Skype won't work Creative Live! Cam Vista IM

jim...@3web.com

Dec 29, 2011, 11:22:25 AM12/29/11
to ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
Although I could watch the other end on Skype in my screen, but I
wasn't shown on it. Skype won't work Creative Live! Cam Vista IM. I
opened 'Options' to Video part and tried the black square for test.
The name of the cam appeared in the box ok, but test didn't come on
when I clicked on it. I googled for troubleshooting tips and all I
got did not solve the problem. I noticed in the Ubuntu Software
Centre's reviews that Skype should work good in Ubuntu 11.10. Did I
miss something? Please help? Thank you. Jim
PS I use Ubuntu 11.10 64bits. guvcview and Cheese Webcam Booth both work fine.

Nils Kassube

Dec 29, 2011, 11:38:53 AM12/29/11
to ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
jim...@3web.com wrote:
> Although I could watch the other end on Skype in my screen, but I
> wasn't shown on it. Skype won't work Creative Live! Cam Vista IM. I
> opened 'Options' to Video part and tried the black square for test.
> The name of the cam appeared in the box ok, but test didn't come on
> when I clicked on it. I googled for troubleshooting tips and all I
> got did not solve the problem. I noticed in the Ubuntu Software
> Centre's reviews that Skype should work good in Ubuntu 11.10. Did I
> miss something? Please help? Thank you. Jim
> PS I use Ubuntu 11.10 64bits. guvcview and Cheese Webcam Booth both
> work fine.

Install the package "libv4l-0" and start skype with the command

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

in a terminal.

Nils

Conny Enström

Dec 29, 2011, 3:14:59 PM12/29/11
to Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
2011-12-29 17:22, jim...@3web.com skrev:
> Although I could watch the other end on Skype in my screen, but I wasn't
> shown on it. Skype won't work Creative Live! Cam Vista IM. I opened
> 'Options' to Video part and tried the black square for test. The name of
> the cam appeared in the box ok, but test didn't come on when I clicked
> on it. I googled for troubleshooting tips and all I got did not solve
> the problem. I noticed in the Ubuntu Software Centre's reviews that
> Skype should work good in Ubuntu 11.10. Did I miss something? Please
> help? Thank you. Jim
> PS I use Ubuntu 11.10 64bits. guvcview and Cheese Webcam Booth both work
> fine.

A page called google.com tell me this:
http://linuxhcl.com/browse/product?id=6426

"works well once installed the right kernel module
the instructions to install kernel module are very easy to find
there are problems with skype due to the Skype software unless you
change some parameters manually
perhaps the next versions of skype will solve the problem"

jim...@3web.com

Dec 29, 2011, 7:33:15 PM12/29/11
to ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
In Terminal:

jimkvg@jimkvg-MS-7549:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Huh! I think I already installed "libv4l-0" before, but still not
working! Guess I'll have to wait for update from Skype. Hopefully
very soon!
Thank you Nils
Jim

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Message: 2

Nils Kassube

Dec 30, 2011, 3:31:27 AM12/30/11
to ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
jim...@3web.com wrote:
> jimkvg@jimkvg-MS-7549:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
> skype ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
>
> Huh! I think I already installed "libv4l-0" before, but still not
> working!

Sorry, my bad, but I have a lame excuse: I'm still using Lucid myself
and there it would work. However I just checked the path on Oneiric and
there the librirary is at a different place, so the command would be

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

instead. Hopefully that works - I can't test it myself because I can't
accept the Skype EULA.

> Guess I'll have to wait for update from Skype. Hopefully
> very soon!

I wouldn't hold my breath ... since Skype is owned by Microsoft now, I
would expect the Linux version of Skype to get even less developer time
assigned.

Nils Kassube

Dec 30, 2011, 5:04:47 AM12/30/11
to ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
I wrote:
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Sorry, that was wrong again :(

As you are using 64 bit Oneiric it should be this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype