Finding Tweets about Places

Matt Harris

Dec 8, 2010, 12:02:41 PM12/8/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi everyone,

This summer we started letting users add a place to a Tweet. Since then we’ve seen that people want to tweet about a variety of places, from businesses to parks to neighborhoods.

We have been working with a number of partners to grow our data set of places to make it easier for you to build great Twitter experiences around places, and offer more place choices to users. These partnerships serve as a foundation for a number of exciting features we have planned to help users find what’s new in their area and around the world.

To make it easy for you to use the large data set, we’re using an index that combines the IDs across different partners into one. This means you can use the IDs from your preferred partner’s dataset when using Twitter Search to find Tweets about a specific place.

Thanks to our partners: A&E Television Networks and History, Apontador, CityGrid Media, DotMenu/Allmenus, Gowalla, Infogroup, Localeze, Maponics, OpenTable, TomTom, Wcities, Yellow Pages Group (Canada), and Zagat.

Information on how to find Tweets about places and the list of supported partners can be found on our Developer Resources Site:

Thanks,
Matt Harris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris