How to monitor time elapsed into actors only

Richard Grossman

Feb 16, 2014, 3:17:43 AM2/16/14
to typesafe...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I thinks it's a very simple question but honestly we don't understand how to check this.
I would like to see the time elapsed into the code of the actor itself.
How can I see this in the console in the screen of the actors we see througput msg/time we see max mailbox time and mailbox size

Thanks

Richard Grossman

Apr 1, 2014, 3:45:21 AM4/1/14
to typesafe...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Is there only my questions not answered, or is there really no answer ?
Thanks

h3nk3

Apr 1, 2014, 9:43:39 AM4/1/14
to typesafe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,
Sorry for not getting back to you before - must have missed your original question.

In the actor details view you can use the latency graph to get the average duration for the time measured from when the message was sent until the message processing has completed in the receiving actor.
In other words it's not exactly what you're after since it also includes the sending + mailbox wait time but it still gives you a good overview of the performance of your actor.
Actually one can argue that this is more interesting than the execution time of your business logic since this is the real time from a message being sent until it has been processed.
This is why we have selected this type of duration measurement.
(In previous versions of the Console you could change the type of measurement but we decided to remove this as it was too costly in terms of calculation).

There is also a latency scatter that shows individual durations.
Also interesting is the latency histogram graph.

HTH,
Henrik