polish attachment for angle grinder

Fred

May 31, 2008, 4:51:17 AM5/31/08
Hello,

Has anyone used a polishing attachment, like screwfix #13007 and are
they any good? I thought I'd ask before I tried one (hoping to polish
out those scratches- see my chrome pipe thread).

Is an angle grinder the best thing to use for polishing? It seemed a
strange tool to choose for polishing; I associate them with more
destructive pursuits!

TIA

Cicero

May 31, 2008, 6:11:02 AM5/31/08

==================================
I haven't tried the mop in your reference but I think you would get better
results with a cloth buffing mop (with buffing soap) something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/3kfx6o

Most decent toolshops sell these and you can use them in a standard drill
so much less fierce than an angle grinder. You might even find one in one
of the jumbo kits sold for drills.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Pete C

May 31, 2008, 6:31:56 AM5/31/08

No experience of but I'd have thought it could be too fast.

There are a few chrome polishing kits on Ebay eg item #290232717735

cheers,
Pete.

George

May 31, 2008, 6:38:25 AM5/31/08

"Fred" <fr...@neitherhere.northere> wrote in message

Polishing out defects on small areas is more associated with a dremmel or
clone of a dremmel drill.
Although chrome is a thin skirt applied on a steel pipe and my instinct
tells me polishing will do more harm than good?

Stephen Howard

May 31, 2008, 7:54:21 AM5/31/08
On Sat, 31 May 2008 03:31:56 -0700 (PDT), Pete C <pete...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Speed isn't an issue - you need plenty of it to keep the mop stiff and
stable - but using a 6 inch mop in a hand tool is going to be no fun
at all. Three inches is going to be a lot easier to control - but
you'd probably need a mains drill for sufficient speed/torque.

A hard polish would be the best bet - something inbetween the standard
brown ( lustre ) soap and red Rouge. These are typically white soaps (
such as Hyfin ).
If you can shield the job ( and yourself ), you can use a cream polish
like Autosol.

I don't see why an angle grinder buffing wheel won't work ( buffing is
just another form of grinding anyway ) - but I'd be careful to ensure
the tool is absolutely clean before fitting the buff.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Andy Dingley

May 31, 2008, 7:33:13 AM5/31/08
On Sat, 31 May 2008 08:51:17 GMT, Fred <fr...@neitherhere.northere>
wrote:

>Has anyone used a polishing attachment, like screwfix #13007 and are
>they any good?

Yes, these synthetic pads are pretty good. Better than lambswool for
polishing metals, a bit fierce on paint though - if you ever "rub an
edge" they burn in no time.

>Is an angle grinder the best thing to use for polishing?

No, it's about 4 times too fast! The polishers are the same basic
mechanism, but with an extra gearbox to slow it down. About the cheapest
(and certainly the ugliest) is Axminster's "White" range one, where the
extra gearbox is very obvious.

For small stuff, use an electric drill. You might find an adapter to
fit that pad, or else a drill-mounted pad.

For small stuff on chrome, try a Dremel and a felt bob.

Peter Parry

May 31, 2008, 8:29:10 AM5/31/08
wrote:

>Has anyone used a polishing attachment, like screwfix #13007 and are
>they any good?

Used on a polisher - yes. Used on an angle grinder they will be a new
and interesting way of losing a few faculties like sight. It _isn't_
an angle grinder attachment and will self destruct if used on one.
They have a safe working speed about a quarter or less of an angle
grinder and are meant for use with item no 29997 which goes at
600-2800 RPM.

>Is an angle grinder the best thing to use for polishing?

Only if you like a really exciting life. Assuming you could attach a
polishing bonnet to an angle grinder a 4.5" grinder has a no load
speed of 10,000RPM and speed at the circumference of the disc of about
130MPH.

If you tried polishing a pipe there is a fair chance the pipe and
polishing bonnet will grab. Either the pipe will have a short but
happy life as a whirling dervish or the angle grinder will develop a
life of its own and shred a few things.

> It seemed a
>strange tool to choose for polishing; I associate them with more
>destructive pursuits!

Correct.

Grimly Curmudgeon

May 31, 2008, 9:00:43 AM5/31/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember Fred <fr...@neitherhere.northere>
saying something like:

>Is an angle grinder the best thing to use for polishing? It seemed a
>strange tool to choose for polishing; I associate them with more
>destructive pursuits!

Far too fast for polishing - you'll get bits flying off the mop and
burning of the paint, if that's what you want to polish. In fact, I'd
say that an AG used for polishing could be dangerously inappropriate.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Andy Dingley

May 31, 2008, 10:00:03 AM5/31/08
On Sat, 31 May 2008 14:00:43 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>In fact, I'd
>say that an AG used for polishing could be dangerously inappropriate.

I use one for aluminium, but that's with a 3M rubbery pad with abrasive
fingers moulded into it - designed for angle grinder speeds..

Mark

May 31, 2008, 2:36:35 PM5/31/08

Fred <fr...@neitherhere.northere> wrote in message

Angle grinder is WHHy to fast for a Polishing/compounding Sponge
you need 600/1500 rpm max
You need one of these
http://www.toolsbypost.com/product_pp.php?id=2793&category=131

to use a sponge safely