Problem with Belling oven - not heating - help sought

geedee

Mar 14, 2011, 11:10:44 AM3/14/11
The Subject:
Belling Optima 590 (aka XOU590) built-in electric dual oven.

The symptoms:
Both ovens stopped working last night - no heat.
BUT - the dual grill in the top smaller oven continues to work.
The lights on the oven control panel do not light up and the oven fan does
not come on.

So Far:
I have pulled out the oven and removed a small plate at the back.
This exposes the electric distribution bits.
Also visible is a small circuit board (purpose unknown). It looks OK -
nothing obviously fried.
The board says it is a PEKTRON 1997 and has an OMRON CONTACT mounted on it.
Also a large resistor (??) R3.
Looking into the ovens I can see the thermostats (but not the heating
elements!!). I have no idea where they are - sides? bottom?

Given all of the above I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to
proceed. Likely causes?
I have reasonable competence with electrics.

Thank you

GD.

Tim Downie

Mar 14, 2011, 11:40:52 AM3/14/11

Um, it's not something simple like the ovens not working because the clock
needs resetting? Our fan oven won't turn on after a power cut until the
clock has been reset. The grill isn't affected because it can't be timer
operated.

Tim

Mr Pounder

Mar 14, 2011, 12:03:45 PM3/14/11

"Tim Downie" <timdow...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

That has happend twice to me.

geedee

Mar 14, 2011, 5:48:01 PM3/14/11

"geedee" <gerd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
UPDATE:
Local experts suggest the cooker is in AUTO mode and hence ovens don't
operate. Makes sense.
BUT when I power on the cooker now the timer blinks at 00:00 and the AUTO
light also blinks.
The manual tells me I must first set the TOD clock.
But I can't! Pressing the buttons has no effect.
So some part of the timer/electronic controls is shot?
Which part? and where might it be located?

GD

Tim Downie

Mar 15, 2011, 7:04:32 AM3/15/11
geedee wrote:

> UPDATE:
> Local experts suggest the cooker is in AUTO mode and hence ovens don't
> operate. Makes sense.
> BUT when I power on the cooker now the timer blinks at 00:00 and the
> AUTO light also blinks.
> The manual tells me I must first set the TOD clock.
> But I can't! Pressing the buttons has no effect.

On mine you have to press and hold two different buttons before the clock
setting buttons work. (2nd & 3rd buttons from left IIRC). Your's might be
similar.

Tim

John

Mar 16, 2011, 11:14:13 AM3/16/11

On my Electrolux I can only set the clock if the power has been turned
off for a sew seconds.

geedee

Mar 18, 2011, 2:37:27 PM3/18/11

"geedee" <gerd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Solution:

Timer was shot. Repalced it and both ovens back working again.

Just might be of help to a passer-by :)

GD

petercle...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 4:53:10 AM7/27/16
Well done, the large oven was working but our favourite wasn't. Timer was flashing so reset it and problem solved. Good job from Australia!

tabb...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 5:29:45 AM7/27/16
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 09:53:10 UTC+1, petercle...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well done, the large oven was working but our favourite wasn't. Timer was flashing so reset it and problem solved. Good job from Australia!

I'm sure he appreciates your comments 5 years later. You need this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Newsgroup_access_tips

NT

Chris B

Jul 27, 2016, 5:55:34 AM7/27/16
There is a certain irony there, a lot of the news servers listed on that
page have long since died, and the links are dead.

--
Chris B (News)

John Rumm

Jul 27, 2016, 6:11:38 AM7/27/16
You do get this whole wiki concept?

Feel free to fix problems as you find them!

--
Cheers,

John.

tabb...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 6:32:19 AM7/27/16
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 11:11:38 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> On 27/07/2016 10:55, Chris B wrote:

> >> I'm sure he appreciates your comments 5 years later. You need this:
> >> http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Newsgroup_access_tips
> >>
> > There is a certain irony there, a lot of the news servers listed on that
> > page have long since died, and the links are dead.
>
> You do get this whole wiki concept?
>
> Feel free to fix problems as you find them!

Maybe we need a specific homo nerds hub page. Maybe I'll start one later.

NT

tabb...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 6:39:18 AM7/27/16

John Rumm

Jul 27, 2016, 8:50:14 AM7/27/16
In this particular case the OP did not appear to be a home owners hub
user...