Knife sharpening

Jason Kirk

May 12, 2015, 2:50:46 PM5/12/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
I've discovered the joy of keeping one's kitchen knifes sharpened by taking them to the farmer's market occasionally to get sharpened.  But can't afford to take them as regularly as I need to, to keep them maintained well, so was looking into honing and maintenance sharpening on my own.  Anyone have any advice on this?  Rather just be able to drag the knife through a machine to keep them sharp, but getting a wet stone seems like the best option.  What do people here do, and if it's the later, any suggestions on a sharpening stone?

Matthew Barrett

May 13, 2015, 7:43:32 AM5/13/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
Sharpening kitchen knives doesn't take all that long if you keep them in good condition and sharpen regularly. I can do a knife in about 5 minutes.
A (water/oil) stone is a good option but you need some way to keep it flat. Flatness is not as critical for kitchen knives as it is for woodworking tools but I find that it makes things easier.

Are you going to be at the open house this Friday?
I should be available I can bring in my kit and you can try some stuff out.

-Matthew

Jason Kirk

May 13, 2015, 12:09:54 PM5/13/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.  It was my understanding that you hold the knife at a angle when your sharpening it.  Not sure what you mean by flat.

I'll definitely try to be at the open house this Friday, though I mean to most weeks and rarely do.  I'll be the guy at the dining table with the alienware laptop.  What time do you usually show up?

Richard Arnett

May 13, 2015, 12:15:57 PM5/13/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com

Also going back and forth is not good. Push the blade across the stone. Not pull it back.

Richard Arnett
ric...@arnett.org
832.293.3249

Matthew Barrett

May 13, 2015, 2:25:22 PM5/13/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
The surface of the stone must be flat and not convex or concave.
I should be there around 6, I will have a whole pile of sharpening stuff with me.

-Matthew

Matthew Barrett

May 13, 2015, 2:30:47 PM5/13/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
Also, you may want to bring a kitchen knife to sharpen.

-Matthew