Upgraded freenas, and now can't login!

Bob H

Jan 15, 2014, 9:18:57 AM1/15/14
I know I said it was nas4free I was using in another thread, but it is
really Feenas. My bad, doh!

Anyway I did a firmware upgrade using the webGUI, and all went well, as
my network drives are visible as they were before.

After the last reboot of freenas, I was asked for the password, and to
type it again.

Now when I try to access the webgui after logging off, my default
username and or password is not accepted.

I am not saying I might have made a typo when entering my password and
have tried a couple of variations without success.

is there anyway of retrieving my username and password or am I stuffed.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jan 15, 2014, 11:28:33 AM1/15/14
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:18:57 +0000, Bob H <b...@despammer.com> wrote:

>I know I said it was nas4free I was using in another thread, but it is
>really Feenas. My bad, doh!
>
>Anyway I did a firmware upgrade using the webGUI, and all went well, as
>my network drives are visible as they were before.
>
>After the last reboot of freenas, I was asked for the password, and to
>type it again.

That seems odd, I don't think I've every had that asked outside a
brand new install.

>Now when I try to access the webgui after logging off, my default
>username and or password is not accepted.
>
>I am not saying I might have made a typo when entering my password and
>have tried a couple of variations without success.
>
>is there anyway of retrieving my username and password or am I stuffed.

At the machine, plug in a keyboard and screen. One of the options
available is "Reset web gui credentials".

And please, just read the damn instructions. They're there to be used,
and you run continuous risk of simply losing all your data if you
don't know what you're doing.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Dawn is a beautiful way to end an evening. It's a lousy way
to start a day." - Dominic Flandry

GB

Jan 15, 2014, 11:50:02 AM1/15/14
On 15/01/2014 16:28, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> And please, just read the damn instructions. They're there to be used,
> and you run continuous risk of simply losing all your data if you
> don't know what you're doing.

He'd just reinstall the data from the backups.

Maybe. :)

Bob H

Jan 15, 2014, 12:09:27 PM1/15/14
On 15/01/2014 16:28, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
I did actually read some documentation:
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS

and this:
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/What%27s_New_in_9.2.0

I have found out that the admin account was removed in version 9.2, and
changed to root.

Now pardon if I am wrong but I did not see that in what I read.

Bob H

Jan 15, 2014, 12:13:59 PM1/15/14
Yes I am wrong, as I found the relevant information:

The built-in admin user account is no longer used and Account → Admin
Account has been removed. The first time the FreeNAS® graphical
interface is accessed, a pop-up menu will prompt for the root password.
Subsequent logins to the graphical interface will require this password.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jan 15, 2014, 12:17:25 PM1/15/14
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:13:59 +0000, Bob H <b...@despammer.com> wrote:

>Yes I am wrong, as I found the relevant information:
>
>The built-in admin user account is no longer used and Account ? Admin
>Account has been removed. The first time the FreeNAS� graphical
>interface is accessed, a pop-up menu will prompt for the root password.
>Subsequent logins to the graphical interface will require this password.

Thanks - I've not gone to the latest version yet. What an odd design
choice.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Homographic homophonic autantonyms: "They're words that
do their job in the most sullen, passive-aggressive way

Johny B Good

Jan 15, 2014, 12:48:23 PM1/15/14
Assuming the server console still offers the setup menu of previous
versions of FreeNAS (continued with the current renamed to NAS4Free
project), you should be able to setup the password here.

You'll need to have a montor and keyboard connected to the server in
order to do this. If you're running the box "Headless", this means
you'll need to connect a monitor (no problems doing this 'live') and a
keyboard.

With PS/2, officially you're not supposed to 'hot plug' a PS/2
keyboard but I've yet to have buggered anything up doing this during
the last two decades I've been working on PCs. However, the OS
probably won't recognise the attached keyboard without a reboot. In
the case of a usb attached keyboard, you'll probably have the same
problem (it may or may not work - I've never tested this).

You might have to shut down before attaching monitor and keyboard. A
momentary press of the power button might trigger a proper shutdown
(saving you having to force the issue and risk FS errors by leaning on
the power button for the 4 second watchdog timeout period that allows
the bios to wrest control back from the OS and 'pull the plug').

I can't offer any further details since the FreeNAS project was taken
over by iXsystems who trademarked the name forcing the original
developers to rename the freenas project as "NAS4Free". As a
consequence, FreeNAS no longer seems to be as open as it once was.

The best I could do was locate a readme file in the hope that there'd
be some mention of any special procedures to follow for this last
upgrade as was the case for yesterday's NAS4Free upgrade.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of any such upgrading instructions
so no help there to explain what may have gone wrong.
--
Regards, J B Good