Meaning of Typhoeus::Request timeout

Ross Cameron

May 16, 2010, 7:40:32 AM5/16/10
to Typhoeus
Having a lot of trouble with my Typhoeus script hanging for long
periods and when interrupted with a control-C reports:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/typhoeus-0.1.24/lib/typhoeus/multi.rb:
20:in `multi_perform': Interrupt

I am guessing it has something to do with the default spec on timeout
(but I could be wrong).

I note that it is by default nil.

Could you please confirm if:
a. it is a connection timeout
b. it is expressed in milliseconds.
c. timeout value of nil or 0 means no timeout
d. 10000 (10 econds) a reasonable value

Regards
Ross

Paul Dix

May 16, 2010, 5:12:33 PM5/16/10
to typh...@googlegroups.com
a. it's not a connection timeout. it's for the whole thing
b. yes, in milliseconds.
c. yes, nil means no timeout. just don't set it if you don't want a timeout
d. reasonable value depends entirely on what you're doing. I
originally designed the library to be used to hit web services in a
user request, so 10 seconds is way too long for that. But if you're
doing some background stuff then sure, 10 seconds is probably fine.

Best,
Paul

Tim Satterfield

Sep 20, 2013, 2:45:51 PM9/20/13
to typh...@googlegroups.com

My experience (As of typheous v0.6.5), is that Typhoeus::Request time-out unit is in fact seconds, not milliseconds.

Overall I find the documentation around timeouts sorely lacking.  Perhaps the maintainer could help in clarifying.

Hans Hasselberg

Sep 21, 2013, 3:32:58 PM9/21/13
to typh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,