EMF 2012 logo ideas

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 9:00:22 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

well after that derailing discussion (again, I apologise :) let's kick some ideas around for how to approach a logo.

As was pointed out on IRC the Raspberry Pi logo competition can provide some guidelines for a good logo: it should work at small and large scales, in black/white and colour, use no words other than the event name, it can't be derived from any existing copyrighted work, etc.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/55

Potential building blocks for a logo:

Various iconic symbols could represent strong aspects of the camp. A tent, a soldering iron, a circuit board, stars/planets, a robot, …

The various visual representations of electromagnetic fields have a surprising similarity to isopleth maps of e.g. terrain elevations:
http://www-antenna.ee.titech.ac.jp/~hira/hobby/edu/em/staticem/staticem.html
http://nicksmaps.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/isopleth.html

Or even picket fences:
http://withfriendship.com/images/e/23673/Electromagnetic-field-image.jpg

Other thoughts? Got some rough sketches?

m.

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 9:41:55 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Attached: a first few sketches.

Artag, have a look at the top left H and let me know if this is what you had in mind. (I thought the field lines could replace the usual circle around the H.)

The red splotch in the tent (top right) is supposed to be a soldering iron.

m.

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 10:04:10 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Refining the field lines with an e- and h-field. It becomes massive.

Thanks to the young Emma who contributed a 3D H :)

m.

<emf-logo-01.jpg>

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 10:19:56 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Field contour lines only.

m.

<emf-logo-02.jpg>

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 11:07:31 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
And another one. I think I'm done for now, unless anyone has more ideas of things to try.

(I apologise for the troll formula at the bottom. :)

m.

<emf-logo-03.jpg>

Martin Dittus

Apr 14, 2012, 11:48:17 AM4/14/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Uploaded them all to http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Logo along with a fifth series.

m.

> <emf-logo-04.jpg>

Benjamin Blundell

Apr 26, 2012, 5:34:11 AM4/26/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Just seen the minutes...are we still wanting more? I have a little time at the weekend for a few I think.

Martin Dittus

Apr 26, 2012, 5:44:00 AM4/26/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Always interested in more. We've also received offers from three designers to help out, will pick one in a few days and then let them do the final logo.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that too. The wiki page has all the details.

m.