California shootings

1 view

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- A massive manhunt was underway early Wednesday for a
37-year-old white male suspected of opening fire in a Jewish community and
daycare center in Granada Hills, wounding three young children, a teenager
and an adult.

http://cnn.com/US/9908/11/california.shooting.01/

Well, I'm with you Chuck. If only those little kids had had guns themselves,
this never would have happened.

Ronan Flood

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
<ps...@hotmail.com> quoted:

> LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- A massive manhunt was underway early Wednesday for a
> 37-year-old white male suspected of opening fire in a Jewish community and
> daycare center in Granada Hills, wounding three young children, a teenager
> and an adult.

Am I missing something here? What is the uk.glb relevance of this story?
People are criticising Rex Wockner for posting his US minor celeb stuff,
but at least there's some glb rationale behind that.

--
Ronan Flood <R.F...@noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
working for but not speaking for

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Ronan Flood <ro...@noc.ulcc.ac.uk> wrote in message

> <ps...@hotmail.com> quoted:
>
> > LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- A massive manhunt was underway early Wednesday for
> > 37-year-old white male suspected of opening fire in a Jewish community
and
> > daycare center in Granada Hills, wounding three young children, a
teenager
> > and an adult.
>
> Am I missing something here? What is the uk.glb relevance of this story?
> People are criticising Rex Wockner for posting his US minor celeb stuff,
> but at least there's some glb rationale behind that.

uk.glb - everything I post is relevant.

Ronan Flood

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
<ps...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Am I missing something here? What is the uk.glb relevance of this story?

> uk.glb - everything I post is relevant.

It seems I'm still missing something. Perhaps you could enlarge on that?

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

> <ps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Am I missing something here? What is the uk.glb relevance of this
story?
> > uk.glb - everything I post is relevant.
>
> It seems I'm still missing something. Perhaps you could enlarge on that?

Well, I'm a gay man and therefore...

But, in any case, our interests aren't limited solely, specifically, to glb
issues, are they. That's the basis of the newsgroup, but we're also rounded
individuals with a variety of interests to express. Our lives are not
compartmentalised.

Paul

Sean Steppie

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

In article <7os7b4$jeb$1...@lure.pipex.net>,
<ps...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Well, I'm a gay man and therefore...

Just because you have an interest in something doesn't, necessarily, mean
it is of interest to other gay men,

> But, in any case, our interests aren't limited solely, specifically, to glb
> issues, are they. That's the basis of the newsgroup, but we're also rounded
> individuals with a variety of interests to express. Our lives are not
> compartmentalised.

Quite, but I come to this group for news and information that isn't covered
by mainstream media. In fact I was aware of the shootings and was surprised
to see a posting here about them.

Sean.
--
Sean Steppie
e-mail: Frna.F...@rzh.pp.xpy.np.hx (ROT13)

James Harvey

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Sean Steppie <nob...@emu.cc.kcl.ac.uk> wrote in message

I tend to think about this group in this way:

People are either members because they *are* glb, or they are interested in
glb issues.

Of course anyone can start any conversation here, just because we generally
know each other and might be interested in the group's opinion on things
other than specifically glb issues.

So that's generally going to include a lot of "off-topic" conversation.

I know that technically, if you wish to talk about other things, you should
go to the group devoted to it. But on the other hand, It is also considered
rude to just burst into a new group and start a conversation without reading
the FAQ etc etc. So if you wish to ask one small question about frying pans
in rec.arts.frying.pan or whatever, you should watch that group for a week
or so beforehand.

But the traffic on this group alone runs into hundreds of messages daily.
So for most people (ie, people with a job and a life) monitoring this group
alone is pretty time consuming. So I tend to ask my frying pan questions
here, and risk the wrath of those who consider any message without a mention
of Peter Tatchell off-topic.

James

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

> In article <7os7b4$jeb$1...@lure.pipex.net>,
> <ps...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Well, I'm a gay man and therefore...
>
> Just because you have an interest in something doesn't, necessarily, mean
> it is of interest to other gay men,
>
> > But, in any case, our interests aren't limited solely, specifically, to
glb
> > issues, are they. That's the basis of the newsgroup, but we're also
rounded
> > individuals with a variety of interests to express. Our lives are not
> > compartmentalised.
>
> Quite, but I come to this group for news and information that isn't
covered
> by mainstream media.

We all do.

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

James Harvey <use...@logrus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Sean Steppie <nob...@emu.cc.kcl.ac.uk> wrote in message

I totally agree with everything that you say. And I don't bother with other
newsgroups.

Paul

Ronan Flood

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
"James Harvey" <use...@logrus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Of course anyone can start any conversation here, just because we
> generally know each other and might be interested in the group's
> opinion on things other than specifically glb issues.
>
> So that's generally going to include a lot of "off-topic" conversation.

Oh sure, especially through thread-drift. That's true of any of
the more socially-oriented groups, I would have thought, and I don't
have a problem with it generally -- I'm sure I'm at least as guilty
as anyone else.

Paul's pointer to the CNN article just seemed plonking, if you see
what I mean, and he didn't appear to be attempting to start a
conversation with it. Normally news articles referenced or posted
outside an existing thread (eg by MYM) have glb content; this one
doesn't appear to have, hence my difficulty.

St Erroneous

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
<ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
>James Harvey <use...@logrus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[something sage]

>I totally agree with everything that you say. And I don't bother with
>other newsgroups.

For gh*d's sake: _snip_

-michael E
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://www.erroneous.demon.co.uk/
"See the soul disengaging, the sicker they come." ICQ 44119217

Sean Steppie

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

In article <7osaul$mt3$1...@lure.pipex.net>,

<ps...@hotmail.com> writes:
> Sean Steppie <nob...@emu.cc.kcl.ac.uk> wrote in message

>> Quite, but I come to this group for news and information that isn't

> covered
>> by mainstream media.
>
> We all do.

Then why post something from a mainstream news agency with no GLB
content ?

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Masterful, or what?

St Erroneous <isha...@erroneous.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

St Erroneous

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
<ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
>St Erroneous <isha...@erroneous.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> <ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
>> >I totally agree with everything that you say. And I don't bother
>> >with other newsgroups.
>> For gh*d's sake: _snip_
>Masterful, or what?

One tries.

I repeat, with more elaboration: please remember to delete as much of
the previous message as possible, leaving only that content that is
required for comprehension and context. You should avoided quoting .sig
files. New text general follows the old context.

Tangential: Just watched _Hellraiser: Bloodline_. Desparately silly
towards the end, but you can't beat a good dose of Pinhead.

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

> <ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
> >St Erroneous <isha...@erroneous.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> <ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
> >> For gh*d's sake: _snip_
> >Masterful, or what?
>
> One tries.
>
> I repeat, with more elaboration: please remember to delete as much of
> the previous message as possible, leaving only that content that is
> required for comprehension and context.

Point noted. I will try to remember.

Paul

St Erroneous

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
<ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
>St Erroneous <isha...@erroneous.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I repeat, with more elaboration: please remember to delete as much of
>> the previous message as possible, leaving only that content that is
>> required for comprehension and context.
>Point noted. I will try to remember.

Clueful reponse noted. Please accept copious apologies for grumpy mood.

:\

I'm off out into Liverpool for the first time in quite a long while. Oh,
terror, be thou my inner strength.

-michael E
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://www.erroneous.demon.co.uk/

"I've got a fistful of money, and nothing to give." ICQ 44119217
That's all." -- KMFDM

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

> <ps...@hotmail.com> seems to write:
> >St Erroneous <isha...@erroneous.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I repeat, with more elaboration: please remember to delete as much of
> >> the previous message as possible, leaving only that content that is
> >> required for comprehension and context.
> >Point noted. I will try to remember.
>
> Clueful reponse noted. Please accept copious apologies for grumpy mood.
You've made my day. I've also found a gay link to the story..

Buford O'Neal Furrow Jr., who surrendered Wednesday, one day after killing a
postman and shooting five people, including four children, at a Jewish
community center in a suburb of Los Angeles, apparently has ties to several
groups that espouse antigay positions. Among the groups Furrow is connected
with is Aryan Nations, a neo-Nazi group based in Idaho. Furrow also has
connections to the Christian Identity movement, an extreme right-wing
philosophy that calls for the execution of gays and lesbians. A book written
by Richard Kelly Hoskins, a leading figure in the Identity movement, was
found in a van believed to have been abandoned by Furrow. "Hard-line
Identity adherents believe that in order for Christ to return to Earth, the
globe must be swept clean of satanic forces-meaning Jews, homosexuals, and a
whole laundry list of other enemies," said Mark Potok of the Southern
Poverty Law Center, a group that tracks hate organizations. "It's a religion
that demands that its followers take up the gun."

Paul

Pete Baggett

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

I didn't think it would be long before some kind of link was
unearthed. Those complaining about this threads apparant lack of
interest to uk.glb should remember that the hatred of these people
always comes as a package deal. If they hate Jews/Blacks.... etc, then
we are always somewhere on their list.

--
Pete Baggett <Wulfr...@bigfoot.com>
My Web Page:-

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

Pete Baggett <g4...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> we are always somewhere on their list.
Well, I didn't know there was any link when I posted the story. It just
seemed to be about racial hatred. I think I'm a bit more sensitive than I
used to be to some of these stories which, in the past, I may not even have
noticed.

Perhaps, because I now identify myself more clearly as being discriminated
against, I am more interested in those kinds of stories too. So, a news item
about ageism, or another form of discrimination, which is totally unrelated
to being gay, is still important.

Of course, there's also the possibility that I've suddenly become more
interested in ageism just because I'm getting older.

Paul

ps...@hotmail.com

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
California shooting suspect considered targeting gay bar

Buford Furrow Jr., who has been accused of shooting five people, including
three small children, at a Jewish day-care center and killing a
Filipino-American postal worker in a Los Angeles suburb on Tuesday,
considered targeting a gay bar in San Francisco, the Los Angeles Times
reports. Furrow, who has ties to neo-Nazi groups and to the Christian
Identity movement, which believes in the death sentence for homosexuality,
told his interrogators about his plan to attack the bar, but the
interrogators did not provide any further details to the Times. Furrow
apparently considered other targets, including the Museum of Tolerance in
Los Angeles, but was stymied by security measures. He told law enforcement
authorities that he chose the Jewish center in Granada Hills by chance.
After eluding police in Los Angeles, Furrow paid a cabbie $800 to drive him
to Las Vegas, where he surrendered on Wednesday. "I made my point," the
Times quoted him as telling authorities.

The Advocate