Alternate Seeder for Twister Network

Lyndsay Roger

Aug 21, 2015, 4:43:48 PM8/21/15
to twister-users
Hi

After a lot of time, life has allowed me to work on my alternate seeder for the Twister Network written in Go.

I have it running on my seeder without any problems. It also supports the new non standard ports functionality.

There are a number of features/improvements I will make over the next few months such as -
- Add a web interface to show system status and statistics
- Improve the scaleability of the code
- Improve code concurrency by using more Go language features.
- Lots of bug fixes

I have also created a small utility to encode/decode the non standard ports. It was very useful in testing the seeder code.

Feel free to run these applications and let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks.

Miguel Freitas

Aug 21, 2015, 5:10:49 PM8/21/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lyndsay,

So cool!! :-)

The current C seeder code is quite hacky, but since it just works it never really occurred me anybody would take the time to rewrite it from scratch. Great work!

regards,

Miguel

Erkan Yilmaz

Aug 21, 2015, 5:59:27 PM8/21/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Lyndsay

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Diese eMail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese eMail irrtuemlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

Lyndsay Roger

Aug 22, 2015, 2:41:12 AM8/22/15
to twister-users
No Worries.

I am upskilling on Go and enjoying it. Currently looking at details of the latest Go version v1.5 and how it can easily be cross compiled to Linux, Mac OSX, Windows and ARM based systems like the Raspberry Pi.

I will let people know when I add features to the system.

Regards,
Lyndsay.

Lyndsay Roger

Sep 12, 2015, 5:22:04 PM9/12/15
to twister-users
I have added some features to the seeder http://github.com/gombadi/dnsseeder -

* Supports multiple networks. You can run multiple seeders (Twister, Bitcoin) off one ip address.

* Uses Go Language so it can easily be compiled and run on multiple platforms.

* Minimal resource requirements. Will easily seed multiple networks on a Raspberry Pi 1 Mobel B+

* Restricts the number of addresses accepted from any one node.

* Cycle through working nodes to keep the active list fresh

* Reduces bandwidth usage on nodes if it has many working nodes already in the system.

* Ability to generate and edit your own seeder config file to support new networks.

### Planned features

* Support remote crawlers. Run the DNS seeder on one system and the crawlers on a different system.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is using it and what they think.

Have Fun,

Lyndsay

Erkan Yilmaz

Sep 12, 2015, 6:43:23 PM9/12/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
> I would be interested to know if anyone else is using it and what they think.
I am using it, but currently only to find new peers
I am in a restrictive environment and can with this increase with that my active DHT nodes also.

Lyndsay Roger

Sep 12, 2015, 8:14:02 PM9/12/15
to twister-users
Hi

Thanks for the update.
Just to let you know that I am thinking of removing the web interface - let me know if that would be a problem for you :-)

Erkan Yilmaz

Sep 12, 2015, 9:08:40 PM9/12/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
go ahead, I don't use the webinterface