Cat proofing a stereo

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 3:29:43 PM4/12/16
One of my cats keeps sleeping on the amplifier, causing it to get hot, and when it jumps off it, it always knocks stuff off my desk. So I glued carpet grippers on top of it. I've never seen a cat make such a fuss. There was a loud yelp and it jumped off sideways.

ARW

Apr 12, 2016, 3:50:26 PM4/12/16
"Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message news:op.yftm3...@red.lan...
You glued carpet grippers on top your cat?

--
Adam

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 3:54:49 PM4/12/16
Yes, it stops it sleeping upside down.

--
System error 4C: kernel panic

ARW

Apr 12, 2016, 4:16:56 PM4/12/16
"Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message news:op.yftn9...@red.lan...
What breed is it?

Mine is the second one down on the first column.

http://lolworthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/types-of-cats-cunt.jpg

--
Adam

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 4:27:33 PM4/12/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message news:op.yftn9...@red.lan...
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:50:03 +0100, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> You glued carpet grippers on top your cat?
>>
>> Yes, it stops it sleeping upside down.
>
> What breed is it?

Dunno, I got it free 2nd hand on Gumtree.

I can't spot it there. It looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nzmb5xdetaq3ln/Nala%20cat%20on%20path.jpg?dl=0

--
In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick thicker than his thumb. Hence we have the "rule of thumb".

bm

Apr 12, 2016, 5:18:09 PM4/12/16

"ARW" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Love it, and spot on.

Cash

Apr 12, 2016, 5:36:08 PM4/12/16
ARW wrote:
> "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:50:03 +0100, ARW
>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> You glued carpet grippers on top your cat?
>>
>> Yes, it stops it sleeping upside down.
>

> What breed is it?
>
> Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>
> http://lolworthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/types-of-cats-cunt.jpg

I was always told that they were rather useful - if they are not, why are
you always chasing [1] them to get your's into their 'fur coats'? -;

[1] And commenting!

Cash

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 6:36:03 PM4/12/16
I can only interpret your paragraph above to mean that Adam likes to take cats from behind.

--
During last night's high winds an African family was killed by a falling tree.
A spokesman for the Birmingham City council said, "We didn't even know they were living up there".

T i m

Apr 12, 2016, 6:36:40 PM4/12/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>

>Mine is the second one down on the first column.

<snip>

IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)

If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]

The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
(or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
walk.

A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
'cute'.

'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'

(The answer was already and accurately provided by your chart of
course). ;-)

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 6:41:59 PM4/12/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:36:37 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>>
> <snip>
>
> IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)
>
> If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
> or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
> the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]

Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go, and tend to have clean paws.

> The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
> (or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
> walk.

The only reason they don't crap in other people's gardens is that you take the for a walk and tell them where to do it. It's not the type of animal that matters, it's the instruction.

> A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
> because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
> itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).

Not if you teach it to leave birds alone. They can be taught as easily as dogs.

> Cheers, T i m
>
> [1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
> then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
> 'cute'.
>
> 'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
> Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'

They are usually quite careful.

--
Engage brain before putting fingers in gear.

T i m

Apr 12, 2016, 6:54:34 PM4/12/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:41:54 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:36:37 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)
>>
>> If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
>> or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
>> the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]
>
>Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go,

Nor did any of our dogs.

> and tend to have clean paws.

As did our dogs?

>> The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
>> (or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
>> walk.
>
>The only reason they don't crap in other people's gardens is that you take the for a walk and tell them where to do it.

Quite, just as it should be in polite society don't you think?

>It's not the type of animal that matters, it's the instruction.

Possibly, however I bet there are far fewer 'well trained' cats than
dogs out there, especially when it comes to when they do when 'under
control'.

>> A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
>> because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
>> itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).
>
>Not if you teach it to leave birds alone. They can be taught as easily as dogs.

Really? I don't disbelieve what you say but I can't say I've ever seen
it in practice? In fact I can't say I've ever seen a cat reliably (if
ever) respond to any command, unless it involved food.

'Tiddles, come here ... ' (cat saunters off in the opposite
direction).

How easy is it to train them to be 'guide cats for the blind', or
'drug / money / cancer sniffer cats' or 'helper cats around the home'?

>> [1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
>> then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
>> 'cute'.
>>
>> 'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
>> Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'
>
>They are usually quite careful.

Still more often found 'up on stuff' than most dogs ...

I can't remember ever asking for advice re how to stop any of my dogs
getting up on my stereo. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 7:05:31 PM4/12/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:54:14 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:41:54 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:36:37 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
>>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)
>>>
>>> If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
>>> or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
>>> the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]
>>
>> Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go,
>
> Nor did any of our dogs.

Most dogs do.

>> and tend to have clean paws.
>
> As did our dogs?

Really? You take them for a walk and they come back home with magically clean paws?

>>> The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
>>> (or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
>>> walk.
>>
>> The only reason they don't crap in other people's gardens is that you take the for a walk and tell them where to do it.
>
> Quite, just as it should be in polite society don't you think?

Why are the needs of a human greater than that of a cat?

>> It's not the type of animal that matters, it's the instruction.
>
> Possibly, however I bet there are far fewer 'well trained' cats than
> dogs out there, especially when it comes to when they do when 'under
> control'.

Cats shit in flower beds and fertilise them, dogs shit on pavements so you stand in it. I've never stood in cat shit.

>>> A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
>>> because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
>>> itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).
>>
>> Not if you teach it to leave birds alone. They can be taught as easily as dogs.
>
> Really? I don't disbelieve what you say but I can't say I've ever seen
> it in practice? In fact I can't say I've ever seen a cat reliably (if
> ever) respond to any command, unless it involved food.

There you go then, you reward it with food, or more food, or nicer food, when it behaves. And do the opposite when it misbehaves. Yelling at or kicking the cat would also be effective.

> 'Tiddles, come here ... ' (cat saunters off in the opposite
> direction).
>
> How easy is it to train them to be 'guide cats for the blind', or
> 'drug / money / cancer sniffer cats'

Sniffing for drugs I do not consider to be useful.

https://youtu.be/puYANVYxPys

>>> [1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
>>> then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
>>> 'cute'.
>>>
>>> 'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
>>> Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'
>>
>> They are usually quite careful.
>
> Still more often found 'up on stuff' than most dogs ...

If a dog was up on stuff, it would knock everything over every time.

> I can't remember ever asking for advice re how to stop any of my dogs
> getting up on my stereo. ;-)

I didn't ask for advice, I gave a simple method to stop it.

--
Hello, you have reached technical support.
Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a problem, or 4 to report a cockup.

T i m

Apr 12, 2016, 7:48:28 PM4/12/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:05:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>> Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go,
>>
>> Nor did any of our dogs.
>
>Most dogs do.

Not the dogs I've mixed with. The breeds that do dribble are often
heavily crossbred (and not my idea of a 'good dog' either).

>>> and tend to have clean paws.
>>
>> As did our dogs?
>
>Really? You take them for a walk and they come back home with magically clean paws?

They come back in with paws as clean as our feet or a cats paws for
the same surfaces (and often wash them if not clean in any case).

>>> The only reason they don't crap in other people's gardens is that you take the for a walk and tell them where to do it.
>>
>> Quite, just as it should be in polite society don't you think?
>
>Why are the needs of a human greater than that of a cat?

Because that is the order of such things. That's why the human owner
would have action taken against them if they allowed their pet to make
antisocial levels of noise, or fouling or anything that affected other
humans.

>>> It's not the type of animal that matters, it's the instruction.
>>
>> Possibly, however I bet there are far fewer 'well trained' cats than
>> dogs out there, especially when it comes to when they do when 'under
>> control'.
>
>Cats shit in flower beds and fertilise them,

I don't have a flower bed. I had a veg patch and do have gravel round
my outbuildings and that's often covered in other peoples pets faeces.

> dogs shit on pavements so you stand in it.

Not if they are trained not to (or you clean up after them). If any of
the owners(?) of the cats that use my garden as a toilet knocked on my
door asking to clean their 'pet's' mess up I'd gladly let them.

>I've never stood in cat shit.

You have been very very lucky then. I don't do it so often (in my own
back garden, even though I don't own a cat) since I fitted the passive
IR water blaster. ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B004YCUT4W

I wonder if there could be a 'cat tax' and these sorts of things could
be paid for out of that?

>>> Not if you teach it to leave birds alone. They can be taught as easily as dogs.
>>
>> Really? I don't disbelieve what you say but I can't say I've ever seen
>> it in practice? In fact I can't say I've ever seen a cat reliably (if
>> ever) respond to any command, unless it involved food.
>
>There you go then, you reward it with food, or more food, or nicer food, when it behaves. And do the opposite when it misbehaves. Yelling at or kicking the cat would also be effective.

Quite. Not having(?) one in the first place would be more so. ;-)

>> 'Tiddles, come here ... ' (cat saunters off in the opposite
>> direction).
>>
>> How easy is it to train them to be 'guide cats for the blind', or
>> 'drug / money / cancer sniffer cats'
>
>Sniffing for drugs I do not consider to be useful.

Of course not (see the bit on lobotomies). <weg>

>> or 'helper cats around the home'?
>
>https://youtu.be/puYANVYxPys

Sorry, I must have missed the bit where they fetch the mail, turn on
the light or pick up the dropped keys (or warn of a fire, or the phone
ringing ...). ;-)

>>> They are usually quite careful.
>>
>> Still more often found 'up on stuff' than most dogs ...
>
>If a dog was up on stuff, it would knock everything over every time.

Correct, and why most 'aren't allowed' to do that, should they ever
want / try to in the first place.

>> I can't remember ever asking for advice re how to stop any of my dogs
>> getting up on my stereo. ;-)
>
>I didn't ask for advice, I gave a simple method to stop it.

True. Still, the sentiment still applies. You were telling us what
steps you had to do to prevent your (own) cat from doing things that
most dogs don't.

Just like the neighbours who put spikes or grease on the tops of their
fences, nets over their ponds or make sure they put bird feeders well
away from where cats would get good access to them. WTF should *they*
have to go though all that bother to protect their property from other
peoples pets?

I really hope they push to now get all cats chipped and their DNA
recorded. That way, when I find (yet more) cat cr*p in my back garden
I can get it tested, the owner found and fined. Maybe that might make
them think twice about letting *their* pet cr*p on *other peoples*
property?

You are a reasonable guy and have trained your cat to only use your
garden as a toilet so you would be up for that yes? ;-)

Anyway, I understand why you would (try to) defend your position so
can we leave it at 'Horses for courses'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 12, 2016, 9:15:58 PM4/12/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:48:25 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:05:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>> Nor did any of our dogs.
>>
>> Most dogs do.
>
> Not the dogs I've mixed with. The breeds that do dribble are often
> heavily crossbred (and not my idea of a 'good dog' either).

Common dogs like Labradors dribble and lick.

>>> As did our dogs?
>>
>> Really? You take them for a walk and they come back home with magically clean paws?
>
> They come back in with paws as clean as our feet or a cats paws for
> the same surfaces (and often wash them if not clean in any case).

Cats clean their paws. I have never seen a dog clean itself.

>>> Quite, just as it should be in polite society don't you think?
>>
>> Why are the needs of a human greater than that of a cat?
>
> Because that is the order of such things.

Stop evading the question. Why is your ego so great that you think you are more important than any other species?

> That's why the human owner
> would have action taken against them if they allowed their pet to make
> antisocial levels of noise, or fouling or anything that affected other
> humans.

Only if their neighbours are complete arseholes.

>>> Possibly, however I bet there are far fewer 'well trained' cats than
>>> dogs out there, especially when it comes to when they do when 'under
>>> control'.
>>
>> Cats shit in flower beds and fertilise them,
>
> I don't have a flower bed. I had a veg patch and do have gravel round
> my outbuildings and that's often covered in other peoples pets faeces.

Your vegetables grow better with manure.

>> dogs shit on pavements so you stand in it.
>
> Not if they are trained not to (or you clean up after them).

That doesn't always happen.

> If any of
> the owners(?) of the cats that use my garden as a toilet knocked on my
> door asking to clean their 'pet's' mess up I'd gladly let them.

I thought you were going to say you knocked on their doors and demanded it.

>> I've never stood in cat shit.
>
> You have been very very lucky then. I don't do it so often (in my own
> back garden,

Unless you walk through your flowerbeds, that would be unlikely.

> even though I don't own a cat)

Makes no difference, they never shit in their own territory. If you buy a cat, you will get no more shit in your garden.

> since I fitted the passive IR water blaster. ;-)
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B004YCUT4W

That's no good, it doesn't harm the cat.

> I wonder if there could be a 'cat tax' and these sorts of things could
> be paid for out of that?

A cat is not owned, it is free to roam. Good luck charging the cat itself.

>>> Really? I don't disbelieve what you say but I can't say I've ever seen
>>> it in practice? In fact I can't say I've ever seen a cat reliably (if
>>> ever) respond to any command, unless it involved food.
>>
>> There you go then, you reward it with food, or more food, or nicer food, when it behaves. And do the opposite when it misbehaves. Yelling at or kicking the cat would also be effective.
>
> Quite. Not having(?) one in the first place would be more so. ;-)

It's harder to train someone else's cat.

>>> 'Tiddles, come here ... ' (cat saunters off in the opposite
>>> direction).
>>>
>>> How easy is it to train them to be 'guide cats for the blind', or
>>> 'drug / money / cancer sniffer cats'
>>
>> Sniffing for drugs I do not consider to be useful.
>
> Of course not (see the bit on lobotomies). <weg>

I fail to see the connection.

>>> or 'helper cats around the home'?
>>
>> https://youtu.be/puYANVYxPys
>
> Sorry, I must have missed the bit where they fetch the mail, turn on
> the light or pick up the dropped keys (or warn of a fire, or the phone
> ringing ...). ;-)

Or more usually, a dog just bars all the fucking time for no reason.

You said above about pets causing a nuisance to neighbours. Well dogs wake people up, they disturb the peace, cats make fuck all noise. My uncle was fined £2000 for his barking dog.

>>> Still more often found 'up on stuff' than most dogs ...
>>
>> If a dog was up on stuff, it would knock everything over every time.
>
> Correct, and why most 'aren't allowed' to do that, should they ever
> want / try to in the first place.

I could prevent my cats from doing so if I wished, but most places they go up onto they do not damage anything.

>>> I can't remember ever asking for advice re how to stop any of my dogs
>>> getting up on my stereo. ;-)
>>
>> I didn't ask for advice, I gave a simple method to stop it.
>
> True. Still, the sentiment still applies. You were telling us what
> steps you had to do to prevent your (own) cat from doing things that
> most dogs don't.

A simple step.

The big benefit of cats is they don't need taking for a walk.

> Just like the neighbours who put spikes or grease on the tops of their
> fences, nets over their ponds or make sure they put bird feeders well
> away from where cats would get good access to them. WTF should *they*
> have to go though all that bother to protect their property from other
> peoples pets?

Because it's their property and they need to do whatever it takes to make it the way they want it.

> I really hope they push to now get all cats chipped and their DNA
> recorded. That way, when I find (yet more) cat cr*p in my back garden
> I can get it tested, the owner found and fined. Maybe that might make
> them think twice about letting *their* pet cr*p on *other peoples*
> property?

You'd have to catch the cat first to identify it. And I wouldn't chip my cat. Good luck in proving it's mine. Just because it might come in my catflap and eat my cat food, I can very easily say it's a stray.

> You are a reasonable guy and have trained your cat to only use your
> garden as a toilet so you would be up for that yes? ;-)

No, I would certainly not want them (4) shitting in my garden. My next door neighbour but one has extensive flowerbeds which they love digging and shitting in. It also keeps the guy amused trying to hit them with a supersoaker 500. And me amused watching him do so.

--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

jkn

Apr 13, 2016, 4:47:11 AM4/13/16
;-) ++! I laughed a lot at that, thanks Adam

(I like a cat in small doses, and as long as they don't cr&p in our garden or give a child toxoplasmosis)

J^n

Brian Gaff

Apr 13, 2016, 5:02:32 AM4/13/16
Does not exactly look that good though, does it?
Unfortunately cats seem to be liking to be warm to almost the charring of
fur extent for some reason. When we had an open fire when i was young one
used to wedge itself on the mantle piece but occasionally its tail dropped
off right in front of the fire. Usually there was a smell of burned fur
after a few seconds, the cat woke up gave everyone in the room an accusing
look and sloped off to sleep as close to the airing cupboard as possible.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

T i m

Apr 13, 2016, 5:40:55 AM4/13/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>> Cats shit in flower beds and fertilise them,
>>
>> I don't have a flower bed. I had a veg patch and do have gravel round
>> my outbuildings and that's often covered in other peoples pets faeces.
>
>Your vegetables grow better with manure.

Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
Toxocara.

<snip>

Cheers, T i m

Cursitor Doom

Apr 13, 2016, 5:57:12 AM4/13/16
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, ARW wrote:

> Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>
> http://lolworthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/types-of-cats-cunt.jpg

You have a Manx cat? How did you come by that?

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 8:24:11 AM4/13/16
That doesn't look like a Manx cat, not like the one on the Wikipedia page anyway.

--
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 8:25:10 AM4/13/16
Toxocara clearly isn't a problem since I've never seen it in the news.

Why not be a vegetarian yourself and shit in the garden?

My cats are vegetarians, they eat fish and vegetables only.

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Markski - Ski Mix Volume 51"

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 8:26:09 AM4/13/16
I'm not a perfectionist. A few spikes on the top of the amp isn't a problem. I prefer function over form.

Cats have no intelligence at all.

--
The wife said to me last night "If you turn the bedside lamp off I'll take it up the arse."
Maybe I should have waited for the bulb to cool down first.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 8:26:33 AM4/13/16
Cite some examples of people dying of this disease.

--
The record of having had intercourse the most frequently goes to a boy who was recorded to have had intercourse about 52,000 times over a period of 30 years. This means he had intercourse on average 33.3 times a week.

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Apr 13, 2016, 9:56:26 AM4/13/16
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 00:05:31 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
> >> Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go, ....
> >> and tend to have clean paws.
> Really? You take them for a walk and they come back home with magically
> clean paws?

We trained the cat to wait in the kitchen until his paws were clean and dry with the cat's towel.

I can't speak for other cats or their owners of course.

Owain

Andrew

Apr 13, 2016, 10:19:36 AM4/13/16
On 12/04/2016 21:27, Mr Macaw wrote:

> I can't spot it there. It looks like
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nzmb5xdetaq3ln/Nala%20cat%20on%20path.jpg?dl=0

Is it female, or has it been crawling underneath an electricians van to
acquire those black smudges ?.

T i m

Apr 13, 2016, 11:11:53 AM4/13/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 13:25:06 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:40:51 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Your vegetables grow better with manure.
>>
>> Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
>> Toxocara.
>
>Toxocara clearly isn't a problem since I've never seen it in the news.

Just because *you* haven't seen anything of it means nothing
(obviously).

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/

"Toxoplasmosis is considered to be a leading cause of death attributed
to food borne illness in the United States."

(for example)

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/epi.html#animal

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/cat-feces-in-compost.htm

<snip more irrational cat-owner nonsense and denial>

Think on all that when your cat (unlikely to be your dog) walks across
all the surfaces where *you* prepare food after it's carefully buried
it's cr*p in someone else's garden.

You are welcome. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 11:18:13 AM4/13/16
I see plenty of news articles about deaths, and not one was of that disease. Quote a *UK* stat of a percentage of deaths caused by the disease.

--
If the Internet is a superhighway, then AOL must be a fleet of farm equipment that straddles five lanes and pays no heed to "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 11:19:28 AM4/13/16
Yes it's female. Do males not have black patches?

--
How do you confuse a blonde?
You don't. They're born that way.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 11:20:36 AM4/13/16
For some reason mud is not traipsed into my house from cats. I assume they clean them themselves.

--
"The Ten Commandments contain 297 words.
The Bill of Rights is stated in 463 words.

T i m

Apr 13, 2016, 11:50:26 AM4/13/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:18:09 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>I see plenty of news articles about deaths, and not one was of that disease.

Really?

> Quote a *UK* stat of a percentage of deaths caused by the disease.

It's not all about deaths, it's ALL about the health risks to humans
and the common causes (cats):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-toxoplasma-spreads-and-spreads-8102711.html

https://www.tommys.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=389

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 11:54:01 AM4/13/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:50:24 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:18:09 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I see plenty of news articles about deaths, and not one was of that disease.
>
> Really?

Yes. I'd never even heard of that disease.

>> Quote a *UK* stat of a percentage of deaths caused by the disease.
>
> It's not all about deaths, it's ALL about the health risks to humans
> and the common causes (cats):
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-toxoplasma-spreads-and-spreads-8102711.html
>
> https://www.tommys.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=389

If you don't die, there was no problem.

--
Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

ARW

Apr 13, 2016, 1:11:11 PM4/13/16
"Cash" <.............\\@...............//.com> wrote in message
Very few have a "fur coat" these days.

--
Adam

ARW

Apr 13, 2016, 1:13:30 PM4/13/16
<spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message
Mine is self taught to just walk in and climb onto the white bed sheets -
hence it is a cunt.

--
Adam

Andrew

Apr 13, 2016, 1:33:07 PM4/13/16
On 13/04/2016 16:19, Mr Macaw wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:19:31 +0100, Andrew
> <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2016 21:27, Mr Macaw wrote:
>>

>>> I can't spot it there. It looks like
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nzmb5xdetaq3ln/Nala%20cat%20on%20path.jpg?dl=0
>>>

>> Is it female, or has it been crawling underneath an electricians van to
>> acquire those black smudges ?.
>
> Yes it's female. Do males not have black patches?

I believe the combination of white, ginger and black is only
possible in a female. Or that's what I always thought.

Andrew

Apr 13, 2016, 2:12:18 PM4/13/16
On 13/04/2016 16:19, Mr Macaw wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:19:31 +0100, Andrew
> <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2016 21:27, Mr Macaw wrote:
>>

>>> I can't spot it there. It looks like
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nzmb5xdetaq3ln/Nala%20cat%20on%20path.jpg?dl=0
>>>

>> Is it female, or has it been crawling underneath an electricians van to
>> acquire those black smudges ?.
>
> Yes it's female. Do males not have black patches?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/one-of-world-s-rarest-cats-given-to-rescue-centre-1-3609492

ARW

Apr 13, 2016, 2:33:06 PM4/13/16
"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>>
> <snip>
>
> IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)
>
> If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
> or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
> the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]
>
> The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
> (or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
> walk.
>
> A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
> because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
> itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).
>
> Cheers, T i m
>
> [1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
> then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
> 'cute'.
>
> 'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
> Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'
>
> (The answer was already and accurately provided by your chart of
> course). ;-)

Best just to keep all "meat" animals in captivty with restricted space and
then slaughter them for human consumption then?

I know how it works - I have worked in the chicken factory at T*****, at
slaughter houses plus several farms.

My cat is a cunt - 'but my cat is less of a cunt than me and I am a human".

--
Adam

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 3:01:15 PM4/13/16
Most humans are meat animals, so he must want humans all caged.

Why the *****?

> at slaughter houses plus several farms.
>
> My cat is a cunt - 'but my cat is less of a cunt than me and I am a human".

--
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 3:02:06 PM4/13/16
I was getting excited there as one of mine was (it ran off) exactly that colouring, but it was a female.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 3:07:25 PM4/13/16
200 females to 1 male according to genetics: http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-26177,00.html
Gingers are less gender specific, but still mostly male (I've got one).

--
NEWSFLASH!!! Bouncing elephantiasis woman destroys central Portsmouth

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 13, 2016, 3:08:35 PM4/13/16
Don't think so.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 3:10:19 PM4/13/16
Buy brown bed sheets, or fit an electric blanket with dangerously exposed wires.

--
Why don't Siamese cats come in pairs?

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 3:10:41 PM4/13/16
You have a bald cat?

--
TEACHER: Clyde, your composition on "My Dog" is exactly the same as your brother's. Did you copy his?
CLYDE : No, sir. It's the same dog.

T i m

Apr 13, 2016, 3:46:25 PM4/13/16
Sorry, what bit specifically was that in reply to Adam?

But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?

>I know how it works - I have worked in the chicken factory at T*****, at
>slaughter houses plus several farms.

As a meat eater (although very little these days) I am having animals
killed on my behalf (who wouldn't have existed in the first place was
it not for our consumption yada yada). However, I don't tend to eat
them alive or have them killed slowly as many predatory animals do
(often including cats). However, whilst it's what most animals have to
do to survive, it's not what most cats (or domestic pets) *have* to
do. Just as my dogs don't need to hunt and kill cats to survive (and
that was in spite of them mostly being 'Sight / snap hounds', like
whippets, and lurchers that probably would, given the need).

Don't get me wrong, I think cats are very clever (by design,
physically) it's just not what I would want from something that I
might look to as 'a companion'. Dogs have been 'mans best friend' and
lived and worked (being a big point) alongside man for thousands of
years and whilst cats have also been around for a long time, and
outside of keeping down vermin, they have really only been a
'possession'.

That said, what would kill the most rats in an hour, a terrier or a
cat?

<snip>

Anyway, none of that was the point in question <g> ... it was what
lengths some people seem to have to go to to stop their 'pet'
negatively impacting their lives (overheated amplifiers, making clean
sheets dirty, crapping in other people gardens etc) and whilst
offering little positive in return (IMHO), both to humanity and many
individuals (some of whom possess the things)! ;-)

If I walk into a house that has a cat I find they are so stupid they
don't realise I see no point in them and yet they still end up on my
lap (uninvited). Not content with assuming they have the right to be
there, they then claw me for no reason and at that point they are
likely to get drop kicked out of a window. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 4:03:57 PM4/13/16
It seemed obvious to me. Anywhere you don't like loose animals that eat meat, like "A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk"

> But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
> expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?

I can't comprehend that sentence, but unless you're a vegetarian, why do you consider yourself more moral than a cat?

>> I know how it works - I have worked in the chicken factory at T*****, at
>> slaughter houses plus several farms.
>
> As a meat eater (although very little these days) I am having animals
> killed on my behalf (who wouldn't have existed in the first place was
> it not for our consumption yada yada).

Tell that to the dead animal.

> However, I don't tend to eat
> them alive or have them killed slowly as many predatory animals do
> (often including cats).

Death is one million times more cruel than the torture beforehand. Would you rather I tortured you for a few hours then let you go to live the rest of your entire life, or killed you instantly?

> However, whilst it's what most animals have to
> do to survive, it's not what most cats (or domestic pets) *have* to
> do.

Easy enough to beat the shit out of any cat who does.

> Just as my dogs don't need to hunt and kill cats to survive (and
> that was in spite of them mostly being 'Sight / snap hounds', like
> whippets, and lurchers that probably would, given the need).
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think cats are very clever (by design,
> physically)

Actually, that tail is a very bad design, they seem unaware it's there. They hide under the sofa then wonder how I'm able to pull them back out.

> it's just not what I would want from something that I
> might look to as 'a companion'. Dogs have been 'mans best friend' and
> lived and worked (being a big point) alongside man for thousands of
> years and whilst cats have also been around for a long time, and
> outside of keeping down vermin, they have really only been a
> 'possession'.

A dog requires maintenance. A cat does not, just feeding. You give iut as much attention as you have time for.

> That said, what would kill the most rats in an hour, a terrier or a
> cat?

No idea, but mine manage to kill all rats and mice that appear. Before I got them, my neighbour was always complaining about rats coming up a drain in her garden, and on several occasions paid for an exterminator.

> <snip>
>
> Anyway, none of that was the point in question <g> ... it was what
> lengths some people seem to have to go to to stop their 'pet'
> negatively impacting their lives (overheated amplifiers,

Simple (and fun) fix.

> making clean sheets dirty,

I've not observed this with any of my 4.

> crapping in other people gardens etc)

Not my problem. And when others crap in my garden, I leave it as fertiliser. If I'm digging in the flowerbed, easy enough to shovel it into the bin, just as I'd dig up a weed.

> and whilst
> offering little positive in return (IMHO), both to humanity and many
> individuals (some of whom possess the things)! ;-)

They are company, just like a dog.

> If I walk into a house that has a cat I find they are so stupid they
> don't realise I see no point in them and yet they still end up on my
> lap (uninvited). Not content with assuming they have the right to be
> there, they then claw me for no reason and at that point they are
> likely to get drop kicked out of a window. ;-)

I've never had a cat attack me unless I was being nasty to it first. Dogs however are very territorial and like to bite "intruders" who are visiting a house. I've kicked many a dog to prevent that. On one occasion it started a heated argument between the owner, his wife, and their neighbour, after the dog I kicked landed arse over tit in her flowerbed.

--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.

Rod Speed

Apr 13, 2016, 4:13:59 PM4/13/16

"ARW" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Yes, that's what the chinese do.

> I know how it works - I have worked in the chicken factory at T*****, at
> slaughter houses plus several farms.

> My cat is a cunt

You know what they say about animals taking after their owners ?

Bob Eager

Apr 13, 2016, 5:55:04 PM4/13/16
About 1 in 3000 can be male (XXY). Often sterile, and I believe they
often have physical and mental problems.

Mr Macaw

Apr 13, 2016, 6:08:40 PM4/13/16
All cats have mental problems.

--
Football is a bunch of millionaires ruining a lawn -- Charlie Brooker

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 6:48:19 AM4/14/16
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 13:26:33 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:

> > (I like a cat in small doses, and as long as they don't cr&p in our garden or give a child toxoplasmosis)
>
> Cite some examples of people dying of this disease.

That's a good point plenty of peole have died from the actions of a dog.
It's not like dog shit doesnt; do harm, it can blind children.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/a1045626-Girl-blinded-by-dog-poo-Did-you-know-about-the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 6:49:27 AM4/14/16
Some owners are less clean than their pets.

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 6:57:55 AM4/14/16
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 16:11:53 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 13:25:06 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:40:51 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
> >> Toxocara.
> >
> >Toxocara clearly isn't a problem since I've never seen it in the news.
>
> Just because *you* haven't seen anything of it means nothing
> (obviously).
>
> http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/

How do people get toxoplasmosis?
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html

A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:

Eating undercooked, contaminated meat (especially pork, lamb, and venison).
Accidental ingestion of undercooked, contaminated meat after handling it and not washing hands thoroughly (Toxoplasma cannot be absorbed through intact skin).
Eating food that was contaminated by knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw, contaminated meat.How do people get toxoplasmosis?

> "Toxoplasmosis is considered to be a leading cause of death attributed
> to food borne illness in the United States."
>
> (for example)
>
> http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/epi.html#animal
>
> http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/cat-feces-in-compost.htm
>
> <snip more irrational cat-owner nonsense and denial>
>
> Think on all that when your cat (unlikely to be your dog) walks across
> all the surfaces where *you* prepare food after it's carefully buried
> it's cr*p in someone else's garden.

well my cat doesn't walk across food preparing work surfaces and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.

and it;s better behaved and more inteligent than Wodney too.

Well what isn't you may add :-)

Andrew

Apr 14, 2016, 7:10:44 AM4/14/16
On 14/04/2016 11:57, whisky-dave wrote:

> <snip> ..and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.

Did you watch it 24 hours/day ?.

Cats crap everywhere. Years ago they seemed to know how to dig a hole
and cover it over afterwards. These days, many of the cats around
where I live just seem to do a dump in the middle of a lawn, or on
top of a nice border annual. And I don't know what they put in
cat food these days, because what comes out the other end pongs
for ages.

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 7:17:02 AM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 12:10:39 +0100, Andrew <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

> On 14/04/2016 11:57, whisky-dave wrote:
>
>> <snip> ..and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.
>
> Did you watch it 24 hours/day ?.

If his cat used his neighbour's well, it probably assumed it was a huge toilet, that shows intelligence.

> Cats crap everywhere. Years ago they seemed to know how to dig a hole
> and cover it over afterwards. These days, many of the cats around
> where I live just seem to do a dump in the middle of a lawn, or on
> top of a nice border annual. And I don't know what they put in
> cat food these days, because what comes out the other end pongs
> for ages.

Mine crap, then dig. They know they have to dig, but they don't necessarily cover the shit. They don't know WHY they are digging.

--
The tired doctor was awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night. "Please, you have to come right over," pleaded the distraught young mother. "My child has swallowed a contraceptive."
The physician dressed quickly, but before he could get out the door, the phone rang again.

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 9:40:03 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 12:10:44 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
> On 14/04/2016 11:57, whisky-dave wrote:
>
> > <snip> ..and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.
>
> Did you watch it 24 hours/day ?.

No, But I have a front door which is locked when I leave in the morning and a back door which is also locked, and no windows left open and living on the 1st foor while jumping out would be possibel jumping back in again would not.

> Cats crap everywhere.

Including litter trays when provided.

>Years ago they seemed to know how to dig a hole
> and cover it over afterwards.

>These days, many of the cats around
> where I live just seem to do a dump in the middle of a lawn, or on
> top of a nice border annual. And I don't know what they put in
> cat food these days, because what comes out the other end pongs
> for ages.

and dogs don't ?

Dan S. MacAbre

Apr 14, 2016, 9:48:18 AM4/14/16
T i m wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>> I don't have a flower bed. I had a veg patch and do have gravel round
>>> my outbuildings and that's often covered in other peoples pets faeces.
>>
>> Your vegetables grow better with manure.
>
> Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
> Toxocara.
>
> <snip>
>
> Cheers, T i m

You might enjoy this. Or not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 10:18:39 AM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 03:57:51 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>How do people get toxoplasmosis?
>http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html
>
>A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:
>
> Eating undercooked, contaminated meat (especially pork, lamb, and venison).
> Accidental ingestion of undercooked, contaminated meat after handling it and not washing hands thoroughly (Toxoplasma cannot be absorbed through intact skin).
> Eating food that was contaminated by knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw, contaminated meat.How do people get toxoplasmosis?

Considering the topic I would have thought you would have at least
quoted the rest of the points mentioned on that link (but as I see you
are a cat owner I can see why you might not). ;-)

"Accidentally swallowing the parasite through contact with cat feces
that contain Toxoplasma. This might happen by

* cleaning a cat's litter box when the cat has shed Toxoplasma in
its feces
* touching or ingesting anything that has come into contact with
cat feces that contain Toxoplasma
* accidentally ingesting contaminated soil (e.g., not washing hands
after gardening or eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from a
garden)"

Some seemingly everyday actions ... especially for a 'cat owner'? ;-(

<snip>

>> Think on all that when your cat (unlikely to be your dog) walks across
>> all the surfaces where *you* prepare food after it's carefully buried
>> it's cr*p in someone else's garden.
>
>well my cat doesn't walk across food preparing work surfaces

How do you know that, OOI Dave?

>and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.

As Andrew asks, how do you know? The only way you could would be that
your cat never goes outside (excellent), your back garden is 100%
covered in or your cat too old / heavy / lazy to climb out?

>and it;s better behaved and more inteligent than Wodney too.

;-)

>Well what isn't you may add :-)

Well, I'd say 'most cat's that I'm aware of' but you might be right.

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 10:25:16 AM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 03:48:16 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 13:26:33 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
>
>> > (I like a cat in small doses, and as long as they don't cr&p in our garden or give a child toxoplasmosis)
>>
>> Cite some examples of people dying of this disease.
>
>That's a good point plenty of peole have died from the actions of a dog.
>It's not like dog shit doesnt; do harm, it can blind children.
>
>http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/a1045626-Girl-blinded-by-dog-poo-Did-you-know-about-the
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis

True, however, the discussion was about the fact that cats do (and
dogs don't) usually foul in *other peoples gardens* ... nor do dogs
typically climb all over the kitchen work surfaces etc etc.

All animals poop, it's just where they do it and what happens next
that most people are bothered about.

I don't own a cat (never have, never would [1]) and therefore don't
see why I should suffer their mess in my garden, especially around my
vegetable patch?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Well, unless I 'lose my marbles'. ;-)

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 10:54:35 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 15:18:39 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 03:57:51 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> >How do people get toxoplasmosis?
> >http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html
> >
> >A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:
> >
> > Eating undercooked, contaminated meat (especially pork, lamb, and venison).
> > Accidental ingestion of undercooked, contaminated meat after handling it and not washing hands thoroughly (Toxoplasma cannot be absorbed through intact skin).
> > Eating food that was contaminated by knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw, contaminated meat.How do people get toxoplasmosis?
>
> Considering the topic I would have thought you would have at least
> quoted the rest of the points mentioned on that link (but as I see you
> are a cat owner I can see why you might not). ;-)

Well there's little point in postingthe whole page just the more important bits.

> "Accidentally swallowing the parasite through contact with cat feces
> that contain Toxoplasma. This might happen by
>
> * cleaning a cat's litter box when the cat has shed Toxoplasma in
> its feces

So we cat owners do clear up then, dogs just leave it in the park.
While some owners do clean it up.
But if yuor'e clearing up any shit don't eat at teh same time and wash afterwoods.

> * touching or ingesting anything that has come into contact with
> cat feces that contain Toxoplasma

I would assume the same goes for dogs too.

> * accidentally ingesting contaminated soil (e.g., not washing hands
> after gardening or eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from a
> garden)"
>
> Some seemingly everyday actions ... especially for a 'cat owner'? ;-(

Not me, I've never found any fruits or vegetables in my garden you'll rarely see them on a plate to eat eather. The last thing I had from my garden was a carrot in 1995, still nothing to write home about.
Strange but a lot of farms tend to keep cats.

> >> Think on all that when your cat (unlikely to be your dog) walks across
> >> all the surfaces where *you* prepare food after it's carefully buried
> >> it's cr*p in someone else's garden.
> >
> >well my cat doesn't walk across food preparing work surfaces
>
> How do you know that, OOI Dave?.

I've had 3 cats since about 1994 only one attempted to jump up on the kitchen work surface I said no sterly, grabbed hold of him and gentily throw him out.

> >and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.
>
> As Andrew asks, how do you know? The only way you could would be that
> your cat never goes outside (excellent),

correct she doen't that's how I know.

and as for my previous cat I had a webcam on the cat flat so knew exactly when heb went out and came in, filmed documented and shown on a pet program in the USA.

> your back garden is 100%
> covered in or your cat too old / heavy / lazy to climb out?

She doesn;t want to go out in the garden she was like that with her 2 previous owners too. I leave the back door open she sits at the top of the stairs for 5 mins then goes back and settles down on the sofa.

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 11:09:34 AM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com>
wrote:
'Or not'. ;-)

The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
when they do.

So, birds poop contains all sorts of bad stuff but not generally an
issue unless you keep birds yourself, or live next to someone who
'keeps' racing pigeons.

And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
go bad.

So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.

And I'm all for that, along with storing the animals DNA on the same
file so when the owners allow them to do anything that impacts another
person, they (the owners) can be traced and dealt with. The same
*should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
own a cat) to be unacceptable.

Cheers, T i m

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 11:11:55 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 15:25:16 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 03:48:16 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Cite some examples of people dying of this disease.
> >
> >That's a good point plenty of peole have died from the actions of a dog.
> >It's not like dog shit doesnt; do harm, it can blind children.
> >
> >http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/a1045626-Girl-blinded-by-dog-poo-Did-you-know-about-the
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis
>
> True, however, the discussion was about the fact that cats do (and
> dogs don't) usually foul in *other peoples gardens* ... nor do dogs
> typically climb all over the kitchen work surfaces etc etc.

Cats donlt normally climb all over work surfaces either, maybe some let them do that but some let their dogs like their face, which is something I've never seen a cat do.

> All animals poop, it's just where they do it and what happens next
> that most people are bothered about.

Try which is why you see warnings in parks aimed at dogs not cats.
Few dometics cats have killed humans but avery month or so you'll hear of a dog attack, but I wopnlt blamne the dogs 99% of teh time it's the owners and that is true of cat owners too who let their cat walk over kitchen work surfaces.

> I don't own a cat (never have, never would [1]) and therefore don't
> see why I should suffer their mess in my garden, especially around my
> vegetable patch?

I've seen vegatable patches protected from birds surely theres a safe way to protect them, not that I know a lot about veg unless it comes out of a tin with a ring pull, and they say the best thing since sliced bread ....!!!!

> Cheers, T i m
>
> [1] Well, unless I 'lose my marbles'. ;-)

Assuming you started with any ;-P

whisky-dave

Apr 14, 2016, 11:42:32 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 16:09:34 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com>
> wrote:
>
> >T i m wrote:
> >> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
> >> Toxocara.
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Cheers, T i m
> >>

> >You might enjoy this. Or not.
> >
> >http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html
>

> 'Or not'. ;-)
>
> The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
> issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
> when they do.

I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with. Dogs and cats are quite diffenrt dogds have been brought up to live amihnst humans for a lot longer than cats have. Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do what they want.

> And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
> isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
> and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
> go bad.

I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.

> So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
> steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
> chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.

I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.

> And I'm all for that, along with storing the animals DNA on the same
> file so when the owners allow them to do anything that impacts another
> person, they (the owners) can be traced and dealt with.

I feel the same way about people especially kids.

> The same
> *should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
> people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
> own a cat) to be unacceptable.

I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable

> Cheers, T i m

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 1:09:27 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:42:29 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 14 April 2016 16:09:34 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com>
>> wrote:

>> >You might enjoy this. Or not.
>> >
>> >http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html
>>

>> 'Or not'. ;-)
>>
>> The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
>> issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
>> when they do.
>
>I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with.

No, true, other than by not choosing say a cat as a pet in the first
place. Just as you wouldn't say choose a breed of dog that looks like
a 'dangerous breed' or one prone to some medical weakness or
condition.

>Dogs and cats are quite diffenrt dogds have been brought up to live amihnst humans for a lot longer than cats have.

I'm not sure what the timelines are but you are probably right.

>Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do what they want.

Yes, so if I wanted something that wasn't going to be a benefit or
asset to me then I too could choose a cat (or budgie or goldfish) for
a pet. However, I prefer something that I can take out with me,
something that get's me outdoors and some fresh air and exercise and
at the same time actually want to be with me and have some fun (like
retrieving a ball or racing etc). I'm not saying that a more 'indoor'
pet isn't good or even better than a dog for anyone else (and there
are many instances where a dog is far from the best solution of
course) and as a kid I've kept tropical fish, Guinea pigs and a rabbit
but none of them compared with a dog as a 'companion'.

>> And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
>> isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
>> and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
>> go bad.
>
>I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.

I don't think we (in general and certainly not in urban environments)
would be overrun with rats or mice and I think you would need far more
cats than are realistic to actually control the vermin population
effectively, even on a farm.

>> So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
>> steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
>> chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.
>
>I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.

And good for you for doing so (whatever the reason) ... you are at
least demonstrating some responsibility towards the cat. ;-)

>> And I'm all for that, along with storing the animals DNA on the same
>> file so when the owners allow them to do anything that impacts another
>> person, they (the owners) can be traced and dealt with.
>
>I feel the same way about people especially kids.

('Some kids' ...) Quite ... but that is a different topic. ;-)

>> The same
>> *should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
>> people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
>> own a cat) to be unacceptable.
>
>I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable

Again, agreed and I'm lucky in that I've never had to commute any
distance or regularly by car and still only use the car when
necessary.

I think vehicle pollution is one of those things that is 'transparent
to most of us (apart from the smog of old days in London and still in
some big cities around the world). I think they should put some (non
toxic) chemical that makes bright smoke (al-la Red Arrows) in car
fuel for just one day and it might make people realise just how much
'stuff' is produced by them just driving to the shops (when they could
probably do so on foot).

Cheers, T i m

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 1:28:56 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:11:53 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> True, however, the discussion was about the fact that cats do (and
>> dogs don't) usually foul in *other peoples gardens* ... nor do dogs
>> typically climb all over the kitchen work surfaces etc etc.
>
>Cats donlt normally climb all over work surfaces either,

Really? I'm pretty sure every house I've ever been in that has a cat
(or more than one) sees them up on pretty well everything they can?
Including sitting on peoples HiFi and laptops. ;-)

>maybe some let them do

No maybe about it mate. ;-)

> that but some let their dogs like their face, which is something I've never seen a cat do.

True, that does seem to be more of a dog thing but again, generally
doesn't affect anyone other than the person being licked (if they
allow the dog to etc). Not the same as someone making me some food
from a worktop walked over by their cat.

>> All animals poop, it's just where they do it and what happens next
>> that most people are bothered about.
>
>Try which is why you see warnings in parks aimed at dogs not cats.

No, because neither cats nor dogs can read and few cat owners take
their cats out for a walk in the park. ;-)

>Few dometics cats have killed humans

Only those poor b*stards who die in car accidents whilst swerving to
miss a 'free roaming' cat or all the people made ill because of the
toxins etc.

>but avery month or so you'll hear of a dog attack,

I'm not sure it's 'every month' (but then I don't go looking etc) but
you may well be right (even if not bad enough to make the news etc).

> but I wopnlt blamne the dogs 99% of teh time

No, quite, whilst any dog has the potential to attack anything (they
all come from wolves after all) most never do, even when provoked and
badly tortured. Unfortunately, dogs are easy to train and therefore
you will find some who are trained to attack (like Police dogs).

> it's the owners and that is true of cat owners too who let their cat walk over kitchen work surfaces.

Sort of ... it is a cats natural desire to get up on stuff, be it
trees, on top of cars (much to our neighbours dismay because of the
damage done to their cars by cats). Cat's 'climb', that's what they
do, few dogs have ever been 'rescued from trees' by the Fire Brigade
for example. ;-)

>> I don't own a cat (never have, never would [1]) and therefore don't
>> see why I should suffer their mess in my garden, especially around my
>> vegetable patch?
>
>I've seen vegatable patches protected from birds surely theres a safe way to protect them,

Yes, you can take measures and you often have to against 'wild'
animals. I don't see why anyone should have to from anyone else's
'pet'? ;-(

>not that I know a lot about veg unless it comes out of a tin with a ring pull, and they say the best thing since sliced bread ....!!!!

I understand that even canned veg is better than no veg at all and
admit to relying on loads of frozen veg because our eating habits
aren't regular or predictable enough to not see loads of fresh veg go
into the recycling. ;-(

>> [1] Well, unless I 'lose my marbles'. ;-)
>
>Assuming you started with any ;-P

Well, yes ... that sorta went without saying Dave. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

ARW

Apr 14, 2016, 1:55:44 PM4/14/16
"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

--
Adam

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 1:55:45 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 07:54:32 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>> Considering the topic I would have thought you would have at least
>> quoted the rest of the points mentioned on that link (but as I see you
>> are a cat owner I can see why you might not). ;-)
>
>Well there's little point in postingthe whole page just the more important bits.

Quite, the bits that were important to the topic in hand. It was
clearly stating that it's the risks from cats poo. ;-(

>> "Accidentally swallowing the parasite through contact with cat feces
>> that contain Toxoplasma. This might happen by
>>
>> * cleaning a cat's litter box when the cat has shed Toxoplasma in
>> its feces
>
>So we cat owners do clear up then,

Yes, from the inside of your own houses, again, not really the issue.
;-(

>dogs just leave it in the park.

As cats do?

>While some owners do clean it up.

Most dog owners do (or risk a fine if seen if they don't). Very few
cat owners do.

>But if yuor'e clearing up any shit don't eat at teh same time and wash afterwoods.

Well, quite. But what if you aren't clearing up sh1t. What if you are
like our daughter and doing some gardening for an old lady in her back
garden and unknowingly comes against some cat sh1t, even though the
householder doesn't own a cat? Hardly likely to come across any dog
sh1t there is she and whilst she generally washes her hands before
eating, it's not always easy.

>> * touching or ingesting anything that has come into contact with
>> cat feces that contain Toxoplasma
>
>I would assume the same goes for dogs too.

I'm sure there is something bad with most animal poo Dave, the point
is that why should I be at risk or have to deal with cat sh1t at all
when I don't even have a cat? I don't have a dog (or any pets atm) and
whilst I have cleaned up the odd instance of dog mess from the front
pavement, it's still not my (private) back garden and on my vegetable
patch. ;-(

>> * accidentally ingesting contaminated soil (e.g., not washing hands
>> after gardening or eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from a
>> garden)"
>>
>> Some seemingly everyday actions ... especially for a 'cat owner'? ;-(
>
>Not me, I've never found any fruits or vegetables in my garden you'll rarely see them on a plate to eat eather.

I meant (including) clearing out your cat's litter. You do do that
don't you?

> The last thing I had from my garden was a carrot in 1995, still nothing to write home about.

;-)

>Strange but a lot of farms tend to keep cats.

Or they 'inherit them more like? And it's not the same sort of thing
with cats and their fouling on a few hundred acres of farmland (if
they ever ventured that far out) versus my 4 sq m of veg patch in my
fenced back garden.

>> >well my cat doesn't walk across food preparing work surfaces
>>
>> How do you know that, OOI Dave?.
>
>I've had 3 cats since about 1994 only one attempted to jump up on the kitchen work surface I said no sterly, grabbed hold of him and gentily throw him out.

And when you aren't there and they are?

>> >and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last 4 years anyway.
>>
>> As Andrew asks, how do you know? The only way you could would be that
>> your cat never goes outside (excellent),
>
>correct she doen't that's how I know.

Good. I did link to a cat site that suggested indoor cats lived longer
and were happier and it should be the direction all cats should go in.

>and as for my previous cat I had a webcam on the cat flat so knew exactly when heb went out and came in, filmed documented and shown on a pet program in the USA.

Cool. ;-)

>> your back garden is 100%
>> covered in or your cat too old / heavy / lazy to climb out?
>
>She doesn;t want to go out in the garden she was like that with her 2 previous owners too. I leave the back door open she sits at the top of the stairs for 5 mins then goes back and settles down on the sofa.

Good girl. ;-)

It seems you have the ideal setup there (well, other than not having
one at all or them living in a different country or planet <g>) and I
think I speak for most non-cat owners there. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mike Tomlinson

Apr 14, 2016, 2:11:18 PM4/14/16
En el artículo <neolck$kf6$1...@dont-email.me>, ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk> escribió:

>I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

Yes.

And little Dwayne and Chantelle need to be taught from an early age
where their McBurgers and those pink cuts of meat in the supermarket
come from.

Not only that, how they are made from four-legged beasts eating grass
going "moo" to transport on overcrowded lorries, to slaughter (including
the inhumane practice of halal slaughter), to processing, to the
eventual pretty-packed end product.

Optional would be the addition of dodgy meat from various other animals,
including those going "meow" ending up in food from your local chinky,
to those going "neigh" being used to cheaply bulk meat out, to people in
other countries eating Fido for dinner.

I'd go veggie if I could afford it, and if I could be arsed.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

ARW

Apr 14, 2016, 2:13:05 PM4/14/16
"jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:16:56 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
>> "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:50:03 +0100, ARW
>> > <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk>

>> > Yes, it stops it sleeping upside down.
>>

>> What breed is it?
>>
>> Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>>
>> http://lolworthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/types-of-cats-cunt.jpg
>>
>> --
>> Adam
>
> ;-) ++! I laughed a lot at that, thanks Adam

Try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJLGJq6KpY

--
Adam

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 2:14:44 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:57:51 +0100, whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 16:11:53 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

>> >Toxocara clearly isn't a problem since I've never seen it in the news.
>>
>> Just because *you* haven't seen anything of it means nothing
>> (obviously).
>>
>> http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/
>
> How do people get toxoplasmosis?
> http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html
>
> A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:
>
> Eating undercooked, contaminated meat (especially pork, lamb, and venison).
> Accidental ingestion of undercooked, contaminated meat after handling it and not washing hands thoroughly (Toxoplasma cannot be absorbed through intact skin).
> Eating food that was contaminated by knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw, contaminated meat.How do people get toxoplasmosis?

But it's rare.

--
Drugs lead nowhere, but it's the scenic route.

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 2:15:40 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:39:24 +0100, Tim Streater
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

>In article <smjvgbdt4bbqjs3ag...@4ax.com>, T i m
><ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:11:53 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
>><whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>but avery month or so you'll hear of a dog attack,
>>
>>I'm not sure it's 'every month' (but then I don't go looking etc) but
>>you may well be right (even if not bad enough to make the news etc).
>
>SWMBO got bitten by a dog last year on polling day.

Yup, it happens. My Mum nearly got her finger bitten off (and possibly
by her own dog) when her dog was attacked by another And she tried to
separate them (hers was on the lead, the other one wasn't (of
course)).

She actually did what it's said you should and stuck her finger up the
other dogs ar$e and it let go of her dog instantly!

> Had to go to Medway
>Hospital A&E.

She was ok presumably?

> But it was really the useless toad of a dog-owner's
>fault.

Yup, irresponsible people are all over the place. I can say with
conviction we have had dogs (mostly whippets) in our family most of my
nearly 60 years and not one of them has ever bitten anyone or attacked
anything. [1]

>Still, being at the count that evening and being present when
>Reckless got his ticket of leave made up for it to some extent.

(I'm sure that would mean something to someone). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We took on a lurcher from the Wood Green Animal Shelter and soon
after getting him I was walking him (to heel) on an expanding lead in
a local park. We approached a lady walking a small white dog that
looked very much like a rabbit and just as we passed them, the lurcher
leapt ('lurched?') in front of me and in the same movement, grabbed
this 'thing' by the neck and threw it into the air. I batted my dog
away with my calf before he had another 'go' and the woman had a go at
me for 'kicking my dog'! No animals were hurt during the telling of
this story but I did keep him on a locked lead until we had him under
full control (and the problem taking on other peoples problems).

This is a picture of the most intelligent dog (bitch) I've ever come
across and we had her from about 6 months old. She was even called
'Kitty' (whilst on the cat theme, the name she came with from the
Whippet Rescue) and nicknamed 'Wilf' amongst other things). ;-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772409/Wilf.jpg

(They think she was a whippet / terrier cross).

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 2:19:01 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:55:38 +0100, "ARW"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>> But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
>> expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?
>
>I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

Unfortunately (for me and many others) I think you are right mate.

I don't think you should be able to buy meat from the shops unless you
show your 'Attendance certificate'. ;-(

I think the chances are I'd probably give up the little meat I eat now
days entirely before getting my certificate ...

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 2:20:00 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:55:43 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 07:54:32 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>> Considering the topic I would have thought you would have at least
>>> quoted the rest of the points mentioned on that link (but as I see you
>>> are a cat owner I can see why you might not). ;-)
>>
>> Well there's little point in postingthe whole page just the more important bits.
>
> Quite, the bits that were important to the topic in hand. It was
> clearly stating that it's the risks from cats poo. ;-(

Or any poo from any animal, which carries the same tiny little risk nobody worries about.

>>> "Accidentally swallowing the parasite through contact with cat feces
>>> that contain Toxoplasma. This might happen by
>>>
>>> * cleaning a cat's litter box when the cat has shed Toxoplasma in
>>> its feces
>>
>> So we cat owners do clear up then,
>
> Yes, from the inside of your own houses, again, not really the issue.
> ;-(
>
>> dogs just leave it in the park.
>
> As cats do?
>
>> While some owners do clean it up.
>
> Most dog owners do (or risk a fine if seen if they don't). Very few
> cat owners do.

Then why am I always having to avoid it on pavements?

>> But if yuor'e clearing up any shit don't eat at teh same time and wash afterwoods.
>
> Well, quite. But what if you aren't clearing up sh1t. What if you are
> like our daughter and doing some gardening for an old lady in her back
> garden and unknowingly comes against some cat sh1t, even though the
> householder doesn't own a cat? Hardly likely to come across any dog
> sh1t there is she and whilst she generally washes her hands before
> eating, it's not always easy.

If you're gardening, you have a trowel in your hand for example. Scoop up the shit and drop it in the bin. Simple.

>>> * touching or ingesting anything that has come into contact with
>>> cat feces that contain Toxoplasma
>>
>> I would assume the same goes for dogs too.
>
> I'm sure there is something bad with most animal poo Dave, the point
> is that why should I be at risk or have to deal with cat sh1t at all
> when I don't even have a cat? I don't have a dog (or any pets atm) and
> whilst I have cleaned up the odd instance of dog mess from the front
> pavement, it's still not my (private) back garden and on my vegetable
> patch. ;-(

If the cat is in your garden and you don't like it, fire something at it. A supersoaker 500, or a soft dart gun.

>>> * accidentally ingesting contaminated soil (e.g., not washing hands
>>> after gardening or eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from a
>>> garden)"
>>>
>>> Some seemingly everyday actions ... especially for a 'cat owner'? ;-(
>>
>> Not me, I've never found any fruits or vegetables in my garden you'll rarely see them on a plate to eat eather.
>
> I meant (including) clearing out your cat's litter. You do do that
> don't you?

Cat litter is for people who have just bought a cat and are keeping it inside for the first two weeks to get it used to moving house. Why on earth would you have cat litter when you can let it do it outside? Shit indoors fucking stinks - why do you think we have extractor fans in bathrooms?

>> Strange but a lot of farms tend to keep cats.
>
> Or they 'inherit them more like? And it's not the same sort of thing
> with cats and their fouling on a few hundred acres of farmland (if
> they ever ventured that far out) versus my 4 sq m of veg patch in my
> fenced back garden.

It's cleaner to have cats than rats on your farm.

>>> How do you know that, OOI Dave?.
>>
>> I've had 3 cats since about 1994 only one attempted to jump up on the kitchen work surface I said no sterly, grabbed hold of him and gentily throw him out.
>
> And when you aren't there and they are?

It's nothing to worry about. We have an immune system which kills 99.9% of stuff we pick up.

>>> As Andrew asks, how do you know? The only way you could would be that
>>> your cat never goes outside (excellent),
>>
>> correct she doen't that's how I know.
>
> Good. I did link to a cat site that suggested indoor cats lived longer
> and were happier and it should be the direction all cats should go in.

The site is bullshit. If cats preferred to go indoors, they would stay inside when a catflap is present. 99% don't. I heard of ONE that was nervous and stayed in.

>> and as for my previous cat I had a webcam on the cat flat so knew exactly when heb went out and came in, filmed documented and shown on a pet program in the USA.
>
> Cool. ;-)

Invasion of the cat's privacy and totally unnecessary.

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 2:27:06 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:13:00 +0100, "ARW"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJLGJq6KpY

Brilliant (and true <ducks>). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

ARW

Apr 14, 2016, 2:42:25 PM4/14/16
"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
Trust me. There are teens that do not know where potatoes come from (they
say "the supermarket" when asked)

--
Adam

ARW

Apr 14, 2016, 2:51:59 PM4/14/16
"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Mine is the second one down on the first column.
>>
> <snip>
>
> IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)
>
> If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
> or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
> the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]
>
> The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
> (or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
> walk.
>
> A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
> because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
> itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).
>
> Cheers, T i m
>
> [1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
> then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
> 'cute'.
>
> 'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
> Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'
>
> (The answer was already and accurately provided by your chart of
> course). ;-)

I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.

I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so I
cannot have one. My cat has no idea I am at work as it is asleep most of the
day.

--
Adam

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 3:03:55 PM4/14/16
No, I believe you and I think it's a sad state of affairs.

I was reminded just how bad things are getting when a elderly family
friend was talking about dumping all her husbands old tools because
'none of the children want them'. ;-(

Or is it getting bad or is just things are changing away what most
here probably accepted as 'perfectly normal'?

Few want to be real (hands on / oily rag type) 'Engineers' these days,
preferring to sit in front of a screen programming stuff ... 'Software
Engineers'?

So, few service their own vehicles any more (even the bits they could
do), few fix their own household appliances (when in many cases they
could, if only they tried) and it seems few can even fit a plug top or
as you say, know where most of their food (or anything for that
matter) comes from. ;-(

I think they should dump religious / media studies at school and feed
them continuous episodes of 'How it' made' and 'Food unwrapped'
instead. Actual programs that relate to the world they live in, not
just following (and worse aspiring) to some bogus / faux 'celebrity.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I'm pleased to state that our (25 yr old) daughter has no
interest (what so ever) in any of that celebrity BS and of the little
television she watches, Mastermind and University Challenge are right
at the top (and she amazes us re just how much she knows about the
'older stuff'). ;-)

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 3:39:27 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.

What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)

>I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so I
>cannot have one.

Is the right answer. Well, you could, as long as it was either old and
slept most the time or you had someone who could give it a good walk
midday.

We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or both) of us
were generally close enough to be able to give them the best part of
an hours walk every lunchtime.

> My cat has no idea I am at work as it is asleep most of the
>day.

Pointless things, well, unless it's a 'guard cat'? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 3:54:13 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:39:25 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.
>
> What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
> even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
> breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)
>>
>> I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so I
>> cannot have one.
>
> Is the right answer. Well, you could, as long as it was either old and
> slept most the time or you had someone who could give it a good walk
> midday.
>
> We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or both) of us
> were generally close enough to be able to give them the best part of
> an hours walk every lunchtime.

Doesn't a dog only need one good walk a day? He could do that after work or before work.

--
I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist.
Then she told me the truth: that she was seeing a psychiatrist, two plumbers, and a bartender.

Vir Campestris

Apr 14, 2016, 4:18:59 PM4/14/16
On 13/04/2016 22:55, Bob Eager wrote:
> About 1 in 3000 can be male (XXY). Often sterile, and I believe they
> often have physical and mental problems.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How can you tell?

Andy

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 14, 2016, 4:26:57 PM4/14/16
On 14/04/16 18:11, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> those going "neigh" being used to cheaply bulk meat out, to people in
> other countries eating Fido for dinner.
All pretty good eating.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 4:27:06 PM4/14/16
Arrows don't work. Most people have had proportional fonts for the last few decades.

--
You can't polish a turd, but it's funny as fuck watching someone try.

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 4:50:48 PM4/14/16
I only care for intelligent animals. I don't consider cows intelligent.

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline Luggage. -- Mark Russell

Mike Tomlinson

Apr 14, 2016, 4:51:28 PM4/14/16
En el artículo <neouee$obn$3...@news.albasani.net>, The Natural Philosopher
<t...@invalid.invalid> escribió:

>On 14/04/16 18:11, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>> those going "neigh" being used to cheaply bulk meat out, to people in
>> other countries eating Fido for dinner.

>All pretty good eating.

Sure, but try telling darling Chardonnay that her little pony is going
to be dinner.

Mr Macaw

Apr 14, 2016, 4:54:26 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:03:52 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:42:19 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:55:38 +0100, "ARW"
>>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Unfortunately (for me and many others) I think you are right mate.
>>>
>>> I don't think you should be able to buy meat from the shops unless you
>>> show your 'Attendance certificate'. ;-(
>>>
>>> I think the chances are I'd probably give up the little meat I eat now
>>> days entirely before getting my certificate ...
>>

>> Trust me. There are teens that do not know where potatoes come from (they
>> say "the supermarket" when asked)
>
> No, I believe you and I think it's a sad state of affairs.
>
> I was reminded just how bad things are getting when a elderly family
> friend was talking about dumping all her husbands old tools because
> 'none of the children want them'. ;-(

Don't they know what freecycle is?

> Or is it getting bad or is just things are changing away what most
> here probably accepted as 'perfectly normal'?
>
> Few want to be real (hands on / oily rag type) 'Engineers' these days,
> preferring to sit in front of a screen programming stuff ... 'Software
> Engineers'?
>
> So, few service their own vehicles any more (even the bits they could
> do),

I've tried, but I end up with oil all over myself and the drive. Either that or the bolt gets sheared off, or the spanner used to turn it comes loose and smacks me in the face, or my hand slips and I slice my finger on a rusty edge.

> few fix their own household appliances (when in many cases they
> could, if only they tried)

I worked with an American professor who actually bought a new microwave oven because the bulb had gone. I asked him why he didn't change it and he said it was dangerous to do so. When I said the microwaves are only present when it's switched on, he was surprised. He thought it was some kind of radiation from a sealed isotope.

> and it seems few can even fit a plug top or
> as you say, know where most of their food (or anything for that
> matter) comes from. ;-(

They should never have had that stupid law about plugs being fitted when you buy things. What a waste. Why not reuse the old ones?

> I think they should dump religious / media studies at school and feed
> them continuous episodes of 'How it' made' and 'Food unwrapped'
> instead. Actual programs that relate to the world they live in, not
> just following (and worse aspiring) to some bogus / faux 'celebrity.

Indeed.

--
The Artist Formerly Known As Prince has a new album out.
It's called "The Songs Formerly Known As Hits."

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 14, 2016, 4:58:24 PM4/14/16
On 14/04/16 20:38, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> En el artículo <neouee$obn$3...@news.albasani.net>, The Natural Philosopher
> <t...@invalid.invalid> escribió:
>
>> On 14/04/16 18:11, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>>> those going "neigh" being used to cheaply bulk meat out, to people in
>>> other countries eating Fido for dinner.
>
>> All pretty good eating.
>
> Sure, but try telling darling Chardonnay that her little pony is going
> to be dinner.

Well Little Miss Piggy got a roast up tonite.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

T i m

Apr 14, 2016, 5:05:43 PM4/14/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:54:08 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:39:25 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.
>>
>> What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
>> even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
>> breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)
>>>
>>> I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so I
>>> cannot have one.
>>
>> Is the right answer. Well, you could, as long as it was either old and
>> slept most the time or you had someone who could give it a good walk
>> midday.
>>
>> We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or both) of us
>> were generally close enough to be able to give them the best part of
>> an hours walk every lunchtime.
>
>Doesn't a dog only need one good walk a day?

One *good* walk, ideally, yes (depending on breed / age / health etc).

> He could do that after work or before work.

He could, however, it's the amount of time in between both human
contact and a chance to have a toilet break (most dogs only go
outside, typically in the owners back garden) more regularly than yer
typical 8+ hours away at work.

And this desire for contact is usually bi-directional.

Our family dogs, the whippet is known for their desire for human
companionship and were known to sleep on the foot of the children's
bed when they were more common, especially 'up Norf'.

Whilst they don't like water as much as say a Retriever, std Poodle or
Setter, they will happily get wet if it means being with their owner.

However, to see a whippet at it's best you have to see one (or more)
run and they are *the* fastest accelerating dog in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmTTUPLrc5M

They are no fans of cats either. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Rod Speed

Apr 14, 2016, 5:47:10 PM4/14/16

"Andrew" <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 14/04/2016 11:57, whisky-dave wrote:
>
>> <snip> ..and has never craped in anyone elses garden wel not in the last
>> 4 years anyway.
>
> Did you watch it 24 hours/day ?.

More likely its never allowed out.

> Cats crap everywhere.

None has ever crapped on my dinner plate.

> Years ago they seemed to know how to dig a hole and cover it over
> afterwards. These days, many of the cats around where I live just seem to
> do a dump in the middle of a lawn, or on top of a nice border annual.

That's only those damned immigrant cats, stupid.

> And I don't know what they put in cat food these days,

What those unspeakable immigrant cats like to eat, stupid.

> because what comes out the other end pongs for ages.

Just as true of currys.

Mike Tomlinson

Apr 14, 2016, 8:35:55 PM4/14/16
En el artículo <nep09c$rg2$1...@news.albasani.net>, The Natural Philosopher
<t...@invalid.invalid> escribió:

>Well Little Miss Piggy got a roast up tonite.

You spit roasted her with Camoron?

F Murtz

Apr 14, 2016, 8:47:00 PM4/14/16
Mr Macaw wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:13:06 +0100, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> We trained the cat to wait in the kitchen until his paws were clean and
>>> dry with the cat's towel.
>>>
>>> I can't speak for other cats or their owners of course.
>>>

>> Mine is self taught to just walk in and climb onto the white bed sheets -
>> hence it is a cunt.
>
> Buy brown bed sheets, or fit an electric blanket with dangerously
> exposed wires.

Or glue carpet grippers to your sheets. :)

Rod Speed

Apr 14, 2016, 11:23:04 PM4/14/16

"whisky-dave" <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thursday, 14 April 2016 16:09:34 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com>
>> wrote:

>> >You might enjoy this. Or not.
>> >
>> >http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/beware-of-the-cat-britains-hidden-toxoplasma-problem-8102860.html
>>

>> 'Or not'. ;-)
>>
>> The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
>> issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
>> when they do.
>
> I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with. Dogs and cats are
> quite diffenrt dogds have been brought up to live amihnst humans for a lot
> longer than cats have. Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do
> what they want.
>

>> And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
>> isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
>> and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
>> go bad.
>
> I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I
> often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.
>

>> So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
>> steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
>> chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.
>
> I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and
> theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.
>

>> And I'm all for that, along with storing the animals DNA on the same
>> file so when the owners allow them to do anything that impacts another
>> person, they (the owners) can be traced and dealt with.
>
> I feel the same way about people especially kids.
>
>> The same
>> *should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
>> people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
>> own a cat) to be unacceptable.
>
> I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable

Then you need to do the decent thing and set fire to yourself in Oxford St.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 1:48:36 AM4/15/16

> "T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:33:02 +0100, "ARW"
>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message

>>>Best just to keep all "meat" animals in captivty with restricted space
>>>and
>>>then slaughter them for human consumption then?
>>
>> Sorry, what bit specifically was that in reply to Adam?
>>
>> But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
>> expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?
>
> I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

What's the point ? I don't bother to tour sewers that are in use either.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 2:10:27 AM4/15/16

"Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message news:op.yfw87...@red.lan...
The only time I do is when planting seedlings which is very rarely.

> Scoop up the shit and drop it in the bin. Simple.

Its still got some of what came from that shit in the soil.

>>> I would assume the same goes for dogs too.
>>
>> I'm sure there is something bad with most animal poo Dave, the point
>> is that why should I be at risk or have to deal with cat sh1t at all
>> when I don't even have a cat? I don't have a dog (or any pets atm) and
>> whilst I have cleaned up the odd instance of dog mess from the front
>> pavement, it's still not my (private) back garden and on my vegetable
>> patch. ;-(
>
> If the cat is in your garden and you don't like it, fire something at it.
> A supersoaker 500, or a soft dart gun.

Too much farting around.

>>> Not me, I've never found any fruits or vegetables in my garden you'll
>>> rarely see them on a plate to eat eather.
>>
>> I meant (including) clearing out your cat's litter. You do do that
>> don't you?
>
> Cat litter is for people who have just bought a cat and are keeping it
> inside for the first two weeks to get it used to moving house. Why on
> earth would you have cat litter when you can let it do it outside? Shit
> indoors fucking stinks - why do you think we have extractor fans in
> bathrooms?
>
>>> Strange but a lot of farms tend to keep cats.
>>
>> Or they 'inherit them more like? And it's not the same sort of thing
>> with cats and their fouling on a few hundred acres of farmland (if
>> they ever ventured that far out) versus my 4 sq m of veg patch in my
>> fenced back garden.
>
> It's cleaner to have cats than rats on your farm.

Ratter dogs do a much better job.

>>> I've had 3 cats since about 1994 only one attempted to jump up on the
>>> kitchen work surface I said no sterly, grabbed hold of him and gentily
>>> throw him out.
>>
>> And when you aren't there and they are?
>
> It's nothing to worry about. We have an immune system which kills 99.9%
> of stuff we pick up.

Doesn't work with toxoplasmosis.

>>> correct she doen't that's how I know.
>>
>> Good. I did link to a cat site that suggested indoor cats lived longer
>> and were happier and it should be the direction all cats should go in.
>
> The site is bullshit.

True.

> If cats preferred to go indoors, they would stay inside when a catflap is
> present. 99% don't. I heard of ONE that was nervous and stayed in.

I've never even heard of one that stupid.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 2:20:19 AM4/15/16

"ARW" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
What are the terriers like personality wise ?
Never had anything to do with those.

> I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so
> I cannot have one.

Corse you can, worked fine for me.

> My cat has no idea I am at work as it is asleep most of the day.

The one that headed off to the neighbours for a second
breakfast as soon as you went to work clearly knew otherwise.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 2:35:22 AM4/15/16

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:42:19 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>"T i m" <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:55:38 +0100, "ARW"
>>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Unfortunately (for me and many others) I think you are right mate.
>>>
>>> I don't think you should be able to buy meat from the shops unless you
>>> show your 'Attendance certificate'. ;-(
>>>
>>> I think the chances are I'd probably give up the little meat I eat now
>>> days entirely before getting my certificate ...
>>

>>Trust me. There are teens that do not know where potatoes come from (they
>>say "the supermarket" when asked)
>
> No, I believe you

It would be interesting to see what they
say if you say before the supermarket.

> and I think it's a sad state of affairs.

I don't think it matters a damn myself.

And it would only the most stupid that
don't realise that the meat in the supermarket
doesn't come from a live animal.

> I was reminded just how bad things are getting when a
> elderly family friend was talking about dumping all her
> husbands old tools because 'none of the children want them'. ;-(

Didn't happen with mine, I designed and built my own house
from scratch on a bare block of land, not something my dad
or his father ever did, although they did have lots of tools
that I eventually ended up with most of. One of his grandkids
is a full time builder, his kid is a bit young to be clear what
he will do yet.

> Or is it getting bad or is just things are changing away
> what most here probably accepted as 'perfectly normal'?

Or is it just another example of old farts deploring how the
kids today are completely fucking hopeless. We can see that
the ancient greeks used to sit around in their togas or
whatever they wore and rave on exactly the same way.

> Few want to be real (hands on / oily rag type) 'Engineers' these days,
> preferring to sit in front of a screen programming stuff ... 'Software
> Engineers'?

Yes, what gets engineered does change over time.

You don't see to many bothering with steam engines much anymore.

> So, few service their own vehicles any more

Because they don't need much service at all anymore.

> (even the bits they could do),

You can in fact so much more today when the system tells
you what has failed if you have enough of a clue to get an
ODB2 diagnostic device for a coupla bucks.

> few fix their own household appliances

Few ever did and it makes a lot more sense to get a chinese
person to make you another for peanuts now with most of them.

> (when in many cases they could, if only they tried)

Not all that many at all in fact with the portable appliances.

> and it seems few can even fit a plug top

Because they come with decent molded cables
that never need anyone to do that anymore.

> or as you say, know where most of their food

Doesn't matter if they do.

> (or anything for that matter) comes from. ;-(

> I think they should dump religious / media studies
> at school and feed them continuous episodes of
> 'How it' made' and 'Food unwrapped' instead.

Makes a lot more sense to do what we have done, have
that available for anyone who is interested to watch for free.

> Actual programs that relate to the world they live in,

Plenty of that with the food programs alone.

> not just following (and worse aspiring)
> to some bogus / faux 'celebrity.

> p.s. I'm pleased to state that our (25 yr old) daughter has no
> interest (what so ever) in any of that celebrity BS and of the little
> television she watches, Mastermind and University Challenge are right
> at the top (and she amazes us re just how much she knows about the
> 'older stuff'). ;-)

And I bet that isnt that uncommon.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 2:42:24 AM4/15/16

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>>I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.
>
> What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
> even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
> breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)
>>
>>I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and so
>>cannot have one.
>
> Is the right answer.

Nope, worked fine for me.

> Well, you could, as long as it was either old

Doesn't need to be, mine worked fine all its life.

> and slept most the time

All dogs do.

> or you had someone who could give it a good walk midday.

Don't need anything like that.

> We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or
> both) of us were generally close enough to be able to give
> them the best part of an hours walk every lunchtime.

Complete waste of time. I came home for lunch most days
and never bothered.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 2:47:13 AM4/15/16

"Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message news:op.yfxdk...@red.lan...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:39:25 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I was brought up with Labadors and Border terriers as pets.
>>
>> What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
>> even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
>> breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)
>>>
>>> I would love to have a dog but it would be left on it's own all day and
>>> so I
>>> cannot have one.
>>
>> Is the right answer. Well, you could, as long as it was either old and
>> slept most the time or you had someone who could give it a good walk
>> midday.
>>
>> We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or both) of us
>> were generally close enough to be able to give them the best part of
>> an hours walk every lunchtime.
>
> Doesn't a dog only need one good walk a day?

It doesn't even need that. I never did it as often as that.

> He could do that after work or before work.

Yeah, those were the days when I thought 9:30
meetings at work were a complete and utter
obscenity. I did it in the evening most of the time,
specially in summer with daylight saving etc.

Didn't bother in the winter and still don't.

Rod Speed

Apr 15, 2016, 3:06:19 AM4/15/16

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:54:08 +0100, "Mr Macaw" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:39:25 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:51:54 +0100, "ARW"
>>> <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> What I call 'proper dogs'. Anything from the working / hound family
>>> even including things like std poodles (along with Dalmatians aren't
>>> breeds you see very often these days) work for me. ;-)

>>> Is the right answer. Well, you could, as long as it was either old and
>>> slept most the time or you had someone who could give it a good walk
>>> midday.
>>>
>>> We were both at work when we had three dogs but one (or both) of us
>>> were generally close enough to be able to give them the best part of
>>> an hours walk every lunchtime.
>>
>>Doesn't a dog only need one good walk a day?
>
> One *good* walk, ideally, yes (depending on breed / age / health etc).

That's bullshit, they don't need a walk every day.

>> He could do that after work or before work.
>
> He could, however, it's the amount of time in between both human
> contact and a chance to have a toilet break (most dogs only go
> outside, typically in the owners back garden) more regularly than yer
> typical 8+ hours away at work.

Dogs do fine for much longer than that.

> And this desire for contact is usually bi-directional.
>
> Our family dogs, the whippet is known for their desire for human
> companionship and were known to sleep on the foot of the children's
> bed when they were more common, especially 'up Norf'.
>
> Whilst they don't like water as much as say a Retriever, std Poodle or
> Setter, they will happily get wet if it means being with their owner.
>
> However, to see a whippet at it's best you have to see one (or more)
> run and they are *the* fastest accelerating dog in the world.

Stupid dogs tho.

whisky-dave

Apr 15, 2016, 6:31:21 AM4/15/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 18:09:27 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:42:29 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
> >> issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
> >> when they do.
> >
> >I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with.
>
> No, true, other than by not choosing say a cat as a pet in the first
> place.

well they you end up with mice and rats isn;lt that how the plague started when peole got rid of the cats. Although hopefully iof we did get rid of cats we;d find better methods of controling mice/rats.

What we donlt need to spend money on saving is giant panada they do nothing
other than look cute I don't even think they taste nice ;-)

>Just as you wouldn't say choose a breed of dog that looks like
> a 'dangerous breed'

well there might be a reason for chosing such a dog as a guard dog.

>or one prone to some medical weakness or
> condition.

So close crufts , as those dogs would have no use at all.

Remember at least cats get rid of mice.

> >Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do what they want.
>
> Yes, so if I wanted something that wasn't going to be a benefit or
> asset to me then I too could choose a cat (or budgie or goldfish) for
> a pet. However, I prefer something that I can take out with me,

Ah well I prefer something I don;t need to take out with me. Not all pubs clibs cinimas, museumes, theartres, stadiums even holiday resort will take a dog.

I'm going to see a mates band at the O2 next moth I don't think they allow dogs in, I can leave my cat alone at home without any problems.

> something that get's me outdoors and some fresh air and exercise.

Almsot any hobby can do that.
Ypou want to run in the london marathion with a dog can you ?

> and
> at the same time actually want to be with me and have some fun (like
> retrieving a ball or racing etc).

Cats donlt find that sort of thing fun.

> I'm not saying that a more 'indoor'
> pet isn't good or even better than a dog for anyone else (and there
> are many instances where a dog is far from the best solution of
> course) and as a kid I've kept tropical fish, Guinea pigs and a rabbit
> but none of them compared with a dog as a 'companion'.

Well that's true but dogs are far more dependent on their owners, cats are happy to be left alone for most of the day dogs aren't like that.
With a lot of dogs you have to take them out, unlike cats.

> >> And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
> >> isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
> >> and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
> >> go bad.
> >
> >I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.

> I don't think we (in general and certainly not in urban environments)
> would be overrun with rats or mice and I think you would need far more
> cats than are realistic to actually control the vermin population
> effectively, even on a farm.

There's been plenty of cases of cats loking after farms from that POV.
They are cheaper and more efective than a lot of other methods including poisons.

> >> So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
> >> steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
> >> chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.
> >
> >I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.
>
> And good for you for doing so (whatever the reason) ... you are at
> least demonstrating some responsibility towards the cat. ;-)

And if I had an iphone I'd have a locator in that too. :-)

> >> The same
> >> *should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
> >> people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
> >> own a cat) to be unacceptable.
> >
> >I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable
>
> Again, agreed and I'm lucky in that I've never had to commute any
> distance or regularly by car and still only use the car when
> necessary.

I dont have a car to pollute oher peoples air, making me superior (morally anyway) ;-P
What kills more people cats or cars :D

> I think vehicle pollution is one of those things that is 'transparent
> to most of us

Transparent things can kill.

>(apart from the smog of old days in London and still in
> some big cities around the world). I think they should put some (non
> toxic) chemical that makes bright smoke (al-la Red Arrows) in car
> fuel for just one day and it might make people realise just how much
> 'stuff' is produced by them just driving to the shops (when they could
> probably do so on foot).

or taking the kids to school, not sure where you live but in London it's amazing how quiet the roads can be on school holidays.

So kids are more trouble than cats.

> Cheers, T i m

Andrew

Apr 15, 2016, 7:02:24 AM4/15/16
On 14/04/2016 18:55, ARW wrote:

> I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

In Denmark (or somewhere over there) schoolkids are taken to
meat processing plants where they see the animal being killed
and converted into meal-sized lumps.

I saw this on TV recently, might have been C4 'Food Unwrapped'.

Andrew

Apr 15, 2016, 7:11:41 AM4/15/16
On 14/04/2016 21:26, Mr Macaw wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:18:57 +0100, Vir Campestris
> <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/2016 22:55, Bob Eager wrote:
>>> About 1 in 3000 can be male (XXY). Often sterile, and I believe they
>>> often have physical and mental problems.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> How can you tell?
>
> Arrows don't work. Most people have had proportional fonts for the
> last few decades.

Works for me with thunderbird. Isn't UK.DIY a text-only group ?.

whisky-dave

Apr 15, 2016, 7:15:26 AM4/15/16
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 18:28:56 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:11:53 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> True, however, the discussion was about the fact that cats do (and
> >> dogs don't) usually foul in *other peoples gardens* ... nor do dogs
> >> typically climb all over the kitchen work surfaces etc etc.
> >
> >Cats donlt normally climb all over work surfaces either,
>
> Really? I'm pretty sure every house I've ever been in that has a cat
> (or more than one) sees them up on pretty well everything they can?
> Including sitting on peoples HiFi and laptops. ;-)

Well I don't class laptops or HiFi or TVs as work surfaces.
I really can;t see how a cat or dog can sit on todays TVs sit in front of it sure.

> > that but some let their dogs like their face, which is something I've never seen a cat do.
>
> True, that does seem to be more of a dog thing but again, generally
> doesn't affect anyone other than the person being licked.

Nothing puts me of a girl more than seeing her kiss and slobber with a dog.
When yuo cuddel a cat it;s quite difernt they don't insist on licking yuor face, but my cat does bite/nibble my finger.

There was a program cats Vs dogs a month or so ago with chris packham
some things they brought up were more intersting than others.

>(if they
> allow the dog to etc). Not the same as someone making me some food
> from a worktop walked over by their cat.

so you're saying dogs don't do this sort of thing.

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogtraining/a/counter_surfing.htm

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Counter-Surfing.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/training-your-puppy-not-to-jump-on-counters.html

of course dogs are easier to train only one of my cats has ever attempted to jump up on a kitchen work once or twice in 6 years.

here's mine the screen is showing the webcam image of the bottom of the door where she;d go out if she wanted to use the catflap.
But she;s note used it so there;s a fire extigguisher infronmt of it to ensure other cats dont; try to come in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/7908097458/in/album-72157629917976050/

> >> All animals poop, it's just where they do it and what happens next
> >> that most people are bothered about.
> >
> >Try which is why you see warnings in parks aimed at dogs not cats.
>
> No, because neither cats nor dogs can read and few cat owners take
> their cats out for a walk in the park. ;-)

yes cats dont need that much looking after.

> >Few dometics cats have killed humans
>
> Only those poor b*stards who die in car accidents whilst swerving to
> miss a 'free roaming' cat or all the people made ill because of the
> toxins etc.

quite a low number then of yuo have to swere to aviod a cat them youe probbly driving too fast in a built up area.

> >but avery month or so you'll hear of a dog attack,
>
> I'm not sure it's 'every month' (but then I don't go looking etc) but
> you may well be right (even if not bad enough to make the news etc).

Mostly it's to do with bad owners, there's not much call for cat fighting
but dog fighting even cock fighting, you see cats are almost imposible to train they have a will and mind of their own more than dogs appear to.

> > but I wopnlt blamne the dogs 99% of teh time
>
> No, quite, whilst any dog has the potential to attack anything (they
> all come from wolves after all) most never do, even when provoked and
> badly tortured. Unfortunately, dogs are easy to train and therefore
> you will find some who are trained to attack (like Police dogs).

Cats are pretty useless as weapons.

> > it's the owners and that is true of cat owners too who let their cat walk over kitchen work surfaces.

If a cat gets into such a habbit it is very difficult to get them off from doin gthat sort of thing, but I've never had a problem and niether has anyone I've know. One of my parents cats had a habit of sitting on top of a cupboard for that it had to jump on teh work surface but that wass just a means to an end it didn;t want to go on the work surface but just wanted to be up high as thats' where it was warmest in the winter when my mum did sunday lunch.

> Sort of ... it is a cats natural desire to get up on stuff, be it
> trees, on top of cars (much to our neighbours dismay because of the
> damage done to their cars by cats). Cat's 'climb', that's what they
> do, few dogs have ever been 'rescued from trees' by the Fire Brigade
> for example. ;-)

Well no, but if we are to keep our fire brigade intact this might be a good reason rather than reducing the numbers and then wondering why it all went wrong with a terrorist attck and they don;t have enough fire or ambulance staff to cope with a 911 type attack.
You have to pay to get them to get a cat out of a tree I was told £200 was the amount. I don;t see a problem with this.
I see a bigger problem with irresponsible dog owners.

> >> I don't own a cat (never have, never would [1]) and therefore don't
> >> see why I should suffer their mess in my garden, especially around my
> >> vegetable patch?
> >
> >I've seen vegatable patches protected from birds surely theres a safe way to protect them,
>
> Yes, you can take measures and you often have to against 'wild'
> animals. I don't see why anyone should have to from anyone else's
> 'pet'? ;-(

well some take lots of flights which cause polution and maybe global warming
I have to put up with other D+IY regarding noise and dust.
Some have to put up with aircraft noise so peole can have holidays abroad.

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 15, 2016, 7:17:35 AM4/15/16
yes, but some people still set fonts to be non-prop

kind word alone.

Al Capone

T i m

Apr 15, 2016, 7:21:45 AM4/15/16
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 03:31:19 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
<whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 14 April 2016 18:09:27 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

>> >I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with.
>>
>> No, true, other than by not choosing say a cat as a pet in the first
>> place.
>
>well they you end up with mice and rats

Really?

>isn;lt that how the plague started when peole got rid of the cats.

I don't know Dave, it was a bit before my time. ;-) Joking aside, I
don't think there is an 'natural' / animal based way of clearing up
any major influx of vermin but if there was, I suggest a 'ratter' dog
(Jack Russell, Border Terrier) be far more efficient as disposing of
quantities of rats than any cat.

>Although hopefully iof we did get rid of cats we;d find better methods of controling mice/rats.

Quite.

>What we donlt need to spend money on saving is giant panada they do nothing
>other than look cute I don't even think they taste nice ;-)

;-)

>>Just as you wouldn't say choose a breed of dog that looks like
>> a 'dangerous breed'
>
>well there might be a reason for chosing such a dog as a guard dog.

Well yes, but not if it's regularly going to be with the general
public.

>>or one prone to some medical weakness or
>> condition.
>
>So close crufts , as those dogs would have no use at all.

Crufts show / support all sorts of dogs that aren't prone to any
issues, like most of the working, sporting or utility dogs for
example.

>Remember at least cats get rid of mice.

I think I'd rather have the mice mate. ;-)

>> >Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do what they want.
>>
>> Yes, so if I wanted something that wasn't going to be a benefit or
>> asset to me then I too could choose a cat (or budgie or goldfish) for
>> a pet. However, I prefer something that I can take out with me,
>
>Ah well I prefer something I don;t need to take out with me.

You don't have to but with a dog it's more of a normal / accepted
choice. Like, how many people do you see walking their cats on the
street or at the park (compared with dogs especially).

> Not all pubs clibs cinimas, museumes, theartres, stadiums even holiday resort will take a dog.

You are right, but FWIW, I suspect they wouldn't accept cats either,
well, unless you can get 'Seeing cats' for the visually impaired etc.
;-)

>I'm going to see a mates band at the O2 next moth I don't think they allow dogs in, I can leave my cat alone at home without any problems.

Yes, like you could if it was a pet rat, rabbit or goldfish.

>> something that get's me outdoors and some fresh air and exercise.
>
>Almsot any hobby can do that.

But we are talking pets, not 'hobbies'. ;-)

>Ypou want to run in the london marathion with a dog can you ?

Not sure, interesting question though (if not a helper dog etc).

>> and
>> at the same time actually want to be with me and have some fun (like
>> retrieving a ball or racing etc).
>
>Cats donlt find that sort of thing fun.

I know ... but for most people a good all rounder 'companion' (rather
than just a possession) would. But you don't need me to remind you
that 'Mans best friend is a dog' and for good reason. ;-)

>> I'm not saying that a more 'indoor'
>> pet isn't good or even better than a dog for anyone else (and there
>> are many instances where a dog is far from the best solution of
>> course) and as a kid I've kept tropical fish, Guinea pigs and a rabbit
>> but none of them compared with a dog as a 'companion'.
>
>Well that's true but dogs are far more dependent on their owners,

I supposed that depends on what we are taking about here. Most
'proper' dogs could survive in the wild and many do.

>cats are happy to be left alone for most of the day

Yes, like a goldfish ...

> dogs aren't like that.

Yes, most *prefer* the company / contact with humans (or other dogs /
animals at least) but can and do live 'ok' when more isolated.

>With a lot of dogs you have to take them out, unlike cats.

Yes, and that's very much part of having a dog in the first place for
many, the *fact* that they do and want to take them out on nice long
walks in the country. OTOH, many dogs manage just with access to a
back garden and some rarely go outside at all (like these toy /
'handbag' dogs).

>> >I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.
>

>> I don't think we (in general and certainly not in urban environments)
>> would be overrun with rats or mice and I think you would need far more
>> cats than are realistic to actually control the vermin population
>> effectively, even on a farm.
>
>There's been plenty of cases of cats loking after farms from that POV.

Yes, I'm sure there have been, it's just that a ratter dog would be
more efficient at it than any cat.

>They are cheaper and more efective than a lot of other methods including poisons.

Probably, until the numbers become overwhelming. It stands to reason
something bigger and more powerful (say a terrier) could manage more
rats / day than a cat (check the videos on Youtube of the gory act in
action).

>> >I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.
>>
>> And good for you for doing so (whatever the reason) ... you are at
>> least demonstrating some responsibility towards the cat. ;-)
>
>And if I had an iphone I'd have a locator in that too. :-)

;-)

>> >I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable
>>
>> Again, agreed and I'm lucky in that I've never had to commute any
>> distance or regularly by car and still only use the car when
>> necessary.
>
>I dont have a car to pollute oher peoples air, making me superior (morally anyway) ;-P

Well done. However (and I don't want to rain on your parade) I'm
guessing you consume stuff that has been delivered by vehicles ... ?

> What kills more people cats or cars :D

Erm ... including those drivers who die whilst swerving to avoid cats
... It could be close. <weg>

>> I think vehicle pollution is one of those things that is 'transparent
>> to most of us
>
>Transparent things can kill.

More so than things we can see in many cases.

>>(apart from the smog of old days in London and still in
>> some big cities around the world). I think they should put some (non
>> toxic) chemical that makes bright smoke (al-la Red Arrows) in car
>> fuel for just one day and it might make people realise just how much
>> 'stuff' is produced by them just driving to the shops (when they could
>> probably do so on foot).
>
>or taking the kids to school, not sure where you live but in London it's amazing how quiet the roads can be on school holidays.

Nth London mate and yes, you are right. However ... many of those who
drive their kids to school may carry on and drive themselves to work.

>So kids are more trouble than cats.

Ermmm ... no, would still say the inconvenience of cleaning cat cr*p
off my shoes and out of my garden has been more trouble to me than
kids over the years (and I have had kids and never had a cat)!

Cheers, T i m
It is loading more messages.