International plugs/outlets... and the best solution I've found so far

Jeff Hutchison

Jun 21, 2015, 6:19:34 PM6/21/15
to txrxlabs
In a conversation with Mark Sullivan, the topic of outlets came up.  I figured I'd make a post that might help others*

British outlets are great because you can get more power out of them than you can our puny little 110V15A outlets... Our 220V outlets are great from an available power standpoint, but only a few devices are designed to plug into US220... compared to EVERY device in the UK and EU.

The British outlet can accept a Continental plug... if you defeat the gates that prevent you from doing exactly that... Continental outlets cannot accept anything but pretty much exactly what they were designed to accept.

What a pain, right?  Well, there exists a solution for mechanical* compatibility of almost all electrical plugs into one type of outlet - an example can be found [Here]

Specifically, the Wonpro outlets and adapters are VERY well made, and provided me with a perfect solution to my wild array of various national plugs.

*Keep in mind that there is no voltage conversion happening here (I found I never needed it, as all my applications were 110-220 indifferent or straight 220).  Also, don't expect to be "up to code" if you wire up a bunch of funny Chinese outlets around your house.  And finally... don't blame me if you electrocute yourself - use at your own risk :)