them - or deliberately obscures them.

Sam Crean

Mar 14, 2016, 12:14:34 PM3/14/16

"Theo" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> In comp.mobile.android Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
>> do that. It would need someone to survey every street house by house.
>>
>> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street Map seem to make a
>> good guess most of the time.
>
> For what it's worth, the OP posted to two uk.* groups and
> comp.mobile.android, which is international. I think they implied they
> wanted a UK map with house numbers, and most of the responses have assumed
> that too.
>
> A map with house numbering over many different countries is a much harder
> problem - as you say Google or OSM are some of the few people to have
> tackled that. I note Bing also has (for some areas at least). Both
> Google
> and Bing don't display them on maps, though.

Google does in some areas.

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2016, 12:52:43 PM3/14/16
Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote
>>> pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote

>>> I don't know of any maps, on line or on paper, that do that or claim to
>>> do that.

>> Google maps does it in some places.

> I've never seen it.

You have if you follow this link. Zoom in as far as you can zoom in and you
will see the house numbers and the outline of the individual houses too.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dryandra+St,+O'Connor+ACT+2602,+Australia/@-35.2554876,149.1108581,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b1652af0a2327b7:0x5fbacbca7f366123

>>> It would need someone to survey every street house by house.

>> That has already been done, that's why it can show
>> you when you include the street number in the search.

> I don't believe it has been done.

It must have been done if you can search by house number
and get the right house. Try it with your own house.

> There's a chance that someone may have done it for
> selected streets or bits of street for Open Street Map.

The local council has obviously done it
and that's where google gets it from.

>>> Navigation tools based on Google Maps or Open Street
>>> Map seem to make a good guess most of the time.

>> No they do not and google maps does show the street
>> numbers when you zoom in close enough with some streets.

> The streets I zoom in on close enough don't;

It does on the street I posted above. In fact it does
that on almost all streets that have more than a trivial
number of houses on them in my entire country.

Maybe that is because it is easier to get that data from
the councils here than it is where you are or something.

> I can right-click and get a menu that includes 'what's here' which
> if chosen brings up a box claiming to show the street number(s)
> and postcode - but the accuracy is not great even on streets
> whose numbering is consistent and sensible.

Its pretty accurate here and I use it with the garage/yard
sales so I get to check the accuracy most Saturdays.

> At best, the mapper may have noted the house numbers at major
> intersections to give the navigation tools something to hold on to.

Its possible that the individual house number data isnt as easy
for google to get from the councils there. It clearly is here.

>>> Good printed street maps indicate the house numbers on
>>> major streets by showing the numbers at major intersections.

>> And google maps does much better than that.

>>> Some streets aren't numbered sensibly,

>> Yes.

>>> or at all.

>> Not all that many in a place like Britain.

>>> You just have to know or find someone who does.

>> Or get real radical and use street view.

> Quicker to find a friendly native, in my experience.

Much quicker to use street view when
you aren't anywhere near the place yet.

And just last saturday I was going to a garage/yard sale
which just had the street name in the ad in the newspaper.
Quite a short street, no more than 300 meters long. I show
up a full hour before the advertised starting time basically
so I get there first and get first pick of what they are selling.
There was only one native available at 6:30am, watering his
lawn, its late summer here. He didn’t have a clue where the
garage sale was. Turned out that when I came back later,
it was literally his next door neighbour.

The same day I asked another who was getting into his car
if it was his garage sale. He said that it wasn’t and it turned
out that his neighbour was the one who was having it too.
I remembered the street number that was listed for that one
and said that that was where the garage sale was. He waved
his hand and said it was down there somewhere. That street
is well over a kilometer long and has every street number
shown in the google maps and apple maps displays.

> Even when plots or buildings display their street numbers
> in real life, Google Street View often fails to resolve them

Yeah, there are quite a few that you can't really read on the
street view. But them that's just as true when you are standing
at the letterbox here too. We have letterboxes at the front
street boundary of the property here, not in the front door.

> - or deliberately obscures them.

Don’t see that at all here.

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2016, 2:11:58 PM3/14/16
pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> You have if you follow this link. Zoom in as far as you
>> can zoom in and you will see the house numbers and
>> the outline of the individual houses too.

>> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dryandra+St,+O'Connor+ACT+2602,
>> +Australia/@-35.2554876,149.1108581,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b1652a
>> f0a2327b7:0x5fbacbca7f366123

> Strewth, blue, you're right! :-)

You didn’t get the accent quite right.

> I wish we had something similar in the UK but
> I've never seen house numbering on Google Maps
> even when I zoom in and get building outlines.

> Numbering probably exists for some areas, such as central London,

I did try to find somewhere there when I saw your original
question and failed to find any on a very quick look.

> but it's not common here.

So how reliable is navigating directly to a street
address that includes the street number ?

If that mostly works, the data must be in the system,
just not displayed on the map for some reason.

Frank Slootweg

Mar 14, 2016, 2:40:04 PM3/14/16
pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
[...]
> I wish we had something similar in the UK but I've never seen
> house numbering on Google Maps even when I zoom in and get
> building outlines.

I wonder if something *changed* in Google Maps or that there's some
hidden setting somewhere, because for (part of?) our country - The
Netherlands - Google Maps *did* show house numbers till about a year
ago.

I am absolutely sure of this, because I used to lookup where exactly a
certain house number was in a close-by street. But recently, Google Maps
does not show these house numbers and I can not find a setting to make
them (re-)appear.

Note that I'm talking about the Google Maps *website*, not about the
Google Maps (Android) *app*.

[...]

Frank Slootweg

Mar 14, 2016, 2:49:32 PM3/14/16
Earlier, I wrote (amongst others):
[...]

> I am absolutely sure of this, because I used to lookup where exactly a
> certain house number was in a close-by street. But recently, Google Maps
> does not show these house numbers and I can not find a setting to make
> them (re-)appear.

FWIW, OpenStreetMap *does* show house numbers for this street:

<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/7495388#map=19/52.11096/4.29225>

As you can see, it 'even' shows the (floor) shapes of the houses, the
sheds, etc..

OSM rocks!

[...]

Whiskers

Mar 14, 2016, 3:03:56 PM3/14/16
On 2016-03-14, Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote

>>> Google maps does it in some places.
>
>> I've never seen it.
>
> You have if you follow this link. Zoom in as far as you can zoom in
> and you will see the house numbers and the outline of the individual
> houses too.
> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dryandra+St,+O'Connor+ACT+2602,+Australia/@-35.2554876,149.1108581,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b1652af0a2327b7:0x5fbacbca7f366123

Never seen anything like that in the UK.

[...]

davi...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 6:10:57 PM3/14/16
On Monday, 14 March 2016 16:52:43 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

> It does on the street I posted above. In fact it does
> that on almost all streets that have more than a trivial
> number of houses on them in my entire country.
>
> Maybe that is because it is easier to get that data from
> the councils here than it is where you are or something.

Probably down to pricing. The data all exists - for example, the Royal Mail have coordinates for each individual address they deliver to, and will happily sell that to you. Multimap's website (since taken over by Bing) did include this information for a while, so you could get a map centred on an exact postal address, but it got too expensive for them to continue doing it for free.

Arno Welzel

Mar 15, 2016, 4:05:13 AM3/15/16
pamela schrieb am 2016-03-14 um 19:00:

> On 16:52 14 Mar 2016, Rod Speed wrote:
>

>> You have if you follow this link. Zoom in as far as you can zoom
>> in and you will see the house numbers and the outline of the
>> individual houses too.
>>
>> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dryandra+St,+O'Connor+ACT+2602,
>> +Australia/@-35.2554876,149.1108581,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b1652a
>> f0a2327b7:0x5fbacbca7f366123
>
> Strewth, blue, you're right! :-)
>
> I wish we had something similar in the UK but I've never seen
> house numbering on Google Maps even when I zoom in and get
> building outlines.

The same in Germany. And even in Berlin there are no house numbers.

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2016, 1:07:56 PM3/15/16
pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote
> Arno Welzel wrote
>> pamela wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Strewth, blue, you're right! :-)
>
>>> I wish we had something similar in the UK but I've never seen
>>> house numbering on Google Maps even when I zoom in and get
>>> building outlines.

>> The same in Germany. And even in Berlin there are no house numbers.

> In Germany and Austria, Google does not show street views
> because of local concerns even though it is legally permitted.

That is not correct.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Berlin,+Germany/@52.5419488,13.5516344,3a,75y,214h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfsHji6mdeIzYB_Ebb-bZAQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfsHji6mdeIzYB_Ebb-bZAQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D214.70117%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x47a84e373f035901:0x42120465b5e3b70!6m1!1e1

http://tinyurl.com/zu2wefu

> In the same way, perhaps the missing house numbers on maps
> for some countries is due to local concerns about personal data,
> privacy, human rights, home safety, potential harrassment, etc.

The problem with that line is that you are free to search using the street
number.

Biggles

Mar 15, 2016, 8:06:31 PM3/15/16
pamela <inv...@nospam.com> Wrote in message:
> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
>
> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
>
> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

In the UK, in general, you can't because the data is proprietary
(Royal Mail & others). Open Street Map covers some of the UK but
is patchy and relies on contributions (data not financial) from
the public. Google Maps is extremely good at figuring out where
particular properties lie, but it's not accurate in many areas,
only to postcode level (the data for which is free).
It will
even give you an approximate position for a non-existent
postcode.
--

Biggles

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2016, 8:32:36 PM3/15/16
Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote
> pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote

>> Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?

>> I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if
>> I search using a house number with street name, then Google
>> maps shows where that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.

>> How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?

> In the UK, in general, you can't because the data is proprietary
> (Royal Mail & others).

Bullshit it is, and that doesn't stop google maps from
doing searches that involve the street number.

> Open Street Map covers some of the UK but is patchy and
> relies on contributions (data not financial) from the public.
> Google Maps is extremely good at figuring out where
> particular properties lie, but it's not accurate in many
> areas, only to postcode level (the data for which is free).

Nothing to stop google from getting the numbers from
their street view.

> It will even give you an approximate
> position for a non-existent postcode.

Then they must have worked the algorithm out.

Terry Casey

Mar 16, 2016, 5:26:01 PM3/16/16
In article <nc51bq$656$1...@dont-email.me>, da...@example.invalid says...

> It shows no house names in my village, but does include a business
> that has been closed for more than 2 years.
>
> Oh well.

Then it is up to you to correct it! That's what the Open bit of OpenStreetMap
means! It is open to anybody to edit so you can delete/amend the business
name and add all the house names/numbers.

The more people contribute, the better the map becomes for everybody!

I've added a missing footpath and access steps near me and corrected the
access route to a couple of local footbridges.

I use it a lot when exploring strange areas because it often contains lots of
details which are missing from other maps.

--

Terry

---

Terry Casey

Mar 16, 2016, 5:44:29 PM3/16/16
In article <slrnnee2op.r...@ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
catwh...@operamail.com says...
Via Michelin Street Maps shown house numbers at the beginning, end and
intermediate junctions.

EG:
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps?address=Manor%20Park&addressId=
31NTEwZDRvMTBjTlRFdU5UVTBORFk9Y01DNHdOVEl3TVE9PQ==

Biggles

Mar 16, 2016, 7:28:45 PM3/16/16
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
I work for an address management company in the UK, so I am in a
position to know the facts about addresses in the UK. You on the
other hand seem to be an obsessive troll who has opinions about
everything which are often total bollocks.

Rod Speed

Mar 16, 2016, 8:40:20 PM3/16/16
Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote
>>> pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote

>>> In the UK, in general, you can't because the data is proprietary
>>> (Royal Mail & others).

>> Bullshit it is, and that doesn't stop google maps from
>> doing searches that involve the street number.

>>> Open Street Map covers some of the UK but is patchy and
>>> relies on contributions (data not financial) from the public.
>>> Google Maps is extremely good at figuring out where
>>> particular properties lie, but it's not accurate in many
>>> areas, only to postcode level (the data for which is free).

>> Nothing to stop google from getting the numbers from
>> their street view.

>>> It will even give you an approximate
>>> position for a non-existent postcode.

>> Then they must have worked the algorithm out.

> I work for an address management company in the UK, so I
> am in a position to know the facts about addresses in the UK.

But you don't have a fucking clue about who owns the street number data.

Davey

Mar 16, 2016, 8:41:21 PM3/16/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:44:11 -0000
Terry Casey <k.t...@example.invalid> wrote:

> Via Michelin Street Maps shown house numbers at the beginning, end
> and intermediate junctions.
>
> EG:
> http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps?address=Manor%20Park&addressId=
> 31NTEwZDRvMTBjTlRFdU5UVTBORFk9Y01DNHdOVEl3TVE9PQ==

It does! A pity that the place I have to find tomorrow is only known by
the house name, rather than a number that nobody uses, not even the
Post Office.

"Bedford House. Just past the 30 mph sign, on the right".

--
Davey.

Davey

Mar 16, 2016, 8:50:34 PM3/16/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:25:44 -0000
Terry Casey <k.t...@example.invalid> wrote:

> Then it is up to you to correct it!

I don't use it, so I have no intention of correcting it. I did my bit
when TomTom were telling lorry drivers to make a super sharp and
impossible turn in front of my house instead of directing them to the
other end of the road. We got tired of seeing lorry radiator grills
staring into the living room window. I eventually contacted TomTom,
having had to create an account even though I didn't have a TomTom, they
redirected me to the folks who actually supply them with maps and
directions, (Terraserver) and they eventually made the change.
But what a palaver to make it happen. I will never, ever buy a Tomtom
because of their attitude. They had a Consumer Forum, where most of the
messages were of the form: "How the hell do we get TomTom to listen to
our complaints?". They eventually closed the forum down, saying that it
was not needed any more. I think it ran out of space for the unanswered
messages.

--
Davey.

Biggles

Mar 16, 2016, 9:17:43 PM3/16/16
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Thats an amazing deduction because the company I work for
licences premise level data from the two main sources of UK
address data. You would of course know which organisations I am
referring to?

Rod Speed

Mar 16, 2016, 9:24:06 PM3/16/16

"Biggles" <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote in message
Yours is a terminal stupidity when you can't manage to grasp
that what they license may well be a cost effective way to get
that data for them. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT AN OPERATION
LIKE GOOGLE MAPS THAT ALREADY PAYS FOR THE CARS TO
COLLECT ALL THAT DATA AND MUCH MORE THAN THAT FOR
THEIR STREET VIEWS HAS ANY LEGAL PROBLEM WITH INCLUDING
THAT DATA ON THEIR MAPS WITHOUT PAYING ANYONE ELSE FOR
ANYTHING DATA WISE.

Tim Jackson

Mar 16, 2016, 9:29:19 PM3/16/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:40:12 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...

> Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
> >> Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote

> >> Bullshit it is, [...]
>
> > I work for an address management company in the UK, so I
> > am in a position to know the facts about addresses in the UK.
>
> But you don't have a fucking clue about who owns the street number data.

I hate to interrupt your slanging match, but...

No-one owns the underlying facts about the street numbers. For example,
anyone is free to wander down my street with a GPS and a notebook,
recording the number of every house and its grid reference. I don't
know, but maybe that's how Open Street Map gets some of its data.

But what can be proprietary is a database of street numbers where
someone has made a substantial investment in either the obtaining,
verification or presentation of the contents.

In that case, there's likely to be a database right. That right is
infringed by anyone who extracts or re-utilises all or a substantial
part of the contents of the database.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

And that's no doubt the basis for saying that the Royal Mail's address
file is proprietary, and can't just be re-utilised by Google et al
without permission (and payment if required).

This has been a public service announcement. Now back to the slanging
match. Pass the popcorn...

--
Tim Jackson
ne...@timjackson.invalid

Rod Speed

Mar 16, 2016, 10:01:03 PM3/16/16
Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Biggles <ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I work for an address management company in the UK, so I
>>> am in a position to know the facts about addresses in the UK.

>> But you don't have a fucking clue about who owns the street number data.

> I hate to interrupt your slanging match,

Obvious lie.

> but...

> No-one owns the underlying facts about the street numbers.

That's what I said.

> For example, anyone is free to wander down my street with a GPS and
> a notebook, recording the number of every house and its grid reference.
> I don't know, but maybe that's how Open Street Map gets some of its data.

It is. And google goes much further and has their cars do that
almost everywhere, including the wilds of turkmenistan etc.

> But what can be proprietary is a database of street numbers
> where someone has made a substantial investment in either
> the obtaining, verification or presentation of the contents.

And with street maps too. That does NOT prevent an operation
like google displaying the street numbers on their maps tho.

> In that case, there's likely to be a database right. That
> right is infringed by anyone who extracts or re-utilises
> all or a substantial part of the contents of the database.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

No news and I have said just that myself previously
and you can check that using groups.google.

> And that's no doubt the basis for saying that the Royal Mail's
> address file is proprietary, and can't just be re-utilised by
> Google et al without permission (and payment if required).

But they are free to do their own data collection and in fact do just that.

> This has been a public service announcement.
> Now back to the slanging match. Pass the popcorn...

You don't qualify for popcorn.

Tim Jackson

Mar 16, 2016, 11:05:42 PM3/16/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 13:00:55 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...

> Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote
>
> > No-one owns the underlying facts about the street numbers.
>
> That's what I said.

Indeed you did. I'm agreeing with you. Why are you arguing about it?

> > But what can be proprietary is a database of street numbers
> > where someone has made a substantial investment in either
> > the obtaining, verification or presentation of the contents.
>
> And with street maps too.

Which is what Biggles said about the Royal Mail's database. Why are you
arguing with him about it?

> That does NOT prevent an operation
> like google displaying the street numbers on their maps tho.

Exactly so, as long as they collect the data themselves. Why are you
arguing about it?

> > In that case, there's likely to be a database right. That
> > right is infringed by anyone who extracts or re-utilises
> > all or a substantial part of the contents of the database.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right
>
> No news and I have said just that myself previously
> and you can check that using groups.google.

So why are you arguing with Biggles about it?

> > And that's no doubt the basis for saying that the Royal Mail's
> > address file is proprietary, and can't just be re-utilised by
> > Google et al without permission (and payment if required).
>
> But they are free to do their own data collection and in fact do just that.

Quite so. Why are you arguing about it?

Unfortunately Google's data collection is not as good as the Royal
Mail's. They have half the houses in my street in the wrong place and
the wrong order, for example. Including my own.

Obviously the reason they don't display their data in the way the OP
wants is because it's not good enough for that. The errors would stick
out like sore thumbs.

Getting good enough data would either mean investing more money in their
own data collection, or using a better database like the Royal Mail's.
But as Biggles said, the Royal Mail's database is proprietary.

However, I'm glad to see that we all agree on everything. Why are you
arguing about it?

Clive George

Mar 16, 2016, 11:39:55 PM3/16/16
On 17/03/2016 03:05, Tim Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 13:00:55 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...

> However, I'm glad to see that we all agree on everything. Why are you
> arguing about it?

Looking at the poster name would give a clue...

Rod Speed

Mar 17, 2016, 12:28:08 AM3/17/16
Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote

>>> No-one owns the underlying facts about the street numbers.

>> That's what I said.

> Indeed you did. I'm agreeing with you.
> Why are you arguing about it?

I'm not.

>>> But what can be proprietary is a database of street numbers
>>> where someone has made a substantial investment in either
>>> the obtaining, verification or presentation of the contents.

>> And with street maps too.

> Which is what Biggles said about the Royal Mail's database.

He actually made a spectacular fool of himself claiming
that the reason google maps doesn't show street numbers
in quite a bit of Britain is because of the Royal Mail database.

That doesn't in fact have anything whatever to do
with Royal Mail's database, because google does
in fact have their own much better database of
street numbers and much more than that.

> Why are you arguing with him about it?

I was pointing out that his claim about why google
doesn't show street numbers in Britain has nothing
whatever to do with Royal Mail's database.

>> That does NOT prevent an operation like google
>> displaying the street numbers on their maps tho.

> Exactly so, as long as they collect the data themselves.

And they obviously do given their street
view collects all that data and much more.

> Why are you arguing about it?

I wasn't arguing about that, you broken record fool.

>>> In that case, there's likely to be a database right. That
>>> right is infringed by anyone who extracts or re-utilises
>>> all or a substantial part of the contents of the database.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

>> No news and I have said just that myself previously
>> and you can check that using groups.google.

> So why are you arguing with Biggles about it?

I wasn't arguing about that, you broken record fool.

>>> And that's no doubt the basis for saying that the Royal Mail's
>>> address file is proprietary, and can't just be re-utilised by
>>> Google et al without permission (and payment if required).

>> But they are free to do their own data collection and in fact do just
>> that.

> Quite so. Why are you arguing about it?

I wasn't arguing about that, you broken record fool.

> Unfortunately Google's data collection is not as good as the Royal Mail's.

BULLSHIT. And that isnt the reason google doesn't
display the street numbers on their maps anyway.

> They have half the houses in my street in the wrong place
> and the wrong order, for example. Including my own.

Your problem.

> Obviously the reason they don't display their data in
> the way the OP wants is because it's not good enough
> for that. The errors would stick out like sore thumbs.

Wrong, as always.

> Getting good enough data would either mean
> investing more money in their own data collection,

They've already done that.

> or using a better database like the Royal Mail's. But
> as Biggles said, the Royal Mail's database is proprietary.

Irrelevant to why they don't display the street numbers.

> However, I'm glad to see that we all agree on everything.

We don't.

> Why are you arguing about it?

I wasn't arguing about that, you broken record fool.

Biggles

Mar 17, 2016, 4:06:59 AM3/17/16
Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> Wrote in message:
Thanks Tim, absolutely correct and well put.
No popcorn required.

Thomas Prufer

Mar 17, 2016, 4:22:11 AM3/17/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 23:28:40 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Biggles
<ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote:

>I work for an address management company in the UK, so I am in a
> position to know the facts about addresses in the UK. You on the
> other hand seem to be an obsessive troll who has opinions about
> everything which are often total bollocks.

Eh? (looks up...) Oh, you're arguing with Rod Speed. Google the name.

You're correct, btw. Should you wish to killfile him, be aware that there a lot
of sock puppets.

Thomas Prufer

Tim Jackson

Mar 17, 2016, 5:57:36 AM3/17/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:28:00 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...

> > Why are you arguing about it?
>
> I'm not

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Kerr Mudd-John

Mar 17, 2016, 9:10:30 AM3/17/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:57:37 -0000, Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid>
wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:28:00 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...
>
>> > Why are you arguing about it?
>>
>> I'm not
> Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

It's at least 10 years. KF and move on, YKIMS.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Arno Welzel

Mar 17, 2016, 11:11:13 AM3/17/16
As seen on
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/xOp3TjBK71g>:

Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet.

[...]

What is the best way to handle Rod Speed?

KillFile!

tlvp

Mar 17, 2016, 11:48:44 AM3/17/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:22:12 +0100, Thomas Prufer wrote:

> ... Rod Speed. Google the name ...

Depressing what Google wastes its HD real estate on :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Whiskers

Mar 17, 2016, 12:20:54 PM3/17/16
That's a proper address, that is.

Biggles

Mar 17, 2016, 1:59:00 PM3/17/16
Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> Wrote in message:
I'm busy playing "Spot The Looney"!

Rod Speed

Mar 17, 2016, 2:02:07 PM3/17/16
Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Why are you arguing about it?

>> I'm not

> Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Frank Slootweg

Mar 17, 2016, 4:55:56 PM3/17/16
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:22:12 +0100, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>
> > ... Rod Speed. Google the name ...
>
> Depressing what Google wastes its HD real estate on :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

No worries, mate! They just remove the redundancy and compress the
results. Takes 1KB, tops!

Kerr Mudd-John

Mar 17, 2016, 5:39:57 PM3/17/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 17:58:56 -0000, Biggles
<ne...@packaging.the-shillings.net> wrote:

> Tim Jackson <ne...@timjackson.invalid> Wrote in message:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:28:00 +1100, Rod Speed wrote...

>>> I'm not
>>
>> Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
>>
>> --
>> Tim Jackson
>> ne...@timjackson.invalid
>> (Change '.invalid' to '.plus.com' to reply direct)
>>

> I'm busy playing "Spot The Looney"!

Here's a walkthrough:

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/walkthroughs/montypythoncwotwalk.htm

Ooops, I seem to have walked out of the android group into a generic
chatroom

Davey

Mar 17, 2016, 8:31:42 PM3/17/16
On 17 Mar 2016 16:20:51 GMT
And when I got there, it had no sign saying 'Bedford House', but it did
have the number '14' outside!
I wonder what the Postman does.

--
Davey.

mac

Mar 17, 2016, 8:32:22 PM3/17/16

>> "Bedford House. Just past the 30 mph sign, on the right".
>
> That's a proper address, that is.

No way, a "Proper address" contains at least two pubs :-))

mac

Chris in Makati

Mar 18, 2016, 3:41:03 AM3/18/16
That's Rod for you. Even if you agree with him he'll find a way of
putting a new angle on something you said just so as to be able to
argue with you.

If you engage with him further he'll typically respond to everything
with a string of one-liners such as "Even more stupid than you usually
manage". After that he simply resorts to firing off a bunch of
obscenities.

If you click on the Google search here you'll see he's been doing the
same thing for almost 20 years now, so whatever condition it is he has
is obviously not getting any better.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!search/%22Rod$20Speed%22

alan...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2017, 8:49:21 AM10/15/17
Wyatt road, Highbury, London

R. Mark Clayton

Oct 16, 2017, 9:51:44 AM10/16/17
On Sunday, 13 March 2016 15:02:58 UTC, Tam Nguyen wrote:
> pamela wrote ... on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:57:58 +0000 ...
>
> > Is there an online map which shows the house numbers on a street?
> >
> > I can see that Google maps stores house numbers because if I search
> > using a house number with street name, then Google maps shows where
> > that particular house is. Same for Bing maps.
> >
> > How can I see an online map showing all house numbers in a street?
>
> Zillow?

Via maps has them at intersections.

Nokia's maps have them if you hove the position cursor over where you want to know the number.

thompson....@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2018, 3:13:35 AM1/9/18
Howth drive anniesland

julia.d...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 10:15:59 AM1/17/18

pa...@getstarteduk.com

Jan 21, 2018, 5:05:19 PM1/21/18
You are all wrong!! :)

You can view house names and numbers on this link below via the Ordnance Survey website! Life safe for a courier driver!!!

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/local

enjoy!

R. Mark Clayton

Jan 22, 2018, 6:16:30 AM1/22/18
Doesn't have Greater Manchester for a start.

Ian Jackson

Jan 22, 2018, 3:45:56 PM1/22/18
In message <7599a4ee-372a-4a20...@googlegroups.com>, R.
Mark Clayton <notya...@gmail.com> writes
That is indeed true. I wonder if it's still 'work-in-progress'?

I also note that if you leave 'Local Pages' to explore the site, there
doesn't seem to be any way back (at least that's is obvious to me).

Nevertheless, it's very useful. As well as indicating the house names
and numbers, it also gives a good indication of the shapes of the
buildings and the gardens (etc). Thanks for the link.
--
Ian

kd8...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2018, 10:50:27 PM11/5/18
Here's a quick explanation: Google doesn't know property numbers, it knows the range on some, and uses Street view to help estimate.

You can know the range of numbers for a particular Street, and space the others out according to the property boundary. It then places the non-existent numbers between the other numbers that have a higher possibility of being where they actually are.

When you update a place on Google with the address, or set the property number for one property when updating the map, it then will check and update other property numbers as needed

There's no way Google can provide a list or map of house numbers, as it would be very long and not very accurate.

krasim...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 11:09:40 PM12/18/18

bijjarba...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2019, 5:09:05 PM4/23/19

merv...@googlemail.com

Feb 1, 2020, 11:25:03 PM2/1/20
Delm8 lists all names and numbers in a postcode but you only get 1 month free,