"Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser."

D.M. Procida

Oct 6, 2016, 6:11:56 PM10/6/16
I've just received this:

----------
Dear Daniele Procida,

Your Apple ID [...] was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser.

Date and Time:6 October 2016, 2:24 PM PDT
Browser:IE
Operating System:Windows

If the information above looks familiar, you can disregard this email.

If you have not signed in to iCloud recently and believe someone may
have accessed your account, go to Apple ID (https://appleid.apple.com)
and change your password as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Apple Support
----------

A bit odd.

I checked the email headers and it really has come from Apple. I know
several other people who have received the same message. Either everyone
has people illictly using their Apple accounts, or Apple's ID system
likes to throw out these messages every now and then.

Daniele

Chris

Oct 7, 2016, 3:20:28 AM10/7/16
If it looks kosher I'd follow the advice asap. There's no harm in changing
your password.

I do get ones similar to this, but with no identifying information.

David Kennedy

Oct 7, 2016, 3:34:47 AM10/7/16
I get them too but they do tend to be when I've signed back in after an update
or whatever

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Graeme Wall

Oct 7, 2016, 4:47:06 AM10/7/16
I get one every time I update the OS on my various machines.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Richard Tobin

Oct 7, 2016, 6:35:02 AM10/7/16
In article <1muqrqw.1hun8zc10o51fiN%snip...@gmail.com>,
Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Date and Time:6 October 2016, 2:24 PM PDT
>> > Browser:IE
>> > Operating System:Windows

>Do these details look reasonable?

You think Daniele might be using Windows?

-- Richard

D.M. Procida

Oct 7, 2016, 1:26:41 PM10/7/16
Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I've just received this:
> > >
> > > ----------
> > > Dear Daniele Procida,
> > >
> > > Your Apple ID [...] was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser.
> > >
> > > Date and Time:6 October 2016, 2:24 PM PDT
> > > Browser:IE
> > > Operating System:Windows
>

> Do these details look reasonable?

Absolutely not! Windows? IE? Hence my question.

Since they have all this information, why don't they also provide an IP
address or an approximate physical location too?

> I get them all the time, whenever I sign in, they're routine.
> I set up two factor verification so I get a text to my phone
> with an auth. code when signing in using a different browser.
> It's well worth while doing this, Google and others can do
> something similar too.

Yes, I've set up 2FA now. Much better than those idiotic questions it
used to ask -

* "What was you first car?"
* "What's your favourite sports team?"
* "Who accompanied you to your high-school prom?"
* "What fraternity were you a member of in college?"

Daniele

D.M. Procida

Oct 7, 2016, 1:26:42 PM10/7/16
Graeme Wall <ra...@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Date and Time:6 October 2016, 2:24 PM PDT
> > Browser:IE
> > Operating System:Windows

> I get one every time I update the OS on my various machines.

Telling you that you signed into iCloud using IE?

Daniele

Chris Ridd

Oct 7, 2016, 1:43:40 PM10/7/16
I've never had one of these emails from Apple that was wrong. If you
think the mail headers are sound, then I think someone has indeed signed
in to your account using IE.

--
Chris

Graeme Wall

Oct 7, 2016, 2:17:38 PM10/7/16
On 07/10/2016 18:26, D.M. Procida wrote:
Probably not, now you mention it.

Paul Sture

Oct 8, 2016, 2:01:21 AM10/8/16
On 2016-10-07, Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Possibly he has it in a VM.
> I have both Win10 and Linux Mint in VMs here. [shrug]

Yes but only if he signed into Apple using iTunes (or a browser?) within
a VM running Windows.

--
"I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and
the rest of the day taking it out." -- Oscar Wilde