Cloud based code development

21 paparan
Langkau ke mesej pertama yang belum dibaca

Jason Kirk

belum dibaca,
28 Mac 2015, 1:21:32 PTG28/03/15
kepada txrx...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone use any general cloud based code development platforms that they like?  Got a chromebox for my father recently and really liked the simplicity of it.  And then after several problems with my cool looking, but heavy and battery-less alien-ware laptop, I'd like to get a cheap chrome-book laptop that would be easier to keep around for coding or 90% of what I do on my laptop.  Codenvy.com looked interesting though I haven't had a chance to look closer at it yet.  It would have to be compatible with github which I've gotten hooked on though I've had a lot of growing pains with it recently.

Jason Kirk

belum dibaca,
28 Mac 2015, 1:23:38 PTG28/03/15
kepada txrx...@googlegroups.com
I should also mention, that while I said general, I code primarily in PHP for Wordpress right now, though like to move onto other things like Python in the future.

Carson Baker

belum dibaca,
29 Mac 2015, 8:04:48 PTG29/03/15
kepada txrx...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jason,

When you say cloud-based IDE, do you actually mean a web-based IDE? I personally haven't seen any that were worth a hoot, and among all the programmers I've worked with, I've never seen anyone use such a thing. I sorta doubt that would be worth even experimenting with.

But if your goal is to have a development environment that you can log into from any terminal, I recommend a Linode or EC2 instance or something like that. You can also install Linux on a Chromebook which would give you more capabilities than what Chrome OS offers out of the box.

I'm also a big fan of Docker. Use that.

- Carson

Jason Kirk

belum dibaca,
29 Mac 2015, 8:59:39 PTG29/03/15
kepada txrx...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks.  Yeah so far I haven't been impressed with what I've seen.

Jeremy Southard

belum dibaca,
30 Mac 2015, 6:22:24 PG30/03/15
kepada txrx...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jason,

Check out Visual Studio Online, it's an IDE and source control rolled up into one that is both browser-based and can work with Visual Studio 2013. It's integrated with Windows Azure as well. So you could, for example, have a WordPress site for about $9/mo on Azure, and have complete control over the code from any dumb terminal with a modern web browser.

Jeremy