Can't install Xcode :(

chris

Mar 26, 2015, 1:38:29 PM3/26/15
App Store is refusing to install Xcode. It either states it is
'Waiting...' or 'An error has occurred'. That's it.

Where can I find out further information regarding what the error might
be? I can't see anything in Console.

Or alternatively is there a way to do a forced install?

I managed to install another application today (Microsoft Remote
Desktop) and despite it also saying 'An error occurred' it works fine.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

This is Yosemite 10.10.2 BTW.

chris

Mar 27, 2015, 8:20:54 AM3/27/15
Any one?

I've tried removing caches and temporary files as per here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4483444

But no joy.

App Store manages to download the pkg fine, but it's when it comes to
install it borks. What's really frustrating is the lack of *any*
information. Makes it impossible to even try to diagnose.

I really need Xcode and I don't want to wipe this machine and start
again as that's what I'm facing. Does no-one have a pointer as to where
to even start to diagnose the issue?

Sak Wathanasin

Mar 27, 2015, 10:39:00 AM3/27/15
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 12:20:54 PM UTC, chris wrote:
> On 26/03/2015 17:38, chris wrote:
> > App Store is refusing to install Xcode. It either states it is
> > 'Waiting...' or 'An error has occurred'. That's it.

I didn't have any problems downloading Xcode 6.2, but that was before I "upgraded" to 10.10.2. If you can find the PKG that it's downloaded, you could try running it manually. My guess is that it hasn't downloaded it completely, so you'll have to persuade it to download it again somehow.

Installer logs are in

/var/logs/install.log

Try doing a "tail -f" of it as you are installing and it may give you a clue as to what's going on.

Seems to be a "feature" of 10.10.2 - in my case it's iMovie. Says "An error has occured", doesn't tell you what, doesn't let you retry. Eventually I removed the temp files in /var/folders, rebooted, reset all warnings in the app store (via the AppStore app), did a "Check for unfinished downloads". Told me there weren't any but then it decided to download iMovie all over again (1.97 GB) and this time it worked.

The AppStore app is utter crap: makes me pine for the days when you could just go to the "software downloads" page and download what you needed (and then copy it to any other Mac that you had).

chris

Mar 27, 2015, 10:58:24 AM3/27/15
On 27/03/2015 14:38, Sak Wathanasin wrote:
> On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 12:20:54 PM UTC, chris wrote:
>> On 26/03/2015 17:38, chris wrote:
>>> App Store is refusing to install Xcode. It either states it is
>>> 'Waiting...' or 'An error has occurred'. That's it.
>
> I didn't have any problems downloading Xcode 6.2, but that was before
> I "upgraded" to 10.10.2. If you can find the PKG that it's
> downloaded, you could try running it manually. My guess is that it
> hasn't downloaded it completely, so you'll have to persuade it to
> download it again somehow.
>
> Installer logs are in
>
> /var/logs/install.log
>
> Try doing a "tail -f" of it as you are installing and it may give you
> a clue as to what's going on.

Ah ha! A poke around in there didn't reveal any problems, but seemed to
claim that Xcode had, in fact, been installed. Lo and behold opening
Xcode does work fine! Grrr

Thanks for pointing in me the right direction.

> Seems to be a "feature" of 10.10.2 - in my case it's iMovie. Says "An
> error has occured", doesn't tell you what, doesn't let you retry.
> Eventually I removed the temp files in /var/folders, rebooted, reset
> all warnings in the app store (via the AppStore app), did a "Check
> for unfinished downloads". Told me there weren't any but then it
> decided to download iMovie all over again (1.97 GB) and this time it
> worked.

Where's the 'reset all warnings' option? I can't find it. There are next
no options.

> The AppStore app is utter crap: makes me pine for the days when you
> could just go to the "software downloads" page and download what you
> needed (and then copy it to any other Mac that you had).

Can't disgree with you there.

Ian McCall

Mar 27, 2015, 11:08:02 AM3/27/15
apt-get install ....

The gold standard of software repositories. All they had to do was put
something like that up with a prettier front end than Synaptic, and
you're done.

Cheers,
Ian

--
Check out Proto the album: <http://studioicm.com/proto/>

chris

Mar 27, 2015, 1:28:37 PM3/27/15
On 27/03/2015 15:08, Ian McCall wrote:
> On 2015-03-27 14:58:23 +0000, chris <ithi...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On 27/03/2015 14:38, Sak Wathanasin wrote:
>>> The AppStore app is utter crap: makes me pine for the days when you
>>> could just go to the "software downloads" page and download what you
>>> needed (and then copy it to any other Mac that you had).
>>
>> Can't disgree with you there.
>

> apt-get install ....
>
> The gold standard of software repositories. All they had to do was put
> something like that up with a prettier front end than Synaptic, and
> you're done.

Yup. If Ubuntu can do it - blatant copy of AppStore it is too - then
you'd think Apple could.