Opinions on a prusa mendel 3D printer kit

Jason Kirk

Nov 15, 2015, 8:56:28 AM11/15/15
to TXRX Labs
Any comments on a prusa mendel 3D printer kit.  I was thinking about getting a kit that my father and I can assemble.  Better than a transistor radio and I like the price point of $600.  I assume the prints won't be great, and I've heard comments on how moving print beds are bad idea.  Just wanted to know if anyone thought it was a waste of money or had any experience with them.  Or had any suggestions for something else.

LordeVoldemort

Nov 15, 2015, 10:41:08 AM11/15/15
to TXRX Labs
There are a lot of Prusa derivatives, and $600 seems a bit much. Are you getting a metal one? I'd just make sure to get one with good documentation because I've seen people having trouble assembling them. Ask for or download the instructions before buying.

With a $600 budget look into an assembled printrbot simple metal, it just works and you can still tinker/upgrade stuff if you wish. Some folks at Creatorspace have them and their feedback is very positive.

Jason Kirk

Nov 16, 2015, 11:21:23 PM11/16/15
to txrx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the frame is better, no soldering.  Thanks for the info.