ebuyer.com

Dave Hammond

May 8, 2001, 5:42:50 PM5/8/01
I have ordered a components to build a system for the father in law (very
risky I know!) from ebuyer.com. I must say I was extremely impressed by
their service, and prices!

--
Dave Hammond, editor of 5IFTY - 5 Items Free To You.
Have a free £20 bet on this weekend's sport, earn a few quid, and get
freebies. See my site at www.5ifty.net

Eric

May 8, 2001, 6:21:28 PM5/8/01

I've used them a number of times. They're pretty good. They say free
3-day delivery, but the stuff has always arrived next day. The only
problem I had was when a case arrived damaged. They didn't refund the
return carriage (about £7) - I wasn't too happy about that, but on
balance I'd still use them again.

Eric

Andy Mckenzie

May 9, 2001, 7:49:02 AM5/9/01
I'd like to give ebuyer a thumbs up as well - I bought a motherboard from
them before Easter and had problems with it - they use the same phone for
sales and service, so no long wait to talk to someone, their technical
support was good and the best bit was that I sent the board back for testing
on the Thursday before Easter, and had a replacement delivered on the next
Tuesday - effectively next working day service. They get my custom!

Andy

"Dave Hammond" <davidj...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Pc

May 12, 2001, 5:49:46 AM5/12/01
I placed an order with them at 4:20pm on thursday, arrived friday at 9:30.

Stunning service I have to say.

"Andy Mckenzie" <a...@dontspam.bgs.ac.uk> wrote in message

dkh

May 12, 2001, 6:50:44 AM5/12/01
"Pc" <p...@99pec.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
<9dj11g$ev2$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>:

Well , just to balance the arguement - I was doing a quick survey of
delivery charges to Northern Ireland for 'small' pc bits.

I Saw an optical mouse on ebuyer.com for 12.42 ukp inc vat . Good price I
thought so I wondered what it would be with delivery charges to Northern
Ireland.

The answer is Total inc vat and delivery is slightly over 30 quid.

Thats nearly 18 quid to post a mouse. That seems a little unreasonable to
me!
I emailed them to confirm that that would be what they would charge and
they relplied promptly to confirm that it would 30.05

>Dear Mr Higgins,
>
>I can confirm that the charge will be £30.05 for the optical
mouse/delivery
>and VAT to Northern Ireland.
>
>Sincerely,

For contrast jungle would charge 2 ukp for a similar delivery to N Ireland.

Niel Humphreys

May 12, 2001, 8:58:31 AM5/12/01
"dkh" <dhiggins@NO_SPAM_HERE.my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

> Well , just to balance the arguement - I was doing a quick survey of
> delivery charges to Northern Ireland for 'small' pc bits.
>
> I Saw an optical mouse on ebuyer.com for 12.42 ukp inc vat . Good price I
> thought so I wondered what it would be with delivery charges to Northern
> Ireland.
>
> The answer is Total inc vat and delivery is slightly over 30 quid.
>
> Thats nearly 18 quid to post a mouse. That seems a little unreasonable to
> me!
> I emailed them to confirm that that would be what they would charge and
> they relplied promptly to confirm that it would 30.05

This can easily be explained. Some companies use couriers no matter what
they send out depending on how far they are from a post office and such.
SPeaking from experience using Citylink I pay Ł6.50 + VAT for any parcel to
inland UK up to 10 kilos, however ofr Ireland and Northern Ireland they
charge a Ł15+vat surplus in addition to the Ł6.50 making for a very
expensive carriage cost. Now I would pop down to the post office and post it
via royal mail but perhaps this is something Ebuyer just don't do?

--
Niel Humphreys
Snowdon Computers

Andrew

May 12, 2001, 11:29:25 AM5/12/01
Niel Humphreys wrote in message ...

>"dkh" <dhiggins@NO_SPAM_HERE.my-dejanews.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Well , just to balance the arguement - I was doing a quick survey of
>> delivery charges to Northern Ireland for 'small' pc bits.
>>
>> I Saw an optical mouse on ebuyer.com for 12.42 ukp inc vat . Good price I
>> thought so I wondered what it would be with delivery charges to Northern
>> Ireland.
>>
>> The answer is Total inc vat and delivery is slightly over 30 quid.
>>
>> Thats nearly 18 quid to post a mouse. That seems a little unreasonable to
>> me!
>> I emailed them to confirm that that would be what they would charge and
>> they relplied promptly to confirm that it would 30.05
>>
>This can easily be explained. Some companies use couriers no matter what
>they send out depending on how far they are from a post office and such.
>SPeaking from experience using Citylink I pay £6.50 + VAT for any parcel to

>inland UK up to 10 kilos, however ofr Ireland and Northern Ireland they
>charge a £15+vat surplus in addition to the £6.50 making for a very

>expensive carriage cost. Now I would pop down to the post office and post
it
>via royal mail but perhaps this is something Ebuyer just don't do?

You have to appreciate that when you are running a volume business, it is
just not feasible (economically or legistically) to send employees trotting
off to the post office with customers' parcels, just to be able to offer
slightly cheaper delivery charges. They'd simply rather not have your
business.

Of course, if they sent enough parcels through Royal Mail, they could have
them collected from their premises, as they probably do with whatever
courier they use. But I doubt that would prove economical either... unless
a lot of people from N. Ireland start ordering from them!

dkh

May 12, 2001, 12:39:07 PM5/12/01
"Andrew" <and...@kressmanREMOVECAPS.co.uk> wrote in
<9djl24$3gr$1...@taliesin.netcom.net.uk>:

Neil and Andrew ,

sensible comments noted ... however other small operators and indeed large
operators seem to be able to deliver to n Ireland at sensible cost

cclcmputers
dabs.com
over-clock.co.uk
buy.com

all manage with sensible delivery charges (dabs and jungle are 2ukp for
small orders)

even scan (know known for being cheap for delivery only charge) charge
10ukp

It seems odd to me in this 'global ecomony' that companies are only
interested in supplying a quite localised market

Dkh

Andrew Quinn

May 18, 2001, 5:13:25 PM5/18/01
Another person impressed with their service here, ordered a monitor from
them midday on Thursday, was with me by Friday 3pm, I'll certainly be buying
from them again now that I know they appear to be reliable from first hand
experience.

Andrew

Roger Barker

May 18, 2001, 6:56:04 PM5/18/01
In article <ZfgN6.4424$Od1.5...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Andrew
Quinn <andr...@ecosse.net> writes

>Another person impressed with their service here, ordered a monitor from
>them midday on Thursday, was with me by Friday 3pm, I'll certainly be buying
>from them again now that I know they appear to be reliable from first hand
>experience.

In uk.comp.vendors on 14th May you said "I buy mostly from ebuyer now".
Yet the above comment suggests that you didn't have first hand
experience of their service until today (Friday, 18th May). That seems a
bit odd to me, or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

--
Roger Barker ro...@peaksys.co.uk
Boston, UK

Roger Barker

May 18, 2001, 7:07:52 PM5/18/01
In article <ZfgN6.4424$Od1.5...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Andrew
Quinn <andr...@ecosse.net> writes
>Another person impressed with their service here, ordered a monitor from
>them midday on Thursday, was with me by Friday 3pm, I'll certainly be buying
>from them again now that I know they appear to be reliable from first hand
>experience.

I apologise for my previous reply to this article, which I have
attempted to cancel.

I had filed various comments on UK suppliers, and incorrectly attributed
a comment from someone else to Andrew.

William Bennet

May 19, 2001, 6:23:55 AM5/19/01

"Andrew Quinn" <andr...@ecosse.net> wrote in message

> Another person impressed with their service here, ordered a monitor from
> them midday on Thursday, was with me by Friday 3pm, I'll certainly be
buying
> from them again now that I know they appear to be reliable from first hand
> experience.

What exactly went wrong and how did ebayers customer service deal with it ?

Considering every retailer on the planet has 99% success rate with
delivering the goods surely you wouldn't be foolish enough to see an
ordinary delivery as something which sets ebayer apart from the rest.

Andrew Quinn

May 19, 2001, 8:03:50 AM5/19/01
As far as I'm concerned nothing has gone wrong with ebuyers (I presume
that's who you meant) service, so I think you are getting me confused there
with someone else perhaps.

Perhaps most retailers do deliver the stock with such a high success rate as
you say, but what I meant was the speed of the delivery, other places I have
ordered from before have been less diligent in getting the stuff out to me.

And as that was the first time I had used ebuyer all I was trying to say was
that I would certainly be happy to use them again based upon first
impressions and the fact that their prices seem to be a bit better than
others.

There was certainly no need to suggest I was foolish in anything, I don't
order that much stuff, so it's nice to know with certainty that somewhere
appears to be realiable.

"William Bennet" <bill_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

William Bennet

May 19, 2001, 1:46:43 PM5/19/01

> As far as I'm concerned nothing has gone wrong with ebuyers (I presume
> that's who you meant) service, so I think you are getting me confused
there
> with someone else perhaps.
>
> Perhaps most retailers do deliver the stock with such a high success rate
as
> you say, but what I meant was the speed of the delivery, other places I
have
> ordered from before have been less diligent in getting the stuff out to
me.

> And as that was the first time I had used ebuyer all I was trying to say
was
> that I would certainly be happy to use them again based upon first
> impressions and the fact that their prices seem to be a bit better than
> others.
>
> There was certainly no need to suggest I was foolish in anything, I don't
> order that much stuff, so it's nice to know with certainty that somewhere
> appears to be realiable.

Sorry Andrew, I didn't want to imply you were foolish only that a test of
any retail outlet is best based on what happens in those few instances were
things go wrong. How does customer service react to a complaint, if you can
reach them in the first place! Are you happy with the overall outcome ? Did
customer service give you an extra confidence to carry on purchasing at that
outlet, etc, etc ?

That sort of thing.

Eric

May 19, 2001, 3:40:26 PM5/19/01

ebuyer are not actually too bad. Had quite a bit of stuff off them. I
did receive a damaged Nokia case (not their fault - damaged by carrier)
they refunded promptly but didn't refund return carriage - something
that rather annoyed me.

Eric

Bradley Bahar

May 20, 2001, 4:48:00 PM5/20/01
I ham currently experiencing big problems receiving a refund from ebuyer.com
for a faulty processor.

They are difficult to reach by telephone, they do not reply to my e-mails,
their fax number is always engaged and when I do get through they all tell
me a different story.

But, ordering has always been swift...

Paul Cusack

May 25, 2001, 2:40:35 PM5/25/01
I would like to comment on the thread where Jonathon Wall talks about
ebuyer.com's business model. Jonathon, Whilst I know it's not intentional
I think you are misinformed regarding ebuyer only shipping product from
Computer 2000 direct to our customers. This could hardly be further from
the truth as only around 10% of our shipments go direct from them to our
customers. Computer 2000 do however get around 25% of our purchases and are
our largest single supplier. We continue to work hard with them as we grow
our business as they do have a large number of manufacturers. With regard
to us only offering the product set that they offer this is also not correct
as we have many many manufacturers that they do not carry. Here are a few
examples:-

AMD
Fujitsu
Mirai
ECS
Asus
PC Chips
Seagate
Coolermaster
Artec
Alps
LG
Samsung
A4-Tech
Ricoh

We do ship 90% of our orders out of our own warehouse direct to customers.
Within the next two weeks ebuyer will be moving into a brand new purpose
built warehouse which will enable us to increase the number of vendors we
carry. This will however be mainly focused on component products rather
than peripherals. We are currently constrained by space but as soon as our
new building is ready expect to see a greater choice of products in the
motherboard and case categories as we have several containers of product at
sea as we speak. Our aim is to offer component type products at trade
prices to the public and compete on the peripheral products.

I don't think it's fair to compare ebuyer with dabs as I think we have two
different business models. Dabs I know to be a fantastic broad based
reseller with great prices on the vast majority of their product range.
David Atherton is a credit to this business and is the most entertaining and
genuine guy you could meet. He has a great company in Dabs.com in every
sense of the word. Ebuyer's target customer is the technical home user who
like to build his own system or the small computer reseller. We do not want
to be all things to all men. We will however always have fantastic pricing
on the following product lines:-

Memory
Processors
Motherboards
Hard Disk Drives
Cases
Graphics Cards
Floppy Drives
Keyboards
Mice
Monitors

Thank you Jonathon for your kind words regarding ebuyer's management team.
I would like to thank all the customers that have supported us over the last
six months.

Paul Cusack
Managing Director
Ebuyer (UK) Ltd.