fsmail.net

Dave

Jan 29, 2010, 12:27:59 PM1/29/10
Can anyone tell me what, or where it is. I've done a google, but it
looks like it might be Orange, but in what country, I don't know.

Dave

Trev

Jan 29, 2010, 12:45:17 PM1/29/10

"Dave" <dave...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me what, or where it is. I've done a google, but it looks
> like it might be Orange, but in what country, I don't know.
>
> Dave

Would that not have Been freeserve Taken over by orange

Ed Cryer

Jan 29, 2010, 12:49:56 PM1/29/10

"Trev" <tre...@hotmail.com invalid> wrote in message
Taken over by Wanadoo in between. We still with it like to call it
OrangoWooFree.

Ed

Dave

Jan 30, 2010, 7:36:50 PM1/30/10

Could be.

Dave

Philip Herlihy

Jan 31, 2010, 9:09:22 AM1/31/10

"Dave" <dave...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Try this: http://fsmail.net

One of the old Freeserve stable of domains, used only for email, I believe.
Personally, after the experiences of customers, I wouldn't touch Orange with
the proverbial barge-pole.

Phil, London

Dave

Jan 31, 2010, 7:01:35 PM1/31/10
Philip Herlihy wrote:

> Personally, after the experiences of customers, I wouldn't
> touch Orange with the proverbial barge-pole

What makes you say that? I signed up for an Orange dongle and it has
given great service on a lap top.

Dave

Philip Herlihy

Feb 1, 2010, 5:42:18 PM2/1/10

"Dave" <dave...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

All providers are broadly equivalent until something goes wrong, as it
eventually will. The best of them will fix things fairly quickly and
efficiently; the worst will blunder and lie. Orange cut off one of my
customers when they "upgraded" his line to a speed it couldn't support.
Despite my explaining this to their "technical" support, and one of us
ringing them at the very least once a week, they hadn't fixed it eight
months (!) later. When my customer finally agreed to my suggestion to move
elsewhere, they threatened to sue him for breach of contract. I've always
had efficient and speedy fixes from BT and Demon on my own line(s) at
various times, but you pay a little more for the resources to be there to
put things right.

Phil

Mr Guest

Feb 1, 2010, 6:48:01 PM2/1/10
Philip Herlihy wrote (apparently) in uk.comp.misc on Mon 01 Feb
2010 22:42:18:

Also, sometimes, it helps when people who know what they are doing
are involved. I have internet via VirginMedia which was probably
ntl: at the time.

I rang and complained the download speeds were all over the place
and an engineer visit was organised for a Saturday morning (due to
my work commitments). The engineer rang me at 7:55am and said,
"Until the new bit of kit is installed some time in the next
fortnight, there is absolutely no point in me turning up - what do
you want me to do?"

Well, he told me what the kit was supposed to do and we agreed that
he wouldn't turn up and I would get a lie-in. A week later
everything was sorted and I hadn't had him, his mate, and several
other engineers coming to do nothing of any relevance without
explanation. And I did get a good lie-in...

Helps to have several dial-up accounts still active as well. Means
the, "Ah, the internet's running slowly today" responses can be
shown up to be cobblers.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere

Philip Herlihy

Feb 2, 2010, 8:02:50 AM2/2/10

"Mr Guest" <t...@guest-spamtrap.co.uk> wrote in message

You get a few lucky encounters like that. Unfortunately, we consumers have
driven down the margins in these business to the level where knowledgeable,
self-reliant engineers (worth of the name) with a bit of common-sense just
aren't in the budget. Lucky accidents can happen, though - on what I'd
decided would be my very last try on the worst helpdesk I've ever discovered
(QuickBooks) I got through to someone whose common sense and understanding
of my question shone through quickly. She turned out to have a PhD in
Computer Science (trumps my postgraduate Diploma!). She couldn't find the
answer out either, though, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Ho hum...

Phil

Mortimer

Feb 2, 2010, 11:50:42 AM2/2/10
"Philip Herlihy" <bounc...@you.com> wrote in message

A customer of mine had an existing dial-up account with Orange or one of the
companies that they had taken over, so when he wanted to upgrade to
broadband he chose to continue with them as his ISP.

They sent him a router and activated his line, but the router did not detect
a broadband carrier, or else did so very very occasionally with horrendous
attenuation. Having eliminated other phones on the network (his master
socket was the only one on the line), duff microfilter, DSL cable or router
(I tried known-good equipment in place of his own) I started to do battle
with Orange.

To say that the staff that I talked to were inept is to praise them. They
were obstructive and unhelpful, clueless and yet patronising. They performed
line checks which found no problem, so they assured me that the router
*must* be working, and accused me of lying when I said that it wasn't. One
woman went so far as to say "BT say the line is OK, so there isn't a fault -
why are you calling us?".

Eventually I managed to speak to a supervisor who agreed to get BT to visit
to check the situation at the master socket rather than just at the
exchange. A definite booking was made, but the customer reported that no
engineer arrived. When I phoned them again, Orange could find no trace of
the earlier request for a BT visit. They arranged another visit, but same
thing happened: no engineer and no trace in their database of the request.

By this stage the customer was livid: he had been paying for about six
months for a service that he had never received. (For four of those months,
I did not hear from him so I thought the problem had been fixed).

So I suggested he try another ISP. No doubt that ISP would encounter the
same problem if there was a line fault, but maybe they'd be more proactive
with getting it sorted. Orange tried the "breach of contract" get-out until
my client, a lawyer, pointed out that they had not honoured they side of the
contract because they hadn't provided the service that he was paying for.

Once he'd got his MAC from Orange, I signed him up with PlusNet. Sure
enough, there was no DSL carrier once they had activated the line, but when
I told them this, they logged the call so I could check every stage of the
investigation, brought BT in to diagnose a line fault in an overhead cable,
and had broadband up and running within a week.

That's what separates the sheep from the goats: the willingness to keep
pushing people to solve the problem rather than saying "Problem? I see no
problem.".