Play Want Bin (PWBE 29 Mar 2016)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Mar 29, 2016, 7:45:03 AM3/29/16

I really haven't the energy for a joke about the EU or Donald Trump or
Korean industry or whatever it is that's going on in Germany right now.

Play:
=-=-=

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) - Probably I'm done at this point. I've got loads
of money and lots of weaponry, and I suspect that the only thing that can
get me over the hump now is multiplayer. The biggest barrier is that 50
minutes isn't nearly enough to beat two boss monsters, even though I've
enough firepower and items to do it. Once again I'm being punished for
careful and deliberate play. In the absence of a properly organised
sandbox structure I'm probably just going to keep going back to...

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) - Ooh, I've got a giant pile of
treasure hunting targets on a mostly unticked checklist. Time to put on
the fluffy pink speed gathering gear and go assembling parts. That'll eat
up a few hours.

Wired networking (RL) - Bloody hell. $150 for a giant box of parts and
tools, and then five hours up in the loft drilling holes very, very slowly
through giant four-by-fours so I can poke the wires through. It was worth
it in the end though, as I have super duper fast server response and 20
Mbps down to the Playstation(s) for remote control purposes. What's that
mean?

Fallout 4 (PS4 via Vita) - Just for a little bit. I hate that it's
necessary to switch up the control mechanism, and I keep pressing in the
stupid analog nubs on the Vita to do whatever it is you have to do on the
DualShock. On the other hand, being able to do this from outside of the
house might end up being interesting.

Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal (3DS) - It's... surprisingly slow. Almost
leisurely in its presentation. Either that, or I've just lost a lot of
context for how it is platformers are meant to be presented these days.
Also, when did Sonic get a four-button control mechanism? What happened to
jump/double-jump/jump-dash all from one button? I am very likely not the
target audience for this game. Sadly.

Want:
=-=-=

More time (RL) - What's the line from the Star Trek movie? "The year
behind outnumber the years ahead." A younger man would have had gleefully
breathed fibreglass and sawdust and needed only a few hours to do what I
did on Sunday completely, utterly wrong and have to redo it at least
twice. I could barely lift my arms that night, much less enjoy the fruits
of my carefully thought-out labours.

Bin:
=-=

Tax season (RL) - Now that she's the wife and not just the live-in
girlfriend, we're required to file our federal tax returns much, much
differently to how we did it before. Sadly, that means I'm not allowed to
be involved because I'll likely do it wrong.

Expenditure:
=--=--=--=

Balance forward - $522

Am I counting all the network gear as a gaming expense? Nah.

-KKC, who is taking this next Friday off for all the usual reasons.
--
-- | "You think net neutrality is a bad idea? Want to control what
kendrick | Internet content loads quickly or slowly in order to monetize

Zomoniac

Mar 29, 2016, 8:22:07 AM3/29/16
On 29/03/2016 12:45, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

> Play:
> =-=-=

Sonic 2 (Master System)
Finished. Scrambled Egg zone might be the worst level in Sonic history.
Got the bad ending. Should be canon though. Fuck Tails.

Sonic Kart Transformed (Vita)
Finished. Still prefer the first one.

Mario Golf World Tour (3DS)
At least I think that's its unimaginative subtitle. There doesn't seem
to be obvious progression, so will just keep doing championships till
there doesn't appear to be anything left to do.

Not Sonic Lost World (3DS)
Because I went to play my copy but no icon appeared on my 3DS. Turned
out it was a US copy, which for DS games would please me due to nicer
boxes, but now they don't work, because Nintendo are utter cunts. As are
Music Magpie, but I can give their error more than a calculated business
decision to fuck people over.

> Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal (3DS) - It's... surprisingly slow.

Are you aware it has a run button that makes it a lot faster? But yes,
it is.

> Want:
> =-=-=

> More time (RL)

That. And VR.

> Bin:
> =-=

Region locking.

> Expenditure:
> =--=--=--=

Zero. I'm being all behaved and stuff.

--

Zo

Russell Marks

Mar 29, 2016, 9:15:27 AM3/29/16
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Play:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PS3) - very much more of the same after
Borderlands 2. Or technically, before. :-) I was already going to play
as Athena (Tales from the Borderlands made this virtually inevitable)
but was a bit surprised to find that it was actually the default.
Combined with the low-gravity stomping this changes up the combat a
little, and it's nice to have a hint of the Captain-America-style
shield-throwing action that Lego Marvel Super Heroes captured in such
a fun (if basic) way.

Hitman Go (PSV) - finished.

Picross e5 (3DS) - more of this.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Resubbing to PS+, kind of. For effectively 15 quid it'd be hard to say
it's not worth it (even if I don't get a PS4 before it ends), but I
feel like the last year I did was just *barely* worth it, and that one
cost me only slightly more.

The PSN web store saying "transaction could not be processed" when I
did that, with no indication that the subscription had worked until I
logged out and in again. With things like this and the crash-happy PS3
store, it can sometimes feel like a bit of an extreme sport buying
stuff from Sony.

That Zelda Picross apparently not having many puzzles. Maybe not a
tremendous surprise, but a bit of a shame really.

-Rus.

HarpingOn

Mar 29, 2016, 9:16:16 AM3/29/16
On 29/03/2016 12:45, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

> I really haven't the energy for a joke about the EU or Donald Trump or
> Korean industry or whatever it is that's going on in Germany right now.
>
> Play:
> =-=-=

Pokken Tournament (WiiU)

Surprisingly good. Boy wanted a fighting game and likes Pokemon so this
seemed obvious. I quite like it although my attempts at finesse are
always roundly thrashed by his manic mashing.

Shantae and the pirates curse (3DS)

I tried to like shovel knight, I really did. Got the Amiibo and
everything. Problem is, it's shit. Stupid mechanic whereby you lose your
gold permanently (assuming you can't pick it up after, which mostly I
couldn't - and the chests from which you looted it don't respawn) by
falling to your death from missing a jump to a platform you can't see is
not my idea of fun.

So enter Shantae. Similar kind of game. Colourful, bright, fun. Much
better, and it hasn't annoyed the socks off me yet, which many games
recently have been apt to do.

> Want:
> =-=-=

No Mans Sky (probably)

> Bin:
> =-=

Shovel Knight. Because reasons above.

All PS4 physical titles, since they won't stay in my PS4, no matter what
I do. Tinfoil and all. Except of course, when the shop tests the PS4
for 10 minutes, and their manky copy of FIFA 16 stays in no problem so
they send me packing. Shitty console.

deKay

Mar 29, 2016, 9:53:56 AM3/29/16
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 29 Mar
2016 06:45:02 -0500, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Kendrick Kerwin Chua
<kend...@nospam.io-nyc> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>I really haven't the energy for a joke about the EU or Donald Trump or
>Korean industry or whatever it is that's going on in Germany right now.

Scheiße porn, probably.

>Play:
>=-=-=

HYRULE WARRIORS LEGENDS (3DS)
Now, I’m a massive, massive fan of the Wii U original so when the 3DS version
was announced I was torn. On the one hand it’s the same game again, but on the
other, it’s HYRULE WARRIORS. I decided a long time ago I’d get it anyway, not
least because it contains new stuff (and unlocks new stuff in the Wii U
version), but I hadn’t expected to panic buy a download code for it the night
before release so I’d be able to play it immediately. Is it great? Yes. Yes it
is. HYRULE WARRIORS.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U)
I don’t know why I bought this. Cheap+Amiibo=Sucker? Possibly. It’s a fairly
simple and undemanding board game where each player needs an Animal Crossing
Amiibo in order to play. It’s not fantastic, but it’s decent enough to play
with my daughter.

Puggsy (MCD)
Only a few more levels this week.

Puzzle & Dragons Z (3DS)
Grindr.

>Fallout 4 (PS4 via Vita) - Just for a little bit. I hate that it's
>necessary to switch up the control mechanism, and I keep pressing in the
>stupid analog nubs on the Vita to do whatever it is you have to do on the
>DualShock. On the other hand, being able to do this from outside of the
>house might end up being interesting.

Did I miss where you got a PS4?! Add me on PSN! (deKay01)

>Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal (3DS) -

WTF. Maybe *don't* add me on PSN.

>Want:
>=-=-=

No Man’s Sky, Firewatch, Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4)
Yes, still. I know I could buy two of them now. But I also know they’ll be
cheaper soon enough.

>Bin:
>=-=

Nothing.

>Expenditure:
>=--=--=--=

Oops. Not a good week.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U) – £19.99
HYRULE WARRIORS LEGENDS (3DS) – £29.65
HYRULE WARRIORS LEGENDS 3DS/Wii U combined DLC pass – £12.23

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

MerseyMal

Mar 29, 2016, 10:56:28 AM3/29/16
In article <lb2dnVYfFMgj92fL...@giganews.com>,
kend...@nospam.io-nyc says...

> I really haven't the energy for a joke about the EU or Donald Trump or
> Korean industry or whatever it is that's going on in Germany right now.
>
> Play:
> =-=-=

Diablo 3 (PC) - the only game I felt inclined to play this weekend. My
barbarian and monk are shaping up nicely as I'm gearing them up. Been
able to handle Torment VII difficulty without breaking into a sweat with
them.

> Want:
> =-=-=

Dirt Rally (PS4) - preordered & coming soon

Camelot Unchained (PC) - kickstartered and current in alpha-testing

The Bards Tale IV (PC) - kickstartered

Rise Of The Tomb Raider (PC)

Far Cry Primal (PC)

Just Cause 3 (PC)

Witcher 3: Season Pass (PC)

Darkest Dungeon (PC) ?

Metal Gear Solid V (PC) ?

No Man's Sky (PC and/or PS4) ?

> Bin:
> =-=

Having -8.5/-9.25 shortsightedness. Paying several hundred quid so I
don't have lenses like milk bottle bottoms.

> Expenditure:
> =--=--=--=

£ 46.72 January
£ 46.75 February
+
still nothing this month

--
XBLA/PSN/Steam/Raptr/Twitter: merseymal
Guild Wars 2: MerseyMal.3921 & MerseyMal.7124

Zomoniac

Mar 29, 2016, 11:04:36 AM3/29/16
On 29/03/2016 15:56, MerseyMal wrote:

>> Bin:
>> =-=
>
> Having -8.5/-9.25 shortsightedness. Paying several hundred quid so I
> don't have lenses like milk bottle bottoms.

Or just get contacts.

--

Zo

MerseyMal

Mar 29, 2016, 11:35:55 AM3/29/16
In article <dlvjs3...@mid.individual.net>,
the_pro...@hotmail.com says...
me and contacts just don't get on.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 29, 2016, 1:12:49 PM3/29/16
MerseyMal <spa...@merseymal.com> wrote:
> In article <dlvjs3...@mid.individual.net>,
> the_pro...@hotmail.com says...

>>> Having -8.5/-9.25 shortsightedness. Paying several hundred quid so I
>>> don't have lenses like milk bottle bottoms.
>>
>> Or just get contacts.
>
> me and contacts just don't get on.

Back when I was last looking into such things they didn't go past about -8,
presumably fancier materials mean that's no longer a problem? Shame your
eyes don't like them though.

Cheers - Jaimie

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Mar 29, 2016, 3:48:53 PM3/29/16
In article <kIyKy.202572$Vw.1...@fx36.am4>,
The lens I used to wear in my right eye was something ridiculous like
-13.25, I think? Something made special for elderly astigmatism sufferers
only. My problem was I could never tell if I was wearing it properly until
hours later after the itching and bleeding had stopped. I bet that I'm
even less suited to contact lenses than Mal is.

-KKC, who has a shiny new (old) copy of Bit Trip Complete to try.

Zomoniac

Mar 30, 2016, 4:09:25 AM3/30/16
Looking at the site I order mine from, most are available from -10 to +6
or thereabouts, with a few going to -12. Not much use to KKC mind.
That's an impressive prescription.

I'm assuming Mal is paying the thin lens premium so he can fit in his VR
headset :)

--

Zo

MerseyMal

Mar 30, 2016, 4:41:33 AM3/30/16
In article <dm1ftk...@mid.individual.net>,
the_pro...@hotmail.com says...

> On 29/03/2016 18:12, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> > MerseyMal <spa...@merseymal.com> wrote:
> >> In article <dlvjs3...@mid.individual.net>,
> >> the_pro...@hotmail.com says...

> >> me and contacts just don't get on.
> >
> > Back when I was last looking into such things they didn't go past about -8,
> > presumably fancier materials mean that's no longer a problem? Shame your
> > eyes don't like them though.
>
> Looking at the site I order mine from, most are available from -10 to +6
> or thereabouts, with a few going to -12. Not much use to KKC mind.
> That's an impressive prescription.
>
> I'm assuming Mal is paying the thin lens premium so he can fit in his VR
> headset :)

Well despite not planning to get VR in the near future, I did take that
into account. ;)

Looking on websites though - from -6 onwards contacts appear stop going
up in .25 sph increments, so there's -9 and -9.5 but no -9.25 ones on
offer. Also lenses are fucking expensive esp. toroidal ones. :)

Nils Tanner

Mar 30, 2016, 4:43:55 AM3/30/16
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, Kendrick Kerwin Chua
<kend...@nospam.io-nyc> got it all completely wrong and wrote:

>Play:
>=-=-=

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC): It's simply fantastic, although
it used to be fantastic in the olden days as well, so that's not
really a huge surprise. It has aged very well indeed.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3): I think the days of Tekken are over for
me, or then this version is shit. I don't know.

Pokemon Tekken Demo (WiiU): So then I tried this. Found it extremely
confusing and switched it off again.

God of War III (PS3): Continued on my easy play through. Yay.

Undertale. It's fantastic!

Hyrule Warriors (or whatever the WiiU version is called): Got back
into this for a little while and did three battles on the adventure
map. In coop, of course.

Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3). I remembered that I don't really like tennis
games, as there's simply not enough variation in them.

>Want:
>=-=-=

A longer holiday. The easter break just showed this.

>Bin:
>=-=

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Pokemon Tekken
Virtua Tennis 3

Zomoniac

Mar 30, 2016, 4:45:07 AM3/30/16
So they do. That's annoying.

Mine are pretty cheap :) well, a tenner a month, I put them in on the
first, take them out on the 30th, and get to pretend my eyes work like a
normal person. Fortunately I'm only -4 so it's easier.

--

Zo