Passport photos...

Jake

Jun 18, 2011, 7:03:14 PM6/18/11
I have a British Passport that will expire at the end of the year and I'm
looking to renew it as most countries won't let you in with less than 6
months left on it.

When I apply for its renewal, do I need to include newly taken photos? My
appearance hasn't changed at all over the last 9 and a half years (lucky
me). I still use the same photos reprinted from the original set when
applying for other forms of ID - I scanned the originals and re-printed on
photo paper when required, as it saves the �4.50 photo machine charge.

Or do they specify that you must include new photos, taken within the last 6
months?

Michael Swift

Jun 18, 2011, 8:22:00 PM6/18/11
In article <8JudnUBNF8Qqs2DQ...@giganews.com>, Jake
<Ja...@jakesplaice.com> writes

>Or do they specify that you must include new photos, taken within the last 6
>months?

Haven't a clue but how do they know, I've yet to have a passport photo
which looks anything like me anyway.

I renewed mine a couple of years ago and used a booth photo I had used
two years before for my Blue Badge application.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Jake

Jun 18, 2011, 9:18:13 PM6/18/11

"Michael Swift" <mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <8JudnUBNF8Qqs2DQ...@giganews.com>, Jake
> <Ja...@jakesplaice.com> writes
>>Or do they specify that you must include new photos, taken within the last
>>6
>>months?
>
> Haven't a clue but how do they know, I've yet to have a passport photo
> which looks anything like me anyway.
>
> I renewed mine a couple of years ago and used a booth photo I had used two
> years before for my Blue Badge application.

Yeah, I guess they have no real way of checking when the photo was taken,
but the big giveaway will be that the photo is identical to that on my
shortly to expire passport, so being pretty obvious its a ~10 year old
photo.

Prai Jei

Jun 19, 2011, 4:01:38 AM6/19/11
Jake set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

When I renewed mine a couple of years ago I did include a new photo,
although my appearance hadn't changed that much.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

The Todal

Jun 19, 2011, 4:11:57 AM6/19/11

"Jake" <Ja...@jakesplaice.com> wrote in message

I think all the rules are online. As I understand it you only need another
photo if your appearance has changed, but I could be wrong.

Jeff

Jun 19, 2011, 5:35:34 AM6/19/11

New photos are not required for the renewal of a passport that is still
current unless your appearance has substantially change,

Jeff

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 9:38:40 AM6/19/11
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:03:14 +0100, "Jake" <Ja...@jakesplaice.com>
wrote:

>I have a British Passport that will expire at the end of the year and I'm
>looking to renew it as most countries won't let you in with less than 6
>months left on it.
>
>When I apply for its renewal, do I need to include newly taken photos? My
>appearance hasn't changed at all over the last 9 and a half years (lucky
>me). I still use the same photos reprinted from the original set when
>applying for other forms of ID - I scanned the originals and re-printed on
>photo paper when required, as it saves the �4.50 photo machine charge.

Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
gone to a pro.

>Or do they specify that you must include new photos, taken within the last 6
>months?

One month, actually.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174152

The rules for passport photos

The photographs you supply with your application must:

show you with a neutral expression and your mouth closed (no
grinning, frowning or raised eyebrows)
show you on your own (babies should not have toys or a dummy, and
there shouldn�t be other people in the photo)
be in colour, not black and white
be identical
be taken within the last month
be 45 millimetres high x 35 millimetres wide - this is the
standard size when you have a passport photo taken in a photo booth or
studio (you should not trim a larger photograph to meet this
condition)
be clear and in sharp focus, with a clear difference between your
face and the background
be taken against a plain cream or plain light grey background
not show you with red-eye
be of you facing forward and looking straight at the camera
not be torn, creased, or marked
be printed on plain white photographic paper
be free from shadows
be taken with your eyes open and clearly visible (no sunglasses or
tinted glasses and no hair across your eyes)
be free from reflection or glare on your glasses, and the frames
must not cover your eyes - the Identity and Passport Service (IPS)
recommends that, if possible, you remove your glasses
be professionally printed (photographs printed at home are not
acceptable)
show your full head, without any head covering, unless you wear
one for religious beliefs or medical reasons
be taken with nothing covering your face - you should make sure
nothing covers the outline of your eyes, nose or mouth
be a close-up of your head and shoulders with a recommended head
height (the distance between the bottom of your chin and the crown of
your head) between 29 and 34 mm
not have any writing on the front or back, except on certified
photos - trademarks or photographic printing on the back must not show
through

Jeff

Jun 19, 2011, 7:55:52 AM6/19/11

> Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
> specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
> the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
> gone to a pro.

Most photo machines now have a passport mode that puts guide marks on
the screen so that you can produce an acceptable photo, and being
digital they let you preview the photo before you commit.

Anyway new photos are not required for renewals if your appearance has
not changed significantly.

Jeff

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 9:58:47 AM6/19/11
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:55:52 +0100, Jeff <je...@jsystems.com> wrote:

>> Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
>> specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
>> the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
>> gone to a pro.
>>

>Most photo machines now have a passport mode that puts guide marks on
>the screen so that you can produce an acceptable photo, and being
>digital they let you preview the photo before you commit.

How many people manage to get it right first time?

>Anyway new photos are not required for renewals if your appearance has
>not changed significantly.

That's not what the direct.gov website says (conveniently snipped).

Mentalguy2k8

Jun 19, 2011, 8:08:48 AM6/19/11

"The Revd" <pee...@degenerate.griks> wrote in message

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:55:52 +0100, Jeff <je...@jsystems.com> wrote:
>

>>> Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
>>> specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
>>> the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
>>> gone to a pro.
>>>

>>Most photo machines now have a passport mode that puts guide marks on
>>the screen so that you can produce an acceptable photo, and being
>>digital they let you preview the photo before you commit.
>
> How many people manage to get it right first time?

That's why you get the chance to take another and another and another until
you *do* get it right, but only pay once.

The downside is, Post Offices always keep a flock of old biddies in a
cupboard, they determine what you're going in there for and release a few in
front of you, to either send a parcel to Mbongo and pay in 1-pence pieces
and powdered-egg vouchers, or spend 4 days trying to work out where to put
the money in the photo booth.

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 10:15:57 AM6/19/11
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:08:48 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
<Mental...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"The Revd" <pee...@degenerate.griks> wrote in message

>>>Most photo machines now have a passport mode that puts guide marks on
>>>the screen so that you can produce an acceptable photo, and being
>>>digital they let you preview the photo before you commit.
>>
>> How many people manage to get it right first time?
>
>That's why you get the chance to take another and another and another until
>you *do* get it right, but only pay once.

You mean when you *think* you've got it right - only to have the
Passport Office reject it.

>The downside is, Post Offices always keep a flock of old biddies in a
>cupboard, they determine what you're going in there for and release a few in
>front of you, to either send a parcel to Mbongo and pay in 1-pence pieces
>and powdered-egg vouchers, or spend 4 days trying to work out where to put
>the money in the photo booth.

Old biddies and DHSS people don't get up early. Go to the PO when it
opens.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jun 19, 2011, 8:41:09 AM6/19/11
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:38:40 -0600, The Revd
<pee...@degenerate.griks> wrote:

>Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
>specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
>the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
>gone to a pro.

I produced mine using the camera in my laptop and a bit of editing
with Photoshop. It only took a few minutes and cost one sheet of photo
paper. It is also quite easy with a booth photo machines as they have
passport setting these days.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Mentalguy2k8

Jun 19, 2011, 8:45:35 AM6/19/11

"The Revd" <pee...@degenerate.griks> wrote in message

You reckon?? My experience is that old ladies are queueing outside post
offices and supermarkets waiting for them to open. Then they run some kind
of shift pattern to make sure they're slowing everything down at all times,
especially at lunchtimes and weekends when the rest of us have no choice but
to use them.

Jim Hawkins

Jun 19, 2011, 10:05:28 AM6/19/11

Like muslim women wearing the burka ?

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 12:15:55 PM6/19/11

Presumably. But not to worry, you are quite likely to be met at
London Heathrow Border Control by a burkha wearing Immigration
'Officer'.

Nightjar

Jun 19, 2011, 11:07:11 AM6/19/11
On 19/06/2011 14:58, The Revd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:55:52 +0100, Jeff<je...@jsystems.com> wrote:
>

>>> Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
>>> specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
>>> the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
>>> gone to a pro.
>>>

>> Most photo machines now have a passport mode that puts guide marks on
>> the screen so that you can produce an acceptable photo, and being
>> digital they let you preview the photo before you commit.
>
> How many people manage to get it right first time?

You don't need to. You get up to three tries before you have to accept
the photo and get it printed.

Colin Bignell

rasta....@gmx.co.uk

Jun 19, 2011, 11:08:05 AM6/19/11
wrote:

>I have a British Passport that will expire at the end of the year and I'm

You have to enclose photos and common sense dictates that if you
simply send in the same ones that you did 10 years prviously then your
application will be rejected.

No-one looks the same today as they did in June 2001.......with the
possible exception of Cliff Richard.

The one thing you don't have to do is get them signed by a JP, doctor,
etc etc.

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 1:24:03 PM6/19/11

How many people even get it right after the third try?

Mentalguy2k8

Jun 19, 2011, 11:28:10 AM6/19/11

"The Revd" <pee...@degenerate.griks> wrote in message

In which case, they're too stupid to go abroad or apply for a driving
license, and don't need a photo.

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 1:38:49 PM6/19/11

All kinds of stupid people go abroad, as seen on the "air rage"
thread.

Steve O

Jun 19, 2011, 3:13:46 PM6/19/11
On 19/06/2011 14:38, The Revd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:03:14 +0100, "Jake"<Ja...@jakesplaice.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a British Passport that will expire at the end of the year and I'm
>> looking to renew it as most countries won't let you in with less than 6
>> months left on it.
>>
>> When I apply for its renewal, do I need to include newly taken photos? My
>> appearance hasn't changed at all over the last 9 and a half years (lucky
>> me). I still use the same photos reprinted from the original set when
>> applying for other forms of ID - I scanned the originals and re-printed on
>> photo paper when required, as it saves the �4.50 photo machine charge.
>
> Photo machine??? The requirements of passport photos are very
> specific now. You can't possibly achieve that with a photo machine
> the first time. By the time you've got it right, you may as well have
> gone to a pro.

Don't see what's wrong with a photo booth.
I just renewed my daughters passport with a photo produced by my laptop
and printer, so I don't see how you could go wrong with a photo booth pic.

Jim Hawkins

Jun 19, 2011, 3:31:19 PM6/19/11

Like muslim women wearing the burka ?

Jim Hawkins

The Revd

Jun 19, 2011, 5:40:21 PM6/19/11

I don't like it much, but it happens.

Ian Jackson

Jun 19, 2011, 5:43:23 PM6/19/11
In message <h34sv61r8oisbet4u...@4ax.com>,
rasta....@gmx.co.uk writes

If I recall correctly.... "unless your appearance has changed
considerably".
--
Ian

Derek F

Jun 19, 2011, 6:35:19 PM6/19/11
On 19/06/2011 14:38, The Revd wrote:

>> Or do they specify that you must include new photos, taken within the last 6
>> months?
>
> One month, actually.
>
> http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174152
>
> The rules for passport photos
>
> The photographs you supply with your application must:
>
> show you with a neutral expression and your mouth closed (no
> grinning, frowning or raised eyebrows)
> show you on your own (babies should not have toys or a dummy, and

> there shouldn�t be other people in the photo)

I followed all the rules and my picture looks like a death mask
Derek

Derek F

Jun 19, 2011, 6:37:00 PM6/19/11
Old biddies queue up early for their pensions.
Derek

sid

Jun 19, 2011, 8:11:29 PM6/19/11
On 19/06/11 15:15, The Revd wrote:

>> The downside is, Post Offices always keep a flock of old biddies in a
>> cupboard, they determine what you're going in there for and release a few in
>> front of you, to either send a parcel to Mbongo and pay in 1-pence pieces
>> and powdered-egg vouchers, or spend 4 days trying to work out where to put
>> the money in the photo booth.
>
> Old biddies and DHSS people don't get up early. Go to the PO when it
> opens.

You can ask the PO to check it before you send it, if you have a
chemist/shop place with a PO inside, you can even get the photo done at
the same time sometimes.

sid

Jun 19, 2011, 8:12:19 PM6/19/11

And as seen on "Brits abroad" type programmes.

sid

Jun 19, 2011, 8:14:54 PM6/19/11
On 19/06/11 14:38, The Revd wrote:

> not have any writing on the front or back, except on certified
> photos - trademarks or photographic printing on the back must not show
> through

I have yet to see a photo on certain types of photo paper that does
*not* have writing on the back. It's printed on the paper, you have no
choice about it being there.

I suppose they mean handwriting, but on the back (assuming it does not
distort the paper and is not some secret message being smuggled into
another country?) why does it matter?