Help finding the ceiling joists.

Angel De Vicente

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Hi all,

I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
this DIY stuff.

I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
strong enough).

The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
far worse that I thought).

Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
they are running!).

Thanks,
- Angel de Vicente Garrido -
- Department of Artificial Intelligence. Edinburgh University -
- http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/daidb/people/students/9605767.html -

Bernie Hayden

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

I'm no expert either, but a couple of things you could try (sorry about long
message):

1 How do you know which way the joists run? This must help you find the
position.

2 If the ceiling is plasterboard panels, the chances are that if you look
closely enough you'll see the joins. The joins would be directly under
joists as the edges of the boards would need to be fixed into the joists.
If you can't see any joins at all, it was either done by a real expert or
you've actually got lath and plaster.

3 You can get a fairly cheap battery operated 'detector' from B&Q etc, which
you pass across the ceiling and it will beep when it goes over a nail or
pipe. The one I've got makes a different beep when passing over electric
cables - worth knowing for obvious reasons! I think some of them detect
joists too.

4 If there's no difference in the knocking sound, are you sure you haven't
got a suspended ceiling, ie a 'false' one hanging down from an original
higher ceiling. If so it won't be strong enough for your airer.

5 Failing all else, can you lift a floorboard upstairs and take a look?

Bernie Hayden

Kim Carter

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,

Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
> this DIY stuff.
>
> I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
> screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
> strong enough).
>
> The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
> can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
> that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
> tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
> directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
> far worse that I thought).

3 suggestions -

1 - Go to the room above, lift floorboards and measure
2 - Use a joist/studding detector (available from eg B&Q and many other places)
3 - Use a metal/pipe detector (available as above) or a magnet to detect the
nails holding the plasterboard up

Kim

nightjar

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote in article
<359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>...

> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).

You can get stud and joist detector units at most DIY stores. They work
fine on plain plasterboard, but are less effective (or even totally
useless) on lath and plaster and plasterboard with thick decorative
finishes.

One way to find joists is with a piece of bent wire. An old wire coat
hanger is fine. You bend it into a U shape, but with a square base to the
U. The two legs should be about 9" long and of equal length. The base of
the U should be similar, but does not need to be exactly equal to the other
two. You drill a small hole in the plasterboard. If you hit wood, move over
about 6" and try again - you might be right on the edge of the joist. Pass
the bent wire up through the hole so that the one leg is above the ceiling,
the base passes through the hole, and the other leg lies under and parallel
to the ceiling and lies along the length of the joists. Now rotate the wire
slowly in the hole until the upper leg hits the side of a joist. You can
mark this position on the ceiling from the end of the other leg. You now
have one edge of one joist. You will usually find that the other joists are
spaced at 16" (400mm) centers and are about 2" (50mm) wide, so finding the
other joists should be easy.

Nightjar

Angel De Vicente

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Thanks for the replies so far. Some extra information and some queries:

1) The idea of lifting floorboards above is not possible. Mine is a top
flat in a flat roof building.

2) Are there any `multi-detectors' that will help me to detect joist,
cables, pipes, etc., instead of buying separate ones?

3) Bernie Hayden wrote:

>2 If the ceiling is plasterboard panels, the chances are that if you look
>closely enough you'll see the joins. The joins would be directly under
>joists as the edges of the boards would need to be fixed into the joists.
>If you can't see any joins at all, it was either done by a real expert or
>you've actually got lath and plaster.

That would be great, but a couple of weeks ago (when I didn't plan to
put the airer) I covered the ceiling with one of these polytirene veneer
(sorry the wrong? spelling), so now I see the edges of the veneer, but
not of the plasterboard :-(

>4 If there's no difference in the knocking sound, are you sure you haven't
>got a suspended ceiling, ie a 'false' one hanging down from an original
>higher ceiling. If so it won't be strong enough for your airer.

I must admit I'm not sure whether it is a suspended ceiling or not, but
I doubt it. There where no obvious T-joins or anything like that.
Besides, the kitchen guys put an extractor to the roof, and although I
did not look carefully, the distance to the roof (to the open world, I
mean) seemed fairly small (30-40 cm?).

4) Hugh Davies wrote:

>Do what I do. Drill 126 holes in the ceiling in a line across where a joist
>aught to be. :o(

I thought about that, but certainly doesn't look very appealing :-(
Although I may end doing it unless I find some other way!

Thanks again,

mil...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,

Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).

Tried and trusted method:

go to outside wall that is running parallel to the joists.
first measure approx 3 inches from the wall, then measure
every 16 inches along ( perpendicular to joist dir) until
you come to the area you are interested in then stick a
bradawl through the plasterboard. Either it keeps going
or it hits wood. Theronin keep moving an inch along and try
again. Fill the small holes later on with polyfiller.

Just be gentle and it won't be too bad...

Jon

Barren Fluffit.

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Angel De Vicente wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the replies so far. Some extra information and some queries:
>
> 1) The idea of lifting floorboards above is not possible. Mine is a top
> flat in a flat roof building.

Wimp. Flat roofing's not so tough ! :0)

> 2) Are there any `multi-detectors' that will help me to detect joist,
> cables, pipes, etc., instead of buying separate ones?

Yes but try to practise with it elsewhwere to get the sensitivity right.

> That would be great, but a couple of weeks ago (when I didn't plan to
> put the airer) I covered the ceiling with one of these polytirene veneer
> (sorry the wrong? spelling), so now I see the edges of the veneer, but
> not of the plasterboard :-(

And I guess it doesn't respond to filling that well either.

Is the light fitting screwed into a joist ?

Rick Hughes

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98
to Angel De Vicente
If you really cant find by tapping and dont have a detector ( never
bought one myself )
Then get the smallest drill bit .. 1/16 th or smaller, drill a hole ..
move 3" .. keep doing this till you find a joist.

A pain but I have had to use this method more than once, and 1/16 holes
are very easy to fill, and ceilings were being painted anyway.

Rick

Angel De Vicente wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
> this DIY stuff.
>
> I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
> screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
> strong enough).
>
> The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
> can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
> that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
> tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
> directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
> far worse that I thought).
>

> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).
>

> Thanks,

vcard.vcf

Mark Roberts

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>, Angel De Vicente
<ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> writes

Go upstairs, lift carpet etc and look for nails in chipboard/floor
covering. Measure disance from wall and note which direction they're
going in; they'll follow the joist u c.
Go downstairs and measure from the wall and mark the ceiling.
With a bradawl push up through the plasterboard in 3 places 1" apart
either side of the mark (in a line at right angles to the joist
direction). At least one of the holes will be on the joist and from this
you can work out where the joist is and where its edges are (assuming a
2" joist).
This will stop you loading up the dryer with 25 pounds of wet clothes
and it crashes down because you screwed it into the last 2mm at the edge
of the joist :-)
Polyfilla the other holes.
--
Mark

David Pickles

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

When faced with this problem myself, my solution was to
marry a doctor and send her up a stepladder with her
stethescope. Highly effective, but some people might find
this course of action a little drastic...

David

In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,

Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).

Mungo Henning

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

Further points:
1) Note that hitting wood is not sufficient (I agree with the
method that Rick gave, but...) Make sure that your fitting is in
the centre of the two-inch joist, not just clipping an edge of
it. (You've drilled six holes so far, another couple won't matter :-)

2) Be careful of mains cables clipped to the joist (someone may have
mentioned this already). Being equally guilty of ignoring this as
others may be, I must have a guardian angel looking over me who
deflected my cable-searching (using the steel tape measure approach)
for the light cable away from the nest of connections... gulp! :-o

Mungo

Ally McDonald

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

In article <6n81o6$sg5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
no.spam.t...@bigfoot.com says...

> When faced with this problem myself, my solution was to
> marry a doctor and send her up a stepladder with her
> stethescope. Highly effective, but some people might find
> this course of action a little drastic...

My wife might object!

--
Ally | Please do not duplicate usenet follow-ups by email.
| Check my address for Anti-Spam measures.

Nigel Orr- Delete no.uce. for non-commercial email replies- Sorry!

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:45:29 +0100, Angel De Vicente
<ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Besides, the kitchen guys put an extractor to the roof, and although I
>did not look carefully, the distance to the roof (to the open world, I
>mean) seemed fairly small (30-40 cm?).

Is that in the same room? Couldn't you remove the extractor
temporarily and find the first joist along from it, then measure
along?

Nigel
Please Check AntiSpam for email replies...

Jeremy....@british-airways.com

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,

Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
> this DIY stuff.
>
> I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
> screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
> strong enough).
>
> The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
> can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
> that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
> tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
> directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
> far worse that I thought).
>
> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).
>
> Thanks,
> --
> - Angel de Vicente Garrido -
> - Department of Artificial Intelligence. Edinburgh University -
> - http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/daidb/people/students/9605767.html -

I found the easiest way is to use a sharp stiff piece of wire and poke
through the plasterboard. Obviously this can leave small holes if you're a
particularly bad guess-timator but these can easily be hidden with a bit of
filler or paint. I used a sharpened piece of coat hangar wire. I got lucky
second hit.

I suppose care should be taken not to go through a pipe or cable - be gentle!

Joe Tozer

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

I've done this in the past by knocking long (50mm) panel pins throught
the ceiling at regular interval, until I've found a joist, the next
joist is then relatively easy to find. The panel pins leave pretty
unoticable holes which could easily be coved with paint if you're
feeling fussy.

--
Joe Tozer http://www.tozer.demon.co.uk

"Numbers will account for a great
deal of the sufferings of humanity" . . . . . Myles na Gopaleen

Frank Erskine

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

In article <6UyR3CA0...@martem.demon.co.uk>, Mark Roberts
<Ma...@martem.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <359668...@dai.ed.ac.uk>, Angel De Vicente
><ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> writes
>
>Go upstairs, lift carpet etc and look for nails in chipboard/floor
>covering. Measure disance from wall and note which direction they're
>going in; they'll follow the joist u c.
>Go downstairs and measure from the wall and mark the ceiling.
>With a bradawl push up through the plasterboard in 3 places 1" apart
>either side of the mark (in a line at right angles to the joist
>direction). At least one of the holes will be on the joist and from this
>you can work out where the joist is and where its edges are (assuming a
>2" joist).

In my dentist's surgery, as you sit back in the chair staring at the
ceiling there are loads of holes obviously made with either a bradawl or
a 1/8" screwdriver, to find the correct position to fix his lamp!
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Matthew Marks

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

In article <KsHurEAALsm1Ew$B...@g3wte.demon.co.uk>,

Frank Erskine <fr...@g3wte.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In my dentist's surgery, as you sit back in the chair staring at the
> ceiling there are loads of holes obviously made with either a bradawl or
> a 1/8" screwdriver, to find the correct position to fix his lamp!

...or bits of tooth hitting the ceiling at high velocity. :-) At my dental
surgery, I just notice the wonderful dry rot in the skirting boards.

--
Matthew @rd.bbc.co.uk My opinions, not Auntie's

Jon Rouse

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Matthew Marks wrote:

> At my dental
> surgery, I just notice the wonderful dry rot in the skirting boards.

Either he's got the chair adjusted wrongly or he's tackling your piles
instead of your caries.

--
The views expressed are my own and may not represent those of my employer

Derek Uttley

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98
> Angel De Vicente <ang...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
> > this DIY stuff.
> >
> > I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
> > screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
> > strong enough).
> >
> > The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
> > can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
> > that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
> > tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
> > directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
> > far worse that I thought).
> >
> > Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> > way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> > they are running!).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > - Angel de Vicente Garrido -
> > - Department of Artificial Intelligence. Edinburgh University -
> > - http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/daidb/people/students/9605767.html -
> >

> I found the easiest way is to use a sharp stiff piece of wire and poke
> through the plasterboard. Obviously this can leave small holes if you're a
> particularly bad guess-timator but these can easily be hidden with a bit of
> filler or paint. I used a sharpened piece of coat hangar wire. I got lucky
> second hit.
>
> I suppose care should be taken not to go through a pipe or cable - be gentle!

There is a little electronic device on the market called a stud locator. It
will work equally well, of course, for detecting joists in ceilings. They only
cost around $30 Canadian over here (approx £13) and are an excellent addition
to the tool box.

D.

Steve Barnes

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Joe Tozer wrote:

> I've done this in the past by knocking long (50mm) panel pins throught
> the ceiling at regular interval, until I've found a joist, the next
> joist is then relatively easy to find. The panel pins leave pretty
> unoticable holes which could easily be coved with paint if you're
> feeling fussy.

I have one of those combination metal/electricity detectors. Cost
me less than a tenner in B&Q, and is sensitive enough to locate the
nails holding up the plasterboard.

Worth the investment!

--
Steve Barnes

Malcolm Austen

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Frank Erskine <fr...@g3wte.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In my dentist's surgery, as you sit back in the chair staring at the
>ceiling there are loads of holes obviously made with either a bradawl or
>a 1/8" screwdriver, to find the correct position to fix his lamp!

HI! (de M0AEN)

I've (too) often thought that an essential requirement of a dentist's
ceiling is that is should have lots of interesting features to focus
the mind on!

regards,
Malcolm.

Malcolm...@OUCS.ox.ac.uk http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/

Jon Rouse

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Derek Uttley wrote:

> There is a little electronic device on the market called a stud locator. It
> will work equally well, of course, for detecting joists in ceilings. They only
> cost around $30 Canadian over here (approx £13) and are an excellent addition
> to the tool box.

I've found mine totally useless on lath and plaster - I think old houses
have thicker plaster than the stuff these things were tested on.

John Laird

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

In article <359CF8...@it.postoffice.co.uk>, Jon Rouse <rou...@it.postoffice.co.uk> writes:
> Derek Uttley wrote:
>>
>> There is a little electronic device on the market called a stud locator. It
>> will work equally well, of course, for detecting joists in ceilings. They only
>> cost around $30 Canadian over here (approx £13) and are an excellent addition
>> to the tool box.
>
> I've found mine totally useless on lath and plaster - I think old houses
> have thicker plaster than the stuff these things were tested on.

That's disappointing, as I was about 50% sold on buying one for finding
the uprights in our lath-and-plaster walls. I'd hoped they would work
quite well as there are *lots* of nails holding the lath to the woodwork,
judging by the odd patches of wall I have stripped back.

--
John Laird (jo...@yrl.co.uk) "I have discovered a truly elegant sig,
Yezerski Roper Ltd sadly there is no room here to show it."

Derek Uttley

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

These things don't rely on nails to detect joists or studs. I believe they
measure changes in material characteristics (permativity?) detected by the
electronics. I have never tried them on lath and plaster, just wallboard, on
which they are superb.

D.

David Pickles

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <35A0C46D...@newbridge.com>,

dut...@newbridge.com wrote:

> John Laird wrote:

> > > I've found mine totally useless on lath and plaster - I think old houses
> > > have thicker plaster than the stuff these things were tested on.
> >
> > That's disappointing, as I was about 50% sold on buying one for finding
> > the uprights in our lath-and-plaster walls. I'd hoped they would work
> > quite well as there are *lots* of nails holding the lath to the woodwork,
> > judging by the odd patches of wall I have stripped back.
> >

> These things don't rely on nails to detect joists or studs. I believe they

> measure changes in material characteristics (permativity?) detected by the
> electronics. I have never tried them on lath and plaster, just wallboard, on
> which they are superb.

Likewise, I have a comparable device which is intended to check for
the presence of metal objects (electric cable/pipework) beneath the surface
of plaster prior to drilling; when we moved to our last house - a Victorian
terrace - the thing turned out to be totally useless. This was because the
original plaster used consisted of 50% rusty nails and other assorted bits of
metal together with animal hair, old bits of crockery, glass etc...

David

Andy Dingley

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:29:21 +0100, Jon Rouse
<rou...@it.postoffice.co.uk> wrote:

>I've found mine totally useless on lath and plaster -

I found it worked OK on _dry_ lath and plaster, but a slightly damp
ceiling confused it.

Jerry Fisher

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Andy Dingley wrote in message <35ab7b30...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:29:21 +0100, Jon Rouse
><rou...@it.postoffice.co.uk> wrote:

Any make recomendations ?
Sorry if I missed it earlier.

Jerry.

david....@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2016, 6:07:53 PM9/10/16

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Andy Burns

Sep 10, 2016, 6:20:33 PM9/10/16
david....@gmail.com wrote:

> I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought
> was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running
> the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I
> can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

It could be that your ceiling is suspended from "Resilient Bars" for
noise reduction from the room above, e.g. the joists run E-W, then the
bars are run N-S from those, and the plasterboard screwed to the bars
instead of the joists.

<http://www.siginsulation.co.uk/show_prod.asp?ProdID=2809&CatID=21&SubCatID=86>

alan_m

Sep 10, 2016, 6:24:27 PM9/10/16
Thin strips of metal or thin strips of wood? What is the age of the
property? If 50 +years old it is probably lath and plaster

https://photo.mybuilder.com/2_thumb/447262_4e98d3bf17.jpg

If lath and plaster the wooden strips (laths) will be nailed at each
joist so the nails can be found with a metal detector.

Although not the cheapest, I recommend a Zircon M40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmAME_Vw_E

That Youtube video also includes a demonstration about finding
the nails in lath and plaster

WeeBob

Sep 10, 2016, 6:29:50 PM9/10/16
Maybe not terrible helpful, but you can use magnets to find the metal
strips.

And if it's thin strips of metal, there probably are no actual joists
(in a suspended ceiling).

2p.

harry

Sep 11, 2016, 2:30:31 AM9/11/16
On Sunday, 28 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Angel De Vicente wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this is a very basic question, but hey, I'm beginning with all
> this DIY stuff.
>
> I just bought one of these Edwardian Airers, which has pulleys to be
> screwed to the ceiling joists (the instructions say the plaster won't be
> strong enough).
>
> The ceiling in my kitchen seems to be made of plasterbord (as far as I
> can tell), and I tried to tap onto them to find the difference in sound
> that would tell me where the joists are, but to my surprise I could not
> tell any obvious difference. (Either the joists are not touching
> directly the plasterboard, which I doubt, or my hearing abilities are
> far worse that I thought).
>
> Obviously I don't want to take down the plasterboard, so is there any
> way to find where the joists are? (At least I know in which direction
> they are running!).
>
> Thanks,
> --
> - Angel de Vicente Garrido -
> - Department of Artificial Intelligence. Edinburgh University -
> - http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/daidb/people/students/9605767.html -

Determine which way the joists are running by looking at nails in the room above.
Joists are at 16" centres normally.
Use a thin screwdriver and poke holes in the plasterboard ceiling until you find a joist. The small holes are easily filled.

harry

Sep 11, 2016, 2:33:26 AM9/11/16
On Sunday, 28 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Angel De Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the replies so far. Some extra information and some queries:
>
> 1) The idea of lifting floorboards above is not possible. Mine is a top
> flat in a flat roof building.
>
> 2) Are there any `multi-detectors' that will help me to detect joist,
> cables, pipes, etc., instead of buying separate ones?
>
> 3) Bernie Hayden wrote:
>
> >2 If the ceiling is plasterboard panels, the chances are that if you look
> >closely enough you'll see the joins. The joins would be directly under
> >joists as the edges of the boards would need to be fixed into the joists.
> >If you can't see any joins at all, it was either done by a real expert or
> >you've actually got lath and plaster.
>
> That would be great, but a couple of weeks ago (when I didn't plan to
> put the airer) I covered the ceiling with one of these polytirene veneer
> (sorry the wrong? spelling), so now I see the edges of the veneer, but
> not of the plasterboard :-(
>
> >4 If there's no difference in the knocking sound, are you sure you haven't
> >got a suspended ceiling, ie a 'false' one hanging down from an original
> >higher ceiling. If so it won't be strong enough for your airer.
>
> I must admit I'm not sure whether it is a suspended ceiling or not, but
> I doubt it. There where no obvious T-joins or anything like that.
> Besides, the kitchen guys put an extractor to the roof, and although I
> did not look carefully, the distance to the roof (to the open world, I
> mean) seemed fairly small (30-40 cm?).
>
> 4) Hugh Davies wrote:
>
> >Do what I do. Drill 126 holes in the ceiling in a line across where a joist
> >aught to be. :o(
>
> I thought about that, but certainly doesn't look very appealing :-(
> Although I may end doing it unless I find some other way!
>

> Thanks again,
> --

You don't lift the floorboards, you look at the nails in the floorboards. The joists will be at right angles to the floorboards.

Brian Gaff

Sep 11, 2016, 5:21:33 AM9/11/16
Some of the office to living conversions seem to leave the old office
ceilings with metal strips between rectangular pieces of plasterboard or
similar and simply plaster over them to make it level. I call it a bodge
but there may well be wiring in the suspended part and its probably the
cheapest way, till that is you need to find something really solid to screw
to!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"WeeBob" <use...@null.invalid> wrote in message

DICEGEORGE

Sep 11, 2016, 4:36:52 PM9/11/16
if there's a light or similar fitting in the ceiling unscrew it and look behind it.

[g]

rick

Sep 12, 2016, 7:01:05 AM9/12/16
On 10/09/2016 23:07, david....@gmail.com wrote:
It could be an acoustic lath ceiling ......... I fitted these in my
house, you screw clips on each joist with an acoustic pad between clip &
joist. Then clip in tracks at 90 degrees to the joist - screw fixing
ceiling boards to the tracks.

Makes significant difference to sound transmission between floors.

Vir Campestris

Sep 13, 2016, 4:41:34 PM9/13/16
On 11/09/2016 07:33, harry wrote:
> You don't lift the floorboards, you look at the nails in the floorboards. The joists will be at right angles to the floorboards.

We have two layers of floorboards. I don't know if the ones underneath
are parallel or orthogonal to the visible ones.

I reckon the joists are about this much apart. Perhaps a cubit?

None of these rules are 100%.

Andy

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 13, 2016, 7:41:10 PM9/13/16
On 13/09/16 21:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
> I reckon the joists are about this much apart.

You are wrong. They are in fact that much apart.

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Vir Campestris

Sep 16, 2016, 4:51:02 PM9/16/16
> On 13/09/16 21:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
>> I reckon the joists are about this much apart.
>
> You are wrong. They are in fact that much apart.

No, that's the other room. Where some of the joists are branches
complete with bark. (this was a peasant's cottage!)

Andy