Teletype or Facit 4070

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 9:27:28 AM2/13/12
Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering dust
and needing re-homing?

Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!

AWEM

Roger Mills

Feb 13, 2012, 9:51:53 AM2/13/12
Blimey - that takes me back a few decades! Must have been in the 1970's
that I last used punched paper tape. We had a manual punch for computer
cards, but I don't remember ever seeing one for paper tape - the tapes
were invariably punched by the computer.

In those days, if the tape contained ASCII data, I could hold it up to
the light and tell you what it said.

What are you using it for?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 10:20:46 AM2/13/12
"Roger Mills" wrote in message news:9psm9m...@mid.individual.net...

>On 13/02/2012 14:27, Andrew Mawson wrote:
>> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering
>> dust and needing re-homing?
>>
>> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!
>>
>> AWEM
>
>Blimey - that takes me back a few decades! Must have been in the 1970's
>that I last used punched paper tape. We had a manual punch for computer
>cards, but I don't remember ever seeing one for paper tape - the tapes were
>invariably punched by the computer.
>
>In those days, if the tape contained ASCII data, I could hold it up to the
>light and tell you what it said.
>
>What are you using it for?

Well I'm not unless I can find one !!!!!

Backing up parameters in a Fanuc 6M control used in a 1985 Fanuc Tape Cut
Model M wire EDM machine that happens to be sitting in my garage and being
polished!! Parameters are held in Bubble Memory (remember that?) which I
need to remove.

AWEM

Paul D Smith

Feb 13, 2012, 10:22:37 AM2/13/12
> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!
>
> AWEM

Tried the Science Museum or the computer dept. of the nearest
well-established Uni? You might find an enthusiastic nerd only too happy to
try getting ye olde hardware working again. Would make a good YouTube video
seeing it run!

20+ years ago I could have had a go myself as my lab. had a PDP-11 and we
still had a paper tape system, not that we used it in the 4 years I was
there.

Paul DS.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Liquorice

Feb 13, 2012, 10:27:19 AM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:27:28 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering
> dust and needing re-homing?

How many bits? I can do(*) 5 bit as per telex machines. I am *NOT*
parting company with my Creed 444.

(*) Well the machine hasn't been powered up for rather a long time
but unless the grease/oil has solidified it should work provided the
80-0-80v PSU stilll does. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Bill

Feb 13, 2012, 10:59:52 AM2/13/12
In message <9psoeg...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>On 2012-02-13, Paul D Smith <paul_d...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!
>>>
>>> AWEM
>>
>> Tried the Science Museum or the computer dept. of the nearest
>> well-established Uni?
>
>Or better still, these people;
>
>http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm

I was just about to suggest the same, they are a very "interesting"
group. I was over there a couple of weeks back and I'm sure one of the
guys had leather patches on the elbows of his jumper.

--
Bill

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 13, 2012, 11:18:52 AM2/13/12
In article <9psoeg...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
I offered them a hand-built acoustic coupler dating to the mid-70s a
while ago but they weren't interested. No interest on Ebay, and got
some muppet asking whether it spoke Bell 103 or V21 (!)

Still have the blasted thing as I can't bring myself to throw it out.

http://jasper.org.uk/coupler

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2012, 11:54:56 AM2/13/12
Has nobody ever designed an interface to more recent gear, after all the
data might have had to be taken out at some point. I find it hard to believe
nobody else has tried this.
Brian

Email: bri...@blueyonder.co.uk

"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 12:19:42 PM2/13/12
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
Well that's more replies than I expected!!!

a/ Bletchley Park ... sshh I used to work there!
b/ Leather Patches on elbows - what's wrong with that - very 'green' !
c/ Mikes acoustic coupler - I had a very similar one that I wound up to 300
baud - great improvement on 110 from a Teletype
d/ Four years ago I gave away a KSR33 with only 7.5 hours on the clock -it
went to a west country museum - forgotten where exactly
e/ 8 bit tape I'm afraid
f/ Yes there are devices called 'BTRs - Behind the Tape Reader' that emulate
the readers signals for input. One on the US ebay at the moment but £500
!The Fanuc 6M is a bit odd in it's firmware in that although there is an
RS232 port that is bi-directional, using it it can only load program memory
up to it's full capacity (documented in feet of paper tape) then execute it
when loaded, whereas the tape reader can read a theoretical infinite amount
of data which gets executed as it is read - this is necessary for large
chunks of code generated by modern CAM software.

AWEM

David WE Roberts

Feb 13, 2012, 2:02:18 PM2/13/12

> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering dust
> and needing re-homing?
>
> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!

Try http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/.
If they don't have it, then they may know where to get one.

If you chance across the Resurrection Bulletin Editor then mention my name
and no doubt you will be roundly insulted ;-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 2:22:01 PM2/13/12
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message news:9pt530...@mid.individual.net...

>"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering dust
>> and needing re-homing?
>>
>> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!
>

>Try http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/.
>If they don't have it, then they may know where to get one.
>
>If you chance across the Resurrection Bulletin Editor then mention my name
>and no doubt you will be roundly insulted ;-)
>
>Cheers
>
>Dave R

Thanks for that link, the next meeting sounds very interesting:

The Ferranti Argus Process Control Computer
in London
Thu 16th Feb @ 14:00

As I happened to work for Ferranti in London for 25 years on Argus Process
Control Computers !!!!

AWEM

Steve Firth

Feb 13, 2012, 2:27:28 PM2/13/12
Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
[snip]

>> We had a manual punch for computer
>> cards, but I don't remember ever seeing one for paper tape

There's one in a glass case, about two floors down from where I am working.

> We edited all our source on ASR-33s;

Me too, then we upgraded to Olivettis then Newbury terminals with "massive"
4kB of RAM.

Nthkentman

Feb 13, 2012, 2:29:22 PM2/13/12

"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering dust
> and needing re-homing?
>
> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!

You might ask here and see if it leads you anywhere useful
http://www.cnczone.com/

David WE Roberts

Feb 13, 2012, 2:35:17 PM2/13/12

"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message
My background was in programming and system support of ICL System 4, 2900
VME/B, then 296x DME 1900 emulation.
A very rare move back from hexadecimal to octal - it took us a while to work
out where 8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F had all gone :-)

Then they invented the IBM PC...........

Bob Eager

Feb 13, 2012, 2:45:15 PM2/13/12
It's a pain that the meetings are on Thursdays....it's the one day I
*have* to be at work! I keep missing good stuff.

Remember seeing a couple of Arguses back in 1974, at the CEGB control
centre in London.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Bob Eager

Feb 13, 2012, 2:46:26 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:35:17 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> My background was in programming and system support of ICL System 4,
> 2900 VME/B, then 296x DME 1900 emulation.
> A very rare move back from hexadecimal to octal - it took us a while to
> work out where 8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F had all gone

LOL!

Never used VME/B, but suffered VME/K for three years until we dumped it
in favour of something more functional and reliable. Our 2960 wasn't up
to running VME/B.

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 13, 2012, 3:21:23 PM2/13/12
In article <kLSdnXptxLdSgKTS...@bt.com>,
cross-posting to uk.comp.vintage

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 13, 2012, 3:21:34 PM2/13/12
In article <1985875618350846200.793129%steve%-mallo...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> writes:

> Me too, then we upgraded to Olivettis then Newbury terminals with "massive"
> 4kB of RAM.

Still got a Newbury NL7009 somewhere, and all the servicing manuals.
Last time I turned it on (probably 10 years ago), it was rather dim.
The thing which killed them was failure of the Brimar tube driving
modules, which were unobtainable. Various other things did go wrong
(such as the PSU rectifier diodes blowing), but they were easily
fixed.

Got a Cifer 2634 too, which was working fine last time I tried it,
and also a Cifer 2684 which could run CP/M in its own right, although
the floppy disk drive is head-crashed on this one, and I don't have
any of the CP/M disks, but I think it still works as a terminal.

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 3:37:13 PM2/13/12
"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:9pt7ib...@mid.individual.net...

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:22:01 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:
>
>> "David WE Roberts" wrote in message
>>>

>>>"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message

>Remember seeing a couple of Arguses back in 1974, at the CEGB control
>centre in London.

Yes Bob, they were my responsibility! There were actually three - the A & B
suites and a Model L programme development machine. Originally equipped with
Bryant Drum stores, we upgraded them to Burroughs 2Mb disks ! two hundred
tracks with a read head per track and average latency of 17mSec. Heads
loaded onto the surface of the disk with compressed air. The interface from
the A suite also traversed the B and vice versa, with 'highway switching
units' (305 way double pole switching!!!!) allowing either suite to take
over the others peripherals. Cutting edge for its time.

AWEM

Andy Champ

Feb 13, 2012, 4:19:28 PM2/13/12
On 13/02/2012 19:46, Bob Eager wrote:
> Never used VME/B, but suffered VME/K for three years until we dumped it
> in favour of something more functional and reliable.

Oi! De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est!

You probably dumped K about the time it _was_ getting reliable.

Back to the tape - surely all you need is one of the old manual punches,
which being a DIY person could be made.

Like this:

http://www.the-manors.co.uk/vintage-papertape.shtml

Andy

Bob Eager

Feb 13, 2012, 4:35:13 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:19:28 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

> On 13/02/2012 19:46, Bob Eager wrote:
>> Never used VME/B, but suffered VME/K for three years until we dumped it
>> in favour of something more functional and reliable.
>
> Oi! De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est!
>
> You probably dumped K about the time it _was_ getting reliable.

No, we dumped it when they did a major re-jig and removed some vital
features that were essential to us.

We had a rollong MTBF of 20 hours for that system. Within a year, with
the new operating system, it was just over 2000 hours!

Bob Eager

Feb 13, 2012, 4:36:42 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:37:13 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

>>Remember seeing a couple of Arguses back in 1974, at the CEGB control
>>centre in London.
>>
> Yes Bob, they were my responsibility! There were actually three - the A
> & B suites and a Model L programme development machine.

Yes, we were actually shown all three. At thew time they were building
security doors to the building...

> Originally
> equipped with Bryant Drum stores, we upgraded them to Burroughs 2Mb
> disks ! two hundred tracks with a read head per track and average
> latency of 17mSec. Heads loaded onto the surface of the disk with
> compressed air. The interface from the A suite also traversed the B and
> vice versa, with 'highway switching units' (305 way double pole
> switching!!!!) allowing either suite to take over the others
> peripherals. Cutting edge for its time.

It was very interesting...it was an IEE visit. Bet you can't get in there
these days.

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 13, 2012, 4:44:05 PM2/13/12
In article <9pssqm...@mid.individual.net>,
Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes:
> On 2012-02-13, Bill <Bi...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <9psoeg...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
>>>http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm
>>
>> I was just about to suggest the same, they are a very "interesting"
>> group.
>
> I donated all my old computer kit to them a couple of years ago.

Tony Sale had several 6V8G beam tetrode valves from me for Colossus.

I tried offering a working Tektronics 4012, but they had no space
for it (it was early days when it wasn't really up and running),
so unfortunately it got scrapped.

I have a working GEC 4160 minicomputer which will probably go there
when I let go of it. (I now have an emulator of it fully working.)

Jules Richardson

Feb 13, 2012, 4:54:39 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:20:46 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:
>>What are you using it for?
>
> Well I'm not unless I can find one !!!!!
>
> Backing up parameters in a Fanuc 6M control used in a 1985 Fanuc Tape
> Cut Model M wire EDM machine that happens to be sitting in my garage and
> being polished!! Parameters are held in Bubble Memory (remember that?)
> which I need to remove.

Where are you located?

Spitting the data out via serial to a more modern PC might be the best
approach - while I don't think that finding an establishment which has
the kit is going to be a problem, finding anyone who'll let you borrow it
is another matter entirely (and I assume that your machine is too big/
heavy to move?)

There were plenty of ASR33s at Bletchley (the NMoC side, not the park as
a whole) when I worked there, and I remember Facit punches too, but not
which models.

I remember bubble memory - there never was much of it about; very
uncommon stuff!

cheers

Jules

> AWEM

dennis@home

Feb 13, 2012, 5:33:32 PM2/13/12

"Jules Richardson" <jules.richa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I remember bubble memory - there never was much of it about; very
> uncommon stuff!

I remember bubble memory.. it was cr@p.
The bubbles used to wander off the chevrons and even duplicate themselves.
Then there were sense amps where the charge built up in the substrate
causing them to fail out in the field only to work perfectly when you got
them back to test.
I got rid of them and replaced them with cards of extended refresh DRAM and
batteries.
It made System X five times faster.

The only thing good about it was the ability to erase it by putting current
through the erase coil.

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 5:35:48 PM2/13/12
"Andy Champ" wrote in message

>On 13/02/2012 19:46, Bob Eager wrote:
>> Never used VME/B, but suffered VME /K for three years until we dumped it
>> in favour of something more functional and reliable.
>
>Oi! De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est!
>
>You probably dumped K about the time it _was_ getting reliable.
>
>Back to the tape - surely all you need is one of the old manual punches,
>which being a DIY person could be made.
>
>Like this:
>
>http://www.the-manors.co.uk/vintage-papertape.shtml
>
>Andy

...er ..cough ... I have one just like that, AND the sticky 'all holes'
patches to splice tapes !

AWEM

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 5:38:42 PM2/13/12
"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:9pte3a...@mid.individual.net...

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:37:13 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:
>
>>>Remember seeing a couple of Arguses back in 1974, at the CEGB control
>>>centre in London.
>>>
>> Yes Bob, they were my responsibility! There were actually three - the A
>> & B suites and a Model L programme development machine.
>
>Yes, we were actually shown all three. At thew time they were building
>security doors to the building...
>
>> Originally
>> equipped with Bryant Drum stores, we upgraded them to Burroughs 2Mb
>> disks ! two hundred tracks with a read head per track and average
>> latency of 17mSec. Heads loaded onto the surface of the disk with
>> compressed air. The interface from the A suite also traversed the B and
>> vice versa, with 'highway switching units' (305 way double pole
>> switching!!!!) allowing either suite to take over the others
>> peripherals. Cutting edge for its time.
>
>It was very interesting...it was an IEE visit. Bet you can't get in there
>these days.

Those security doors were actually supposed to be nuclear blast doors, same
things closed across all the windows as well. I'm sure they'd let you in now
as it's all been split up and move to Wokingham & St Albans !!!!

AWEM

Andrew Mawson

Feb 13, 2012, 5:42:03 PM2/13/12
"Jules Richardson" wrote in message news:jhc0qv$1i0$1...@dont-email.me...
Sadly the RS232 is not an option due to oddities in the Fanuc 6 firmware the
relevant way is only the tape reader / punch which are a proprietary non
standard parallel implementation

AWEM

dennis@home

Feb 13, 2012, 5:49:03 PM2/13/12

> Sadly the RS232 is not an option due to oddities in the Fanuc 6 firmware
> the relevant way is only the tape reader / punch which are a proprietary
> non standard parallel implementation

Can you feed the outputs into an I/O board on a PC and pretend to be a paper
tape?

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 13, 2012, 5:51:57 PM2/13/12
Probably have to build a board. Wasn't that interface a current loop?

Bob Eager

Feb 13, 2012, 7:01:23 PM2/13/12
Ah, now you need two nuclear bombs!

Andrew Mawson

Feb 14, 2012, 3:38:05 AM2/14/12
"dennis@home" wrote in message
Yes Denis that is one option. I've been looking at the Arduino Max2560 which
gives me ample ttl level outputs and also the benefit of USB input - but
it's yet another project to knuckle down to and learn!

AWEM

Paul D Smith

Feb 14, 2012, 4:00:21 AM2/14/12
> Yes Denis that is one option. I've been looking at the Arduino Max2560
> which gives me ample ttl level outputs and also the benefit of USB input -
> but it's yet another project to knuckle down to and learn!

Admittedly we're computer nerds but my colleagues who've played with Arduino
tell me its a doddle if you understand 'C' programming.

Paul DS

Another Dave

Feb 14, 2012, 4:43:15 AM2/14/12
David WE Roberts wrote:

> My background was in programming and system support of ICL System 4,
> 2900 VME/B, then 296x DME 1900 emulation.

That's going back a bit. I used to teach System 4 Assembler and the 5E
and 5J operating systems at Kidsgrove. I left when ICT took over English
Electric (1967?) and they tried to move me darn sarf.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx

The Other Mike

Feb 14, 2012, 5:46:23 AM2/14/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:20:46 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote:

>Backing up parameters in a Fanuc 6M control used in a 1985 Fanuc Tape Cut
>Model M wire EDM machine that happens to be sitting in my garage and being
>polished!! Parameters are held in Bubble Memory (remember that?) which I
>need to remove.

Wouldn't it be easier to donate the Fanuc to a museum, and use a PC
with EMC2 ?

Andrew Mawson

Feb 14, 2012, 5:58:25 AM2/14/12
"The Other Mike" wrote in message
Wouldn't get much edm wire cutting done that way!

AWEM

mark

Feb 14, 2012, 7:54:54 AM2/14/12

> >>Backing up parameters in a Fanuc 6M control used in a 1985 Fanuc Tape Cut
> >>Model M wire EDM machine that happens to be sitting in my garage and being
> >>polished!! Parameters are held in Bubble Memory (remember that?) which I
> >>need to remove.

> AWEM

We have backups of all parameters from our Fanuc 6`s taken with a
laptop and a simple comms programme.
Unless it`s an older Fanuc 6A which is doubtful in 1985 there should
be no need for punched tape.
We have a Facit punch and a teleprinter but they`re not needed.
Beside the tape reader there are usually two sockets,one being RS 232.

Andrew Mawson

Feb 14, 2012, 8:09:23 AM2/14/12
"mark" wrote in message
Mark,

It's also a DNC/Drip feeding issue of CAM generated code larger than the
memory of the machine. The 6M cannot drip feed from the RS232 only from the
tape reader, so it's either produce it on tape or find a BTR (behind taper
reader) unit for less than the 500 squid people are asking!

AWEM

mark

Feb 14, 2012, 8:53:09 AM2/14/12
On Feb 14, 1:09 pm, "Andrew Mawson"
The OP was for downloading parameters.

Jules Richardson

Feb 14, 2012, 9:54:30 AM2/14/12
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 05:53:09 -0800, mark wrote:
>> It's also a DNC/Drip feeding issue of CAM generated code larger than
>> the memory of the machine. The 6M cannot drip feed from the RS232 only
>> from the tape reader, so it's either produce it on tape or find a BTR
>> (behind taper reader) unit for less than the 500 squid people are
>> asking!
>>
>> AWEM
>
> The OP was for downloading parameters.

Feature-creep :-)

Bob Eager

Feb 14, 2012, 10:43:12 AM2/14/12
I was just going to suggest an Arduino...

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 14, 2012, 11:24:53 AM2/14/12
In article <9psth8...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes

>They took all my stuff. (Several Beebs, a PDP-11/23+, a Sinclair ZX80,
>couple of early Sun SPARCstations, couple of Xerox 820s and a VT100, along
>with software and manuals for all of it.)

Oh, ok. This was admittedly several years ago and they did say at the
time they didn't have space (though it's hardly big!). I'll try again.

Chap from Canada emailed me a while ago to ask if I knew anyone who
would take his SuperBrain, but it would cost more to ship to the UK than
it was worth.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Andrew Mawson

Feb 14, 2012, 11:37:18 AM2/14/12
"Jules Richardson" wrote in message news:jhdsj6$ia9$3...@dont-email.me...
More for simplification really as the majority of readers of the group will
not be into the intricacies of ancient CNC machines <G>

AWEM

Jules Richardson

Feb 14, 2012, 2:29:39 PM2/14/12
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:24:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

> In article <9psth8...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
> <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>
>>They took all my stuff. (Several Beebs, a PDP-11/23+, a Sinclair ZX80,
>>couple of early Sun SPARCstations, couple of Xerox 820s and a VT100,
>>along with software and manuals for all of it.)
>
> Oh, ok. This was admittedly several years ago and they did say at the
> time they didn't have space (though it's hardly big!). I'll try again.

Did you try contacting Bletchley Park, or the National Museum of
Computing? (http://www.tnmoc.org)

It's NMoC on the same site that you really want (and I remember meeting
Huge when he dropped all his stuff off). The Park as a whole do own a
handful of machines, but I don't know how good they are at passing on
offers of stuff to the NMoC side (relations in the past have at times
been rather political and strained :-)

> Chap from Canada emailed me a while ago to ask if I knew anyone who
> would take his SuperBrain, but it would cost more to ship to the UK than
> it was worth.

Hmm, I'm in northern Minnesota these days, not too far from the Canadian
border; I might be interested if he still has it, as shipping to me might
be an option depending on where he is (sadly it's the road portions of
shipping that are the expensive bit, so it may well be almost as
expensive to get it to me as it would be all the way to the UK).

cheers

Jules
Message has been deleted

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 15, 2012, 8:55:48 AM2/15/12
In article <9q197c...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes

>That was a really good day - getting a demo of Colossus, seeing the bombe
>and having a wander round afterwards. Make little cold feet stamp up and
>down my spine - this is *Station X*!! Alan Turing worked *here*!!!!

Signed up as a member at BP last year but not yet managed to make it
down there. These photos of the Bombe are fantastic:

http://www.jharper.demon.co.uk/bombe2.htm

You may or may not be aware that 2012 is Turing's centenary year:

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/turing2012/

I'll be attending this lecture next week:

http://www.jasper.org.uk/TuringLecture.pdf

Just finished reading Robert Harris's 'Enigma' in which Turing is only a
peripheral figure. Not a very good book but it goes give one quite a
vivid mental image of what it must have been like working at Bletchley
Park.

M.

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 15, 2012, 8:59:18 AM2/15/12
In article <jhecn3$lmv$1...@dont-email.me>, Jules Richardson <jules.richard
sonne...@gmail.com> writes

>Did you try contacting Bletchley Park, or the National Museum of
>Computing? (http://www.tnmoc.org)

I can't remember. I actually went through someone else - Dave Moore,
who ran the Stairway to Hell BBC software website.

>It's NMoC on the same site that you really want

ta.

>Hmm, I'm in northern Minnesota these days, not too far from the Canadian
>border; I might be interested if he still has it

I'll dig out the email tonight and ask him if he still has it, if so,
can pass on your email address if you wish and you can sort it out
direct with him.

Jules Richardson

Feb 15, 2012, 9:54:52 AM2/15/12
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:38:04 +0000, Huge wrote:
>> It's NMoC on the same site that you really want (and I remember meeting
>> Huge when he dropped all his stuff off
>
> Blimey, was dat yoo?

Indeed :)

> That was a really good day - getting a demo of Colossus, seeing the
> bombe and having a wander round afterwards. Make little cold feet stamp
> up and down my spine - this is *Station X*!! Alan Turing worked
> *here*!!!!

Yeah, it's a good place - I do rather miss it. The politics would get
more than a little frustrating, though! I think there were only ever 4
Colossi in H Block (perhaps it was 6) - but there were something like 10
in F Block (which stood where the grassy area below 'H' is. Must have
been a very interesting place in its heyday.

cheers

Jules

Message has been deleted

Bob Eager

Feb 15, 2012, 4:52:00 PM2/15/12
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:55:48 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

> In article <9q197c...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
> <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>
>>That was a really good day - getting a demo of Colossus, seeing the
>>bombe and having a wander round afterwards. Make little cold feet stamp
>>up and down my spine - this is *Station X*!! Alan Turing worked
>>*here*!!!!

Yes....I've been there many times and it still gets to me.

> Signed up as a member at BP last year but not yet managed to make it
> down there.

Been a member for 15 years now.

> Just finished reading Robert Harris's 'Enigma' in which Turing is only a
> peripheral figure. Not a very good book but it goes give one quite a
> vivid mental image of what it must have been like working at Bletchley
> Park.

try reading 'Cryptonomicon'; Turing even turns up there for a bit, and
it's a great book although not much BP in it.

Bob Martin

Feb 16, 2012, 3:00:26 AM2/16/12
in 1106786 20120215 215200 Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:55:48 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> In article <9q197c...@mid.individual.net>, Huge
>> <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>>
>>>That was a really good day - getting a demo of Colossus, seeing the
>>>bombe and having a wander round afterwards. Make little cold feet stamp
>>>up and down my spine - this is *Station X*!! Alan Turing worked
>>>*here*!!!!
>
>Yes....I've been there many times and it still gets to me.
>
>> Signed up as a member at BP last year but not yet managed to make it
>> down there.
>
>Been a member for 15 years now.
>
>> Just finished reading Robert Harris's 'Enigma' in which Turing is only a
>> peripheral figure. Not a very good book but it goes give one quite a
>> vivid mental image of what it must have been like working at Bletchley
>> Park.
>
>try reading 'Cryptonomicon'; Turing even turns up there for a bit, and
>it's a great book although not much BP in it.

Amazon.uk only offers the German edition for the Kindle, but I suppose
I could use the practice!

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 16, 2012, 2:57:10 AM2/16/12
En el artículo <9q2no0...@mid.individual.net>, Bob Eager
<news...@eager.cx> escribió:

>try reading 'Cryptonomicon'; Turing even turns up there for a bit, and
>it's a great book although not much BP in it.

Thanks for the recommend - looking on Amazon now.

--
(\_/)

The Other Mike

Feb 16, 2012, 4:33:01 AM2/16/12
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:58:25 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote:

>"The Other Mike" wrote in message
>>
>>On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:20:46 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
>><andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Backing up parameters in a Fanuc 6M control used in a 1985 Fanuc Tape Cut
>>>Model M wire EDM machine that happens to be sitting in my garage and being
>>>polished!! Parameters are held in Bubble Memory (remember that?) which I
>>>need to remove.
>>
>>Wouldn't it be easier to donate the Fanuc to a museum, and use a PC
>>with EMC2 ?
>>
>>--
>Wouldn't get much edm wire cutting done that way!

I meant dump the controller for something a bit more modern.

Bob Eager

Feb 16, 2012, 11:25:17 AM2/16/12
I bought mine long before the Kindle...!

Andrew Mawson

Feb 16, 2012, 11:31:25 AM2/16/12
"The Other Mike" wrote in message
It's a very capable controller and entirely adequate for the job.
Implementing a four axis retrofit on something as specific as a wire edm
machine is significantly more complex than, say, a 3 axis mill with a rotary
4th axis. Not only do you have to consider the linear motion of the axis but
also the control of the current source which is 'servo' in the sense of
feedback to the control, and the brake system that applies varying tension
to the wire dependant on cutting characteristics.

AWEM

hitechr...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2014, 8:24:59 AM2/6/14
On Monday, 13 February 2012 09:27:28 UTC-5, Andrew Mawson wrote:
> Anyone know of a Teletype or a Facit 4070 paper tape punch gathering dust
>
> and needing re-homing?
>

> Yes I need to punch some paper tape !!
>

> AWEM

not sure if you are still interested but I just got one in. Adam 416 9906140

Jim K

Feb 6, 2014, 8:27:20 AM2/6/14
go on, thrill us - how much $?

Jim K

supa.r...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2014, 8:27:23 AM2/6/14
If anyone is interested, I have a Telex 4070 sitting in my office that's in excellent physical condition. I'm in Toronto Canada 416-636-7420

supa.r...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2014, 10:55:03 AM2/6/14
Hey Jim.
I actually have no idea what this is worth, I stumbled upon this message board while researching what the heck this unit is. Feel free to make me an offer and I can run it by my boss.

Cheers Joe.
Message has been deleted

supa.r...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2014, 11:03:03 AM2/6/14