PWBE (PWEB or BWEP are easier to say though, right?)

deKay

Nov 21, 2016, 6:17:14 AM11/21/16
Play
----

Virginia (PS4)
Finally got round to playing this having wanted it for a while and buying it
in a sale a few weeks ago. I completed it in a single sitting, and whilst it
was very good, I’m still somewhat confused as to what was actually real and
what was a dream. I liked the film-style scene cuts, and the complete absence
of dialogue too. And it had toilets.

3D Maze Walker (3DS)
The worst game on the 3D Classics card, by a very long way. No small task,
given one of the other titles is Altered Beast. The 3D was excellent, but the
game was a boring slog from start to finish.

3D Fantasy Zone II (3DS)
The Master System one. I completed it this time! Phew.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS)
I left the best until last. With this completed, that was all 10 games in the
3D Classics Collection finished. What an awesome time I had (apart from with
Maze Walker, of course). More please, Sega. Although I know you won’t. Boo.

Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4)
It’s been a while since we played this, but my daughter and I completed it
this week. Naturally, there’s a lot more that could be done (in fact, we got
and played the free Ant-man DLC level too), but that copy of Lego Dimensions
really needs to be played…

Letter Quest Remastered (PS4)
Oh my this is great! It’s like Boggle: The RPG. Sort of. Gave it a quick go
and it sucked me in for a couple of hours. Will definitely play more of this!

Retro City Rampage DX (3DS)
Back on it. I do like it, it’s just I often forget it’s there and load up
Pokémon Y instead. Speaking of which…

Pokémon Y (3DS)
Some more of this. Mainly Wonder Trading all my dupes away. It’s surprisingly
relaxing playing this, you know.

Want
----

Is it worth listing them again? Zelda (Switch), Sonic Mania (Switch), Pokémon
Sun (3DS), Paper Mario (Wii U) and a Switch. Actually, Shenmue 3 is under a
year away now, I’ve realised. So that too!

Bin
---

3D Maze Walker. Urgh.

Expense
-------

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) – £5
Sonic the Hedgehog Level Pack for Lego Dimensions – £5

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 21, 2016, 6:44:08 AM11/21/16
In article <jnl53clvtrnql97a8...@4ax.com>,
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>Play
>----

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - And nothing else, sadly. I only figured
out on Sunday that Villager requests related to item delivery are
fulfilled with the housekeeper and not in-person with each requestor.
That's confusing and opaque. And I wasn't motivated strongly to figure it
out sooner because I only ever use meal recipes related to gunner buffs,
so I don't feel strongly about unlocking new food types. I imagine now
that the rest of the group not playing MH has stopped reading actively,
and will only be jolted into attention if I randomly insert words that
have nothing to do the with the game, like 'frilly lace panties' or 'nude
patch' or 'Trump-branded DLC'.

>Want
>----
>
>Is it worth listing them again? Zelda (Switch), Sonic Mania (Switch), Pok?mon
>Sun (3DS), Paper Mario (Wii U) and a Switch. Actually, Shenmue 3 is under a
>year away now, I?ve realised. So that too!

I'm not sure what my enthusiasm level for Shenmue 3 is at this point. I
threw money at the Kickstarter, but in a lot of ways I'm not the same sort
of gamer I was fifteen years ago. Hell, I'm not even the same kind of
gamer I was when I threw money at the Kickstarter.

>Bin
>---

Nothing game-related. It's a Yank Bank Holiday this coming Thursday and
Friday, so I expect to get riled up about something again during that
time.

>Expense
>-------

Balance forward - $1,693

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3) - $6

Total year-to-date - $1,699

-KKC, who applies the New York neighbourhood rule and gets 'PlaWaBinEx'.
--
-- "If I hear the phrase 'mirror neurons' I | kendrick
swear to God I will flip this table." - | @

Zomoniac

Nov 21, 2016, 8:17:05 AM11/21/16
On 21/11/2016 11:16, deKay wrote:
> Play
> ----

I had a productive weekend.

Until Dawn (PS4)
Finished. Scary. I like it. A lot shorter than everyone said, but I
don't really mind that.

Rock Band Rivals (XO)
Finished. Fun enough. Not really sure it warrants being a £22 expansion
though.

The Wolf Among Us (PS4)
Started and finished. Very good indeed.

Sonic Spinball (MD)
Got this for Christmas in 1993. Finished for the first time on Saturday.
Joys of quick save.

Starwing (SNES)
Started and finished. Doesn't really hold up, but then it was never
going to. An interesting curio, at least.

Journey (PS4)
Started and finished. Flawless.

Gone Home (PS4)
Started and finished. Thought I was being very thorough with everything,
but since I got no trophies beyond finish the game, apparently not.

> Want
> ----

Titanfall 2.

> Bin
> ---

Being unlikely to get another game-filled weekend like this again for
another year or two.

> Expense
> -------

Nothing.

--

Zo

Russell Marks

Nov 21, 2016, 8:32:51 AM11/21/16
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

> Play

Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3) - it's probably just because it's the
only deathmatchy shooter I have immediately playable on anything right
now, but I do keep coming to back to this.

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - got that thunder weapon maxed, and
also got all S ranks on the (proper) arena quests. I still have a
number of the arena challenge quests to do yet (and S ranks on those
probably won't be happening, it's A-only for me so far).

> Want

To get back to Letter Quest Remastered.

Amusingly, I think I'll actually be wanting the CoD4 port when I get a
PS4 - albeit only for multiplayer.

> Bin

Activision probably putting off the inevitable unbundled release of
that port for (at least) several months yet.

-Rus.

HarpingOn

Nov 21, 2016, 9:44:25 AM11/21/16
On 21/11/2016 13:32, Russell Marks wrote:

> Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - got that thunder weapon maxed, and
> also got all S ranks on the (proper) arena quests. I still have a
> number of the arena challenge quests to do yet (and S ranks on those
> probably won't be happening, it's A-only for me so far).

I did one of those at the weekend dressed in a bathrobe ! Um.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 21, 2016, 9:54:29 AM11/21/16
In article <e9gfi7...@mid.individual.net>,
Does the Bath Towel armour come in an S variant, perhaps with more
decoration slots? The female version of that armour is surprisingly
modest, and I find it weird that any gear based on bone or Tetsucabra
parts shows off more skin. I imagine that the Bath armour must have some
unique skill unlock that you can't get with charms or gems, because
nothing is just a joke in Monster Hunter.

-KKC, who remembers people in the PS2 version playing with no armour.

Toby Newman

Nov 21, 2016, 10:08:03 AM11/21/16
On 2016-11-21, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>Want
>>----
>>
>>Is it worth listing them again? Zelda (Switch), Sonic Mania (Switch), Pok?mon
>>Sun (3DS), Paper Mario (Wii U) and a Switch. Actually, Shenmue 3 is under a
>>year away now, I?ve realised. So that too!
>
> I'm not sure what my enthusiasm level for Shenmue 3 is at this point. I
> threw money at the Kickstarter, but in a lot of ways I'm not the same sort
> of gamer I was fifteen years ago. Hell, I'm not even the same kind of
> gamer I was when I threw money at the Kickstarter.

It's OK, they've updated Shenmue 3 to be more suited to today's gamer.
It's going to be a f2p infinite runner with in-app purchases.
Oh, no, of course not because that would be ridiculous.

--
-Toby

Toby Newman

Nov 21, 2016, 10:08:03 AM11/21/16
> Play
> ----

Google Earth VR (Vive)
Actually made me cry; didn't expect that.
Cardiff is in 3D so I was able to walk from the town centre to my old
front door, all at human scale. What's strange is that looking down
from above I couldn't work out where I used to live, but dropping to
human-scale fired up a different part of my memory and allowed me to
navigate home. Derby's also in 3D so I'm looking forward to walking
around my old uni haunts and reviving some memories.

The Last Window (DS)
I picked this up and found my save was from August 2015. I can barely
remember what's going on, despite having flicked through the story
summary. I need to prove to Frank Raver that I'm related to Gregory
but no amount of inventory brute-forcing has done it for me so far.

Pokemon Go (ios)
I'm level 18. Same old, same old.

SoundStage (VR)
I found that I could build maraca-controlled synths and then hand off
one controller to my son and we could have a jam, him in RL, me in VR.
That was pretty dope.

Brought my Vive into work and popped some VR cherrys. That was fun.

> Want
> ----

The Bitmap Bros book.

Doom 3 VR (PC)
The mod's just come out so I'm probably going to pick up Doom 3 BFG to
check it out. Wish they'd add teleport but I won't hold my breath.

> Bin
> ---

360 degree cameras not being very good yet. I'd like one for Christmas
but it just seems a little early looking at their output. I think I
can do better with Google Photosphere.

Zomoniac

Nov 21, 2016, 10:42:00 AM11/21/16
I think he was more objecting to the fact that it isn't Monster Hunter ;)

--

Zo

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 21, 2016, 10:53:43 AM11/21/16
In article <e9giu6...@mid.individual.net>,
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what my enthusiasm level for Shenmue 3 is at this point. I
>>> threw money at the Kickstarter, but in a lot of ways I'm not the same sort
>>> of gamer I was fifteen years ago. Hell, I'm not even the same kind of
>>> gamer I was when I threw money at the Kickstarter.
>>
>> It's OK, they've updated Shenmue 3 to be more suited to today's gamer.
>> It's going to be a f2p infinite runner with in-app purchases.
>> Oh, no, of course not because that would be ridiculous.
>
>I think he was more objecting to the fact that it isn't Monster Hunter ;)

Join us. We have instanced online cooperative multiplayer events. And sponge cake.

-KKC, who adds the inside joke that yes, it is immature sponge cake.

hurricanepilot

Nov 22, 2016, 8:20:02 AM11/22/16
Toby Newman wrote:

>> Play
>> ----

> Google Earth VR (Vive)
> Actually made me cry; didn't expect that.

No crying here, but it's certainly emotion inducing when you stand
somewhere you've never been and look at it as you might never do in
real life.

My home is a pancake still. Might model up my house and submit it just
to start things off ;o)

The level of detail in some of the USA landmarks is fantastic. They're
clearly flying google branded photo-copters all over death valley and
around the grand canyon.

Was surprised that human scale was turned off by default. Turning that
on and standing on a road in the middle of Hong Kong was awesome. The
Las Vegas strip was less impressive.

I also played:

Accounting (Vive) :

Proper funny and incredibly pointless. Loved it.

Audio Shield (Vive) :

This is still just a little bit disapointing. It's fun, but it misses
just enough of the rhythm of a song to be off-putting.

Technobabylon (PC) :

Finished this up. Liked the story and most of the puzzles, but it's not
quite as well put together as a whole as the first couple of scenes are
in isolation.

Planet Coaster (PC) :

I cleared down my wishlist of all the crap that I've been ignoring even
though it's been on sale five times, leaving about 15 or 20 things that
are either on the way, or have been released and I don't want to miss. I
then manually bubble-sorted them and this was at the top when I'd
finished, so I bought it. It's really good, but it's a bit easy in terms
of making money - it's definitely aimed at people that want a theme-park
tycoon game from a designer's perspective, rather than a manager's.

The soundtrack is amazing.

>> Want
>> ----

I think I want Watch Dogs 2

> Doom 3 VR (PC)
> The mod's just come out so I'm probably going to pick up Doom 3 BFG to
> check it out. Wish they'd add teleport but I won't hold my breath.

Having fiddled with the confort mode for flying in google eartch VR, I
can really see the benefit that the tunnel-vision gives you during
abnormal locomotion. Does the mod do this at all?

>> Bin
>> ---

Nothing much.

Nils Tanner

Nov 22, 2016, 8:36:00 AM11/22/16
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, deKay
<an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> got it all completely wrong and wrote:

>Play
>----

Hyrule Warriors. Made some progress on the Master Quest map. And shall
continue to do so.

Paper Mario the new one on the WiiU. I realised that my wife didn't
need her save, so I took her NNID and started a new game. For about 25
minutes or so. Lovely presentation, but the game is.... well. Dare I
say shit? And I loved the older Paper Mario games. BUt this is... I
might give it another try one day, but...

Phoenix Wright. Still on Case 2 day 1, although the speed picks up a
bit.

>Want
>----

A proper and good Paper Mario. And more time to play games.

>Bin
>---

Maybe Paper Mario.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 22, 2016, 10:30:56 AM11/22/16
In article <o11gku$ef7$1...@dont-email.me>, hurricanepilot <h@g.c> wrote:
>Toby Newman wrote:
>
>>> Play
>>> ----
>
>> Google Earth VR (Vive)
>> Actually made me cry; didn't expect that.
>
>No crying here, but it's certainly emotion inducing when you stand
>somewhere you've never been and look at it as you might never do in
>real life.
>
>My home is a pancake still. Might model up my house and submit it just
>to start things off ;o)
>
>The level of detail in some of the USA landmarks is fantastic. They're
>clearly flying google branded photo-copters all over death valley and
>around the grand canyon.
>
>Was surprised that human scale was turned off by default. Turning that
>on and standing on a road in the middle of Hong Kong was awesome. The
>Las Vegas strip was less impressive.

I have mixed feelings about this. As an American, I'm not thrilled about
the idea that all this data is being stored ad infinitum, to the point
that all it takes to case a robbery target now is a VR headset. As a
student of history, I wonder how often the data is updated and at what
point something is considered authoritative.

Imagine if these images were used to represent something that no longer
exists, like the slums of Kowloon or the Berlin Wall. Or the empty deserts
around Mecca that are now obscured by dozens of hotels. Or the solid floor
of ice that used to sit on top of what's now being called the Northwest
Passage. Or Hadrian's Wall. Or the library at Alexandria.

Our world is ever-changing and we will, of course, make a record of it as
it is now so that we can compare it to the world as it will be. But
something rubs me the wrong way about preserving the world right now as a
reference point, in such exacting detail. I worry that the things we lose
may not be valued correctly if they're always present in steroscopic
polygons that you can almost touch. I worry that the things that have to
change, in order to accommodate a shifting world, will be accepted too
slowly when we can always dial up an image of how it used to be. A VR
Earth of such granular detail seems, to me, much more dangerous than the
writings of Herodotus or the camerawork of Attenborough. I'm not saying
that it's a bad thing to have, I'm just very afraid to touch it.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably worried about nothing and
that I don't really understand what I'm talking about. But historically,
to be able to record everything about a civilisation is also to see its
end clearly.

-KKC, who is happy cheery fun time guy today.

hurricanepilot

Nov 22, 2016, 11:59:24 AM11/22/16
Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

>>> Google Earth VR (Vive)
>>> Actually made me cry; didn't expect that.
>>
>>No crying here, but it's certainly emotion inducing when you stand
>>somewhere you've never been and look at it as you might never do in
>>real life.
>>
>>My home is a pancake still. Might model up my house and submit it just
>>to start things off ;o)
>>
>>The level of detail in some of the USA landmarks is fantastic. They're
>>clearly flying google branded photo-copters all over death valley and
>>around the grand canyon.
>>
>>Was surprised that human scale was turned off by default. Turning that
>>on and standing on a road in the middle of Hong Kong was awesome. The
>>Las Vegas strip was less impressive.
>>

> I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably worried about nothing and
> that I don't really understand what I'm talking about. But historically,
> to be able to record everything about a civilisation is also to see its
> end clearly.

Is the end not already clear enough? Professor Hawkings can't stop
banging on about it, and he's an actual wizard.

I get where your concern is coming from, but I think it's a bit
misplaced in terms of what's actually being presented by something like
this. The earth and it's many inhabitants and structures is changing
constantly, and at a rate that is now, and will always be, far in
excess of our ability to catalog it at a resolution that matters.

This is just posh photography.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 22, 2016, 12:35:51 PM11/22/16
In article <o11tg8$vru$1...@dont-email.me>, hurricanepilot <h@g.c> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

<snip my long rambling bit about hyper-realistic VR geography)

>> I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably worried about nothing and
>> that I don't really understand what I'm talking about. But historically,
>> to be able to record everything about a civilisation is also to see its
>> end clearly.
>
>I get where your concern is coming from, but I think it's a bit
>misplaced in terms of what's actually being presented by something like
>this. The earth and it's many inhabitants and structures is changing
>constantly, and at a rate that is now, and will always be, far in
>excess of our ability to catalog it at a resolution that matters.
>
>This is just posh photography.

Photographs are anchors. In the right proportion and implementation, they
mark where we've been and they also point the way forward. Too few of them
and we risk repeating ourselves, and in the case of certain journeys and
certain wars we've already made that mistake many times. But too many is
just as dangerous, in that the anchors threaten to fix our view on a
composed and unchanging idealism. You see that in a television show that
runs on for too many episodes, or a holiday snapshot slideshow that never
seems to end.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. But here in this new and uncertain
western world, I see a great resistance to moving forward coupled with a
manic urge to document and to tally up everything about right now. Diners
who send images of their supper to Instagram, Youtube presenters who chase
acclamation and subscribers in the name of advertising revenue, and
consumers who claim every last IP reboot from Power Rangers to
Ghostbusters has ruined that static and fixed sense of perfection.

I hope this is just garden variety hunger, rather than crippling
existentialism. Let's see how I feel after some General Tso's chicken.

-KKC, who is dissatisfied with the level of spice in this here chicken.

hurricanepilot

Nov 23, 2016, 4:36:21 AM11/23/16
I think you're conflating the documentation of the apocalypse with the
documentation of personal events somwhwat, but I understand your
perspective and for the most part share it.

However, the overwhelming majority of traffic in the areas you call out
is of no consequence whether it's seen or not. The stuff that matters
and which probably warrants a more considered touch is still being
given that...in my opinion. I highly doubt that there's much of an
intersect between people that post pictures of spaghetti and people
that document the hard truths, and I doubt there ever will be.

I'm still working on how that applies to google earth vr and in which
part of the venn diagram the developers reside... :-/

I also suspect that, due to the nature of the discussion, we're talking
around a point, rather than about one. ;o)

> I hope this is just garden variety hunger, rather than crippling
> existentialism. Let's see how I feel after some General Tso's chicken.

> -KKC, who is dissatisfied with the level of spice in this here chicken.

My wife has, over the years, immunised me to spices to the point where I
can barely eat a thing that doesn't have hot-sauce on it...

Check my instagram if you don't believe me...

Toby Newman

Nov 23, 2016, 5:50:03 AM11/23/16
On 2016-11-22, hurricanepilot <h@g.c> wrote:
>>> Want
>>> ----
>
>> Doom 3 VR (PC)
>> The mod's just come out so I'm probably going to pick up Doom 3 BFG to
>> check it out. Wish they'd add teleport but I won't hold my breath.
>
> Having fiddled with the confort mode for flying in google eartch VR, I
> can really see the benefit that the tunnel-vision gives you during
> abnormal locomotion. Does the mod do this at all?

I don't think the Doom 3 VR mod uses any of the comfort features of
Google Earth VR but I agree with you that they work wonderfully well.
Google Earth is the first time I've really felt comfortable using
traditional locomotion in VR; it's a great implementation.

Toby Newman

Nov 23, 2016, 6:00:02 AM11/23/16
On 2016-11-22, hurricanepilot <h@g.c> wrote:
> Toby Newman wrote:
>
>>> Play
>>> ----
>
>> Google Earth VR (Vive)
>> Actually made me cry; didn't expect that.
>
> No crying here, but it's certainly emotion inducing when you stand
> somewhere you've never been and look at it as you might never do in
> real life.
>
> My home is a pancake still. Might model up my house and submit it just
> to start things off ;o)

My home is a low-res pancake. The next town is at least a high-res
pancake.

> The level of detail in some of the USA landmarks is fantastic. They're
> clearly flying google branded photo-copters all over death valley and
> around the grand canyon.

Oh wow I hadn't thought of the Grand Canyon, will definitely check
that out.

> Was surprised that human scale was turned off by default. Turning that
> on and standing on a road in the middle of Hong Kong was awesome. The
> Las Vegas strip was less impressive.

Human Scale reveals a lot of flaws so I can understand why they turned
it off. I'm glad they gave it as an option though!

Toby Newman

Nov 23, 2016, 6:00:03 AM11/23/16
On 2016-11-23, hurricanepilot <h@g.c> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. But here in this new and uncertain
>> western world, I see a great resistance to moving forward coupled with a
>> manic urge to document and to tally up everything about right now. Diners
>> who send images of their supper to Instagram, Youtube presenters who chase
>> acclamation and subscribers in the name of advertising revenue, and
>> consumers who claim every last IP reboot from Power Rangers to
>> Ghostbusters has ruined that static and fixed sense of perfection.
>
> I think you're conflating the documentation of the apocalypse with the
> documentation of personal events somwhwat, but I understand your
> perspective and for the most part share it.

Astronauts talk about changed perspective when they look back on the
earth. Seeing the earth in Adr1ft didn't do that for me. Seeing the
earth in Google Earth VR did, because I knew I could zoom down and
look at the red Camaro parked outside someone's house. Being able to
take in that breadth of information with your eyes gave me a mixture
of vertigo, wonder, and a bunch of other stuff I can't explain.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Nov 24, 2016, 7:10:26 PM11/24/16
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:16:40 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk>
wrote:

>Letter Quest Remastered (PS4)
>Oh my this is great! It’s like Boggle: The RPG. Sort of. Gave it a quick go
>and it sucked me in for a couple of hours. Will definitely play more of this!

If anyone ever played Bookworm, it's like that - and even more like
Bookworm Adventures but also rather better. Neither are available on iOS
any more, and the old apps die on current OS, boo. Loads of semi-clones
available, one of which is this.

Anyway, it's great! Solid gameplay and really nicely judged in terms of
additional features and upgrade progress. I have put six or more hours
into this so far, three-starring most events (out of four) and still
haven't hit the end of the campaign mode. I've managed one 9 letter word
and a few dozen 8s, but yet to reach the dizzy heights of "conveyancing"
that I got in Popcap fifteen years ago around the time I was buying our
house.

Otherwise,
The Division (PS4) - PMG with Niaz/Jon/Gus, still solid. Managed to play
after the half-hour PSN DDOS that happened just as we were firing up the
game...

Erm, that's it.

Want:
Nothing this year, although I'd love to have the spare time to get into
Titanfall2. Ain't gonna happen.

Bin:
Lack of time. Also our '02 plate car, which now needs replacing. Sigh.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
panic("Foooooooood fight!");
-- /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1542.c