OT: Moaning council

James Wilkinson

Sep 4, 2016, 1:12:40 PM9/4/16
Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-after-8763872

Rod Speed

Sep 4, 2016, 2:10:31 PM9/4/16
James Wilkinson <inv...@something.com> wrote

> Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?

Mine has just done. Automated the watering of the park next to my house and
the whole thing was done by just the one bloke and his dog, quite literally,
with
a couple of machines, a trencher for the pipes and a little mini thing to
move
and put the dirt back after. Not obvious whether he works for the council or
is a contractor and I didn't think to ask he when I was talking to him.

> http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-after-8763872

James Wilkinson

Sep 4, 2016, 2:51:06 PM9/4/16
Mine is still wasting money doing up roads which are perfectly serviceable. They ought to ask the council tax payers where their priorities lie.

--
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Rod Speed

Sep 4, 2016, 3:51:28 PM9/4/16
James Wilkinson <inv...@something.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> James Wilkinson <inv...@something.com> wrote

>>> Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?

>> Mine has just done. Automated the watering of the park next to my house
>> and the whole thing was done by just the one bloke and his dog, quite
>> literally, with a couple of machines, a trencher for the pipes and a
>> little mini thing to move and put the dirt back after. Not obvious
>> whether he works for the council or is a contractor and I didn't think to
>> ask him when I was talking to him.

>>> http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-after-8763872

> Mine is still wasting money doing up roads which are perfectly
> serviceable. They ought to ask the council tax payers where their
> priorities lie.

Ours has just done that and got a great swag of stupid stuff fools want to
see done.
We're having the council election next weekend and one of the clowns who is
running
for mayor also had a discussion on the local facebook community notice board
where
one stupid cow who had been campaigning for the cemetery to be fenced for
years
got stuck into him about that. There has been some vandalism there over the
years
but the fools can't even manage to work out that no fence will make any
difference
to that unless it has manned gates with security guards on the gates and
that that
is utterly unaffordable. The clown running for major even proposed in that
discussion
that they have a fence down just one side of the cemetery with single gate
that is
locked except when a burial is happening, but with the other two sides with
no fence.

You likely can imagine what my comments about that were like.

James Wilkinson

Sep 4, 2016, 8:04:18 PM9/4/16
We'd be better off with no council at all. Just have some basic services like bin collections. In fact, just privatise them like the electricity.

--
When you want a man to play with you, wear a full-length black nightgown with buttons all over it.
Sure it's uncomfortable, but it makes you look just like his remote control.

Rod Speed

Sep 5, 2016, 12:07:36 AM9/5/16
You wouldn't actually. When there is no operation providing
the most basic services like rubbish collection and local roads,
no one wants to live there anymore and the place ends up
imploding into a ghost town.

> Just have some basic services like bin collections.

Not possible without a council. In spades with the local roads.

> In fact, just privatise them like the electricity.

Not even possible with bin collections and local roads
there is no way to collect the revenue with local roads.

Brian Gaff

Sep 5, 2016, 2:17:11 AM9/5/16
Yes I'm not convinced that 'hot boxing' of breaking up roads is in fact
making ehe road last any longer. It really needs it all skimming off and
relaying, but more than that in many parts of the area the pavements are
very dangerous for pedestrians as well, but somehow the same enthusiasm for
fixing it does not seem to be there nor is the co-ordination of various
services so they don't dig it up one after the other like is in place for
roads now.
Brian
--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"James Wilkinson" <inv...@something.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Sep 5, 2016, 2:22:32 AM9/5/16
Actually, yes they are banned there but some have in fact been used to
inspect the cliffs for signs of subsidence and to see what birds are
actually doing.
However I suspect in this case they did not ask for the permission and sign
all the documents needed to get that permission. Modern Drones are tolerated
a lot more by birds than some of the older really noisy unreliable ones.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"James Wilkinson" <inv...@something.com> wrote in message

NY

Sep 5, 2016, 4:02:23 AM9/5/16
"Brian Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Mine is still wasting money doing up roads which are perfectly
>> serviceable. They ought to ask the council tax payers where their
>> priorities lie.

My council spends money resurfacing sections of road that seem OK, but omits
to do nearby sections which have a dangerously potholed surface. It's
frustrating when you see signs "Road will be closed for two weeks" and you
think "Ah good, they'll sort out those potholes", only to find that they've
done everything *except* the potholes :-(

Bob Eager

Sep 5, 2016, 5:34:26 AM9/5/16
Classic one round here. The road is a busy one leading to a housing
estate and on to a through route. They resurfaced it.

They didn't bother to resurface a little parking bay by the shops. Yes,
it is adopted; they even recently put up 30 minute parking restrictions
on it and sent someone round to check.

The light isn't good but you can see it's bad if you look round a bit:

https://goo.gl/maps/5Lrzsb1xGH22

Dan S. MacAbre

Sep 5, 2016, 5:53:45 AM9/5/16
James Wilkinson wrote:
> Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?
>
> http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-after-8763872

I've been thinking about retarmacing the top few metres of our drive
(it's mostly paving stones, but the end is tarmac), since it's been
looking a bit tired recently. I can home one day last month to find
that it had been done for me. I've still no idea why - it wasn't
particularly bad, and they didn't do anywhere else in our road. I
assume the council had something to do with it.

Sep 5, 2016, 9:57:03 AM9/5/16
On 05/09/2016 14:14, pamela wrote:
> Regularly breaking the rules by loutish behaviour has netted Top
> Gear's high rollers a small fortune. I'm not sure I sympathise with
> their difficulties especially when they're littl emore than publicity
> stunts.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2848045/Top-Gear-high-
> rollers-Clarkson-s-country-estate-Hammond-s-helicopter-James-s-
> private-plane.html
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/p97l8xx
>
> "What DO Top Gear's high rollers spend their £55million
> fortune on? From Clarkson's country estate to Hammond's
> helicopter and James May's private plane... the luxury
> lives of three BBC kings"

If you're saying their accumulated wealth is a problem, then I don't see
why. They put their energies into making a successful TV series and
reaped the rewards.

Open for anyone to do the same or similar...

Tim Lamb

Sep 5, 2016, 10:14:43 AM9/5/16
In message <6rydnZ4Knecw5FDK...@brightview.co.uk>, F
<news@nowhere.?.invalid> writes
And spending is re-cycling the money to others with an offtake to HMRC.

--
Tim Lamb

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 12:59:00 PM9/5/16
The HMRC is the biggest organised crime unit ever made.

--
Jazz is what you get when you push a blues quartet down a long flight of stairs.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 12:59:12 PM9/5/16
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 14:14:59 +0100, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:

> On 18:04 4 Sep 2016, James Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?
>>
>> http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-af
>> ter-8763872
>
> Regularly breaking the rules by loutish behaviour has netted Top
> Gear's high rollers a small fortune. I'm not sure I sympathise with
> their difficulties especially when they're littl emore than publicity
> stunts.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2848045/Top-Gear-high-
> rollers-Clarkson-s-country-estate-Hammond-s-helicopter-James-s-
> private-plane.html
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/p97l8xx
>
> "What DO Top Gear's high rollers spend their £55million
> fortune on? From Clarkson's country estate to Hammond's
> helicopter and James May's private plane... the luxury
> lives of three BBC kings"

Rules are for the obedience of fools.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 1:01:25 PM9/5/16
I have a tarmac drive end that they maintain, very odd. Stupid way the estate was built by Bett Homes I guess. Mind you, since they gave up the bush area and told me to maintain it (which I loved - I didn't even know it was mine! - it's now part of my front garden), they may stop doing the tarmac bit. Might have to get more monoblock done....

--
An expert is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 1:02:05 PM9/5/16
So a question of pedantic childish paperwork, typical.

--
The most ejaculatory orgasms ever recorded in 1 hour for a boy is 16.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 1:02:36 PM9/5/16
My council re-surfaces the whole thing, far too regularly.

--
An elderly British gentleman of 83 arrived in Paris by plane. At the French
customs desk he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on

John Rumm

Sep 5, 2016, 7:25:39 PM9/5/16
On 05/09/2016 19:40, pamela wrote:
> Did you read that wisdom on the back of packet of cornflakes? :-)

No, he tries to avoid breakfast foods with a higher intellect than himself.

--
Cheers,

John.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 8:22:02 PM9/5/16
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 19:40:16 +0100, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Did you read that wisdom on the back of packet of cornflakes? :-)

It's common sense. Rules are made by other people with differing opinions. Why should I do what others want me to instead of what I want to do?

--
What is the difference between a 69 and driving in the fog?
When driving in the fog, you can't see the asshole in front of you.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 8:22:20 PM9/5/16
Your wit is so terrible, I rate you at a jar of marmalade.

--
A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.

James Wilkinson

Sep 5, 2016, 8:23:54 PM9/5/16
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 19:39:00 +0100, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
> It's the charade I object to. Rich boys pretending to be poor yobs.
>
> Even the Daily Mail agrees with me! :-)

But most don't, which is why they get such good ratings. And the boring ones like Chris Evans failed.

--
What's soft and warm when you go to bed, but hard and stiff when you wake up?
Vomit.

Tim Watts

Sep 6, 2016, 7:47:12 AM9/6/16
On 06/09/16 01:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
> It's common sense. Rules are made by other people with differing
> opinions. Why should I do what others want me to instead of what I want
> to do?

For the overall collective good, you wombat.

Otherwise, you'd have people dropping in to piss against your front wall
"as that's what people do where they live".

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 6, 2016, 8:10:23 AM9/6/16
Or to put it another way, James Rod Speed Wilkinson, no problem if you
don't mind me beheading you for doing what you want to do.

Because it's what *I* want to do.

Basic game theory.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Vir Campestris

Sep 7, 2016, 4:53:56 PM9/7/16
On 06/09/2016 11:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Better use a 3rd party site/app like https://www.fixmystreet.com
>
> provides an independent audit, if needed (bearing in mind some road
> defects are potential deathtraps). Stops the council claiming "they never
> knew".

Not all councils will accept their reports.

Andy

James Wilkinson

Sep 7, 2016, 6:21:22 PM9/7/16
On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 13:10:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 06/09/16 12:47, Tim Watts wrote:
>> On 06/09/16 01:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
>>> It's common sense. Rules are made by other people with differing
>>> opinions. Why should I do what others want me to instead of what I want
>>> to do?
>>>

>> For the overall collective good, you wombat.
>>
>> Otherwise, you'd have people dropping in to piss against your front wall
>> "as that's what people do where they live".
>
> Or to put it another way, James Rod Speed Wilkinson, no problem if you
> don't mind me beheading you for doing what you want to do.
>
> Because it's what *I* want to do.
>
> Basic game theory.

99.999% of us don't like that sort of thing, hence you'd be killed.

--
Lemon entry my dear Watson.

James Wilkinson

Sep 7, 2016, 6:22:03 PM9/7/16
On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:47:07 +0100, Tim Watts <tw_u...@dionic.net> wrote:

> On 06/09/16 01:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
>> It's common sense. Rules are made by other people with differing
>> opinions. Why should I do what others want me to instead of what I want
>> to do?
>
> For the overall collective good, you wombat.

Fuck off, nobody gets to be in charge. Nobody can say they're right and everyone else is wrong.

> Otherwise, you'd have people dropping in to piss against your front wall
> "as that's what people do where they live".

No, most people aren't like that. Anyway, I'd kill them.

--
To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kill you to wash your hands in between either.

James Wilkinson

Sep 7, 2016, 6:23:40 PM9/7/16
On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 11:49:14 +0100, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I sometimes hear that sort of philosophy from my teenage nephew. I
> expect he'll grow out of it soon.

Why do you assume adults are right and teenagers are wrong? Just because adults are forced to follow laws set out by power hungry maniacs in government doesn't mean it's right.

--
You can make a signature quote seem authoritative by attributing it to a famous person. -- Sun Tzu

James Wilkinson

Sep 7, 2016, 6:24:35 PM9/7/16
On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 11:46:22 +0100, pamela <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I think Chris Evans comes over as big a yob as Jeremy Clarkson but
> there isn't that "lads about town" feel to his Top Gear.
>
> Both have made a fortune by not over estimating the tastes of the
> public.

Chris Evans was a fucking washout. The ratings plummeted. Because he never stops shouting and just isn't very interesting at all. He's a ginger cunt that should never have been employed by the BBC for anything.

--
When I told my mum I was going to buy a motorbike she went crazy:
"Don't you remember what happened to your brother? He was killed on one! Why would you want to buy one when you could just have his?"

Bob Eager

Sep 7, 2016, 6:24:50 PM9/7/16
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:39:17 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <I9idnSMzcJ78403K...@brightview.co.uk>, Vir
> Kent County Council has a site where you report potholes. I haven't
> looked at it for a few years, but back then you brought up a map,
> scrolled to the place where the hole was and clicked on the map. There
> was also a box to type in where it was. Seemed to be effective.

Yes, I've used it for that, and for signs and street lamps. You can also
see if it's already been reported.

Tim Watts

Sep 8, 2016, 2:49:47 AM9/8/16
On 07/09/16 23:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:47:07 +0100, Tim Watts <tw_u...@dionic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/16 01:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
>>> It's common sense. Rules are made by other people with differing
>>> opinions. Why should I do what others want me to instead of what I want
>>> to do?
>>
>> For the overall collective good, you wombat.
>
> Fuck off, nobody gets to be in charge. Nobody can say they're right and
> everyone else is wrong.

After you, wombat boy...

>> Otherwise, you'd have people dropping in to piss against your front wall
>> "as that's what people do where they live".
>
> No, most people aren't like that. Anyway, I'd kill them.

In your dreams...

Rod Speed

Sep 8, 2016, 5:52:18 AM9/8/16

"pamela" <inv...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yes, he argues that sort of nonsense with me too.
>
> http://www.circleofmoms.com/moms-of-teenagers/why-is-it-that-17-
> and-18-year-olds-think-we-as-parents-know-nothing-and-they-know-
> everything-447186

We evolved that way.