The Aldi Medion 8083 pc - worth a pop at £749?

Alan

Mar 28, 2004, 3:05:03 PM3/28/04
Aldi Medion 8083 PC. So this is what everyone is talking about at work...not
having treated myself to anything more than a hard drive and memory in about
the last 5 years, my 650Mhz Duron is getting a bit long in the tooth. This
is a seriously tempting bit of kit....finding info about it is a bit of a
challenge, so here's basically all I could find about it on the net...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14927
"You will get a 3GHz P4 800 FSB chip but, we are quite confident, not a
Prescott one; an 8X multi-standard DVD/CD recorder, 16X DVD reader, an
ATI-powered 9800 XXL card with 128 MB of Ram; 512 MB of Samsung memory, a
huge 200GB Seagate disk, stereo TV tuner, remote, 8 in 1 card reader and
802,11g 54 M bit W LAN." (etc etc)

Here's what Computer Active thought of the lower spec Medion 8080 when it
went on
sale for £100 more in November 2003:
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/Products/Hardware/1151813

Here's the spec (in Dutch, but you should be able to work it out!)
http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL/OFFER_13/OFF01_T.HTM
http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL/OFFER_13/COMP.JPG

Which is the ONLY full detail I can get on this thing. Someone gave me a
flyer, but of course I lost it!

Here's a cheesy video about it, in a version for either dialup or broadband
http://download.medion.de/medion/united_kingdom/MD8083kle.mpg - 2Mb
http://download.medion.de/medion/united_kingdom/MD8083gre.mpg - 8Mb

And here's a Flash presentation..
http://download.medion.de/medion/united_kingdom/TitaniumPC_MD8083.swf'

Any thoughts?

Richard Colton

Mar 28, 2004, 3:33:18 PM3/28/04

"Alan" <re...@thisgroup.please> wrote in message

Yeah, it's an absolute bargain for the money. All the parts used are
quality componants, and with a three year on-site warranty you can't go
wrong. Add to that the fact you'd end up spending 2-300 pounds more to
build the machine yourself.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<

Johannes H Andersen

Mar 28, 2004, 4:02:39 PM3/28/04

Alan wrote:

No need to start a new thread on this.

Alan Parker

Mar 28, 2004, 5:24:58 PM3/28/04
"Johannes H Andersen" <johs@sizefitter_0_0_0_0_.com> wrote in message

> Alan wrote:
>
> No need to start a new thread on this.

Sorry - I didn't see that there was already a thread. The only one I could
find on Google ( http://snipurl.com/5d5i )started well but soon descended
into a slagging-off of pikey people and their supermarket of choice, and
from experience a thread like that is dead already. Hence a fresh start,
hopefully concentrating on the task in hand rather than personality clashes.
Dammit...now I've gone off topic!

Alan Norris

Mar 28, 2004, 6:17:20 PM3/28/04

What new thread - in uk.comp.misc it is a new thread.

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

RiTSo

Mar 28, 2004, 6:22:58 PM3/28/04
Richard Colton wrote:

: All the parts used are quality componants,

Not trying to play the devils advocate, but how do you know this??

--
RiTSo

Roy S Schestowitz

Mar 29, 2004, 5:50:12 AM3/29/04
I second that. Apart from the Seagate HDD, how do you know if you are
getting good components? The warranty, I suppose, would make up for low
quality hardware.

Roy

"RiTSo" <RiTSo**SPAM**@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Roy S Schestowitz

Mar 29, 2004, 5:52:52 AM3/29/04
I can't see a monitor included. That would be a crucial factor too.

Roy

Richard Colton

Mar 29, 2004, 8:03:20 AM3/29/04

"Roy S Schestowitz" <sch-at-daniels...@use-address-before-at.com>
wrote in message news:c48uta$20e$1...@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...

> I second that. Apart from the Seagate HDD, how do you know if you are
> getting good components?

MSI motherboard. High end Radeon Graphics, Seagate HD, Pioneer 107 DVDR etc
etc.

> The warranty, I suppose, would make up for low
> quality hardware.

It would but in this case you get the warranty and good quality componants.

BTW, please don't top-post, it makes the thread much harder to follow.

steeler

Mar 29, 2004, 10:16:57 AM3/29/04

wrote in message news:c48v2g$20p$1...@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...

> I can't see a monitor included. That would be a crucial factor too.
>
> Roy

It isn't, but you want a bit much at that price. They are selling the 17"
FTF for £250.

Denise

Mar 29, 2004, 2:17:56 PM3/29/04

"Alan" <re...@thisgroup.please> wrote in message
Very good review in current issue of Computer Active.

Nigel

Mar 29, 2004, 2:40:26 PM3/29/04
When did the issue of computer buyer come out- I looked for it on Saturday
and the next one didn't seem to be out till Thursday!!! Not much use then!!!

Does it come out early??

Also my friend was in Aldi today and they said each shop will only have 15
to 20 computers -will they take orders if they run out??/

Thanks.
Nigel

---

steeler

Mar 29, 2004, 5:13:21 PM3/29/04

"Nigel" <df...@sdfs.com> wrote in message

> When did the issue of computer buyer come out- I looked for it on Saturday
> and the next one didn't seem to be out till Thursday!!! Not much use
then!!!

> Does it come out early??

I believe subs get it early.

> Also my friend was in Aldi today and they said each shop will only have 15
> to 20 computers -will they take orders if they run out??/

they have in the past and have for the recent laptop offer.

Johannes H Andersen

Mar 30, 2004, 11:29:10 AM3/30/04

Nigel wrote:

> When did the issue of computer buyer come out- I looked for it on Saturday
> and the next one didn't seem to be out till Thursday!!! Not much use then!!!
>
> Does it come out early??
>
> Also my friend was in Aldi today and they said each shop will only have 15
> to 20 computers -will they take orders if they run out??/

Aldi will only take dosh or debit card, no cheque or creditcard, that rules
me out anyway.

Alan

Mar 30, 2004, 1:25:38 PM3/30/04
So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must be
a "spoiler" into the mix:
http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870

I've picked out the points where it exceeds (or not!) the Aldi offer:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor
- Well, I like AMD, but it's no Hyperthreading "real" 4Ghz! Or is it?

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home
-Same

Memory - 1024MB DDR RAM
- DOUBLE the Aldi

Hard Disk - 200GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 Drive
Optical 1 - 8x Multiformat (+/-) DVD-Rewiter / DVD Copier Drive
Optical 2 - 16x DVD-ROM Drive
- All same

Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200 All-In-Wonder Graphics with PCTV & TV Out
- Again, same card (?), but double the DDR

The rest seems about the same spec, and it's about £20 cheaper once you take
delivery into account

HOWEVER!!! There's the stigma of buying a "Tiny" branded machine, and having
seen the un-upgradale trash that passes for a "Tiny" PC a couple have
friends have bought about 3 years ago, I'd never touch them. But then again,
they might have improved. It DOES seem like a good deal! Thoughts?!?

(The rest of the spec)
PC-TV System - PC-TV System, Media Software and Remote Control
Modem - Dedicated high speed Supanet optimised 56K modem*
Internet Access - Supanet Internet Access Preloaded
Network - 10/100 Ethernet Port for Home Networking
Firewire - 2x 1394 Firewire Ports
Card Reader - ConnectPro 10 in 1 Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer
Sound - 6 Channel Sound Onboard
Keyboard etc. - Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse
Ports etc. - 1.44MB Floppy Drive, USB2.0 Ports x4, Parallel & Standard Ports
Case - Full ATX Tower Case with Upgrade Capacity (7 Drive Bays)
Motherboard - MS6741 K8 Micro ATX Motherboard
Software 1 - Microsoft Works Version 7
Software 2 - Microsoft Office 2003 - 60 Day Trial
Software 3 - Cyberlink PowerDVD Software Suite
Software 4 - Pinnacle DVD Copying Suite
Model - S2822
Monitor - Select required screen from options below

Lurch

Mar 30, 2004, 1:54:41 PM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:25:38 +0000 (UTC), in uk.comp.misc "Alan"
<re...@thisgroup.please> strung together this:

>So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must be
>a "spoiler" into the mix:
>http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870

I personally wouldn't touch a Tiny PC with a bargepole, but that's
just me. I'm sure there are others though.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Johannes H Andersen

Mar 30, 2004, 2:10:49 PM3/30/04

Alan wrote:

> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must be
> a "spoiler" into the mix:
> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870
>
> I've picked out the points where it exceeds (or not!) the Aldi offer:
>
> Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor
> - Well, I like AMD, but it's no Hyperthreading "real" 4Ghz! Or is it?

Nevertheless, I would expect the AMD to cost less that the Intel.

> Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home
> -Same
>
> Memory - 1024MB DDR RAM
> - DOUBLE the Aldi

But what type of memory?

> Hard Disk - 200GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 Drive
> Optical 1 - 8x Multiformat (+/-) DVD-Rewiter / DVD Copier Drive
> Optical 2 - 16x DVD-ROM Drive
> - All same
>
> Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200 All-In-Wonder Graphics with PCTV & TV Out
> - Again, same card (?), but double the DDR

Medion: ATi 9800

> The rest seems about the same spec, and it's about £20 cheaper once you take
> delivery into account
>
> HOWEVER!!! There's the stigma of buying a "Tiny" branded machine, and having
> seen the un-upgradale trash that passes for a "Tiny" PC a couple have
> friends have bought about 3 years ago, I'd never touch them. But then again,
> they might have improved. It DOES seem like a good deal! Thoughts?!?
>
> (The rest of the spec)
> PC-TV System - PC-TV System, Media Software and Remote Control
> Modem - Dedicated high speed Supanet optimised 56K modem*
> Internet Access - Supanet Internet Access Preloaded

This is a nasty piece of deception, something for Trading Standards.
It means that the included modem will *only* connect to Supanet ISP.
Time does the same (con)trick.

> Network - 10/100 Ethernet Port for Home Networking
> Firewire - 2x 1394 Firewire Ports
> Card Reader - ConnectPro 10 in 1 Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer
> Sound - 6 Channel Sound Onboard
> Keyboard etc. - Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse
> Ports etc. - 1.44MB Floppy Drive, USB2.0 Ports x4, Parallel & Standard Ports
> Case - Full ATX Tower Case with Upgrade Capacity (7 Drive Bays)
> Motherboard - MS6741 K8 Micro ATX Motherboard
> Software 1 - Microsoft Works Version 7
> Software 2 - Microsoft Office 2003 - 60 Day Trial

Forget about Trial software. Medion has MS word included.

> Software 3 - Cyberlink PowerDVD Software Suite
> Software 4 - Pinnacle DVD Copying Suite
> Model - S2822
> Monitor - Select required screen from options below

I'm buying neither. Aldi require the dosh up front. No cheque or
credit card. So I will probably be assembling my own computer DIY,
that way I can spread the cost over time.

Jon S Green

Mar 30, 2004, 4:47:03 PM3/30/04
"Alan" <re...@thisgroup.please> wrote:

> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must be
> a "spoiler" into the mix:
> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870
>
> I've picked out the points where it exceeds (or not!) the Aldi offer:
>
> Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor
> - Well, I like AMD, but it's no Hyperthreading "real" 4Ghz! Or is it?

Actually, I'd rather have the AMD CPU.

> Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200 All-In-Wonder Graphics with PCTV & TV Out
> - Again, same card (?), but double the DDR

Not so! The Aldi's got a 9800. You want to know the difference?

9200 = £34.
9800 = £315.

(Taking the Abit offerings as an example, prices VAT-inclusive from
dabs.com.)

> The rest seems about the same spec, and it's about £20 cheaper once you take
> delivery into account

But what about support? See my previous posting. Huge difference in
quality, and you get to pay over £200 more to get the equivalent
treatment from Tiny.

> Ports etc. - 1.44MB Floppy Drive, USB2.0 Ports x4, Parallel & Standard Ports

Aldi: 7 USB ports (I believe) -- 3 front, 4 back. No floppy drive.

> Software 2 - Microsoft Office 2003 - 60 Day Trial

Aldi: Microsoft Word 2003, fully licensed. (At least there was on the
end-2003 offering.)

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/

Jon S Green

Mar 30, 2004, 4:49:06 PM3/30/04
Farmer Ted <org...@the.farm> wrote:

> Buy Tiny!!!--"Pay Nothing For 6 Months"!!!

...but the cost of that "interest-free" credit is loaded into the sale
price. They certainly ain't a charity.

Parish

Mar 30, 2004, 4:57:52 PM3/30/04
Jon S Green wrote:

> "Alan" <re...@thisgroup.please> wrote:
>
>> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must be
>> a "spoiler" into the mix:
>> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870
>>
>> I've picked out the points where it exceeds (or not!) the Aldi offer:
>>
>> Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor
>> - Well, I like AMD, but it's no Hyperthreading "real" 4Ghz! Or is it?
>
> Actually, I'd rather have the AMD CPU.
>
>> Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200 All-In-Wonder Graphics with PCTV & TV Out
>> - Again, same card (?), but double the DDR
>
> Not so! The Aldi's got a 9800. You want to know the difference?
>
> 9200 = £34.

Not quite. Alan said the Tiny's got a 9200 *All-In-Wonder* which is £125
(Connect3D from Dabs). Still a lot less than £315 for a 9800, but then
you can get a 128MB (which is what the Aldi comes with) 9800SE for £122
(Sapphire from Dabs) or a 128MB 9800Pro for £169 (also Sapphire from Dabs).

Marcus Houlden

Mar 30, 2004, 5:03:10 PM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:49:06 +0100, Jon S Green <jo...@deadspam.com>
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> Farmer Ted <org...@the.farm> wrote:
>
>> Buy Tiny!!!--"Pay Nothing For 6 Months"!!!
>
> ...but the cost of that "interest-free" credit is loaded into the sale
> price. They certainly ain't a charity.

Tiny aren't a company per se either. They went bust a couple of years ago
and were bought out by Time.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/23880.html and

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid.

Tickettyboo

Mar 30, 2004, 6:29:02 PM3/30/04
In news:c4ce31$brd$1...@hercules.btinternet.com,
Alan whispered softly in my ear....:

> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess
> must be a "spoiler" into the mix:
> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870

Just a thought, but do Tiny provide a proper winXP disk? The Medion pc I
bought from Aldi last year did...and that is rare. It also came with a
primary partition and two logical drives on the extended partition..making
it relatively simple to create more logical drives without interfering
with the installed OS.
This suited me, because I like to have my pc set up in a particular way, I
have two instances of XP installed and a separate drive for my My Docs (
which makes a format and reinstall, should it be necessary, less painful)

--
Ticketty᧧

Dave Stanton

Mar 30, 2004, 11:20:29 PM3/30/04

Yeah, loads of people who wont touch them either. Google on Tiny Computers
sometime !!
Dave

Geoff Winkless

Mar 31, 2004, 4:59:42 AM3/31/04
Alan wrote:
> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess
> must be a "spoiler" into the mix:
> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870
>
> I've picked out the points where it exceeds (or not!) the Aldi offer:

Apart from the stuff other people have mentioned (graphics card etc) you
missed the fact that the Aldi has (RF) wireless keyboard, mouse & remote
control and also wireless network (802.11g) built-in.

Geoff

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 4:16:45 PM3/31/04

"Alan" <re...@thisgroup.please> wrote in message

> So there I was, almost decided, when Tiny go and throw what I guess must
be
> a "spoiler" into the mix:
> http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=8963 - Tiny 3000-64 Special 00870

AMD XP 64 is faster than tha P4 6 Ghz.

9200 gfx card is signicantly slower than the Aldi which is similar to a 9800
Pro.

Tiny are shite - but from them at your own risk.

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 4:19:32 PM3/31/04

"Jon S Green" <jo...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> Farmer Ted <org...@the.farm> wrote:
>
> > Buy Tiny!!!--"Pay Nothing For 6 Months"!!!
>
> ...but the cost of that "interest-free" credit is loaded into the sale
> price. They certainly ain't a charity.

Will use my latest "0% interest free for 9 months" credit card - but not to
buy from Tiny.

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 4:20:57 PM3/31/04

"Farmer Ted" <org...@the.farm> wrote in message

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:49:06 +0100, Jon S Green <jo...@deadspam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Farmer Ted <org...@the.farm> wrote:
> >> Buy Tiny!!!--"Pay Nothing For 6 Months"!!!
> >
> >...but the cost of that "interest-free" credit is loaded into the sale
> >price. They certainly ain't a charity.
> >
> >Jon
>
> True, but i think Johannes H Andersen has cash flow problems, so the
> 6 months could come in handy -----Quote---"I'm buying neither. Aldi

> require the dosh up front. No cheque or credit card. So I will
> probably be assembling my own computer DIY, that way I can spread the
> cost over time."---only jesting with him ;-)

He has a point though. Few ppl would need 1 gb of RAM right now - better to
by 512k now and another in 3 months when it costs 50%. Same reason that you
never buy the very fastest CPU.

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 4:23:52 PM3/31/04

"Parish" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

You are quite right. The 9800XXL ranks between a 9800SE and a Pro - so
value of around £130.

The AMD 64 is about the only AMD chip that is dearer than its Intel
counterpart.

Overall the Tiny machine is junk and the Aldi is a good bargin for anyone
not up to self-building (the reason I would never buy it).

Alan Parker

Mar 31, 2004, 4:54:20 PM3/31/04
"steeler" <nos...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Overall the Tiny machine is junk and the Aldi is a good bargin for anyone
> not up to self-building (the reason I would never buy it).

Well, I've always self-built before, but I really cannot see how you could
possibly get all those components AND the software with 3 years warranty for
anything NEAR that price. The only reason I need it is for video editing and
compression. Otherwise I'd be happy with my crusty old Duron!

Parish

Mar 31, 2004, 6:00:40 PM3/31/04
Alan Parker wrote:

Maybe the people who build Medions have gone bust and it's liquidated
stock? I saw an advert (_not_ Aldi) on TV t'other night for a Medion
laptop for £999 - didn't catch the details as I only took notice when
the name Medion popped up on the screen.

Parish

Richard Colton

Mar 31, 2004, 6:12:56 PM3/31/04

> Alan Parker wrote:
>
> > "steeler" <nos...@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Overall the Tiny machine is junk and the Aldi is a good bargin for
anyone
> >> not up to self-building (the reason I would never buy it).
> >
> > Well, I've always self-built before, but I really cannot see how you
could
> > possibly get all those components AND the software with 3 years warranty
for
> > anything NEAR that price. The only reason I need it is for video editing
and
> > compression. Otherwise I'd be happy with my crusty old Duron!
> >

> Maybe the people who build Medions have gone bust and it's liquidated
> stock?

Nope, Medion/Tevion/Scott and however many other names they trade under are
solvent.
They make shedloads of kit in various fields. Economies of scale? Quite
frankly, I don't care how they do it so long as they actually continue to do
it.

> I saw an advert (_not_ Aldi) on TV t'other night for a Medion
> laptop for £999 - didn't catch the details as I only took notice when
> the name Medion popped up on the screen.

Sounds about right, Aldi had one in a coulple of months back for around that
price with 3 years warranty and insurance. Toys R Us also sell quite a bit
of Medion kit, but it's always considerably more expensive than Aldi.

Parish

Mar 31, 2004, 6:19:15 PM3/31/04
Richard Colton wrote:

> Toys R Us also sell quite a bit of Medion kit

There's got to be a joke there somewhere :-)

Parish

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 6:46:55 PM3/31/04

"Parish" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

You cannot self build that system for the same price with software. I had a
look about just for the sake of it and found I could build a better spec
system with better parts (although the Aldi parts are not bad - but a full
size rather than micro-ATX motherboard would be nice) for around Ł720
delivered.

However no keyboard, mouse, card reader, TV card, speakers or warantee
(other than manufacturers parts - usually one year) and no software.

Personally I have spares of all that stuff so makes no sense for me but I
can see why someone who buys off the shelf or has none of the bits would
find it very attractive.

steeler

Mar 31, 2004, 6:47:28 PM3/31/04

"steeler" <nos...@nomail.com> wrote in message

read 3 ghz not 6 :(

Parish

Mar 31, 2004, 8:29:34 PM3/31/04
steeler wrote:

> "Parish" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Richard Colton wrote:
>>
>>> Toys R Us also sell quite a bit of Medion kit
>>
>> There's got to be a joke there somewhere :-)
>>
>> Parish
>
> You cannot self build that system for the same price with software.

I think you missed the :-) in my reply; I just had this picture in my
head of a high-end machine complete with My First Keyboard and My Firt
Mouse - the type VTech produce/produced - when I read "Toys 'R' Us" :-)

Parish

> I had a look about just for the sake of it and found I could build a
> better spec system with better parts (although the Aldi parts are not
> bad - but a full size rather than micro-ATX motherboard would be

> nice) for around £720 delivered.

dave

Apr 1, 2004, 4:13:50 AM4/1/04

"steeler" <nos...@nomail.com> wrote in message
Hi

Well I am typing this from my new Aldi Pc. Very fast, very well built and
very much worth every penny - got 17" tft as well.

Dave, Oldham.

spammy

Apr 1, 2004, 4:46:11 AM4/1/04
"dave" <david.m...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Well I am typing this from my new Aldi Pc. Very fast, very well built and
> very much worth every penny - got 17" tft as well.
>
> Dave, Oldham.

it was quite scary this morning at aldi... got there at 820 and suprised at
the queue that was already there... initial impressions are good - minor bad
points are the mini atx (not that i can think of anything else id need to
put in there) and the lack of video inputs at the rear of the machine.

Steeler

Apr 1, 2004, 5:27:22 AM4/1/04

> steeler wrote:
>
> > "Parish" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> >> There's got to be a joke there somewhere :-)
> >>
> >> Parish
> >
> > You cannot self build that system for the same price with software.
>
> I think you missed the :-) in my reply; I just had this picture in my
> head of a high-end machine complete with My First Keyboard and My Firt
> Mouse - the type VTech produce/produced - when I read "Toys 'R' Us" :-)
>
> Parish

Yeah, reply was for you but two repies up :-( Useless newsreader, bah!

Johannes H Andersen

Apr 1, 2004, 2:47:52 PM4/1/04

The 0% interest on transfer balance is only available if you take credit on
your credit card at credit card rates, not if you're paying it off. This is
because any payment to the CC company will first pay off the (credit free)
transfer balance before anything else is paid off.

Jock

Apr 2, 2004, 8:30:51 AM4/2/04

Does it come with a monitor? Recent Lidl computer offers did not, which
made them less of a bargain.

Keyboard?

--
Jock.

Johannes H Andersen

Apr 2, 2004, 2:24:35 PM4/2/04

Jock wrote:

> Does it come with a monitor? Recent Lidl computer offers did not, which
> made them less of a bargain.
>
> Keyboard?

Yes, and a remote control pad. But no monitor and no speakers. Actually, I
rather use my own speakers as included speakers are usually the worst
they can get away with. Understandable since not everybody have the same
interests.

Tiny is rather cagey with their spec, they only mention anything if it
is positive. E.g. what is the cache size of the Athlon 64 3000? This
processor speed comes also in a cut down version with half cache size,
but an AMD Athlon 64 3200 should be safe.

Jock

Apr 3, 2004, 1:19:48 PM4/3/04
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:24:35 +0100, Johannes H Andersen wrote:

> Jock wrote:
>>

>> Does it come with a monitor? Recent Lidl computer offers did not, which
>> made them less of a bargain.
>>
>> Keyboard?
>
> Yes, and a remote control pad. But no monitor and no speakers. Actually, I
> rather use my own speakers as included speakers are usually the worst
> they can get away with. Understandable since not everybody have the same
> interests.

Oh yes. I buy my machines locally and don't have keyboards, trackballs
and monitors. The soundcard goes into a Technics hifi amplifier with
4 large speakers.

> Tiny is rather cagey with their spec, they only mention anything if it
> is positive. E.g. what is the cache size of the Athlon 64 3000? This
> processor speed comes also in a cut down version with half cache size,
> but an AMD Athlon 64 3200 should be safe.

Presumably both caches are 64K, as in my Athlon XP 3000.

--
Jock.

Johannes H Andersen

Apr 3, 2004, 1:30:42 PM4/3/04

According to the information on the AMD site, the Athlon 64 has 128k
Level 1 cache (64k data + 64 k instruction). However, the Level 2 cache
(on chip) can be 256k, 512k or 1M.

On another part of their site, they quote that Athlon 64 3000 has 512k and
Athlon 64 3200 has 1M, both running at 2.0 MHz. So no mention of the 256k.
Could it be that there exist early Athlon 64 versions with 256k? That was
what I was hinting at. Why does Tiny not report the cache size of the CPU?

Johannes H Andersen

Apr 4, 2004, 6:36:50 AM4/4/04

Oops, make that 2.0 GHz! My first computer ran at 1 MHz :)

GB

Apr 4, 2004, 7:44:50 AM4/4/04

"Johannes H Andersen"

> Oops, make that 2.0 GHz! My first computer ran at 1 MHz :)

What was it

Johannes H Andersen

Apr 4, 2004, 8:46:19 AM4/4/04

It was called DAI, a Belgian made 8085 based compo. Cost £800 in
around 1981.