Esther starts to crap herself

Nigel Oldfield

Oct 10, 2012, 4:42:52 AM10/10/12
0:13am, Tue 9 Oct 2012 Savile headstone removed

Savile claims like office 'gossip' in the 1970s

Last updated Wed 10 Oct 2012

ChildLine founder Esther Rantzen, who worked for the BBC during the
1970s, told ITV1's Daybreak that the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy
Savile were like office "gossip" at the time.

She added: "People sometimes say to me, ' well why didn't you pass it
on?' And the thing is, who to? You go to the police and say there is
gossip in the office about Jimmy Savile. We know that the police
actually investigated definite complaints they'd had and couldn't take
them further.

"So, basically, you heard the rumours. I never liked the man. He was
always, I thought, a bit creepy. But creepy isn't evidence. You can't go
to the police and say I think he's creepy."

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-10-09/savile-claims-like-office-gossip-in-the-1970s/

WM

Steerpike

Oct 10, 2012, 4:51:08 AM10/10/12
The fact that ranzen was married to Desmond Wilcox a senior manager at the BBC at the time she is talking about, suggests she could have very easily passed on complaints about Savile had she chosen to do so.

Norman Wells

Oct 10, 2012, 5:24:15 AM10/10/12
Steerpike wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:42:53 AM UTC+1, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
>> 0:13am, Tue 9 Oct 2012 Savile headstone removed

>> She added: "People sometimes say to me, ' well why didn't you pass it
>> on?' And the thing is, who to?

> The fact that ranzen was married to Desmond Wilcox a senior manager
> at the BBC at the time she is talking about, suggests she could have
> very easily passed on complaints about Savile had she chosen to do
> so.

Exactly. She was in the perfect position to have the matter
_investigated_, which is what was necessary, and such an investigation
would surely have brought up more evidence than she could conceivably
have wished for to go to the police.

omega

Oct 10, 2012, 5:45:54 AM10/10/12

Wilcox was also an investigative journalist in his own right.

Who better, one might say!

omega.

Steerpike

Oct 10, 2012, 5:50:02 AM10/10/12
ranzen certainly seems to have colluded in helping to keep what Sir Jim was up to quiet.............

Norman Wells

Oct 10, 2012, 6:03:20 AM10/10/12
Steerpike wrote:

> ranzen certainly seems to have colluded in helping to keep what Sir
> Jim was up to quiet.............

She certainly kept quiet when she should have spoken up.

Isn't that what she was so against when pushing Childline?

RichMck

Oct 10, 2012, 6:52:53 AM10/10/12
Isn't that what she was so against when pushing Childline?

---

I find it odd that Childline received no calls
especially if Savile was like a rabbit.

Maybe she never heard these rumours just
wanting to boost her career.

After Thats Life she has gone no where.
Yes she did have that Springer esque show.
(as i recall one of the guests was a porn star,
whos girlfriend accused him of infidelity)

Yellow

Oct 10, 2012, 6:59:06 AM10/10/12
"Norman Wells" <h...@unseen.ac.am> wrote in message
On what basis would you imagine that Desmond Wilcox was not completely aware
of the rumours about Savile?

Seems to me all this is just putting the blaim on the women for not dealing
with this - every story in the last week has been about what different women
knew and having more of a pop at them that at those doing the abusing or
those in positions of real power who could perhaps have stopped it. In fact
it is just more of the same, [some] men closing ranks, and it goes a long
way to explaining why this was not managed at the time and probably would
not be managed if it were to be happening today.

Nigel Oldfield

Oct 10, 2012, 7:11:45 AM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 11:59, Yellow wrote:

> Seems to me all this is just putting the blaim on the women for not dealing
> with this - every story in the last week has been about what different women
> knew and having more of a pop at them that at those doing the abusing or
> those in positions of real power who could perhaps have stopped it. In fact
> it is just more of the same, [some] men closing ranks, and it goes a long
> way to explaining why this was not managed at the time and probably would
> not be managed if it were to be happening today.

Ooooo, I know, but E is a very special case. The rat catcher who lets
the (alleged) rats free.

WM

richardm...@googlemail.com

Oct 10, 2012, 7:43:55 AM10/10/12
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:59:29 AM UTC+1, Yellow wrote:
> "Norman Wells" <h...@unseen.ac.am> wrote in message news:f9bds.436832$1R2.3...@fx07.am4... > Steerpike wrote: >> On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:42:53 AM UTC+1, Nigel Oldfield wrote: >>> 0:13am, Tue 9 Oct 2012 Savile headstone removed > >>> She added: "People sometimes say to me, ' well why didn't you pass it >>> on?' And the thing is, who to? > >> The fact that ranzen was married to Desmond Wilcox a senior manager >> at the BBC at the time she is talking about, suggests she could have >> very easily passed on complaints about Savile had she chosen to do >> so. > > Exactly. She was in the perfect position to have the matter > _investigated_, which is what was necessary, and such an investigation > would surely have brought up more evidence than she could conceivably have > wished for to go to the police. > On what basis would you imagine that Desmond Wilcox was not completely aware of the rumours about Savile? Seems to me all this is just putting the blaim on the women for not dealing with this - every story in the last week has been about what different women knew and having more of a pop at them that at those doing the abusing or those in positions of real power who could perhaps have stopped it. In fact it is just more of the same, [some] men closing ranks, and it goes a long way to explaining why this was not managed at the time and probably would not be managed if it were to be happening today.

By those female celebrities not doing
anying they too are adding to the conspiracy

Mel Rowing

Oct 10, 2012, 8:21:13 AM10/10/12
On Oct 10, 11:59 am, "Yellow" <n...@none.com> wrote:

> Seems to me all this is just putting the blame on the women for not dealing
> with this - every story in the last week has been about what different women
> knew and having more of a pop at them that at those doing the abusing or
> those in positions of real power who could perhaps have stopped it. In fact
> it is just more of the same, [some] men closing ranks, and it goes a long
> way to explaining why this was not managed at the time and probably would
> not be managed if it were to be happening today.

With these sort of offences it is almost invariably the case that
there are but two individuals who know precisely what went on. The
perpetrator is unlikely to report himself. It is therefore down to the
victim and that is the bit that try as I might, I can't understand why
these incidents have gone on so long and have involved so many
individuals without at least one of the victims spilling the beans.
When I say spilling the beans I mean that. Seeing the matter through
and not going to a police station, making a complaint, refusing to
sign a formal statement and hoping somehow that the police will get
the perpetrator in and get him to confess. He won't! and they won't
try that hard to get him to.

I can understand people being indignant over such matters 20 or 30
years later but not as indignant and indeed distressed as they should
have been at the time of the offence. So why this sudden hunger for
justice at a time when the perpetrator was beyond justice of any kind.

As regards those who "knew" either through walking in on an incident
or as the result of tickle tackle or rumour they are left in a
dilemma. If they feel indignant regarding what they have come across
two courses of action are open to them. They can live with the
knowledge or they can do something about it. Again I seriously wonder
why apparently so many people "knew" but kept their own counsel.
Surely in the 70's and 80's we had not come to accept the lolestation
and worse of young girls to be normal and commonplace.

Savile was not a powerful man. He was once a professional wrestler and
could probably use himself in his younger years but was hardly in a
position to do so after he had caught the public eye without pertinent
questions being asked. Neither was he influential he was a clown for
God's sake. He wasn't "too valuable" to the BBC. He stood alongside
DJs like Wogan, Jimmy Young, Jack Jackson, David Jacobs, Desmond
Hamilton, Tony Blackburn against any of whom he paled into
insignicance.

RichMck

Oct 10, 2012, 8:40:26 AM10/10/12
DJs like Wogan, Jimmy Young, Jack Jackson,
David Jacobs, Desmond Hamilton, Tony Blackburn
against any of whom he paled into insignicance.

---

On the letter page in the Mail yesterday it
mentioned that Blackburn and another DJ would
often play Gary Puckett song "Young Girl" at
the end of their slot. Dedicating it to Savile.

GB

Oct 10, 2012, 8:53:14 AM10/10/12
This entire thread is a load of utter bollocks!

Rantzen said 'the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy Savile were like office
"gossip" at the time. '

So, what did she have to pass on to the Police, exactly? Something
specific like "Mavis saw Savile rape xxxx in his dressing room on xx the
xx of 19xx"?

Or was it just "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is a
bit of a freak and all creepy-like"?

JohnR

Oct 10, 2012, 9:17:23 AM10/10/12
If only he'd been a terrorist.

tim.....

Oct 10, 2012, 9:22:07 AM10/10/12

"Mel Rowing" <mel.r...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
I have no idea who Jack Jackson is, so I'll have to strongly disagree with
you on that point

tim

RichMck

Oct 10, 2012, 9:35:17 AM10/10/12
Rantzen said 'the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy Savile were like office
"gossip" at the time. '

So, what did she have to pass on to the Police, exactly? Something
specific like "Mavis saw Savile rape xxxx in his dressing room on xx the
xx of 19xx"?

Or was it just "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is a
bit of a freak and all creepy-like"?

----

If she claims that there has been rumours
she should have reported them to the police.

It is upto them to choose to do nothing.

Jethro_uk

Oct 10, 2012, 9:44:12 AM10/10/12
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 05:21:13 -0700, Mel Rowing wrote:

> Savile was not a powerful man. He was once a professional wrestler and
> could probably use himself in his younger years but was hardly in a
> position to do so after he had caught the public eye without pertinent
> questions being asked. Neither was he influential he was a clown for
> God's sake. He wasn't "too valuable" to the BBC. He stood alongside DJs
> like Wogan, Jimmy Young, Jack Jackson, David Jacobs, Desmond Hamilton,
> Tony Blackburn against any of whom he paled into insignicance.

True as it stands. However, as you are aware, there has been speculation
that there were serving police officers who were complicit in Saviles
crimes - leading to a very strong motive for them to be kept quiet.

GB

Oct 10, 2012, 9:56:22 AM10/10/12
That's utter rubbish, I'm afraid. The rumours need to have some basis of
credibility and be reasonably specific to be reportable to the police.
You can't report "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is
a bit of a freak and all creepy-like". Particularly as it's not a crime
to appear creepy - probably just as well for most of the denizens of ukl.

Rantzen may have heard something specific, but she doesn't say that she
did. If she did say it, you'd be right to castigate her for inaction,
but at the moment you are utterly wrong.

I think that she is far too clever to admit to knowing more, by the way.

Norman Wells

Oct 10, 2012, 10:02:50 AM10/10/12
GB wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 14:35, RichMck wrote:
>> Rantzen said 'the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy Savile were like
>> office "gossip" at the time. '

> Rantzen may have heard something specific, but she doesn't say that
> she did. If she did say it, you'd be right to castigate her for
> inaction, but at the moment you are utterly wrong.

Those who are castigating her are doing so for her inaction as regards
_investigating_ the claims, which she was in a very privileged position
to do. She heard what she heard but did nothing. And that's pretty
hypocritical and unworthy in someone whose purpose in heading up
Childline was to protect children from abuse.

Mel Rowing

Oct 10, 2012, 10:06:39 AM10/10/12
What crimes? I must have missed that case!

Of course serving police officers were involved. They debauch young
girls before drinking their blood and feeding their entrails to pigs.

GB

Oct 10, 2012, 10:10:12 AM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 15:02, Norman Wells wrote:

> Those who are castigating her are doing so for her inaction as regards
> _investigating_ the claims, which she was in a very privileged position
> to do. She heard what she heard but did nothing. And that's pretty
> hypocritical and unworthy in someone whose purpose in heading up
> Childline was to protect children from abuse.

You have no idea what she heard. Maybe just that he was creepy, so
nothing to investigate.

richardm...@googlemail.com

Oct 10, 2012, 10:36:40 AM10/10/12
That's utter rubbish, I'm afraid. The rumours need to have some basis of
credibility and be reasonably specific to be reportable to the police.
You can't report "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is
a bit of a freak and all creepy-like". Particularly as it's not a crime
to appear creepy - probably just as well for most of the denizens of ukl.

---

I agree there must be credible rumours.
I.e if it was common to see girls leave his
dressing room while buttoning up their top etc.

Most likely they would not act on it but if they
heard more stories then they should investigate.

Years ago I recall i had someone come to my door
asking if I were selling, i looked puzzled. They
asked if this was number 6 (i lived at 5) and
gave the name of my neighbour. A similar incident
happen previously.

The following day i went to the police.

No doubt the police did nothing but never the less
I felt that I had duty to report what i believe to be a
criminal activity.

Surely this is how they gather intelligence.

RichMck

Oct 10, 2012, 10:38:36 AM10/10/12
Those who are castigating her are doing so for her inaction as regards
_investigating_ the claims, which she was in a very privileged position
to do. She heard what she heard but did nothing. And that's pretty
hypocritical and unworthy in someone whose purpose in heading up
Childline was to protect children from abuse.

====
I agree, well said

allantracy

Oct 10, 2012, 10:57:21 AM10/10/12

> That's utter rubbish, I'm afraid. The rumours need to have some basis of
> credibility and be reasonably specific to be reportable to the police.
> You can't report "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is
> a bit of a freak and all creepy-like". Particularly as it's not a crime
> to appear creepy - probably just as well for most of the denizens of ukl.

This kind of misses the point because Savile was on the end of a whole
series of discretionary TV contracts (working on children's telly by
the way) that could have been terminated for no better reason than
some producer's whim.

I suspect this is just another case of those times when this whole
issue was not so widely known about (accepted) or taken as seriously
as it should have been.

Something Esther did more than most to change.

Nigel Oldfield

Oct 10, 2012, 11:16:48 AM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 13:53, GB wrote:
"In the courts, the trend has been to use objective tests to determine
whether, in circumstances where there would have been no risk to the
accused's health or well-being, the accused should have taken action to
prevent a foreseeable injury being sustained by a particular victim or
one from a class of potential victims.[citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omission_%28criminal_law%29

WM

Nigel Oldfield

Oct 10, 2012, 11:20:31 AM10/10/12
"Childline founder Esther Rantzen, a BBC broadcaster and long-time
campaigner against child abuse, has admitted she had heard rumours about
the behaviour of flamboyant entertainer Jimmy Savile.

Ms Rantzen, who appears in an ITV documentary tonight which claims Sir
Jimmy sexually abused schoolgirls as young as 12, said: "There were
always rumours that he behaved very inappropriately, sexually, with
children." "

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/news/content/view/full/124606

"For decades, nobody said anything, at least not publicly, not
officially. Everyone knew � that is, everyone in the television and pop
music industries knew. The rumours swirled around him, that he sexually
abused young girls. A journalist friend told me in the 1970s about a
little girl with a heart defect. Jimmy had helped her to have the defect
surgically corrected. A newspaper heard about his generosity and
contacted the girl�s family to run the story, but the family refused to
talk to them because they were sickened by what they knew he had done to
her to make her �earn� the operation. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9591322/Esther-Rantzen-How-I-long-to-turn-the-clock-back.html

WM

Peter Turtill

Oct 10, 2012, 11:30:45 AM10/10/12
Bernard Braden I think:-)

pete

Jethro_uk

Oct 10, 2012, 11:29:57 AM10/10/12
Also, haven't such organisations urged people to contact the police if
they suspect abuse is going on ?

Mel Rowing

Oct 10, 2012, 11:35:06 AM10/10/12
On Oct 10, 2:22 pm, "tim....." <tims_new_h...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> "Mel Rowing" <mel.row...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> I have no idea who Jack Jackson is, so I'll have to strongly disagree with
> you on that point

Well you ought to have because not only was he a top DJ he first came
to eminance as a musician and a damn good one. It's not nowadays a
common gateway for a DJ but on the decline of the big bands (a passion
of mine) Jack took to beomomg a DJ. Jack Payne was another who took
this route as did Sam Costa was another though Sam also doubled as a
comedy actor ("Much-binding-in the Marsh" with Kenneth Horne and
Dickie Murdoch)

I remember my older sisters listening to Jack Jackson in his "Jack
Jackson's Record Line up" on the old 208m Radio Luxemburg. I'm pretty
sure too that he fronted "Top Twenty" another Luxemburg promotion at
11-00 p.m. on a Sunday night and essential listening for all
teenagers. Started with number 20 in the hit parade and finished with
number 1. Those were the days when the hit parade meant something each
record sale representing a single 78 r.p.m. bakelite disc.

Jackson moved to the BBC from Luxemburg as one of two of them (like
Pete Murray) did. The beauty of these people is that they knew their
music. Savile was amongst the first generation of drivel peddlers.
They were artistes in their own right the next lot weren't.

The Todal

Oct 10, 2012, 12:11:06 PM10/10/12
On 10/10/12 16:20, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 15:10, GB wrote:
>> On 10/10/2012 15:02, Norman Wells wrote:
>>
>>> Those who are castigating her are doing so for her inaction as regards
>>> _investigating_ the claims, which she was in a very privileged position
>>> to do. She heard what she heard but did nothing. And that's pretty
>>> hypocritical and unworthy in someone whose purpose in heading up
>>> Childline was to protect children from abuse.
>>
>> You have no idea what she heard. Maybe just that he was creepy, so
>> nothing to investigate.
>
> "Childline founder Esther Rantzen, a BBC broadcaster and long-time
> campaigner against child abuse, has admitted she had heard rumours about
> the behaviour of flamboyant entertainer Jimmy Savile.
>
> Ms Rantzen, who appears in an ITV documentary tonight which claims Sir
> Jimmy sexually abused schoolgirls as young as 12, said: "There were
> always rumours that he behaved very inappropriately, sexually, with
> children." "

Oh, come on. Some balance, please!

CELEBRITIES PAY TRIBUTE TO SIR JIMMY SAVILE
Tribute: Actor Ricky Gervais

Ricky Gervais: 'RIP Jimmy Saville My first guest on my first TV Show A
proper British eccentric.'

Radio presenter Nicky Campbell: 'Sir Jimmy Savile - a man so unique,a
character so extraordinary, a personality so fascinating yet
impenetrable. You could not have made him up.'

DJ Tony Blackburn: 'He was a one-off - that's the way he'll be
remembered, really - but in particular all that money he raised for
charity.'

Stuart Hall, broadcaster: 'He had lots of imitators, the one and only
Jimmy Savile.'

Radio presenter David Hamilton: 'I remember him as just a totally
flamboyant, over the top, larger than life character and as he was on
the air, he was just the same off.'

Lord Alan Sugar: Sad news on the death of Jimmy Savile very funny man
and did loads of work for charity RIP.'

Katherine Jenkins: 'Sad news Jimmy Saville has passed away.My sis & I
always wanted a Jim'll Fix it Badge/Medal. Loved that show.Great
memories #RIPJimmySaville.'

Carol Vorderman: 'RIP Jimmy Saville .... Leeds has lost a much loved son
... and we have lost a ray of sunshine .... #happymemories x

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2055045/Jimmy-Savile-dead-DJ-Jimll-Fix-It-presenter-dies-home-aged-84.html

DJ Tony Blackburn said: "He was just a complete one-off. I think he was
a bit of a lonely character as well. In the privacy of his own life I
don't think he had very many friends," adding: "I've never known anyone
quite like him. He was a blunt speaking Northerner, but also kind and
very respectful."

A Clarence House spokesman said: �The Prince of Wales and the Duchess
are saddened to hear of Sir Jimmy Savile�s death, and their thoughts are
with his family at this time.�

This Morning presenter Phillip Schofield tweeted: "Deeply saddened by
the death of Sir Jimmy Savile. He was so generous with his time and
advice to me when I was starting out. So long Jim :("

Radio presenter, David Hamilton said: "He was a very energetic
character... but most of all, I remember him as just a totally
flamboyant, over the top, larger than life character and as he was on
the air, he was just the same off."

Dave Lee Travis described Savile as a "larger than life" character. "We
are all going to be worse off without him around," he said.

Radio Times columnist Stuart Hall noted: "He had lots of imitators, the
one and only Jimmy Savile."

Alan Sugar tweeted: "Sad news on the death of Jimmy Savile very funny
man and did loads of work for charity, RIP."

Ricky Gervais tweeted: "RIP Jimmy Savile. My first guest on my first TV
show. A proper British eccentric."

Former deputy Labour leader John Prescott said: "Sad to hear of Jimmy
Savile's death. Tireless fundraiser and a real character."

Rory Bremner tweeted: "Just heard Jimmy Savile has died at 84. A
nation's impressionists mourn. Quite a character. RIP."

Comedian Chris Addison tweeted: "RIP Jimmy Savile. I hope they hold the
wake on the rollercoaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach."

Singer Katherine Jenkins tweeted: "Sad news Jimmy Savile has passed
away. My sis & I always wanted a Jim'll Fix It Badge/Medal. Loved that
show. Great memories."

Comedian Al Murray tweeted: "For many Southerners growing up, Jimmy
Savile was the first inkling they had of the North."

Christopher Biggins said: �He was a television institution and an
inspiration to everybody who watched him. He will be sadly missed.�

Do you have a special memory of Jimmy Savile? Post a comment below...
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-10-29/celebrities-pay-tribute-to-tv-and-radio-legend-sir-jimmy-savile

Alan Franey, former Chief Executive of Broadmoor Hospital

"I spent a lot of time with him and would say I knew him probably as
well as anybody else knew him," Mr Franey told BBC 5 live.
"It was a tough upbringing and he never forgot his roots�

"I spoke to him last Wednesday and asked him how he was, and he said he
was feeling very tired and short of breath. Mentally, he was very alert.
But he said to me: 'I'm coming to the end of the tunnel.'"

Mr Franey ran marathons with Sir Jimmy to raise money for causes
including Broadmoor, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire and
Leeds General Infirmary.

"Jimmy would spend time going round the hospital [at Broadmoor] talking
to staff and talking to patients, and if he could do any fundraising he
would do so," he said.

"He spent a lot of his life involved in raising [money for] charity and
was passionate about helping people. Jimmy had a very normal upbringing
but it was a tough upbringing and he never forgot his roots. He felt
that he was in a situation where he could raise funds for people using
his position in showbiz and he successfully did that."
David Hamilton, DJ

"We were together at Radio 1 in the '70s and the station was full of
eccentric personalities, but he was certainly the most flamboyant of
all," Hamilton told BBC 5 live.

"One of the essential things about Jimmy was that he was a man of the
people. He knew his audience, he was very much in touch with his
audience. I think the public were his family.

"Probably of all the DJs I worked with, I knew him less than any of the
others. He kept himself very much to himself. He didn't drink so he
wasn't the sort of man who would go down to the pub and have a bevvy
with you."
Paul Bruce, who appeared on Jim'll Fix It

Sir Jimmy fixed it for Paul to drive an HGV lorry in 1979. "It was every
child's dream to get on that programme," he said.

"It was fantastic to meet the guy and go on the programme, and I had
15-17 million people watching me on a Saturday evening. He was a great guy."
Graham Smith from Harrogate, Yorkshire, neighbour and colleague

"I lived in the apartment directly below Sir Jimmy for a few years and
worked as a documentary cameraman on Jim'll Fix It," Mr Smith said.

"I got to know him quite well as neighbours as well as professionally. I
also worked with Sir Jim on a video for Leeds General Infirmary. I was
always impressed with the way he was around the hospital.

"He would chat with everyone and spend time with everyone. He was never
too busy, he really liked people and he was happy to spend time with them.

He added: "Margaret Thatcher asked him to look after the wives of the G7
leaders during a conference. He took them to Stoke Mandeville. They were
confronted by a man in tracksuit and a jewellery but by the end of the
day, they were eating out of his hand."
Mark Thompson, BBC director general

"I am very sad to hear of Sir Jimmy Savile's death," said Mr Thompson.

"From Top of the Pops to Jim'll Fix It, Jimmy's unique style entertained
generations of BBC audiences. Like millions of viewers and listeners we
shall miss him greatly."
Jeremy Hunt, Culture Secretary

"Sir Jimmy Savile was one of broadcasting's most unique and colourful
characters," said Mr Hunt.

"From Top of the Pops to making children's dreams come true on Jim'll
Fix It, a generation of people will remember his catchphrases and sense
of fun.

"But his lasting legacy will be the millions he raised for charity,
tirelessly giving up his time and energy to help those causes he was
passionate about."
Dave Lee Travis, radio presenter

Dave Lee Travis said Sir Jimmy could talk to anybody and "genuinely
enjoyed" seeing the joy on the faces of the children on Jim'll Fix It.

But he was also a private man, he told BBC Radio 4's PM programme. "Deep
down inside him there was a guy which was very hard to get to.

"I've known Jimmy Savile for over 50 years, that's a hell of a long
period to know somebody, and I've never had an absolutely in-depth
straight conversation with him because he's constantly got a sort of
invisible shield up.

"He likes to keep his distance from everybody, even friends. He'll joke
his way out of something if he doesn't want to answer you... I think
probably enigma is a good word for it."
Charles Kennedy MP

The former Liberal Democrat leader and MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber
said Sir Jimmy was "a true and long-standing friend to the West
Highlands over decades of diligence and decency".

"When not resident at his home in Glencoe, he made it available for
mountain rescue use," he said.

"It was typical of the man that he never drew attention to such
characteristic generosity. A sad loss indeed."
Councillor Keith Wakefield, leader of Leeds City Council

"Sir Jimmy Savile was Leeds born and bred and he remained a Leeds lad
throughout his life," Cllr Wakefield said.

"He was a much-loved and well-known figure - a larger-than-life
character and an inspiration to many, particularly the children of the city.

"His enormous contribution to charity will never be forgotten. We are
proud to have someone like him, who did so much for so many, come from
Leeds."
John Myers, chief executive of industry body the Radio Academy

Mr Myers said: "The sad death of Sir Jimmy Savile represents a great
loss to the UK radio industry.

"He was one of the pioneers of modern pop-music radio. He made the
smooth transfer from Radio Luxembourg to the BBC in the late 1960s and
from 1997 moved his broadcasts to commercial radio where he continued to
be successful and well respected by radio audiences around the UK.

"The UK radio industry meets for its annual festival in Salford next
week. He will be fondly remembered and his death will be marked at a
special session on Tuesday morning."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

Nigel Oldfield

Oct 10, 2012, 12:16:24 PM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 17:11, The Todal wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

Yup, all damaged (but the good work never reversed), cos some, now
frumpy, groupies, regret being groped (allegedly).

WM

The Todal

Oct 10, 2012, 12:29:57 PM10/10/12
...continued....

Sir Jimmy's earnings were substantial and he owned at least eight homes,
including flats in Regent's Park, Bournemouth, Leeds and Scarborough.
Among his six cars were a Bentley Turbo, a Mercedes 500 SL and a flashy
Rolls-Royce.

He was a paid consultant to travel agent Thomas Cook and charged a
minimum of £10,000 for personal appearances.

He became a regular visitor to Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, and
Highgrove and was used as an intermediary in an attempt to resolve the
differences between the Prince and Princess of Wales shortly before
their split.

Asked why he was invited so often by the Royal family, he once said:
'Royalty are surrounded by people who don't know how to deal with it. I
have a freshness of approach which they obviously find to their liking.
I think I get invited because I have a natural good fun way of going on
and we have a laugh. They don't get too many laughs.'

A very odd man, I wonder if there is any truth in the rumours. Moderate
away.

- Big Fan , Neverland, 31/10/2011 09:43

REPORT ABUSE

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2055045/Jimmy-Savile-dead-DJ-Jimll-Fix-It-presenter-dies-home-aged-84.html

Cassandra

Oct 10, 2012, 1:47:19 PM10/10/12
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:42:52 +0100, Nigel Oldfield
<wmcritica...@gmail.com> wrote:

>0:13am, Tue 9 Oct 2012 Savile headstone removed
>
>Savile claims like office 'gossip' in the 1970s
>
>Last updated Wed 10 Oct 2012
>
>ChildLine founder Esther Rantzen, who worked for the BBC during the
>1970s, told ITV1's Daybreak that the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy
>Savile were like office "gossip" at the time.
>
>She added: "People sometimes say to me, ' well why didn't you pass it
>on?' And the thing is, who to? You go to the police and say there is
>gossip in the office about Jimmy Savile. We know that the police
>actually investigated definite complaints they'd had and couldn't take
>them further.
>
>"So, basically, you heard the rumours. I never liked the man. He was
>always, I thought, a bit creepy. But creepy isn't evidence. You can't go
>to the police and say I think he's creepy."
>
>http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-10-09/savile-claims-like-office-gossip-in-the-1970s/
>
>WM

I imagine the office gossip Esther Rantzen was most concerned about
was that which might find its way to Desmond Wilcox's wife

GB

Oct 10, 2012, 2:10:55 PM10/10/12
But she says: "But that story, like all the others I heard, was hearsay,
rumour, gossip. Many a person has been crucified unjustly by rumour. A
lie, they say, goes halfway around the world before truth has got its
boots on."

The Todal

Oct 10, 2012, 2:30:48 PM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 17:29, The Todal wrote:

> Asked why he was invited so often by the Royal family, he once said:
> 'Royalty are surrounded by people who don't know how to deal with it. I
> have a freshness of approach which they obviously find to their liking.
> I think I get invited because I have a natural good fun way of going on
> and we have a laugh. They don't get too many laughs.'

In the interests of balance - from today's Evening Standard:

A former colleague David Hamilton today told how Jimmy Savile had
offended the Duchess of Wessex with his 'lecherous' behaviour when she
was working as a press officer for Capital Radio. 'She greeted Jimmy
with a bottle of champagne even though he was teetotal, and the next
thing you know, the wind has blown up her dress. The more this happened,
the more amorous Jimmy became, showering her with kisses'. 'Sophie was
horrified and stormed off and said "I refuse to have anything to do with
that revolting man".

®i©ardo

Oct 10, 2012, 2:35:05 PM10/10/12
So, even as the leading light of Childline, she never bothered to follow
anything up when telephoned by a tearful child unless there was absolute
proof of the accusations - or was that only the case when a famous name
was involved? The plebs, of course, had Mr Plod knocking on their door
very swiftly even with unfounded allegations.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Mike Tomlinson

Oct 10, 2012, 10:34:46 PM10/10/12
En el art�culo <50757e94$0$10735$5b6a...@news.zen.co.uk>, GB
<NOTso...@microsoft.com> escribi�:

>That's utter rubbish, I'm afraid.

par for the course for McKenzie.

>I think that she is far too clever to admit to knowing more, by the way.

+1.

It's also a pity Savile is not here to defend himself and/or answer for
his actions.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

The Todal

Oct 11, 2012, 4:03:13 AM10/11/12
I think she should be thoroughly ashamed of herself. I always saw Esther
Rantzen as a publicity-seeker who hijacked the good work of others to
boost her own image (beginning with her work on Braden's Week).

I don't know why the journalists still run to her for an "expert"
opinion about child abuse when she knows fuck all about it. There are
many of us who have listened to victims telling about their abuse. It
doesn't make us experts. It doesn't even enable us to distinguish
between truth and fantasy.

The Todal

Oct 11, 2012, 4:04:56 AM10/11/12
On 11/10/12 03:34, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> En el artículo <50757e94$0$10735$5b6a...@news.zen.co.uk>, GB
> <NOTso...@microsoft.com> escribió:
>
>> That's utter rubbish, I'm afraid.
>
> par for the course for McKenzie.
>
>> I think that she is far too clever to admit to knowing more, by the way.
>
> +1.
>
> It's also a pity Savile is not here to defend himself and/or answer for
> his actions.

It's a great pity that Savile isn't here to instruct lawyers to take out
sweeping injunctions with claims for punitive damages. Still, I am
confident that eventually he will be totally exonerated. And the nurse
who witnessed him french-kissing and fondling a little girl who was a
patient in a hostpital will be sent to prison where she rightly belongs.

Turk182

Oct 11, 2012, 6:00:03 AM10/11/12
> Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2055045/Jimmy-Savile-dea...

I was confused about the way Ranzten has chosen to use the word
'colluded' when talking about BBC concealment of Saville's crimes. As
a BBC person in a prominent position, I was surprised by Ranzten's use
of this word. I don't feel I or other's I know 'colluded' at all, but
I suggest the police do now question Ranzten, because she appears to
have known something(s) that to the rest of us were simply rumours.

There were rumours about the Muggeridge family (including the sailor
Muggeridge); there were more than rumours about a number of high-
profile TV figures, some of which got to press but were then silenced
by injunctions. There were rumours about entertainers, politicians
and businessmen. There was the BBC connected charity boss who got
caught with a youngster (injunction). There were more than rumours
about Blair and the Witch (confirmed to me by sources). I met
reporters who had interviewed the victims of a 'feely, touchy' home
secretary who Thatcher sent off to Europe following her threat to sue
any paper that reported the claims. Part of the doctrine of the BBC
was linked to a sound journalistic principle that a rumour was just
that – and did not get reported. I believe Saville used this rumour
principle to his advantage, I will explain further down.

There was also an MI5 office in broadcasting house where covert
investigations were made on presenters and staff. They may well have
been aware of Saville's interests, but I imagine a risk assessment was
carried out and they felt that on balance, Saville would have been
able to suppress stories with injunctions, and so they felt reasonably
safe. Saville had got too big - he was too well connected OUTSIDE the
BBC. His red flagged folder will have had contradictory warnings
attached.

I think one really important facet of this case, is that Saville did
not only groom his girls but he groomed all the BBC staff too. It was
very unusual for Saville NOT to make reference to his young ladies.
"My girl's" or “my young ladies” was a common expression for him to
drop into a conversation. At the time, I thought this was a boast, to
either a) detract attention away from his age (pop culture was age
sensitive), in order to safeguard his shelf life, or (b) mask a
feeling that I had (wrongly it seems), that he liked men or boys.

In fact, I now see realise that his own waving flag, was a clever way
of dealing with rumour. Due to his egotistical boasting, the more
authentic, independent warning became lost in the fog, because if the
rumour had been true, why would he boast about it? It was open secret
that he thought about "young ladies" (though not revealing just how
young) and I believed I had heard the rumour more from Jim himself
than anyone! This was the mask – a completely pre-emptive but
defensive nonetheless double bluff. In writing this, it has also
occurred to me that this may have given him a way in to anyone who was
like-minded, but I can't be sure that this was in the plan (as yet).

There was more than a little gayness in the BBC, and well before being
gay became a badge of pride.

Today, being gay in the BBC is a huge career booster - and this is not
said in any way to detract from the qualities of those numerous gay
managers. I often think the BBC have done this to reduce the risks
associated with women! Affairs between men often keep a sense of
order, but between men and women (managers and staff), they can cause
havoc and unwanted publicity.

Turk182

richardm...@googlemail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 7:13:32 AM10/11/12
(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

No Mike

The police gather information/intelligence
from various sources including rumour.

If they choose not to act upon the information
then that is their perogative.

It was a rumour that lead Strathclyde police
exhuming a body in an unrelated case.

If i hear a rumour that has some veracity
then it is my duty to pass this onto the police.
In fact I percieve this as a moral duty.

I believe that such allegations should only
be brought prior to the death or 10 years
But if there are still those alive that have
committed a crime and through this investigation
they are caught then good.

Cynic

Oct 16, 2012, 12:32:57 PM10/16/12
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:24:15 +0100, "Norman Wells" <h...@unseen.ac.am>
wrote:

>Exactly. She was in the perfect position to have the matter
>_investigated_, which is what was necessary, and such an investigation
>would surely have brought up more evidence than she could conceivably
>have wished for to go to the police.

Or perhaps it would not have brought up any evidence apart from
rumours and hearsay. After all, there is no reason why the witnesses
who are coming forward now should not have been equally willing to
come forward 5 or 10 years ago, with or without Esther. You cannot be
sued for defamation for going to the police with an accusation.

Unless it can be proven by the accused person that you knowingly made
a false accusation.

--
Cynic

Cynic

Oct 16, 2012, 12:34:51 PM10/16/12
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:53:14 +0100, GB <NOTso...@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>This entire thread is a load of utter bollocks!

>Rantzen said 'the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy Savile were like office
>"gossip" at the time. '

>So, what did she have to pass on to the Police, exactly? Something
>specific like "Mavis saw Savile rape xxxx in his dressing room on xx the
>xx of 19xx"?

>Or was it just "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is a
>bit of a freak and all creepy-like"?

You mean that she was quite right to keep quiet because she had no
evidence that was any more substantial than the producer of the
documentary that started the whole thing?

--
Cynic

Cynic

Oct 16, 2012, 1:01:37 PM10/16/12
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:04:56 +0100, The Todal <deadm...@beeb.net>
wrote:

>It's a great pity that Savile isn't here to instruct lawyers to take out
>sweeping injunctions with claims for punitive damages.

If the allegations were numerous and provable on BoP, I am sure Savile
would have been advised to do nothing of the kind. But even if he had
done so despite his case being hopeless, in a bid to make it too much
of a gamble for people to risk having to defend an expensive court
case, surely ITV would have bankrolled any defence action needed if
they were as convinced of the accuracy of their allegations as the
documentary suggested.

> Still, I am
>confident that eventually he will be totally exonerated. And the nurse
>who witnessed him french-kissing and fondling a little girl who was a
>patient in a hostpital will be sent to prison where she rightly belongs.

I wouldn't want her sent to prison because she has confessed that she
failed to report a serious crime that she witnessed. There is, after
all, no law to make it mandatory to tell the police if you happen to
witness a child being sexually abused by someone you know. In fact
paedophiles will no doubt be encouraged by the fact that not a single
adult of the many who witnessed Jimmy sexually abusing children chose
to report what they had seen until after the abuser was dead,
whereupon they decided that it was more appropriate to make an
informal complaint to the media rather than signing a witness
statement for the police.

No, the only reason *I* would have for wanting to see her in prison is
if she is found to have deliberately fabricated the entire story.

--
Cynic

totallyconfused

Oct 16, 2012, 1:25:33 PM10/16/12
On Oct 11, 9:03 am, The Todal <deadmail...@beeb.net> wrote:
> between truth and fantasy.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. Lesser half and I were in Sainsbury's today and saw the
Express. (no we did not buy the rag) But the front page:
Esther :Saville may have ruined MY life's work. We both said isn't it
always about HER!'

My view is how convenient that is all coming out a week before his
estate is due to be settled. Also lesser half raised a good point; as
of today we have 60 'claims'. Put them all in a room and tell them
'there is no money...you won't get anything'....how many would be
left?

As I have said, I have never understood why Saville was an 'icon'; I
found him creepy. But I also find Rantzen a self serving ego maniac.
TC

Steerpike

Oct 16, 2012, 1:38:49 PM10/16/12
to cyni...@yahoo.co.uk
The thread is indeed a load of utter bollocks, and just goes to show how the MSM can so easily whip the bewildered herd into hysteria over nothing.

totallyconfused

Oct 16, 2012, 2:02:08 PM10/16/12
On Oct 16, 6:38 pm, Steerpike <gloomy.gobli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:34:53 PM UTC+1, Cynic wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:53:14 +0100, GB <NOTsome...@microsoft.com>
>
> > wrote:
>
> > >This entire thread is a load of utter bollocks!
>
> > >Rantzen said 'the rumours surrounding Sir Jimmy Savile were like office
>
> > >"gossip" at the time. '
>
> > >So, what did she have to pass on to the Police, exactly? Something
>
> > >specific like "Mavis saw Savile rape xxxx in his dressing room on xx the
>
> > >xx of 19xx"?
>
> > >Or was it just "Mavis in the typing pool reckons that Savile geezer is a
>
> > >bit of a freak and all creepy-like"?
>
> > You mean that she was quite right to keep quiet because she had no
>
> > evidence that was any more substantial than the producer of the
>
> > documentary that started the whole thing?
>
> > --
>
> > Cynic
>
> The thread is indeed a load of utter bollocks, and just goes to show how the MSM can so easily whip the bewildered herd into hysteria over nothing.- Hide quoted text -

Oh other half did say, 'And how much legislation is being quietly
passed with this distraction?'

Steerpike

Oct 16, 2012, 2:12:10 PM10/16/12

> > The thread is indeed a load of utter bollocks, and just goes to show how the MSM can so easily whip the bewildered herd into hysteria over nothing.- Hide quoted text -

> Oh other half did say, 'And how much legislation is being quietly
>
> passed with this distraction?'

They are sure in slip some nasty stuff in, and nonsense like the Savile affair means not a blink on the herds radar, as they are all waiting on the very latest Savile news.