Grand Designs: radiant window heating?

John Stumbles

Mar 12, 2009, 6:42:28 PM3/12/09
Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American stimulant
bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?

--
John Stumbles

87.5% of statistics are made up

Bob Minchin

Mar 12, 2009, 6:51:11 PM3/12/09
John Stumbles wrote:
> Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
> window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
> league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
> infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American stimulant
> bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
> not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?

Details here http://www.iqglass.co.uk/catalogue/

I only had half an eye on the programme and missed details of the heating.

Bob

OG

Mar 12, 2009, 7:59:49 PM3/12/09

"Bob Minchin" <nos...@falseaddress.com> wrote in message

Triple glazed (on that house), metal oxide coating on the inside pane with
making them sufficiently conductive to act as radiant heaters from the glass
surface. Mains power bus bars in the frames carry current to the glass and
into the metal oxide surface where heat is generated. A special coating on
the outer pane reflects the Infra Red radiation back into the room

Claimed heating is 20% cheaper than the 'equivalent alternative', but I'm
not sure what that is - possibly oil or electric heating as the houser seems
to be in a village so may not be on mains gas.

Presumably by heating the glass you reduce draughts caused by cooling
against the glass - so you can get by with a lower air temperature.

What surprised me was that the actual house itself didn't seem to have any
kind of privacy at all, as there was no sign of blinds or curtains on any of
the windows. Presumably putting a curtain over the heating system would be
inefficient, so I'm not sure how you would combine the heating with
curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
fun.

Rod

Mar 13, 2009, 3:16:40 AM3/13/09
OG wrote:
<>
> Triple glazed (on that house), metal oxide coating on the inside pane with
> making them sufficiently conductive to act as radiant heaters from the glass
> surface. Mains power bus bars in the frames carry current to the glass and
> into the metal oxide surface where heat is generated. A special coating on
> the outer pane reflects the Infra Red radiation back into the room
>
> Claimed heating is 20% cheaper than the 'equivalent alternative', but I'm
> not sure what that is - possibly oil or electric heating as the houser seems
> to be in a village so may not be on mains gas.
>
> Presumably by heating the glass you reduce draughts caused by cooling
> against the glass - so you can get by with a lower air temperature.
>
> What surprised me was that the actual house itself didn't seem to have any
> kind of privacy at all, as there was no sign of blinds or curtains on any of
> the windows. Presumably putting a curtain over the heating system would be
> inefficient, so I'm not sure how you would combine the heating with
> curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
> problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
> fun.

Good description of the heating. But you forgot 'delivered late' and
'expensive'.

Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 13, 2009, 3:30:47 AM3/13/09
In article <71ufirF...@mid.individual.net>,

Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
> houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
> dark room?

The dreadful acoustics would probably be the cause of the migraine...

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

mogga

Mar 13, 2009, 4:43:23 AM3/13/09
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:59:49 -0000, "OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk>
wrote:

>curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
>problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
>fun.

And bird strike! Bound to be chaos all that reflection. We have the
odd pigeon crash into our windows and it makes a right old noise. I
think only one has died from the impact though.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Bruce

Mar 13, 2009, 5:16:48 AM3/13/09
"OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:

>What surprised me was that the actual house itself didn't seem to have any
>kind of privacy at all, as there was no sign of blinds or curtains on any of
>the windows. Presumably putting a curtain over the heating system would be
>inefficient, so I'm not sure how you would combine the heating with
>curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
>problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
>fun.

This is surprisingly common with the houses featured in "Grand Designs".
I've seen two with liquid crystal glass that could be obscured at the
touch of a switch, but many people featured in the programme seem to
want rooms with no curtains.

Bruce

Mar 13, 2009, 5:20:42 AM3/13/09
Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
>houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
>dark room?

You go to one of the partly underground houses featured in the series,
the one with insufficient illumination from too few light tubes. ;-)

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 13, 2009, 5:49:59 AM3/13/09
In article <o37kr4d8iof1nhqe1...@4ax.com>,

mogga <d...@NOSPAMPLEASEmogga.com> writes:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:59:49 -0000, "OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
>>problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
>>fun.
>>

> And bird strike! Bound to be chaos all that reflection. We have the
> odd pigeon crash into our windows and it makes a right old noise. I
> think only one has died from the impact though.

Parent's dining room has two large windows either side of a corner,
and about once a year, something tries to fly right through.
Pigeons make one hell of a bang when they do it, and I think it's
always resulted in a broken neck. First couple of times, it was
rather alarming -- a really loud bang which we had no idea what
it was, and on going to investigate, there's this ghostly image
of a large bird in full flight on the window glass, and a dead
bird on the ground. The image on the glass is a perfect imprint
in what looks like white flour dust of the whole bird with wings
outstretched -- you can make out all the feathers and the body.
Most bizzare.

Smaller birds usually survive, and after a few minutes on the
ground with stars going round their heads, they take off again.

--
Andrew Gabriel

RobertL

Mar 13, 2009, 6:08:50 AM3/13/09
On Mar 12, 11:59 pm, "OG" <o...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:
> "Bob Minchin" <nos...@falseaddress.com> wrote in message

> > John Stumbles wrote:
> >> Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
> >> window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
> >> league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
> >> infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American
> >> stimulant
> >> bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
> >> not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?
>
> > Details herehttp://www.iqglass.co.uk/catalogue/

> > I only had half an eye on the programme and missed details of the heating.
>
> > Bob
>
> Triple glazed (on that house), metal oxide coating on the inside pane with
> making them sufficiently conductive to act as radiant heaters from the glass
> surface. Mains power bus bars in the frames carry current to the glass and
> into the metal oxide surface where heat is generated. A special coating on
> the outer pane reflects the Infra Red radiation back into the room
>
> Claimed heating is 20% cheaper than the 'equivalent alternative',  but I'm
> not sure what that is - possibly oil or electric heating as the houser seems
> to be in a village so may not be on mains gas.
>
> Presumably by heating the glass you reduce draughts caused by cooling
> against the glass - so you can get by with a lower air temperature.

I thought they claimed the windows had a very low U value somehow
because of this electric heating. Was this a misunderstanding (by us
or them) or is it possible, for example, that by heating the inner
pane you remove the downward convection air flow on the inside and
thus reduce the heat transfer?

Robert

OG

Mar 13, 2009, 7:50:45 AM3/13/09

From what I understand, the U value is inherently low for the glazing
units (multiple glazing with IR reflecting layer on the outer pane, and
krypton gas filled gaps). So much so that the internal pane of glass can
heat the air inside, whilst still meeting standards for Building Regs
Part L.

With this arrangement, heat transfer at the windows will be from pane
/into/ the air, thus eliminating cold draughts from the windows.

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 13, 2009, 8:45:10 AM3/13/09
In article <71uvktF...@mid.individual.net>,

OG <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> writes:
> From what I understand, the U value is inherently low for the glazing
> units (multiple glazing with IR reflecting layer on the outer pane, and
> krypton gas filled gaps). So much so that the internal pane of glass can
> heat the air inside, whilst still meeting standards for Building Regs
> Part L.
>
> With this arrangement, heat transfer at the windows will be from pane
> /into/ the air, thus eliminating cold draughts from the windows.

I wonder if the heater automatically switches off when SHMBO
flings the window open? ;-)

I guess you might arrive home to find an electrocuted burglar
halfway through breaking in :-)

Steve Firth

Mar 13, 2009, 9:25:26 AM3/13/09
John Stumbles <john.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
> window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
> league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
> infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American stimulant
> bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
> not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?

I saw it and wondered what the point was. If the house had curtains the
heating would be useless. I also can't see in what way electric heating
makes sense or that the heated windows are more efficient than
underfloor heating. Electric U/F heating would have been a doddle to
install if you don't mind the costs.

There are other unobtrusive heating designs such as heated skirting
board (water filled radiatiors), and underfloor heating using ceramic
tiles to spread the heat evenly. Systems which use water to transfer
heat seem to me to have the advantage that the owner can make their own
decisions about what sort of heat source to use as events change.

i.e. use gas/oil at present, but consider a heatbank + woodburner +
solar, if electric heating works out to be more economical (say if
fusion power ever appears) then put in an electric boiler.

Mike

Mar 13, 2009, 10:47:36 AM3/13/09

Only because they have spent so much on their barmy projects they
can't afford any curtains.

I can't help thinking the one this week would have been much better
with plasterboard on the walls and carpet on the floor. That kitchen
they chucked in was crude and cheap looking. I've got better looking
units in my shed.

fred

Mar 13, 2009, 10:54:46 AM3/13/09
In article <49ba2c47$0$509$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>, Andrew Gabriel
<and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <o37kr4d8iof1nhqe1...@4ax.com>,
> mogga <d...@NOSPAMPLEASEmogga.com> writes:
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:59:49 -0000, "OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
>>>problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
>>>fun.
>>>

>> And bird strike! Bound to be chaos all that reflection. We have the
>> odd pigeon crash into our windows and it makes a right old noise. I
>> think only one has died from the impact though.
>
>Parent's dining room has two large windows either side of a corner,
>and about once a year, something tries to fly right through.
>Pigeons make one hell of a bang when they do it, and I think it's
>always resulted in a broken neck. First couple of times, it was
>rather alarming -- a really loud bang which we had no idea what
>it was, and on going to investigate, there's this ghostly image
>of a large bird in full flight on the window glass, and a dead
>bird on the ground. The image on the glass is a perfect imprint
>in what looks like white flour dust of the whole bird with wings
>outstretched -- you can make out all the feathers and the body.
>Most bizzare.

Friends abroad have a couple of mid sized silhouettes of birds of prey
in flight stuck on theirs, don't know how effective they are at
frightening flying birds away from the windows or if they are available
here.

David
--
fred

OG

Mar 13, 2009, 12:04:45 PM3/13/09
John Stumbles wrote:
> Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
> window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
> league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
> infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American stimulant
> bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
> not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?

What surprised me more was that there is clear air between the two
levels, as the upper floor was suspended on a steel frame above the roof
of the ground floor.

Why??
Kevin McCloud said this was so that it appeared 'floating' over the
fields, but at what cost (other than £685,000 of course!)?

chris French

Mar 13, 2009, 12:39:18 PM3/13/09
In message <409kr4hhppo6bqikf...@4ax.com>, Bruce
<n...@nospam.net> writes

Fair enough, I don't really like curtains, I put with them (and in a
Victorian house with single glazed windows and such they are useful) ,
but if I was building my own that might be a different matter.

I suspect they often have some discrete blinds.

Certainly some of them have had such things.
--
Chris French

Rod

Mar 13, 2009, 2:57:46 PM3/13/09
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <71ufirF...@mid.individual.net>,
> Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
>> houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
>> dark room?
>
> The dreadful acoustics would probably be the cause of the migraine...

Good point... :-)

Bruce

Mar 13, 2009, 4:32:20 PM3/13/09
OG <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:

>What surprised me more was that there is clear air between the two
>levels, as the upper floor was suspended on a steel frame above the roof
>of the ground floor.
>
>Why??
>Kevin McCloud said this was so that it appeared 'floating' over the
>fields, but at what cost?

<snip>

The cost of heating what becomes a room effectively with six external
walls?

Doctor Drivel

Mar 13, 2009, 5:48:30 PM3/13/09

"RobertL" <rober...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If the room is superinsulated, the heat loss is minimal, and heat
requirements minimal. Having these radiant windows will eliminate a massive
cold front and bridge, the windows...and provide enough heat to heat the
room.

Arthur 51

Mar 13, 2009, 6:30:23 PM3/13/09

"John Stumbles" <john.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

These dippy Grand Design owners build these houses for 1 reason.
They haven't got anything to talk about.
So by building such a pretentious pile of crap they will have something to
talk
to about to each other for about 3 years. After which they will discover
that they hate living in it.
Any friends that have will quickly become ex-friends because after their
friends have visited them
and endured 3 hours of the 2 prattling twats showing off......
Imagine listening to someone for hours going on about .. "We wanted it all
to flow...
We wanted to create a particular ambience...
The fusion of baroque and art nuvoue was Charle's idea...or was it mine
darling ?. ...aha it doesn't matter because
we're so in love with our home....
Then another 3 hours of cack and shite.....

[fuming]

Arthur

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 14, 2009, 3:47:40 AM3/14/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> saying
something like:

>Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
>houses -

So I've noticed. YAGB - yet another glass box; I haven't bothered
watching a few of the last several progs once I saw what was being
served up, save popping back into the prog for a look at the halfway or
threequarter mark to see if anything interesting had transpired (it
hadn't).

>where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
>dark room?

Why would an exhibitionist need to?

Andy Burns

Mar 14, 2009, 8:51:50 AM3/14/09
Bruce wrote:

> many people featured in the programme seem to
> want rooms with no curtains.

Shock horror! Exhibitionists want to appear on TV.

Andy Burns

Mar 14, 2009, 8:55:33 AM3/14/09
OG wrote:

> What surprised me more was that there is clear air between the two
> levels, as the upper floor was suspended on a steel frame above the roof
> of the ground floor.

Yes, apart from whatever warm air makes it upstairs through the tubular
staircase, the heat from downstairs can't benefit the upstairs.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 14, 2009, 9:07:04 AM3/14/09
In article <8u6dnXFzluPNNSbU...@posted.plusnet>,

The majority of these designs seem to be built for the views they get -
and aren't overlooked. A few have had blinds built in to the windows which
aren't obvious when open. Others might be the same.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Bruce

Mar 14, 2009, 9:25:58 AM3/14/09

That's true. Everyone is entitled to their 15 minutes of fame but these
people want the whole hour. plus follow-up programmes, plus repeats.

;-)

Andy Burns

Mar 14, 2009, 10:41:59 AM3/14/09
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> The majority of these designs seem to be built for the views they get -
> and aren't overlooked. A few have had blinds built in to the windows which
> aren't obvious when open. Others might be the same.

If you can afford the plot then fine, this week's one was hardly
overlooked but there were neighbouring houses in view, such that I'd be
a bit bashful wandering out of bed to get to the shower.

Doctor Drivel

Mar 15, 2009, 8:19:03 AM3/15/09

"Arthur 51" <pan...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "John Stumbles" <john.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Someone was telling me about a Grand Designs where they'd put in radiant
>> window heating. Never heard of it before and it sounds firmly in the
>> league of containers for beverages of Asian-sub-continental herbal
>> infusions constructed of confections of sweetened South American
>> stimulant
>> bean-based plant extracts. But it was apparently Belgian, which might (or
>> not) explain it. Anyone see it, have any more info?
>>
>> --
>> John Stumbles
>>
>> 87.5% of statistics are made up
>
> These dippy Grand Design owners build these houses for 1 reason.
> They haven't got anything to talk about.

You are nuts. They think them through very well and do the calulations to
suite.

You are obviously an aficionado of Ned Ludd.

No doubt you have an avocado bathroom suite and carpet on the toilet seat.