Auto Air Bleed Valve

John

Dec 10, 2003, 1:10:01 PM12/10/03
(I had no response to earlier note - Worcester Highflow!)

I was getting a lot of air gurgling around in my system despite bleeding the
rads every day.

Took a look at the boiler - it has an auto bleed valve. Poked a blunt pin
into the hole and must have dislodged some crust of something - air came out
for about 5 minutes - now the valve seems to be weeping water.

Might it recover - how do they work?

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Andy Hall

Dec 10, 2003, 1:35:52 PM12/10/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:10:01 -0000, "John"
<john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> wrote:

>(I had no response to earlier note - Worcester Highflow!)
>
>I was getting a lot of air gurgling around in my system despite bleeding the
>rads every day.
>
>Took a look at the boiler - it has an auto bleed valve. Poked a blunt pin
>into the hole and must have dislodged some crust of something - air came out
>for about 5 minutes - now the valve seems to be weeping water.
>
>Might it recover - how do they work?

It may seal up with crud again but I wouldn't count on it. Often
valves like this or pressure relief valves build up a deposit or are
subject to some corrosion.

Most AAVs have a chamber with a float - rather like a tiny toilet
cistern without the flush. When air finds its way into the chamber,
the water is displaced and the float drops, opening a vent. When the
water comes in the float covers the vent hole.

Some of them can be taken apart for cleaning, it depends on the type.
Either way it will be a drain down job and either clean or replace.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

Dec 10, 2003, 1:57:53 PM12/10/03

"Andy Hall" <an...@hall.nospam> wrote in message

Some can be taken off the system without a drain down.

---

Andy Hall

Dec 10, 2003, 2:23:13 PM12/10/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:57:53 -0000, "IMM" <abus...@easy.com> wrote:

>"Andy Hall" <an...@hall.nospam> wrote in message

>> Some of them can be taken apart for cleaning, it depends on the type.
>> Either way it will be a drain down job and either clean or replace.
>
>Some can be taken off the system without a drain down.

Yes, you're right, I realised that after I had posted - I have some of
them so I should know.....

The Honeywell ones, for example. have a second valve in the base which
closes as the body is unscrewed.

Whether that type would be fitted inside a boiler, I'm not sure,
though....

>---

IMM

Dec 10, 2003, 2:43:48 PM12/10/03

"Andy Hall" <an...@hall.nospam> wrote in message

Some are.

John

Dec 10, 2003, 3:08:25 PM12/10/03
Thanks for your help - is it likely that I have punctured the float?

I will be looking for a replacement tomorrow. In the meantime the
toothpaste tube cap is keeping things dry.

--

Regards

John

"John" <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> wrote in message

Andy Hall

Dec 10, 2003, 3:13:26 PM12/10/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:08:25 -0000, "John"
<john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> wrote:

>Thanks for your help - is it likely that I have punctured the float?

It could be, or simply the vent. Generally there is a little rubber
cap which covers the hole on the inside. It could simply be that
you've scratched that.

>I will be looking for a replacement tomorrow. In the meantime the
>toothpaste tube cap is keeping things dry.

.andy

Dave Liquorice

Dec 10, 2003, 4:35:11 PM12/10/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:23:13 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

> Whether that type would be fitted inside a boiler, I'm not sure,
> though....

I wouldn't have thought so, gets rather hot inside a boiler casing.
The air valve on our (38KW Oil) boiler is of the fibre washer type.
Can I find one on the web? Nope, they are similar to:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=91964&id=19155

Except that the just below the thumb screw is a ring of holes, through
which you can see a fibre washer. When the washer dries out it shrinks
letting out the air, it gets wet expands and seals simple and
effective.

--
Cheers new...@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John

Dec 11, 2003, 6:07:56 AM12/11/03
I took the old valve apart - it is like a small ball valve - the float
(through linkages) presses a rubber nipple onto a small seating. As with a
ball valve, the rubber had pitted a bit (probably helped by my probing with
a pin!)

--

Regards

John