SSL Timeouts - Ethon ssl_connect_error

Sebastiaan Pouyet

Jul 13, 2013, 3:24:33 AM7/13/13
to typh...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm using Typhoeus in our Rails application to connect to an external XML API.
Whenever a user saves his/her credentials for the external service, a authentication call is made to the API (a https POST request).

On my local development machine everything worked fine.
This is initailly also the case when the application is deployed to the server and https is enabled.

However after some the user isn't able to connect to the API anymore due to time-outs.
I checked the logs and found:

  ETHON: performed EASY url= response_code=0 return_code=ssl_connect_error total_time=0.0

Also every requests lasts for about 60 seconds and then time-out. When I connect from a rails console on the server I can make a connection just fine.

In the source it says:
:ssl_connect_error: A problem occurred somewhere in the SSL/TLS
    # handshake. You really want the error buffer and read the message
    # there as it pinpoints the problem slightly more. Could be
    # certificates (file formats, paths, permissions), passwords, and others.

How can I get my hands on this error buffer ? It doesn't seem to be logged (Rails logger level is set to debug), and setting Typhoeus to verbose doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,
Sebastiaan

Hans Hasselberg

Jul 17, 2013, 12:45:55 PM7/17/13
to typh...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sebastiaan,

The URL in your sample log output is empty, but I guess you deleted it,
right?!

If I remember correct there is a method error_message on a response try to
log that instead.

Enabling verbose prints debug output to stdout. It's only helpful when
executing requests in the console.

--
Hans

Sebastiaan Pouyet

Jul 17, 2013, 3:12:51 PM7/17/13
to typh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Thanks for for pointing me in the right direction! I'll investigate further when I'm back home from my vacation :)

Cheers,
Sebastiaan