Wow, that OSD...

Riccardo Kuebler

Sep 6, 2017, 4:52:32 PM9/6/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
... is fantastic = : D
I like the virtual trace of the flight in the video and the OSD spotting
even the plane shadow at ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OWMN6NKkk

Best regards,
Ric

Giulio Berti

Sep 6, 2017, 5:17:07 PM9/6/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
This is REALLY cool!

Giulio :)

Kees Guijt

Sep 8, 2017, 10:14:31 AM9/8/17
to uavdevboard
Very.

More info here:

Kees

Riccardo Kuebler

Sep 8, 2017, 10:28:27 AM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kees,
I had the suspect it was done in postproduction.
Would be nice to have it in real-time while flying: see the flight program and how the plane does it.
Best regards,
Ric

Inviato da TypeApp
---

Phillip Kocmoud

Sep 8, 2017, 10:35:35 AM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
I agree this is very cool, I just wish it could be done in real time for FPV.

Phil

---

Kees Guijt

Leonardo Garberoglio

Sep 8, 2017, 2:14:04 PM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Extracted from project web page
"Everything in this post shows real imagery taken from a real camera from a real uav which is really in flight.  Hopefully that is obvious, but I just want to point out I’m not cheating.  However, with a bit of math and a bit of camera calibration work, and a fairly accurate EKF, we can start drawing the locations of things on top of our real camera view.  These artificial objects appear to stay attached to the real world as we fly around and through them.  This process isn’t perfected, but it is fun to share what I’ve been able to do so far."

they have a powerfull hardware:
  • The autopilot flight controller shown here is built from a beaglebone blaock + mpu6000 + ublox8 + atmega2560.
  • The autopilot is running the AuraUAS software (not one of the more popular and well known open-source autopilots.)

Phillip Kocmoud

Sep 8, 2017, 2:18:29 PM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
The site indicates post processing is used, I do not doubt the raw video is real-time, it is the hub overlay that I wonder about.

The software to post process the videos is all written in python + opencv and licensed under the MIT license.  All you need is a video and a flight log and you can make these videos with your own flights.

I hope it is real-time, I'll buy one today :)

Phil

Leonardo Garberoglio

Sep 8, 2017, 2:28:25 PM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
yes, it's a little confusing. I focuse on "These artificial objects appear to stay attached to the real world as we fly around and through them"

Leo

Riccardo Kuebler

Sep 8, 2017, 3:34:41 PM9/8/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would say it is not the OSD itself which impress me, it is a bit "heavy".
But the horizon is amazing. It seems glued to the real world.
The shadow marker is also amazing, even if it seems more a mirror for allodoles (coud be useful for landing and proximity flight by FPV, but it is not so hard to spot the real shadow, if there is sun).
Showing the flight path is also amazing, but I would prefer to see in advance the flight program, more than see what already happened. I guess FPV racing will come in short with augmented reality virtual gates and goals.
Very interesting anyway to see how things progresses.
Best regards,
Ric

Leonardo Garberoglio

Sep 9, 2017, 9:22:48 AM9/9/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
the author answer:

"Hi Leo, The HUD and augmented reality info is drawn in post process using some python/opencv scripts. It’s not currently real time. Potentially it could be made real time if an appropriate pipeline between camera and computer is rigged up. There could be some latency/time-jitter between the video and the data in real time (?) depending …"

Leonardo Garberoglio

Sep 9, 2017, 9:32:13 AM9/9/17
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
.. but I would prefer to see in advance the flight program, more than see what already happened....

I agree with you, I saw some OSD that print on the screen the next waypoint. It could not be posible in LOGO, I guess, becouse it calculate a lot of WP, right?

BW, Leo