Help get rid of mice

Wesley

Sep 13, 2012, 7:25:42 PM9/13/12
Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our mice
seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out a
couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping and had
a go at the bread.

The first time this happened, I put down a saucer of B&Q Mouse & Rat poison
with half a slice of the Hovis bread on top but they just ignored it. Is it
because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date? It consists of grain
which is blue in colour. I've examined the container but there is no sell
by date of any kind. In any event, I though they would at least have eaten
the bread! If I leave a loaf of the bread on the kitchen counter they will
eat it but if I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.
Doesn't make sense!

I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the buggers
but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the traps. Do I
need to put fresh Nutella in the traps every night because our mice are a
bit fussy? I've examined it after a day or two and it still appears to be
moist.

The B&Q poison worked very well a few years ago and got rid of them - they
cleared two heaped saucers full of the stuff before they finally
disappeared. I've put the saucer in exactly the same spot this time so I am
puzzled why they won't eat it.

Dave Liquorice

Sep 13, 2012, 7:39:31 PM9/13/12
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:25:42 +0100, Wesley wrote:

> Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors.

Yes it's that time of year again. Must set the traps in the loft. Caught
one last week.

> Is it because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date?

How long did you leave it? If it still stinks of human they may well
avoid it, rats certainly will.

> If I leave a loaf of the bread on the kitchen counter they will eat it
> but if I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.
> Doesn't make sense!

Maybe the mice haven't found the floor yet. How are they getting onto the
worktop?

> I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the
> buggers but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the
> traps.

I find it lasts weeks, again how long have you left the traps
undisturbed? Had you just washed you hands in perfumed soap or have after
shave etc. Mice tend to follow edges and corners, they don't like being
out in the open.

--
Cheers
Dave.

alan

Sep 13, 2012, 11:19:37 PM9/13/12
On 14/09/2012 00:25, Wesley wrote:
> Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our mice
> seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out a
> couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping and had
> a go at the bread.

> I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the buggers
> but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the traps. Do I
> need to put fresh Nutella in the traps every night because our mice are a
> bit fussy? I've examined it after a day or two and it still appears to be
> moist.

With the poisoned grain I've made up pea sized balls of mashed potato
with the lethal centre - the mice took a dozen balls in a single night.
I've had success with traps baited with both potato and peanut butter
that have been down a week or more without replacing the bait.
As the previous poster indicated, positioning is important. I place my
traps and bait hard up against the skirting boards or walls as this is
where mice tend to run.

>I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.

They probably have already found their preferred route to the food and
your secluded spot is not on their run - different mice - different food
runs. You probably need to place your trap close to where the bread is
being eaten.

On the other hand, if you have rats then they will be very wary of
changes to their environment and you may have to leave traps/bait a lot
longer.

>I've put the saucer in exactly the same spot this time so I am
> puzzled why they won't eat it.

Because there is something that smells better nearby?

Frank Erskine

Sep 14, 2012, 1:39:07 AM9/14/12
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:25:42 +0100, "Wesley" <w...@spamoff.com> wrote:

>Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our mice
>seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out a
>couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping and had
>a go at the bread.

I store bread in the freezer, away from predators such as rodents. It
thaws to a useable state within minutes at breakfast time.

>The first time this happened, I put down a saucer of B&Q Mouse & Rat poison
>with half a slice of the Hovis bread on top but they just ignored it. Is it
>because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date? It consists of grain
>which is blue in colour. I've examined the container but there is no sell
>by date of any kind.

Your mice may not be able to understand concepts such as "sell by"
dates, especially if they don't have to actually buy the bread. in
ther first place.

>In any event, I though they would at least have eaten
>the bread! If I leave a loaf of the bread on the kitchen counter they will
>eat it but if I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.
>Doesn't make sense!
>

>I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the buggers
>but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the traps. Do I
>need to put fresh Nutella in the traps every night because our mice are a
>bit fussy? I've examined it after a day or two and it still appears to be
>moist.

It'd be best to wash the trap/s after each "kill". There's likely some
odour left by a mouse after its "last supper".

Possibly alternate between Nutella and peanut butter (or even cheese)

--
Frank Erskine

Reentrant

Sep 14, 2012, 2:27:43 AM9/14/12
On 14/09/2012 00:25, Wesley wrote:

> ... the poison is past its 'Best Before' date ...

Shouldn't poison have a "Worst Before" date?

--
Reentrant

tony sayer

Sep 14, 2012, 2:34:22 AM9/14/12
In article <Tridne6pgazr9s_N...@brightview.co.uk>, Wesley
<w...@spamoff.com> scribeth thus
>Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our mice
>seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out a
>couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping and had
>a go at the bread.
>

>The first time this happened, I put down a saucer of B&Q Mouse & Rat poison
>with half a slice of the Hovis bread on top but they just ignored it. Is it
>because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date? It consists of grain
>which is blue in colour. I've examined the container but there is no sell
>by date of any kind. In any event, I though they would at least have eaten
>the bread! If I leave a loaf of the bread on the kitchen counter they will
>eat it but if I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.
>Doesn't make sense!

Go to the local Cats home.

Take on a Cat, preferably a slightly mentally disturbed one that has a
grudge against the world.

Brainwash it by showing it posters that say,

"MICE ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH"

or

"PUSSY GOOD .. MICE BAAAD!"

Feed it but do not spoil it.

Always remind it when it comes meowing for more grub that "if your that
hungry go and catch a mouse"

Job done .. worked very well for us:)...

--
Tony Sayer

Message has been deleted

charles

Sep 14, 2012, 4:00:54 AM9/14/12
In article <PyBQS$Au$sUQ...@bancom.co.uk>,

> Go to the local Cats home.

> Take on a Cat, preferably a slightly mentally disturbed one that has a
> grudge against the world.

> Brainwash it by showing it posters that say,

> "MICE ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH"

> or

> "PUSSY GOOD .. MICE BAAAD!"

> Feed it but do not spoil it.

> Always remind it when it comes meowing for more grub that "if your that
> hungry go and catch a mouse"

> Job done .. worked very well for us:)...

not for us - since the mice were in a field across the road. One dead cat,
sadly.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Periproct

Sep 14, 2012, 4:05:58 AM9/14/12

"Reentrant" wrote in message news:abg12c...@mid.individual.net...

On 14/09/2012 00:25, Wesley wrote:

>> ... the poison is past its 'Best Before' date ...

>Shouldn't poison have a "Worst Before" date?

I lent a rat trap to a neighbour, along with a jar of peanut butter for
bait.
He returned the trap and said 'I've thrown the peanut butter away
as it was past its use by date'.

Sigh.

I don't eat peanut butter so have to buy it just to bait the traps.

tony sayer

Sep 14, 2012, 4:18:48 AM9/14/12
In article <timstreater-5AC6...@news.individual.net>, Tim
Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> scribeth thus
>In article <PyBQS$Au$sUQ...@bancom.co.uk>,
>tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <Tridne6pgazr9s_N...@brightview.co.uk>, Wesley
>> <w...@spamoff.com> scribeth thus
>> >Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors.
>> Go to the local Cats home.
>>
>> Take on a Cat, preferably a slightly mentally disturbed one that has a
>> grudge against the world.
>>
>> Brainwash it by showing it posters that say,
>
>> "MICE ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH"
>
>> "PUSSY GOOD .. MICE BAAAD!"
>
>> Feed it but do not spoil it.
>>
>> Always remind it when it comes meowing for more grub that "if your that
>> hungry go and catch a mouse"
>>
>> Job done .. worked very well for us:)...
>
>Our cat wants to train *us* to catch mice. So it catches one outside,
>brings it in, makes a loud "I have a mouse for you, come along now"
>noise, and drops it. Mouse is astonished and sits there for a moment. If
>I'm lucky, I've made it there by then. Mouse then starts to leg it at
>900mph, cat just watches.
>

>I've become quite good at catching mice.

That tail must have whiskers on it;)...

--
Tony Sayer

Tim Lamb

Sep 14, 2012, 4:54:11 AM9/14/12
In message <nyyfbegfubjuvyypb...@srv1.howhill.co.uk>, Dave
Liquorice <allsortsn...@howhill.com> writes
Mice are eclectic feeders; they like choice.

Chocolate spread baited traps work here.

--
Tim Lamb

Clive George

Sep 14, 2012, 8:13:54 AM9/14/12
On 14/09/2012 06:39, Frank Erskine wrote:

> It'd be best to wash the trap/s after each "kill". There's likely some
> odour left by a mouse after its "last supper".

Our traps are pretty bloodstained and still catch things. If it's icky
I'll tend to give it a rinse, but mostly for ickiness rather than function.

Martin Brown

Sep 14, 2012, 8:39:39 AM9/14/12
On 14/09/2012 00:25, Wesley wrote:
> Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our mice
> seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out a
> couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping and had
> a go at the bread.

Always putting the bread back in the bread bin slows them down a lot.

> The first time this happened, I put down a saucer of B&Q Mouse & Rat poison
> with half a slice of the Hovis bread on top but they just ignored it. Is it
> because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date? It consists of grain
> which is blue in colour. I've examined the container but there is no sell
> by date of any kind. In any event, I though they would at least have eaten
> the bread! If I leave a loaf of the bread on the kitchen counter they will
> eat it but if I put some on the floor in a secluded spot they ignore it.
> Doesn't make sense!

How are they getting onto the bench?

> I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the buggers
> but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the traps. Do I
> need to put fresh Nutella in the traps every night because our mice are a
> bit fussy? I've examined it after a day or two and it still appears to be
> moist.

Try fresh traps and avoid handling them unnecessarily.
The old ones probably smell too much of human and dead mouse by now.

> The B&Q poison worked very well a few years ago and got rid of them - they
> cleared two heaped saucers full of the stuff before they finally
> disappeared. I've put the saucer in exactly the same spot this time so I am
> puzzled why they won't eat it.

Too busy eating your nice fresh loaf?
It is the time of year when they migrate indoors.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

gogmagog

Sep 14, 2012, 9:02:59 AM9/14/12

"Wesley" <w...@spamoff.com> wrote in message
I always found peanut butter to work best. I've had a few squirrels in the
loft (and they ARE destructive little buggers), and they just love it.

F Murtz

Sep 14, 2012, 9:10:54 AM9/14/12
Get a tin of mouse glue and glue their feets to the floor.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Sep 14, 2012, 12:42:29 PM9/14/12
Ditto. I have one trap that's positively Deathly.
It's carried away more small lives than Charon's oars.

Wesley

Sep 14, 2012, 3:17:17 PM9/14/12

"gogmagog" <u...@yours.com> wrote in message
OK I'll have another go tonight with Tesco's crunchy peanut butter. I
bought the cheapest brand because nobody here can stand the stuff! - and the
traps are hard by the skirting boards where we have seen the little
blighters!

ss

Sep 14, 2012, 3:36:15 PM9/14/12
On 14/09/2012 20:17, Wesley wrote:
> "gogmagog"<u...@yours.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Wesley"<w...@spamoff.com> wrote in message
>>> Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors. Our
>>> mice seem to have a liking for 'Hovis Best of Both' bread. I left it out
>>> a couple of times and found they'd chewed through the plastic wrapping
>>> and had a go at the bread.
>>>

>>> The first time this happened, I put down a saucer of B&Q Mouse& Rat
>>> poison with half a slice of the Hovis bread on top but they just ignored
>>> it. Is it because the poison is past its 'Best Before' date? It
>>> consists of grain which is blue in colour. I've examined the container
>>> but there is no sell by date of any kind. In any event, I though they
>>> would at least have eaten the bread! If I leave a loaf of the bread on
>>> the kitchen counter they will eat it but if I put some on the floor in a
>>> secluded spot they ignore it. Doesn't make sense!
>>>

>>> I then tried Nutella in ordinary mouse traps and caught two of the
>>> buggers but now they seem to be wise to this method and won't touch the
>>> traps. Do I need to put fresh Nutella in the traps every night because
>>> our mice are a bit fussy? I've examined it after a day or two and it
>>> still appears to be moist.
>>>

>>> The B&Q poison worked very well a few years ago and got rid of them -
>>> they cleared two heaped saucers full of the stuff before they finally
>>> disappeared. I've put the saucer in exactly the same spot this time so I
>>> am puzzled why they won't eat it.
>>
>> I always found peanut butter to work best. I've had a few squirrels in
>> the loft (and they ARE destructive little buggers), and they just love it.
>
> OK I'll have another go tonight with Tesco's crunchy peanut butter. I
> bought the cheapest brand because nobody here can stand the stuff! - and the
> traps are hard by the skirting boards where we have seen the little
> blighters!

It might be possible by tracking their droppings establish where their
entry point is likely to be and focus in that area.

Java Jive

Sep 15, 2012, 5:35:42 PM9/15/12
Mice are (at least) two problems in one: prevention, and cure.

Our very old listed building in Cambridge was initially infested by
them. Our refurbishing it with central-heating, and many rooms being
panelled, created mouse motorways all around it, and soon after we
moved in, they did too, and appeared in every room. Trying to get to
sleep in a room which is alive with mice conducting the rodent
equivalent of rugby football behind the panelling is not easy. In the
face of my mother's Scottish "It's a sign of good fortune to have a
moose in the hoose!", I resolved that something HAD to be done.

We tried various things ...

First poison such as Warfarin, which worked, but contrary to what the
manufacturers claimed, the victims didn't always just die in their
holes, out of sight and out of mind, but occasionally an animal close
to death would become so confused as to come out in broad daylight and
wander round in a dazed and helpless fashion, so, if I was at home, I
would have to kill it humanely. Ma found this too upsetting.

So next we tried cats, and one in particular was a good mouser, but of
course cats play with their prey, so if I was at home I'd have to kill
it humanely and quickly and put it and the cat outside. Ma also found
this too upsetting.

I then suggested snakes, as they could follow the mice down their
holes and eat a whole one in a single sitting, but I was outvoted by
Ma.

But, as is my wont, all along I'd been thinking that prevention is
better than cure. I'd noticed that they often first appeared under
the sink, and in similar places, and that outside the builders who did
our refurbishment had left the holes where the waste-pipes exited the
house into the drain gullies unsealed.

I mixed up bucketfuls of cement, and went round the entire house at
ground level, then later again up ladders at all the higher floor
levels, cementing up all such possible entry points. This combined
with the cats finally fixed the problem.

So, besides dealing with the ones that are already in, you need to
find out how they are getting into the house, and block the holes
permanently. This may require repointing all the brick or stone work,
if the cement is falling out of the joints, or making good crumbling
rendering, etc.

Of course, both mice and rats are rodents, and can gnaw their way
through wood, and can even attack crumbling cement, but they need
cover to be able to do this, otherwise they are vulnerable to cats,
owls, foxes, etc. So, particularly if your house is vulnerable due to
its construction, say, because it's a timber house, ensure that your
garden planting and weeding leaves a strip about a foot wide
completely clear around the house. Keep any grass immediately around
the house cut as short as you can, so that it can't act as cover.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:25:42 +0100, "Wesley" <w...@spamoff.com> wrote:

> Please help me get rid of our latest batch of unwelcome visitors.

Wesley

Sep 15, 2012, 6:11:16 PM9/15/12

"Java Jive" <ja...@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
Very informative and amusing!

I agree that prevention is better than cure and intend to block up any
potential entry points very soon so it will just, hopefully, be the case of
offing our current unwelcome guests.

They don't seem very keen on my latest offering - Tesco's crunchy peanut
butter :-(

Java Jive

Sep 17, 2012, 4:15:30 AM9/17/12
I've always found bits of bread crust as or more effective than the
traditional piece of cheese. Bread itself can be too easily lifted
off the trap without setting it off, especially by rats.