Help: 4 Long BIOS Beeps

cdtech

Jan 7, 2008, 3:41:04 PM1/7/08
I have a Compaq/HP DC7100 which sometimes only makes 4 long bios beeps
and refuses to boot!!
I have tried but can't find what this means.
I would think that the power supply could be a probable reason. But
can someone please help me sort this?
Apart from this the machine is otherwise perfectly OK.
Thanks

Kailash

Reply email is valid.

Derek

Jan 7, 2008, 6:43:19 PM1/7/08

"cdtech" <cdt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sounds possible a faulty power supply can trigger a number of faults which
give odd beep codes , coincidentally I have a box on the desk atm which was
giving a stream of single short beeps - I checked the code page which shows
no such code for Pheonix bios and then replaced the PSU which has cured the
problem .Its worth looking for the bios chip just in case they have used a
proprietry chip instead of their own try here
http://www.biosbeeps.com/compaq-bios-beep-codes.html#COMPAQ

Derek

BigH2K

Jan 7, 2008, 6:46:35 PM1/7/08

"cdtech" <cdt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Not sure but think it's a memory error, try cleaning & reseating.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jan 7, 2008, 6:56:34 PM1/7/08
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:41:04 -0800 (PST), cdtech <cdt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a Compaq/HP DC7100 which sometimes only makes 4 long bios beeps
>and refuses to boot!!
>I have tried but can't find what this means.

The only 4-beeps code I can google up for HP machines means service
processor problem, which is clearly not right!

I'd suggest taking all the cards and memory out and reseating them a
couple of times as a first effort.

If that still shows the problem, try it with a minimal configuration
of just motherboard/cpu/one stick of RAM and a video card if
necessary. No drives.

This'll be difficult if the problem is not very common... Does the
machine crash or hang much? Does it ever give the problem if you are
restarting it warm, rather than from being off overnight?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will

2dog...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2014, 8:47:50 AM7/22/14
This is the CORRECT answer: it is either the Power Supply or a voltage regulator on the motherboard. HPs are notoriously sensitive to voltage irregularities.

Johny B Good

Jul 22, 2014, 9:59:14 AM7/22/14
That might not be true today, 6 1/2 years is a long time in the PC
hardware development cycle.
--
J B Good