Very short Acrow props or what?

Robin

Jan 8, 2012, 3:52:06 AM1/8/12
I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
what could I use please?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Robin

Jan 8, 2012, 3:53:18 AM1/8/12

Tim

Jan 8, 2012, 4:19:17 AM1/8/12
"Robin" <rb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

Car scissors jack and some packing pieces (or sit it on a breeze block)?

Tim

Tim Watts

Jan 8, 2012, 4:33:29 AM1/8/12
Robin wrote:

> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

Some cheap car bottle jacks on bricks?
--
Tim Watts

Hugh - Was Invisible

Jan 8, 2012, 4:55:15 AM1/8/12
Scissor or other screwed jacks yes. I wouldn't trust anything cheap and
hydraulic to not sink very slowly.
Message has been deleted

Kevin

Jan 8, 2012, 5:02:52 AM1/8/12
On 08/01/2012 08:52, Robin wrote:
> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

As suggested, a car jack (on a block if needed) or a short length of,
say, 4x4 and a pair of folding wedges.

--
Kevin Poole

harry

Jan 8, 2012, 5:09:53 AM1/8/12
Cut some bits of timber and hammer them in sideways if yo see what I
mean.

Andrew

Jan 8, 2012, 6:11:59 AM1/8/12
On 08/01/2012 08:53, Robin wrote:
> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

car jacks ??. Scissor type or bottle type, plus small pillars of
engineering bricks or 7N blocks and bits of wood. All you need to to is
support the weight of the floor.

Andrew

Tim Lamb

Jan 8, 2012, 6:18:07 AM1/8/12
In message
<df966eea-6def-42ea...@p42g2000vbt.googlegroups.com>,
harry <harol...@aol.com> writes
Bit agricultural Harry but should work:-)

Basically cut the timber to fit the space plus desired uplift. Put the
bottom end where you want it and hammer the top to wedge the joist up.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

John Rumm

Jan 8, 2012, 8:13:23 AM1/8/12
On 08/01/2012 08:53, Robin wrote:
> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

a stick, slightly longer than 0.4m. Stick in at an angle, and tap more
upright with a hammer until you achieve the amount of lift required.
Failing that, a pile of bricks and some folding wedges say on top to
allow adjustment.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wedges#What_is_a_folding_wedge.3F

--
Cheers,

John.

ARWadsworth

Jan 8, 2012, 8:27:05 AM1/8/12
John Rumm wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 08:53, Robin wrote:
>> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall
>> is no longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the
>> joists with Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't
>> find any short enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such
>> a thing? If not, what could I use please?
>
> a stick, slightly longer than 0.4m. Stick in at an angle, and tap more
> upright with a hammer until you achieve the amount of lift required.

That could be a lot of hammer action in a confined space!

Robin has not said if the floorboards are up or if he is crawling under the
floor to do the work:-)
--
Adam

Robin

Jan 8, 2012, 10:34:23 AM1/8/12
>> a stick, slightly longer than 0.4m. Stick in at an angle, and tap
>> more upright with a hammer until you achieve the amount of lift
>> required.

Thank you, and others, for all the suggestions. I have 2 old bottle
jacks and 4 axles stands so I'll aim to use the former to provide a bit
of temporary lift and the latter with some blocks and folding wedges for
the longer term support. I've never used folding wedges so that'll be a
voyage of discovery for me: they look a really nice machine.

> That could be a lot of hammer action in a confined space!
>
> Robin has not said if the floorboards are up or if he is crawling
> under the floor to do the work:-)

Initially crawling under. But I may well end up removing skirting
boards and lifting floorboards to get a more level floor which at my
pace means "I may be some time".

ARWadsworth

Jan 8, 2012, 10:43:20 AM1/8/12
OK. And just to keep it on topic are you not supposed to use slate or some
other similar material for the final bit between the new dwarf wall and the
floor joists?

--
Adam

Robin

Jan 8, 2012, 10:59:48 AM1/8/12

> OK. And just to keep it on topic are you not supposed to use slate or
> some other similar material for the final bit between the new dwarf
> wall and the floor joists?

Yes thank - from what I've read either slate or DPM. Since I've got a
few slates from the roof which were not worth recycling I shall be
old-fashioned/miserly/authentically Victorian.

ARWadsworth

Jan 8, 2012, 11:56:31 AM1/8/12
Robin wrote:
>> OK. And just to keep it on topic are you not supposed to use slate or
>> some other similar material for the final bit between the new dwarf
>> wall and the floor joists?
>
> Yes thank - from what I've read either slate or DPM. Since I've got a
> few slates from the roof which were not worth recycling I shall be
> old-fashioned/miserly/authentically Victorian.

Well if you are going to be Victorian about it should you not sent a 10 year
old under the floorboards to do the work for you:-)?

I have a spare 8 year old knocking about if you will wait a couple of years
for the work doing...............

--
Adam

Jules Richardson

Jan 8, 2012, 12:14:51 PM1/8/12
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 08:52:06 +0000, Robin wrote:

> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

Politicians, cut to size.

(sorry, but correct answers IMHO already suggested ;)

Bob Eager

Jan 8, 2012, 12:21:10 PM1/8/12
or Speakers, as is.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Message has been deleted

Tony Bryer

Jan 8, 2012, 4:19:18 PM1/8/12
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 08:52:06 -0000 Robin wrote :
> I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> longer supporting the joists. I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> enough to fit the gap of around 0.4m. Is there such a thing? If not,
> what could I use please?

The magic phrase is "trench prop"

http://www.mark1hire.co.uk/product.php/412/trench_prop_300mm_to_500mm

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Osprey

Jan 8, 2012, 6:07:47 PM1/8/12
On Jan 8, 1:13 pm, John Rumm <see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 08:53, Robin wrote:
>
> > I need to sort out a sagging floor where a 120 year old dwarf wall is no
> > longer supporting the joists.  I'd thought I'd support the joists with
> > Acrows while packing/rebuilding the wall but I can't find any short
> > enou
gh to fit the gap of around 0.4m.  Is there such a thing?  If not,
> > what could I use please?

I made my own ... used adjustable feet off quick fit scaffolding, and
some short lengths of scaffold tube cut to length I wanted.

The adjustable feet had a long male thread that fits inside tube .. so
that works fine, you just screw up the handles on the adjuster nut to
adjust acrow.
initially I just had ends of tube pressing against a piece of
hardwood ... then during lull in using them welded on some 200 x 200
top plates.

Cost was zero .... found all parts I needed hanging around on
different sites.

Robin

Jan 8, 2012, 7:06:00 PM1/8/12
> The magic phrase is "trench prop"

Many thanks.

bobrus...@googlemail.com

Jun 2, 2016, 11:48:12 AM6/2/16
Trench struts are the same but shorter too late now ?

Robin

Jun 2, 2016, 11:53:52 AM6/2/16
Just a little - but luckily the same answer was given in 2012 by Tony Bryer

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/uk.d-i-y/XvlurlWVtpQ

--
Robin

Brian Gaff

Jun 2, 2016, 3:03:00 PM6/2/16
Yes bet the floor is on the ground after several years, or its been turned
into a trampoline or a skate board park.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
<bobrus...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

harry

Jun 3, 2016, 1:23:11 AM6/3/16
On Sunday, 8 January 2012 08:52:06 UTC, Robin wrote:
Pile of bricks/concrete blocks and wooden wedges.

You...@t1-solutions.com

Apr 3, 2017, 6:12:38 AM4/3/17

Muddymike

Apr 3, 2017, 6:59:52 AM4/3/17
Car jacks. Cheap to buy from a breakers yard.

Mike

Chris Green

Apr 3, 2017, 7:33:04 AM4/3/17
Cheap from anywhere!

However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
has sagged its last by now.

--
Chris Green
·

rick

Apr 3, 2017, 8:38:07 AM4/3/17
On 03/04/2017 11:12, You...@t1-solutions.com wrote:
They do adjustable props for computer room floors ... to allow cabling
space - they may suit

Robin

Apr 3, 2017, 8:43:26 AM4/3/17
On 03/04/2017 12:20, Chris Green wrote:

> However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
> has sagged its last by now.

Oi! You suggesting I can't do delays >5 years? Just 'cos I did hire some
trench struts in 2012 (and hope I won't have to revisit the floor)
doesn't mean I couldn't've put the job off till now if I'd wanted to:
I've got the knack of delays :) I can do procrastination, dithering and
vacillation too :))

newshound

Apr 3, 2017, 9:07:09 AM4/3/17
On 4/3/2017 1:43 PM, Robin wrote:
> On 03/04/2017 12:20, Chris Green wrote:
>

>> However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
>> has sagged its last by now.
>>
> Oi! You suggesting I can't do delays >5 years? Just 'cos I did hire some
> trench struts in 2012 (and hope I won't have to revisit the floor)
> doesn't mean I couldn't've put the job off till now if I'd wanted to:
> I've got the knack of delays :) I can do procrastination, dithering and
> vacillation too :))

ROFL!

I did think the suggestion of car jacks from scrapyards was good,
though. I think I have one or two in my stack of "things too useful to
throw away" but of course I have never needed to look for them.

Muddymike

Apr 3, 2017, 10:49:32 AM4/3/17
On 03/04/2017 12:20, Chris Green wrote:
Bugger! I missed that:-)

Mike

Muddymike

Apr 3, 2017, 10:51:44 AM4/3/17
On 03/04/2017 13:43, Robin wrote:
> On 03/04/2017 12:20, Chris Green wrote:
>

>> However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
>> has sagged its last by now.
>>
> Oi! You suggesting I can't do delays >5 years? Just 'cos I did hire some
> trench struts in 2012 (and hope I won't have to revisit the floor)
> doesn't mean I couldn't've put the job off till now if I'd wanted to:
> I've got the knack of delays :) I can do procrastination, dithering and
> vacillation too :))

Like I keep telling STWNFI just because I haven't got around to doing a
job it doesn't mean I've forgotten so she doesn't have to keep reminding
me every year or so :-)

Mike

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Apr 3, 2017, 1:00:21 PM4/3/17
On Monday, 3 April 2017 12:33:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
> However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
> has sagged its last by now.

It might be like my kitchen. I've still not fitted the tiles I bought in 1997.

(Which is just as well as I have moved twice since then, so wouldn't have been able to bring them with me, which would have been a shame as I like them.)

Owain

Rod Speed

Apr 3, 2017, 4:08:01 PM4/3/17

<spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, 3 April 2017 12:33:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
>> However the original posting was back in 2012 so I suspect his floor
>> has sagged its last by now.
>
> It might be like my kitchen. I've still not fitted the tiles I bought in
> 1997.

I've still not fitted most of the quarry tiles I bought in 1972.

> (Which is just as well as I have moved twice since then, so wouldn't have
> been
> able to bring them with me, which would have been a shame as I like them.)

I havent.

sdan

Dec 4, 2017, 3:14:10 PM12/4/17
replying to Tony Bryer, sdan wrote: