Bitcoin/crypto anyone? What apps/software?

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 7:00:09 AM1/3/18
Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)? If so, what
apps/software do you use?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jan 3, 2018, 7:09:36 AM1/3/18
On 03 Jan 18 12:00 UTC, Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)?

Gawd no. If you've got access to electricity that someone else pays the
bills for and a server farm, have at it. If not, just don't bother.
Particularly in the current bubble.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I went to a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry,
and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt." -- Eric Pivnik

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 7:20:19 AM1/3/18
On 2018-01-03 12:09:34 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> said:

> On 03 Jan 18 12:00 UTC, Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)?
>
> Gawd no. If you've got access to electricity that someone else pays the
> bills for and a server farm, have at it. If not, just don't bother.
> Particularly in the current bubble.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Ha! No, not mining! :) Portfolio trackers, wallets, & suchlike.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Ray

Jan 3, 2018, 7:41:56 AM1/3/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010312001427968-captainblack@gmailcom>):

> Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)? If so, what
> apps/software do you use?

I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy such
small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Can’t even
remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
wallet.
And for the life of me I can’t remember any details and have no records of
it anywhere on the computers.
Damn shame as even now it’s probably worth a significant sum of real money.

--
A hypothetical paradox:
What would happen in a battle between an Enterprise security

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 8:01:40 AM1/3/18
On 2018-01-03 12:41:54 +0000, Ray <bugg...@outlook.corn> said:

> On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
> (in article<2018010312001427968-captainblack@gmailcom>):
>
>> Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)? If so, what
>> apps/software do you use?
>
> I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy such
> small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Can’t even
> remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
> wallet.
> And for the life of me I can’t remember any details and have no records of
> it anywhere on the computers.
> Damn shame as even now it’s probably worth a significant sum of real money.

Depending when you bought it, that could be rather a lot now! Did you
buy on an exchange? maybe you have the sign-up email, or website in
your history/cache?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Martin S Taylor

Jan 3, 2018, 8:04:04 AM1/3/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010312202571006-captainblack@gmailcom>):
Electrum seems as good as any.

MST

Martin S Taylor

Jan 3, 2018, 8:08:57 AM1/3/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010313014573671-captainblack@gmailcom>):

> > I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy such
> > small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Can’t even
> > remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
> > wallet.
> > And for the life of me I can’t remember any details and have no records of
> > it anywhere on the computers.
> > Damn shame as even now it’s probably worth a significant sum of real
> > money.
>
> Depending when you bought it, that could be rather a lot now! Did you
> buy on an exchange? maybe you have the sign-up email, or website in
> your history/cache?

I bought £20 worth last January; my brother, inspired by this, bought 8
bitcoins. And the rest is his story.

MST

Graham J

Jan 3, 2018, 8:42:34 AM1/3/18
My nephew paid about £200 for some about 5 years ago. Recently sold for
about £6,000 - his view was that the bubble is about to burst.

--
Graham J

nospam

Jan 3, 2018, 8:53:47 AM1/3/18
In article <p2imk8$q84$1...@dont-email.me>, Graham J <gra...@invalid.com>
wrote:

> >> I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy
> >> such
> >> small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Canąt even
> >> remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
> >> wallet.
> >> And for the life of me I canąt remember any details and have no
> >> records of
> >> it anywhere on the computers.
> >> Damn shame as even now itąs probably worth a significant sum of real
> >> money.
> >
> > Depending when you bought it, that could be rather a lot now! Did you
> > buy on an exchange? maybe you have the sign-up email, or website in your
> > history/cache?
>
> My nephew paid about Ł200 for some about 5 years ago. Recently sold for
> about Ł6,000 - his view was that the bubble is about to burst.

<http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-pizza-10000-100-million-2017-11>
On May 22, 2010, a developer bought two pizzas using 10,000 units of
a then-little-known digital currency called bitcoin.

Today, the price of a single bitcoin has hit $10,000 ‹ making 10,000
of them worth a staggering $100 million (Ł75 million).
Ten thousand coins were then worth about $40 (Ł30). A British user
agreed to buy the pizza for him, and even at the time the buyer got a
good deal out of it: The person paid only $25 (Ł19) for the two
pizzas.

and the value of bitcoin gone up since then...

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 10:30:13 AM1/3/18
On 2018-01-03 13:04:03 +0000, Martin S Taylor
Ah - no Bitcoin here!
--
Cheers ... Mark

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 10:31:41 AM1/3/18
On 2018-01-03 13:05:20 +0000, Martin S Taylor
Nice! A little over 10x increase I think.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 10:32:46 AM1/3/18
Lots of talk (speculation!) about that, from doubling by the end of
2018 to breaking $100,000...
--
Cheers ... Mark

Martin S Taylor

Jan 3, 2018, 11:48:15 AM1/3/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010315301810679-captainblack@gmailcom>):

> > Electrum seems as good as any.
> >
> > MST
>
> Ah - no Bitcoin here!

Don't understand.

MST

Mark

Jan 3, 2018, 12:20:44 PM1/3/18
On 2018-01-03 16:48:13 +0000, Martin S Taylor
I think it's only for Bitcoin.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Ray

Jan 5, 2018, 4:31:56 AM1/5/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010313014573671-captainblack@gmailcom>):
No it was many moons and several computers ago when Bitcoin was a word most
people had never heard spoken.

--
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There’s no
point in being a damn fool about it. W. C. FIELDS (1880-1946)

Paul Sture

Jan 5, 2018, 2:30:43 PM1/5/18
On 2018-01-03, Ray <bugg...@outlook.corn> wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
> (in article<2018010312001427968-captainblack@gmailcom>):
>
>> Anyone dabbling in cryptos (Bitcoins/Altcoins)? If so, what
>> apps/software do you use?
>
> I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy such
> small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Can’t even
> remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
> wallet.
>
> And for the life of me I can’t remember any details and have no records of
> it anywhere on the computers.
> Damn shame as even now it’s probably worth a significant sum of real money.

Here we go (courtesy of comp.risks):

Bitcoin Investors Resort to Hypnotherapy to Recover Passwords
(Fortune)

Help is in sight for that batch of early-Bitcoin-adopters who are
sitting on untapped bounties because they've forgotten the passwords
needed to get into their wallets.

A hypnotist in South Carolina has recently begun offering to help
people recall forgotten passwords or find misplaced storage devices.
Jason Miller charges one bitcoin plus 5% of the amount recovered --
though he claims that rate is flexible.

"I've developed a collection of techniques that allow people to
access older memories or see things they've put away in a stashed
spot," he told *The Wall Street Journal*.

A number of investors who bet on Bitcoin years ago are now in a
painful limbo. In the way that bank accounts are protected by
passwords, Bitcoin wallets that use keys to transact are also
typically guarded by complex security codes. However, unlike a bank,
Bitcoin has no central hotline to call for a reset.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/20/bitcoin-investors-hypnotherapy/

--
Macs. They used to smile at you.

Martin S Taylor

Jan 17, 2018, 10:33:34 AM1/17/18
On 5 Jan 2018, Paul Sture wrote
(in article <nb05ie-...@news2.chingola.ch>):

> A hypnotist in South Carolina has recently begun offering to help
> people recall forgotten passwords or find misplaced storage devices.
> Jason Miller charges one bitcoin plus 5% of the amount recovered --
> though he claims that rate is flexible.
>
> "I've developed a collection of techniques that allow people to
> access older memories or see things they've put away in a stashed
> spot," he told *The Wall Street Journal*.

In theory it could just about work, but to claim that he developed it is
really stretching a point.

MST

Martin S Taylor

Mar 12, 2018, 3:16:32 PM3/12/18
On 3 Jan 2018, Mark wrote
(in article<2018010313014573671-captainblack@gmailcom>):

> > I bought about 10 quids worth of Bitcoins way back when you could buy such
> > small amounts, in order to purchase something on the web. Can’t even
> > remember what it was now, but there was about 5 quids worth left in the
> > wallet.
> > And for the life of me I can’t remember any details and have no records of
> > it anywhere on the computers.
> > Damn shame as even now it’s probably worth a significant sum of real
> > money.
>
> Depending when you bought it, that could be rather a lot now! Did you
> buy on an exchange? maybe you have the sign-up email, or website in
> your history/cache?

Mark

Mar 12, 2018, 3:50:54 PM3/12/18
On 2018-03-12 19:16:31 +0000, Martin S Taylor
This is weird - didn't you reply with this same post several weeks ago??
--
Cheers ... Mark